• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
I want to say DotA 2 will be good, because it's made by Valve but I have some doubts. I know for TF2, they basically cut all the corners off of TFC, removed grenades , bhopping, conc jumping, and other exploits that made TFC great.

I don't like their decision of adding hats and new weapons every other patch for two reasons: it clutters the game visually and causes imbalance (though, I miss being able to 1-shot a medic with the Equalizer), but does keep the game fresh and it's great that the developers are giving free content to their player base (unlike IW with CoD. **** paid DLC).

Definitely going to buy it though.

I've never really played DotA so some questions:
1. How does a melee champion lane against a ranged champion in DotA? I know that the developers in LoL removed denying to streamline the game and supposedly reduce the imbalance between melee and ranged champions during laning. The imbalance in LoL is still there, melee champs without the ability to harass will go starved.

2. I suppose. Does DotA have cooldown reduction items? Or champions that don't rely on mana but on other resources like health?

3. No idea about DotA. A lot of items work on multiple champions in LoL.

4. No comment

5&6. Map control or map awareness? It's true that you can't immediately teleport to an allied unit/structure without the use of a summoner spell except for a few global ultimates (Twisted Fate, lolPantheon).

I suppose this is the reason why TF is considered so strong. If he wins his lane his opposing laner loses the safety of the tower, and rest of his opponents are put at risk.

Normally ganks from junglers can be counteracted by warding the river and not overextending, while mid towers are close enough to flash to.

Even if you don't overextend, TF can ult in, stun, and gank you with little to no risk. Past laning phase? He'll just ult and backdoor your tower/inhibitor and use his summoner teleport to get away with no risk as well.

7. I suppose the lower amount of juking in LoL is due to the lack of intricate and impassable terrain. In DotA, I know there are small paths in the trees in which you can run and break line of sight while brush can be freely entered from any part.

Might sound a bit uninformed about both games, but this is definitely more entertaining than studying for finals
Hm...let's see...

1. Laning is much more difficult in DotA than LoL overall. Squishy late game melee carries (like spectre, pa, etc.) need babysitting to gain the experience, last hits, and levels to transition well into late game. Common melee solo laners are doom, clockwerk, dragon knight, kunkka. These heroes often have high hp/armor (doom, dk) or good harassment/farming skills (clock, kunkka). It is definitely harder overall for melee heroes, but it isn't impossible to win your lane with a couple of good ganks or an early tower push from your team.

2. This is a very generalized explanation, but agility + strength heroes have very low mana regeneration and only 1-2 skills that use mana. Agility heroes will typically invest in attack speed items and damage. Strength heroes will invest in armor/tanking/regeneration/spell reduction items. Intelligence heroes will invest in mana capacity and regeneration. Again this is a veryyyyy broad explanation.

Almost all skills require mana with the exception of things like huskar's burning spears and his ultimate...stuff like that. But even in the beginning phases of laning, I feel that you can spam your skills indefinitely to harass the enemy heroes without having to worry about not having enough mana a minute later when youre getting ganked or something...whereas if you're spamming your lvl. 2 stun against someone in your lane constantly to "harass" youre just going to get dominated when a gank comes...even if you're an int hero and have a large mana pool. Often times the mana costs on the spells of int heroes are higher...so I guess that's where the mana balance comes in early game.

Cooldowns cannot be reduced unless you have the item "refresher orb" which completely refreshes all your skills ONCE every 210 (I think) seconds. But in general cooldown reduction isn't a game mechanic that's highly implemented in the game. Oh yeah and death prophet's witchcraft reduces all the CD's on her skills...but that's about it.

3. DotA has some flexibility in the builds as well...but investing in a wasteful item in early/mid game can push back your farming for the really crucial items by 5-10 minutes depending on how the game is progressing...In a 50 minute game..this can be huge. On a side note, the item builds can be tailored to your team's strategy as well...If you have a weak late game line up you can go for a game winning 30 minute push and end the game there with the right items.

4. No comment.

5 & 6. Map awareness is the same in both games I would say. Warding is very important in both games as ganks can come from the forest at any point in the game. When heroes are missing from the map it's pretty obvious what they could be doing (healing, buying, jungling, ganking) and wards help with this.

Map CONTROL comes with the mobility of the team and your towers/where your defenses lie. This aspect is clearly lacking in LoL. If I die and buy-back in LoL...wth am I going to do? TP into the fight immediately? I can't do that......In DotA a buyback would be HUGE and potentially game changing because there's always that factor of that really buff medusa that you just took out with all your ults? Guess what? Her farm was so good she's just going to buy back, TP in, and own your faces.

7. Tree eating, fog of war, skills that go through trees, skills that raze trees, the 3 seconds it takes to tp somewhere...So many factors go into juking and I feel like it was all lost in LoL.

That is all. hahahaha

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
What's up SD.

My girlfriend and I were thinking about heading down to SD to spend time at the zoo. Does anyone have the capability to post us for a night so we don't have to drive 100000 hours in one day? The date would be tentative but if anyone is willing that would be amazing!

Also, we'd get some smashing in too of course!

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
What's up SD.

My girlfriend and I were thinking about heading down to SD to spend time at the zoo. Does anyone have the capability to post us for a night so we don't have to drive 100000 hours in one day? The date would be tentative but if anyone is willing that would be amazing!

Also, we'd get some smashing in too of course!
hit up jun. hes usually down to host peeps when hes not busy. not sure if hes attending summer sessions though

Jun.

Smash Lord
Lol Charles I live here now. My family moved down to SD since my brother is going to UCSD too. I live in Sorrento Valley haha.

Hey Nintendoking tell me asap when you know what days you're coming down and I'll try to see who can house you for a night or two?

Jun.

Smash Lord
lol he's already been here for the year.

He doesn't always play but when he does, he prefers Marth.

Stay campy my friends.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Jesse, you're an English major right? How is it?
I'm not really an English major. I'm a Literature/Writing major with the emphasis on the 'Writing'. My significant focus has been on fiction and other forms of creative writing so most of my time has been spent on things a bit more personally interesting so I can't really tell you with 100% accuracy how it is to be a strict English major.

This being said, I've taken quite a few literature classes and the only sensible thing I can really say is that you make sure you really do enjoy reading and writing essays and that you have noticeably decent writing ability.

The reading and writing really accumulate when you begin to fill your schedule with literature courses and it can bet a bit overwhelming. However, if literature is something you sincerely enjoy and writing isn't a big deal to you, studying literature isn't particularly bad at all. I think the quality of a class is often determined by a professor and not the subject matter or coursework itself. If you enjoy reading, the material is never problematic.

The one major negative to majoring in something like Writing or English is that the graduate job market isn't particularly ideal. I just finished my final seminar today. I'll be completely done with everything after next Friday and I have ZERO jobs lined-up.

I'll probably be working at Wal-Mart here in San Diego or selling Mexican popsicles back home until I get accepted into graduate school.

But seriously, do what you enjoy.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

@AzN_Pat: You have my gamecube, correct? Do you think you can bring it to the Lodge tomorrow?

Also, Ganon camps unintentionally. He's too slow to function as a mobile character so his only option is to wait and out-space.

Gameplay styles are genetic.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
and me :D

I'm probably gonna go early

lodge right?

Also, thanks for answering my post, Jesse. Really appreciate it.

mrtracy

Smash Journeyman
so you guys have no idea how sad i was i couldn't make it to the last triweekly, but i had to take being sick seriously since i am about to leave the country in 3 hours. but at any rate, i just wanted to let you guys know how much i looked forward to spending time with this community, you guys are all badasses.

homeruntom - still impressed by your homerun..****. you and me, homerun bats on one day.
yuta - the up and comer, keep falco alive! you're gonna **** so soon dude, just play it cool and keep those mindgames flowing
david - every now and then you beat me... i'm ashamed of it, but it goes to show how much better you've gotten. you gotta represent UCSD marths
anthony - thanks for letting us smash at your place dude! keep those fox bairs alive
ky - your falcon style is hilarious, and you have mad respect from people outside of SD. smashin at your and david's place were some good times man, thanks for letting us smash whenever the **** we wanted and being chill as hell when we did
tristan - love your fox man, ever since we were playing at andrew's apartment over the summer you keep getting better. always holding it down in crews and dropping me off at my car, just too good
engdrew (and ein) - what can i say man, ein is legend. but seriously our a cappella smash connection has to be some of the most random **** ever, but gotta be the most fun too. thanks for driving all the time and being such an active member of the community. seriously though...give up luigi haha
jun - i still remember when you and simon would come over to gonzalos place so we could get some doubles in. crazy how time and the community have changed, and a lot of that thanks to you. keep up the leadership man, we watched it go from 2 to 20, lets see how far it can go
jesse - the hope of SD! i remember kicking your *** at miguel's, and now all i get is ***** haha. i've always been impressed by your dedication, and now you're just movin up the ranks. don't stop man, show those kids what falco can do haha.
pat - damn i feel like there's no way it's been 4 years since i first started smashing with you. one of the coolest TO's i know man, and still rock IC's in tourney. thanks for dedicating so much of your time to SD smash, we appreciate it more than you know
sunny - lol fox. i remember your first tournament match, it was hilarious. but holy **** are you nothing like what you were. you got better faster than anyone i've seen, and all of us old smashers still think you've got massive potential. just stop teaming with eric god.
eric - still remember playing your peach when you were a scrubby freshman haha. playing friendlies with you/in tournament, or just talking about random smash **** are some of my fondest memories of our stupid addiction to this ****. as much as i hate peach, yours is damn good.

to anyone i missed/forgot/should've put on, trust me i've had an absolute blast smashing with you. there isn't a single UCSD smasher i don't like, and it was an honor getting to play this stupid addicting mother ****ing game with some cool people. cuz lets be honest, we don't come for david's chain grabs or eric masturbating the ****ing c stick, it's the community we look forward to. that and some crazy *** crew battles.

alright i got some more packing to do and i haven't slept in a few days so that's my sentimental **** for now. goodbye guys, see you in japan.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
so you guys have no idea how sad i was i couldn't make it to the last triweekly, but i had to take being sick seriously since i am about to leave the country in 3 hours. but at any rate, i just wanted to let you guys know how much i looked forward to spending time with this community, you guys are all badasses.

homeruntom - still impressed by your homerun..****. you and me, homerun bats on one day.
yuta - the up and comer, keep falco alive! you're gonna **** so soon dude, just play it cool and keep those mindgames flowing
david - every now and then you beat me... i'm ashamed of it, but it goes to show how much better you've gotten. you gotta represent UCSD marths
anthony - thanks for letting us smash at your place dude! keep those fox bairs alive
ky - your falcon style is hilarious, and you have mad respect from people outside of SD. smashin at your and david's place were some good times man, thanks for letting us smash whenever the **** we wanted and being chill as hell when we did
tristan - love your fox man, ever since we were playing at andrew's apartment over the summer you keep getting better. always holding it down in crews and dropping me off at my car, just too good
engdrew (and ein) - what can i say man, ein is legend. but seriously our a cappella smash connection has to be some of the most random **** ever, but gotta be the most fun too. thanks for driving all the time and being such an active member of the community. seriously though...give up luigi haha
jun - i still remember when you and simon would come over to gonzalos place so we could get some doubles in. crazy how time and the community have changed, and a lot of that thanks to you. keep up the leadership man, we watched it go from 2 to 20, lets see how far it can go
jesse - the hope of SD! i remember kicking your *** at miguel's, and now all i get is ***** haha. i've always been impressed by your dedication, and now you're just movin up the ranks. don't stop man, show those kids what falco can do haha.
pat - damn i feel like there's no way it's been 4 years since i first started smashing with you. one of the coolest TO's i know man, and still rock IC's in tourney. thanks for dedicating so much of your time to SD smash, we appreciate it more than you know
sunny - lol fox. i remember your first tournament match, it was hilarious. but holy **** are you nothing like what you were. you got better faster than anyone i've seen, and all of us old smashers still think you've got massive potential. just stop teaming with eric god.
eric - still remember playing your peach when you were a scrubby freshman haha. playing friendlies with you/in tournament, or just talking about random smash **** are some of my fondest memories of our stupid addiction to this ****. as much as i hate peach, yours is damn good.

to anyone i missed/forgot/should've put on, trust me i've had an absolute blast smashing with you. there isn't a single UCSD smasher i don't like, and it was an honor getting to play this stupid addicting mother ****ing game with some cool people. cuz lets be honest, we don't come for david's chain grabs or eric masturbating the ****ing c stick, it's the community we look forward to. that and some crazy *** crew battles.

alright i got some more packing to do and i haven't slept in a few days so that's my sentimental **** for now. goodbye guys, see you in japan.
:crying:

It was a pleasure and I know the exact ***-kickings you are talking about. haha. We had a small dispute over the Red Falco, but I ended up giving it to you because I knew I would lose. :awesome: Great times. I'm not sure I've dittoed anyone more than you and I learned so much through all that frustrating ****. hahahaha. I'm slowly getting there with the Yuta-master and I'm going to try my best to raise up SD's fledgling Falcos into beasts with the time I have here.

Good luck with everything and I hope Japan is an amazing experience for you!

@Pat: Oh, can you bring my game too?!?! It was in one of the REC set-ups. There may be a disc in the cube already. This disc belongs to Ky. If there is no disc, then it is safe to assume Ky took it and mine is still in a REC set-up. Thanks. =D

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
or eric masturbating the ****ing c stick
lmao. Hope you're having fun on 12 hour flight. Stay safe, etc etc WE MISS YOU.

@Pat: Oh, can you bring my game too?!?! It was in one of the REC set-ups. There may be a disc in the cube already. This disc belongs to Ky. If there is no disc, then it is safe to assume Ky took it and mine is still in a REC set-up. Thanks. =D
I think we sorted out the games before packing the systems. The game in it should be yours.

whos a CSE major at good old ucsd?
Ky, David

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
this luigi almost beat sunny in tourney :p

just stop teaming with eric god.
QFT

we'll miss you george. sd will miss you.

shaseim4st3r

Smash Journeyman
george, i'm on to your deceiving plan that you're leaving to somewhere. we know ur never leaving.
but if you are.... i hope ur having a safe flight. learned alot from watching you play and stuff.
we'll miss you.

I'll call you up during the summer when i go to japan. lets hang out!

and on a side note, we playing today?

Top Bottom