• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
offense to the current Brawl players in our gang. (Yeah, this means you, ERIC) :)
much better.

i dont really see how we would be getting any system above a wii to the room so have fun with sf4. although i would be down to learn if someone good (ilya) wanted to teach us. most of us will be smashers so that is what ranks, but we shouldnt be opposed to other good competitive games. im personally having fun with mvc3

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
I should be able to sign up and pay the $20 by next week. Btw I think it would be cool if UCSD can still have a big triweekly tournament and have $1 tournaments every week until the big triweekly. But that's just me being cheap with the dollar tournaments lol.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
well the weekly tournaments are probably going to be free, and have some sort of seasonal ranking system go along with it.

1st - 15
2nd - 10
3rd - 7
4th - 5

etc... or something to that extent, those numbers are arbitrary. Then I think we'll have some sort of prize for the leader at the end of the season + a pizza party or two along the way.

I'll still have the triweeklies, they just might be at this place instead. Those'll be the same as any tournament as far as buy-ins go ($5/$5)

HomeRunTom

Smash Apprentice
bored as heck. I'm playing smash on Dolphin (messing around with AR and such) and I also have some recorded footage from playing smash with my friend on Saturday. There's some rather stupid clips I would like to capture but I'm too lazy to do so. Crappy VCR quality FTW.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
No offense to the current Brawl players in our gang. (Yeah, this means you, ERIC) :)
:(

ilija

10names
:047:

well the weekly tournaments are probably going to be free, and have some sort of seasonal ranking system go along with it.

1st - 15
2nd - 10
3rd - 7
4th - 5

etc... or something to that extent, those numbers are arbitrary. Then I think we'll have some sort of prize for the leader at the end of the season + a pizza party or two along the way.

I'll still have the triweeklies, they just might be at this place instead. Those'll be the same as any tournament as far as buy-ins go ($5/$5)
:bee:

apologies

@pat, weeklies $1 please. i want to take yo monies. also, discount on venue fee for class members please. we (when i sign up) are essentially funding the room
There shouldn't be a venue fee for the people in the class imo. Also, I agree with Pat for the weekly tourneys being free. I don't know how many people are willing to throw in a dollar every week...

So how's everyone's break so far...
:glare:

Jun.

Smash Lord
btw in the SoCal PR thread, a MM is about to go down between Baka and Josh (Lanstar). If you guys want some free money bet on Josh.

Lanstar got this.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
i dont think i've ever seen eric's avatar as something other than a pokemon. i like it though. thats your steez

anyways, you better win this weekend lanstar. i dunno if i'll be up there to talk **** for you but i can spam the boards or something lol

Jun.

Smash Lord
I'm not sure. It might just fit his playstyle. I heard it from a few different people and there is a story of a time when he tried to fish Connor into playing as Peach even though its his best matchup. I think Dave (Kira) told me about it one time.

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
I got good at abusing peach's mistakes after playing my friend Keven(peach player, some of you know him, he's a rager). Then, I played bone over summer for 150+ hours and he adapted to my tricks very quickly so I just stopped abusing mistakes because he stopped making them and his DI got so good Comboing him was ridiculously hard. So after that I learned how to play super patient and defensive against peach and it actually hurt my peach game a lot, because when peaches would do stupid stuff, like being over aggressive I'd just freak out and not to what to do. As of somewhat recently(the last few months) I've been working on finding the balance between the two.

TL;DR

I have a lot of knowledge/experience on the match-up and I'm only getting better at it.

mrtracy

Smash Journeyman
I got good at abusing peach's mistakes after playing my friend Keven(peach player, some of you know him, he's a rager). Then, I played bone over summer for 150+ hours and he adapted to my tricks very quickly so I just stopped abusing mistakes because he stopped making them and his DI got so good Comboing him was ridiculously hard. So after that I learned how to play super patient and defensive against peach and it actually hurt my peach game a lot, because when peaches would do stupid stuff, like being over aggressive I'd just freak out and not to what to do. As of somewhat recently(the last few months) I've been working on finding the balance between the two.

TL;DR

I have a lot of knowledge/experience on the match-up and I'm only getting better at it.
lol don't worry about baka being aggressive, i foresee a massive "defensive" campfest between the two of you. he won't approach first, just react to your offense and punish while he's inside. also i think he's much more susceptible to nerves than you are, so you have that advantage i think. sd pride.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
seems kinda random for it to be his best matchup with the billion and one falcos that play at our school. not saying youre wrong, but how did he get good at it?
It's not random at all. He doesn't just play at UCSD; in fact he's probably one of the most experienced players who comes to UCSD smashfests, behind Pat, Eric and Pnoy. He's also played Bone a lot, who has been a good Peach player since at least 2007 (when he was power ranked).

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
@Radical Dreamer: My ego didn't need anymore feeding lol, but thank you nonetheless <3

Edit: For those of that play LoL, my tag is Lanstar haha

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
i dont think i've ever seen eric's avatar as something other than a pokemon. i like it though. thats your steez
Ahahaha my first avatar was the Mickey Mouse thing from Kingdom Hearts that Tristan has, but yea ever since then it's been a Pokemon :p This one is just to make fun of Andrew cuz Parasect is hideous and his favorite Pokemon.

Jun, this obviously isn't your Samus. If anything, it looks a bit more like mine, except slowed down a little.

because when peaches would do stupid stuff, like being over aggressive I'd just freak out and not to what to do.
I was gonna say exactly what George said. You probably don't have to worry about him playing an overly rush down style. I think baka plays a bit like Bone actually, which is why I think you have this down. But don't get overconfident, of course. Peach will wreck anyone who's careless and approaches badly. In that one vid macd linked, you were being overly aggressive and trying to get in more hits than your combo allowed, often using your double jump, and that's what macd took advantage of. I'm sure you know this already though, just stuff to keep in mind.

Edit: For those of that play LoL, my tag is Lanstar haha
EW -____-

Who else plays LoL? I might reinstall this bull****. I'm terribad, but I can learn... I have a lot of time next quarter for LoL LOL.

Knee.of.Ky

Smash Apprentice
eric u shall play with me! xkyrin

destroy em lanstar!!! sd pride ftw!.

jun did u ever do that smash trip across cali?

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
while were at it bearjew17 for lol. im going to mandate that we put lol in the next gamesfest, so sd better nut up.

play with us later tonight ericuh

edit: heres a post about mvc3

if anyone wants to learn how to play watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8q5oJQgzas&feature=BF&list=SP2EEDB367376397A9&index=1

mike ross (really good player) gets gootecks (really good sf4 player, bad mvc player) to start playing online. it really interesting because you get to learn what goes through the head of a real player and its not a guide. they go through things like when to dhc, when to x-factor, what characters are good (sent, sent, and sent), how to assist, and how to pressure and avoid pressure

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
My sn on LoL is Pericardium. LOL. Ya'll can add me... I'm terribad though. Just played with Kelvin for a bit... we were both terribad LOOOOL omg. Also, :( @ this week's heroes. I only have Annie unlocked too. Bleh.

And lol @ Sentinel. I wish they nerfed his ****ing dtilt/ftilt/frying pan. Phoenix dies in literally 4 hits with level 3 xfactor lol :( His damage is stupid.

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI-ahKEY68U&feature=relmfu
go to 17:00 and just watch the full match. straight up beautiful combo against sent. guy on the right is mike ross, other guy is someone on the intertubes

@eric
everyone starts out terrible. just pick some style you want to play (tank/mage/ect) and stick to it. we will yell at you about what to worry about and what stuff to get. and by we i mean ky and dawson. i can play one character well.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
@eric
everyone starts out terrible. just pick some style you want to play (tank/mage/ect) and stick to it. we will yell at you about what to worry about and what stuff to get. and by we i mean ky and dawson. i can play one character well.
Umm I probably play Taric best, because being a fat ***** that never dies generally appeals to me no matter the game I'm playing LOL (Peach, Blissey, etc). I think I'd rather play a mage (specifically Annie/Ryze) or a ranged carry (especially Ashe/Sivir) though. I dunno. We'll see. My mindset in general usually has me playing a defensive, stallish style better in any game, I think (even though I always wanna play the fast transgendered ninjas :().

Aaaaanyway, to be on topic, looking forward to heading back... I'm so bored at home :c I wish I had a PS3/Xbox so I can think of new ways to own people after I CAN'T CONTROL IT.

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
Hey George, bone is coming after all so I think I'm going to be teaming with him.

I'll totally carry you through games Eric <3, I'll add you today =D

Jun.

Smash Lord
So who's going to champ's tourney?

Lets carpool. I can take all of you Irvine kids up on the way. At least all the SoCal people could go which is me, George, Yuta, Lanstar, Anthony etc

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
Umm I probably play Taric best, because being a fat ***** that never dies generally appeals to me no matter the game I'm playing LOL (Peach, Blissey, etc). I think I'd rather play a mage (specifically Annie/Ryze) or a ranged carry (especially Ashe/Sivir) though. I dunno. We'll see. My mindset in general usually has me playing a defensive, stallish style better in any game, I think (even though I always wanna play the fast transgendered ninjas :().

Aaaaanyway, to be on topic, looking forward to heading back... I'm so bored at home :c I wish I had a PS3/Xbox so I can think of new ways to own people after I CAN'T CONTROL IT.

seriously, just choose a style to play. you will suck with all of them. the difference between you playing a character you play well and not so well is probably about zero.

and yea, i miss my sticks and ps3. ive only played once over break and i had to use a pad. it was terrible, i really couldnt control it. also, stop using phoenix. one snapback and she dies, leaving you in the same place as youll be in lol: dead.

Jun.

Smash Lord
No. Play phoenix

best character in the game i'm not even kidding. Its like having a decent character and a sentinel w/ teleport on your team.

I have a few more ******** things ti come up with in this game. If anyone has xbox live and wants to play me add me i'm junkimchi.

Oh and Lanstar pm me your number.

Knee.of.Ky

Smash Apprentice
hon? i said i would play that 3 months ago. that didnt happen...
then id have pco guys to yell at for being nubs instead of baker.
ill let my twin decide this for me as she did say she will buy for me( 3months ago)

on topic.
when is everyone going back to sd!?
a triweekly should be hosted during first week when everything is chill.

V @jun how would i do that?

Jun.

Smash Lord
Ky if you're gonna buy hon buy it with a referral from me.

and Dark Phoenix is the best character in the game. How many times have you performed a snapback in your life?

Top Bottom