• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Say "Fuzzy Pickles." Ness Video/Critique Thread

twinx

Smash Cadet
having some trouble with falco so i uploaded a vid of me playing earlier in the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcwKUogJTm4&feature=youtu.be can anyone give me some tips on what im doing wrong?
when falco spams Dairs,try to beat it by spacing rising nairs and fairs. if falco is the aggresor and is applying pressure with shines and dairs onyour shield/ your getting comboe'd,just get out of the situation and return to neutral. don't try to challenge it unless you know what your doing will beat outa his option that he's trying. just wave dash out of shield or roll. if you get falco on a platform caus you hit him and he landed on it and didn't tech,just wait for hi to make the first moveand then folllowup with something. if falco is in range to side b either on the platfor or the stage,i like to do a shorty hop nair so that way you can react if he chooses to up b or osmething. other than that,you got good combos and follow ups. and you capitalize of alot of things. just try to get the falco to play YOUR game by baiting him with whiffed air pk fires and DJC'd aerials. sorry if my post is a mess but i treid

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
when falco spams Dairs,try to beat it by spacing rising nairs and fairs. if falco is the aggresor and is applying pressure with shines and dairs onyour shield/ your getting comboe'd,just get out of the situation and return to neutral. don't try to challenge it unless you know what your doing will beat outa his option that he's trying. just wave dash out of shield or roll. if you get falco on a platform caus you hit him and he landed on it and didn't tech,just wait for hi to make the first moveand then folllowup with something. if falco is in range to side b either on the platfor or the stage,i like to do a shorty hop nair so that way you can react if he chooses to up b or osmething. other than that,you got good combos and follow ups. and you capitalize of alot of things. just try to get the falco to play YOUR game by baiting him with whiffed air pk fires and DJC'd aerials. sorry if my post is a mess but i treid
thank you i appreciate the help

GMaster171

Smash Ace
My vids from FGX this past weekend are up, only got 3 of the on stream but 2 of them are some of the best ones I'v played.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-WvF3PfwEk&list=PLCfwj3CGMWEd7VGjJkGIIGpKQT4shmbOU&index=7 Me vs Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p15QxtBdQkw&list=PLCfwj3CGMWEd7VGjJkGIIGpKQT4shmbOU&index=1 Me vs DJHyrule (sparring partner, good matches)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke9X3GudArQ&list=PLCfwj3CGMWEd7VGjJkGIIGpKQT4shmbOU&index=14 Me vs FiXiT (Ness ditto and most fun match I'v ever had, must see)

I'll work on updating the OP soon.

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
bruh that pressure tho

your pillars are so strong, do you use tap jump to get your djcs that fast? I put on tap jump for the sole purpose of doing instant dais but i was never able to implement them into my game how i wanted, and tap jump was generally annoying enough for me to turn it off again

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i use tap jump SOMETIMES for point blank instant djc dairs

i think in this video i didn't need to use it, even though some dairs looked fast, they weren't instant

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Glad to know you do better combos than this simple one? why we comparing? lol cant we all just say yo that was cool! and move on?

Boiko

:drshrug:
Yeah, super cool video. A lot of that stuff is great theory crafting. Much easier on players that don't know what to expect. Good stufff to tetra though.

Vorr1k

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

The Irish community had a small 3.5 tourney yesterday (sunday) and I took part with my boy ness.

This matchup is VS Link, 1st on Pk2(W), second is Wario Ware (L) and 3rd is Kirby Dream Land (W).

By the end of 3.02 I was playing ness with a little pk fire, so this patch suited me nicely. I missed some inputs and didn't use a couple double jumps but if there's anything you can point out to me please feel free to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOr2tFRb7u0

KhanyeEast commentated it, was good fun.

UmmBees

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,

The Irish community had a small 3.5 tourney yesterday (sunday) and I took part with my boy ness.

This matchup is VS Link, 1st on Pk2(W), second is Wario Ware (L) and 3rd is Kirby Dream Land (W).

By the end of 3.02 I was playing ness with a little pk fire, so this patch suited me nicely. I missed some inputs and didn't use a couple double jumps but if there's anything you can point out to me please feel free to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOr2tFRb7u0

KhanyeEast commentated it, was good fun.
You looked pretty solid, I would say that apart from the usual tech stuff (wavedashing, wwavelanding, L cancelling, SHFFL, etc.) the main points I would say are utilizing the magnet more offensively for approaches and combo extensions. Another is not using as many grounded PK Fires especially now that it doesn't activate on shield as it is very telegraphed, but instead using more DJC, Short hop, and wavebounced/retreating PK Fires. Finally, I would say to use quick DJCs more near the ground for your approaches more as full hop and short hop aerials can become easy to read and slower to hit. Overall you played very well and that Link needs to learn to handle PK Flash because you beat up on him with it.

HarmakPaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
harmak
Now that the vods of me last Sunday were uploaded, what can you guys say about my Ness that I can improve on? Here are some sets that I've lost for the past couple of weeks where I feel like I wasn't shaking:

vs Sora, WS
vs Numerics, LS
vs Bees! , WS
vs Sora (Fox), GF

Here are some set's I've won too, in case you wanna see what works for me a fair amount:

vs Ses, LQ
vs Poob (Boozer), LS
vs Bees!, LF
vs Ses, a different LQ (both of us were choking hard, might as well add this in)

Extra notes:
Bees! is a training partner
Numerics is the first time I've ever fought a ZSS who knows how to use her, in friendlies or bracket (aside from one stock of a friendly which was cut short since the tourney was starting)
Sora thinks I'm legit
I haven't fought a serious DK from Poob in forever (last time was at an SG monthly in mid-April)

Last edited:

HarmakPaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
harmak
Bump since it seems like anyone who might've seen this forgot about it. Sorry for the double post, but I'd like to have the outside perspective on what I need to work on

DarkPancake

Smash Cadet
Hey y'all what do you think of 3.5 Ness?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWGoCjXXkhU
You want to get better? Work on your tech skill. This can probably be said of many Ness mains, but against falco you need to consistently be getting 70-80% off a grab, or at least leading into a potential edgeguard. after 2 Uthrows, djc Uair into regrab if you can. It can be tricky on stages like FoD but try to follow up as best as you can. In my experience Usmash is a good option for combos if you are unsure if they are going to tech or not, or land on a platform or not.

Tech skill is hugely important with Ness imo. work on oos punishes as well. You can djc bair into grab if falco Fsmashes your shield from behind. if he hits your shield from above your only options are nair oos, or roll. Grabbing will likely get you shined.

DarkPancake

Smash Cadet
Now that the vods of me last Sunday were uploaded, what can you guys say about my Ness that I can improve on? Here are some sets that I've lost for the past couple of weeks where I feel like I wasn't shaking:

vs Sora, WS
vs Numerics, LS
vs Bees! , WS
vs Sora (Fox), GF

Here are some set's I've won too, in case you wanna see what works for me a fair amount:

vs Ses, LQ
vs Poob (Boozer), LS
vs Bees!, LF
vs Ses, a different LQ (both of us were choking hard, might as well add this in)

Extra notes:
Bees! is a training partner
Numerics is the first time I've ever fought a ZSS who knows how to use her, in friendlies or bracket (aside from one stock of a friendly which was cut short since the tourney was starting)
Sora thinks I'm legit
I haven't fought a serious DK from Poob in forever (last time was at an SG monthly in mid-April)
I watched the set vs poob's bowser and the one thing I noticed is that your punishes on a heavy character like bowser are not nearly hard enough or consistent enough. You grabbed him at 0% at 6:10 and got 1 ariel. Your options for comboing him are many, but you chose to just full hop dair. You could have done full hop djc dair into regrab (this works wonders at low percents because they aren't damaged enough to go into tumble/heavy hitstun/whatever so they can't tech. its like a guaranteed falco spike into shine at low percents.) , or magnet into uair or nair. What I like to do vs heavy characters is mixup guaranteed combos with spike into the ground to force them to try to guess when to tech.

Lookie here! I made a video just for you! I recreated exactly the circumstances at 6:10 vs Poob. Just an example of how you could punish. Keep in mind this combo took me a few attempts, and using magnets in a combo is really unreliable, but it is good situationally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qi1bN0-k_o

sorry for the crappy video quality, I ordered a capture card but it hasn't come yet.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Alright, anyone have any suggestions for bad spacies? For some reason I can't 4 stock this guy. And that yoshi's game UGGHH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_SB8MA7pK0
Stop fishing for grabs. Mix up the up air after the second grab. Any good player with SDI it and you won't get a regrab/follow up. Tech chasing with dash attack is a good option sometimes, especially when you get the read on their tech.

Steak1ey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-3765-3357
Looking for any tips you can give me in this match, such as matchup pointers or bad habits I have. Any input would be much apreciated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNHwk_u59M8
I'm Hondo!
I know this is a bit late but I thought I'd still give my input on this match. You've got a lot of positives here. I loved your spacing a lot, but you started to lose it during game one. I really thought you were going to take that match but you stopped respecting Falcon less than midway through the match. Your movement was so good though. Try to use that against your opponents. Focus more on moving and being in the right position rather than just throwing out unsafe aerial attacks. Staying on the ground against Falcon is KEY.

I saw you made super good use of crouch cancelling into dtilt grab. Always a good counter against Falcons Nairs, so good job with that.

Try to work on your recovery sweetspots. It takes infinite practice to really get it perfect, but it's incredibly doable. There were several moments you threw yourself on the stage and it made you super vulnerable.

I thought you played your best on Green Hill Zone. You played a good aggression game on him mid game with magnet and fair. Being super aggressive with Falcon is definitely preferable (without undermining his small windows of countering). All I would suggest is work on your follow ups. You did the right thing by using uthrow at low percent, but there were no followups. Always upthrow for grabs 1 and 2 from 0%, but from that point on convert with dthrow, chaining each with Magnet djc fair.

tl'dr
Spacing
Movement!!
CC's
Matchup Knowledge (or weightclass knowledge)

Followups
Overcommitment
Recovery

Last edited:

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. I dual Main Both Mario and Ness and ways looking to get some crtiques on my ness game.

Things i believe i need to improve?
-My Fair spacing
-Sweetspot recovering

Nothing else comes to mind. Im not only looking for MU specific stuff, but even overall. Do my DJC need to be cleaner, should i opt for "this" instead of "that".

Thank You

Top Bottom