• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
An example of what I'm saying is this:

If I'm above Radical Dreamer in the rankings or even below but still close, there is no way I would play a ranked match with him, because a Marth ditto can always go the other way.

Edit: That sounds fine, but it's kind of stupid that people go secondaries in these. I thought the original purpose of this was to get serious matches without involving money, and because we couldn't figure out a way to make legitimate San Diego power rankings.

If I go Ganon, whether I'm trying my hardest or not, I'm certainly not taking you seriously.

Vouge

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, Lan I'm on your side on the first response. Jun's initial rebuttal was a little odd, but I can see the validity in your latter posits Jun. It's like me challenging PNOY. Pretty easy points for him. Essentially, thats why PNOY and Pat aren't ranked... They'd have access to points free and clear from severely incapable players.

Jun.

Smash Lord
when I played mew2king in a Marth ditto, it definately went his way

You have to keep in mind the very high chance that if someone has a lot of points, the player got those points by actually being consistently good. And therefore he won't have to worry too much about losing a huge amount of points to someone that is ranked in the lower half since there will (should) be a skill gap. However if the upset still manages to happen even though its highly unlikely, the system will reward the underdog greatly for defeating the odds.

And people playing their secondaries is something I can't force. Maybe they want their secondaries to be tournament ready or something. UCSD isn't too hung up on official rankings. This is merely a system to create a high tension match any time between people with something on the line that's not money. If anyone (mainly Jesse/Sunny) really cared about their rankings or started questioning if they can actually be on top, I'm sure they'd start playing their mains.

This is the first season anyways.

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
tristan. rank match :p IN POKEMON. jk real rank match hahaha

and jesse...are you no longer fans #1 and #3 of shhhueuisd and sssutentlhafh?

why did coot have to die? WHY?

maybe ethan can save him

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
McCain, I'll look into doing a tourney the Saturday after finals. I'll look around to see what venues will be available.

On the whole SD ranking thing. 1, you guys give Richard and I too much credit. I'm really not that good and Richard is terrible. 2, tourney matches most certainly should count. I see no reason why they shouldn't.

shaseim4st3r

Smash Journeyman
McCain, I'll look into doing a tourney the Saturday after finals. I'll look around to see what venues will be available.

On the whole SD ranking thing. 1, you guys give Richard and I too much credit. I'm really not that good and Richard is terrible. 2, tourney matches most certainly should count. I see no reason why they shouldn't.
agree with richard being terrible and gay. but pat you're pretty good :]
u should enter ranking battles as spacies or something. and you'd still be pretty good haha.

MacD

Banned via Administration
i'd be down for a tourney after finals week but i cant guarantee ill make it as of right now... lol

i would actually prefer 3/19 for a tourney but thats just me D:
you do realize these 2 statements are talking about the same date right? you should as if they are different days

thank you thank you =D

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
tristan. rank match :p IN POKEMON. jk real rank match hahaha

and jesse...are you no longer fans #1 and #3 of shhhueuisd and sssutentlhafh?

why did coot have to die? WHY?

maybe ethan can save him
Andrew,

I am still #1 Fan of SNG and #3 Fan of Sashejrklmewr. It is just that I have gotten lazy at signing off like that.

Coot no longer exists on smashboards because he was given a total of 9 infraction points by Fly. Essentially, he was banned.

Who's Ethan?

Also, with regard to the rankings, no one plays me.
I've only been challenged twice (the first two sets I played against Ky and David).
I've challenged and played Eric and Sunny.
I've opened challenges to everyone, but no one accepts.
The bulk of my matches have been against Sunny. I actively challenge him because I need to beat his Falco with my Falcon. It has not happened yet, so I will challenge him until it does.

There is too much FEAR, it seems. This is the problem with not having the rankings regulated by tournies. For example (I don't mean to offend, but I need to make a point), I don't imagine NO FEAR ever challenging me because he assumes I am too good and that he will just lose points if he does so what is the point? However, NO FEAR is going to challenge OUTOFDASHIZWIZ and Junkimchi because he thinks he has a chance. OUTOFDASHIZWIZ and Junkimchi will do the same with their own small group. Well, all that is doing is skewing the point distribution for that small group of players that think they can all beat each other and completely screwing over the guy who no one wants to play. Then, if that guy confronts other players with challenges he is just going to seem like a point-milking *** because everyone assumes themselves to suck.

Tournaments force a more equal and accurate point distribution. Matches that wouldn't normally happen because of intentional aversion or strategic point hoarding are required to happen. Upsets DO happen. At Fusion, the only set I lost in pools was against...StopNStart. I normally beat David, but he came through in our set and took me out. If that counted for rankings, then it would be an upset and definitely shift things in the ranking.

This being said, I really don't care at all. My personal goal is to beat Sunny's Falco with my Falcon and after that I'll concern myself with giving away free KNEES to the FACE to whoever wants them. I'm not going to force people to play. It's up to the individual to put him or herself in difficult situations and try to learn and better themselves with each challenge.

No one is going to get better if they don't allow themselves to suck for a while.

Anyway, I'll be there around 5.

-Jesse, SNG #1 Fon, Shalksejrwakl3 #3 Fon

shaseim4st3r

Smash Journeyman
dam jesse you've moved me from within. l accept your opened challenge, if i finish my work today in time.

and anyone else: i only play these stupid rank matches if ppl ask me. so ask me? yeahhhhhhhh.

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
On a different note I've been meeting with the ucsd rec department and they've agreed to make ucsd melée a full on rec class next quarter. Shibby.

It'll be in the rec mag and have a sign up fee of 5-10 bucks. In return they'll give us a dedicated smash room and a few tvs/cubes. Well probably do weekly tournaments next quarter, Soooo signup kids
What's the status on this? :3

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Jesse, I agree with your sentiments, but the example isn't accurate. NO.FEAR has repeatedly challenged me in ranked matches without expecting to win I think.

Also I gain nothing from playing Peach in these. I know my match ups, stages, and how to play serious. What I'm lookin for is how my Zelda does on various stages in various match ups, etc. And we all know my Zelda is dead serious =) I'm not trying to sandbag lol

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
An example of what I'm saying is this:

If I'm above Radical Dreamer in the rankings or even below but still close, there is no way I would play a ranked match with him, because a Marth ditto can always go the other way.
no offense but this doesnt make sense to me. theres only two possibilities to you vs andrew in a marth ditto.. you win, or you lose. so to say that "a marth ditto can always go the other way" is kind of redundant, since this can be said about any other matchup. what it comes down to is skill level. basically it'll go something like this:

Given: Your opponent is playing his best in every instance

Situation 1: You are better, AND, you are playing at your best
- Outcome: You win

Situation 2: You are better, AND, you are NOT playing your best
- Outcome 1: You win even though you **** up sometimes just because youre naturally better, and your experience pushes you to pull out the W
- Outcome 2: You lose because the level youre playing at (which isnt your best) is lower than the level your opponent is playing at
^ NOTE: This might be the "going the other way" youre talking about.. but like i said, this could happen in any matchup

Situation 3: You two are EQUAL in skill, AND youre playing your best
- Outcome: It's a coin toss

Situation 4: You two are EQUAL in skill, AND youre NOT playing your best
- Outcome: You lose because now the level you are playing at is definitely lower than your opponent's

Situation 5: You are NOT as good as your opponent
- Outcome: Regarless of whether or not you play "at your best" you lose

im sure theres more instances that i havent thought of but this is the general idea

On the whole SD ranking thing...I'm really not that good
lies

and Richard is terrible
truth

tourney matches most certainly should count. I see no reason why they shouldn't.
i agree

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Jesse, I agree with your sentiments, but the example isn't accurate. NO.FEAR has repeatedly challenged me in ranked matches without expecting to win I think.

Also I gain nothing from playing Peach in these. I know my match ups, stages, and how to play serious. What I'm lookin for is how my Zelda does on various stages in various match ups, etc. And we all know my Zelda is dead serious =) I'm not trying to sandbag lol
I kind of pulled names out of a hat with the example. Kind of.
Anyway, I changed the names accordingly. ;) <3
If anything, that's the definite danger of unorganized ranked matches.
It doesn't even have to be an intentional thing.
A lot of you see each other more often and are in much closer proximity to each other and the rankings change mostly according to who wins against who in that small group.

This alone puts the "travelers" (George) and the local travelers (Lanstar, RadicAndrew, etc...) at a disadvantage. They can win 4 ranked matches at a given smashfest, but it doesn't really matter if the UCSD homies (you are a UCSD homie if you come to this school and/or frequent the campus regularly) can play each other on a whim.

Obviously, this would be a bigger deal if we were all super serious about this and this was actually happening at a noticeable level. lol.

I think next quarter will be better organized with the Rec Class, should we use that time to play free tournies or something. Well, I think it will work for only some of us. I don't really see the incentive for someone like George, Lanstar, etc. to pay for that class if they can play smash on Monday/Friday afternoon/evenings for free at the Lodge ( not including gas/food money) so then not everyone could be accounted for at these potential tournies.

Well, wait, now thinking about it, I think it would actually be worth it if we have a considerable amount of TV's and systems. No more annoying rotations and you wouldn't have to play doubles if you didn't want to.

Anyway, good games today and maybe see you all on Monday!

-Jesse, SNG #1 Fin, Shajemre #3 Fin

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
Wall of text
Marth dittos can be frustrating/inconsistent and I'm not the only one who believes this to be so.

I've had days where I'm playing amazingly but lost to a random Marth in dittos or days when I'm playing sub par and beat everyone I Marth ditto. It's a match-up that is very easy to over think, which makes it hard to be consistent.

Marth likes to out zone his opponents, but he can't use that strategy on himself. This makes the match-up about movement/positioning mind games and baiting.

Your right in the sense that if I play Andrew a bunch of Marth dittos before hand and wreck him then I'll probably win. However, depending on the day I play him it could go in either of our favors(as in I'm not sure how I'll do against him until after a few games) regardless of how I'm playing against others. This may not be how it is for everyone, but I struggle to be consistent in Marth dittos.

Jun.

Smash Lord
I know I have a bunch of updates to do

but I spent way too much time with Ethan tonight.

I'll update rankings tomorrow

Me > Andwu, Eric, David, Jesse
Ky > Eric, David, Kelvin
Jesse > Ky

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I have discovered that my ability to smash is not an accurate measure of my soberness
Hmmmm.

I might edit this if I were you lest Fly come around these here parts and do his Moderating thing again.

-Jesse, SNG # 1 Fyn, Shaeaarm4 #3 Fyn

KLuless1

Smash Cadet
Dittos can be frustrating.

Sometimes, I play well but still lose. Sometimes, I don't play so well but I win. Dittos are like that.

Since it is a ditto, I will likely be using a similar strategy as my opponent's. This makes the match-up about movement/positioning mind games and baiting, which are all also part of a player's skill.

So depending on the day, I may win or lose at dittos.
Summarized, or at least how I read it.

How many other matchups make it hard to be consistent? Especially in dittos, players often try to catch each other in the same strategies and whoever does it better wins. In Marth dittos, it may be dependent on spacing, the grab game, edgeguarding (all of which are important in any matchup) and random fsmashes. Other dittos have a lot of the same issues. Fox dittos: uthrow chaingrab/usmash, shine spikes. Sheik dittos: dthrow chaingrab/techchase/slap. Falco dittos: 0-death shine combos, laser spacing. Puff dittos: ever see Mango vs. Hbox Puff dittos in Grand Finals?

If you read a character matchups thread for ANY character, you'll see that that character vs itself is a 50:50 matchup. It's not a coincidence. If you read further, you will most likely see that since you are playing the same character as your opponent, this matchup may be difficult since you are likely to try to do the same things to each other, but whoever does it better wins. Dittos test differences in player skill in a completely different way than other matchups do because there is literally NO advantage one character has over the other and outsmarting/outplaying your opponent is the only way.

Yes, everyone has their bad days and the underdog wins sometimes, but that can happen any time. It can happen the day of a huge national tournament. It can also happen at a regular ole' UCSD smashfest in a rank match where there is much less on the line. Where would you rather gain the experience of getting unlucky and losing in a ditto?

What it comes down to is this: Dittos are another matchup that people just have to deal with and learn. Also, whoever is the better player is more likely to win against whoever is not the better player. Every time you rank match someone, you are putting your points on the line, period. If you don't want to take the risk of losing big points to someone who is lower ranked than you or losing not so many points to someone who is higher ranked than you, then you can choose not to play. But if you don't, you probably have FEAR. :)

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
you do realize these 2 statements are talking about the same date right? you should as if they are different days

thank you thank you =D
yeah i just realized LOL. brain fart. -_______-;; i MEANT to say 3/26...but then i realized arizona cant come D: ugh just ignore what i said LOL id be down for a tourney whenever. :]

EDIT:

you do realize he has NO FEAR right?

shaseim4st3r

Smash Journeyman
hey hey hey...my Link is good.

almost as good as my Ness :love:
i'm not saying i agree with your statement, but even if i did, you're still ugly :[ i'm sorry.

and gay for not coming out.
and for not coming out to smash fests LOL.

Summarized, or at least how I read it.

How many other matchups make it hard to be consistent? Especially in dittos, players often try to catch each other in the same strategies and whoever does it better wins. In Marth dittos, it may be dependent on spacing, the grab game, edgeguarding (all of which are important in any matchup) and random fsmashes. Other dittos have a lot of the same issues. Fox dittos: uthrow chaingrab/usmash, shine spikes. Sheik dittos: dthrow chaingrab/techchase/slap. Falco dittos: 0-death shine combos, laser spacing. Puff dittos: ever see Mango vs. Hbox Puff dittos in Grand Finals?

If you read a character matchups thread for ANY character, you'll see that that character vs itself is a 50:50 matchup. It's not a coincidence. If you read further, you will most likely see that since you are playing the same character as your opponent, this matchup may be difficult since you are likely to try to do the same things to each other, but whoever does it better wins. Dittos test differences in player skill in a completely different way than other matchups do because there is literally NO advantage one character has over the other and outsmarting/outplaying your opponent is the only way.

Yes, everyone has their bad days and the underdog wins sometimes, but that can happen any time. It can happen the day of a huge national tournament. It can also happen at a regular ole' UCSD smashfest in a rank match where there is much less on the line. Where would you rather gain the experience of getting unlucky and losing in a ditto?

What it comes down to is this: Dittos are another matchup that people just have to deal with and learn. Also, whoever is the better player is more likely to win against whoever is not the better player. Every time you rank match someone, you are putting your points on the line, period. If you don't want to take the risk of losing big points to someone who is lower ranked than you or losing not so many points to someone who is higher ranked than you, then you can choose not to play. But if you don't, you probably have FEAR. :)
you're so smart kelvin. how do i become like you.

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
Wall of text
You've missed the simple point, which is this:

I don't know how well I'm going to do against someone in Marth dittos until I play them that day, or I watch them Marth ditto someone else. I can tell to a certain extent how well I'll play with Marth against a Falco, Fox, falcon, etc. based on how they do in dittos or other match-ups I watch them play.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Smash players would make terrible checker players.

"Wait what can I counterpick with?"

"Red. Or black if you prefer."

"wut"

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
This is too complicated.
Just rank match each other.
You either lose or win.
There are variables to consider, but
what are you doing if you aren't learning from playing?
You can learn something whether you win or lose.

That's it, I'm ranked dittoing everyone.
I'll do everything except for Mewtwo dittos and IC dittos.

You guys suck.

@Jun, I want a green name too. Are there any benefits to this?

-Jesse, SNG #1 Fan, Shaekr434rj34rfkjamkjiermlk #3 Fan, You All Suck Once Again

Jun.

Smash Lord
Rankings updated.

-Eric Ding suprisingly (or not) moves down after playing a questionable sheik against Jun and Up-B'ing wrong against Ky on Brinstar.
-David shooting back down after playing Link against Ky -_- and playing Jun's fox with Falco on FD back to back.
-People on the lower half are very very close with one another and should play each other to get out of the rut.

If you text me your tourney matches against people at UCSD in the future I'll record them.

and dittos are a test of wits.

@ Jesse: Green name = premium member = 1 name change, 2 pranks a month, custom title, access to the disco room, and 1000 pm's. costs 4 bucks for 3 months or 12 a year or something. I just wanted my name changed which should happen soon. Oh and someone's about to be pranked.

Top Bottom