• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Satoru Iwata was a man that I loved to see give his directs. He had such a nice personality and was a good president for Nintendo. Now he's gone ;_;

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I still can't believe... I'm literally heartbroken; He was a legend.. the face of Nintendo, you can't argue, he literally was the company personified. The Nintendo Directs, the Iwata Asks, all gave an extremely good exposure for Nintendo, and even other companies are now aiming to do something alike that format. He was charismatic..
I just can't deal with this... RIP Iwata, you was the best Nintendo CEO to me.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Iwata has made contributions to ALL of Nintendo franchises. Few Nintendo executives can claim that. From Fire Emblem and Earthbound to Pokemon and Smash Bros, this man has done it all.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I heard about his illness but I thought he was getting better. God, I'm really broken up about this.

R.I.P Iwata-sama

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
This is surprising, and very sad news.
I honestly never really knew he was in bad health. It's so unfortunate that he should pass away so young.

His legacy will certainly live on - I've always had great respect for him; I'm sure we all have.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm honestly crying, if it weren't for him I don't know where I'd be, without nintendo and by extension him I honestly think I would've been dead by now. The only thing making me want to keep going is the idea of future games.

You will be missed Iwata, I genuinely don't think things will ever be the same without you

raizur

Smash Cadet
NNID
raizur
3DS FC
4425-1652-3596
He was too young. Too gentile. He left a great legacy behind, and created so many wonderful memories for so many people, old and young. He will greatly be missed, rest in peace Satoru Iwata.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This can't be real. I wish he could've lived longer, but I'm glad that he got to accomplish so much in his life, and we'll always remember him when he was at the top, as president of nintendo. I hope that he didn't suffer too much and that he knows that millions cared for him, and that he could die without regret. I hope he was able to rest in peace. Legends of his programming prime will live on in Pokemon, Earthbound and Smash.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I cannot believe Satoru Iwata is gone... I never thought a celebrity death would actually make me cry...

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Man...:sadeyes: Rest In Peace Mr. Iwata. I honestly can't think of anything else to say except for this: Thank you for everything. If it weren't for you, there wouldn't be a Nintendo today, nor would some of my favorite games of all time (i.e. Super Mario Galaxy 2) exist.

Last edited:

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
R.I.P. may you stare at heavenly bananas in the afterlife my friend... you will be missed very much... :(

HappyBear801

Smash Rookie
NNID
HappyBear801
Mr. Satoru Iwata, I just wanted to say... Well, merely, thank you. For all of this. For this community of Nintendo fans that can be unweildy but when brought to the wire is a tight knot of people who love your creations equally. For these wonderful games that bring so much joy to so many, and I hope you felt the same amount of joy in giving us them. And, lastly, for all the heart you have put into this company to make us look forward to everything Nintendo has to offer. I am shocked to hear of your loss but we will always remember it all. Please Understand, that our hearts go Directly To You.

Rest in peace, and move on with vigour. We will miss you dearly.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Damn, there are no words for this... Only goodbyes and the lessons we'll learn.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I'm literally crying right now.... He done so much and had many goals...

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
R.I.P Satoru Iwata, thank you fo all the great games and memories you left in all of us Nintendo fans, nothing in Nintendo will ever be the same without you.

The useless Noob

Smash Rookie
NNID
J-Man12222222222
3DS FC
1521-8109-5080
Switch FC
SW-1368-7992-7977
Rest in peace Mr. Iwata. You were responsible for one of, if not the best childhood a person could've ever asked for. And for that, I thank you. May pit guide you safely to heaven. :'D

Last edited:

Kooby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2020-0031-6506
I'm trying so hard to not cry...but the feels are winning....

Mjolnir/Hunter101

Smash Cadet
NNID
ryfennn
this is tragic. im vowing to make some kind of tribute for this guy.
i didnt start gaming until i was around ten, but i started with Nintendo and have stayed with Nintendo.This is as much a losss to the world as the greatest of artists and tech developers.
i can only imagine what this is like for those who have known the company since their earliest memories.
rest in peace, you amazing man.

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
Thank you for all you've done, Mr. Iwata. Your death is not in vain, I hope you knew that. I want to give my thanks directly to you.

Rest in Peace. You will be greatly missed.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Few people know now that he was a programming genius. I hope Nintendo's next CEO is half as much of a prodigy and gamer as Iwata was, and not some corporate suit going to run Nintendo into the ground.

Going on Sm4sh now with "IWATA" tag.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
truth be told, this hasn't quite hit me very hard, namely because of something personal that happened to me...

but I'm VERY worried about what's going to happen to Nintendo without Iwata... I seriously doubt Miyamoto would want to take charge, even if it's to stand in. and who knows what the next guy will do with Nintendo...

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Very tragic news to hear. He was such a respectable, admirable person and was a huge part of Nintendo for many years. He will be truly missed; Rest in Peace Satoru Iwata.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I still can't believe he's gone. 55 is way too young for someone to die.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

I didn't think I'd be this sad over the death of someone I never met. I doubt there will be a man as accomplished and successful as Iwata for a long time. May he rest in peace in the Overthere.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
What a great guy. There was a lot of hardships he had to deal with, but for the most part, I think he put Nintendo in a good spot throughout his position. RIP Mr. Iwata.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The story never really ends,
And life remains if we pretend
The epilogue's another verse
In the endless tale we all rehearse.

Rest in peace, Iwata-sensei. You will be missed.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I'm just going to start talking.

Nintendo has always been such a huge part of my life, and I can hardly remember it without Iwata. I spent my early childhood years playing Nintendo games and going on walks because I had pretty bad social anxiety, and had a hard time relating with other children. While I'm sure you could view this as those same games enabling my anxiety, they also filled a special place for me.

I ended up getting over my anxiety a little later on. But I have so many fond memories of playing different Nintendo series with my sister and friends. In many ways, I think the world of the developed series that I have played for years from Nintendo, and of course Iwata was one I have to thank for that.

Then here in my 20s, I read that Iwata has passed away. I still woke up early to watch your directs in anticipation. I still looked forward to hearing you talk about your games. I may be in University now, but I still treasure what Nintendo had done for me, and the quality games they have released over the years.

So. Thank you very much Mr. Iwata. Thank you for all you had done. Thank you for helping to change the face of gaming and truly caring about the people that play your games. Thank you for always aiming to be creative, original and innovative.

You may have been too young, but the impact you had on so many people's lives leads to many, many years of enjoyment and appreciation.

Thank you, for everything, Mr. Satoru Iwata. We will all miss you dearly.

Top Bottom