• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
Sunny and I placed 4th in doubles and both placed something like 13th for singles. We lost to stab+hyprid twice. Sunny lost to stab and george, I lost to stab and hyprid. George lost to baka4moe in losers, forgot about winners. David lost to macd then lanstar. But most importantly, Jesse absolutely ***** at this tourney. He got 4th losing to fly and stab in losers semis. Yeeee.
I only lost to fly and stab as well lol, I swear I'll get stab next time though; I had a pretty legitimate john for losing haha, it's in the tourny thread shout outs <.<

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
Anthony, I put the white cloth bag in Sunny's car. It also has one of our cubes

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
SNG = sunny ?

i think i have a somewhat ok grasp on who's who on smashboards but there's people i don't know

KLuless1

Smash Cadet
I hear Eric laughing, Kevin's random comments of amazement, MacD cheering, and a bunch of people saying GET 'EMMM. Sunny, you coulda won that set =[

And yes, SNG is Sunny.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
lololololol.

My favorite part is definitely at 11.48 when Sunny gets hit off stage and you can hear George say, "Sunny, I am disappointed" in such a deadpan manner.

-SNG #1 Fan, Shaslkjerwl3ma4 #3 Fan

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
I still don't understand why you guys told Sunny to hide in the little cubby during the rock transformation. Shouldn't he have waited on the right, under a platform to prevent stab from dropping on him with a dair?

SNG

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I probably shoulda gone behind the cliff on the left. I think they anticipated stab to come down from the spawn pad right away. But instead, he waited for the stage transformation and caught me, which was smart.

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
Nah. I still say to the right, below or near the metal plates. It prevents stab from coming with a dair and gives you time to react if he tries to come down with a bair/fair. You could dash either to the right (towards the ledge) or jump through the grating -> wall jump -> DJ onto the rock to safety.

Even if stab did dair immediately, what could you have done? He has invincibility and escaping would've been difficult without eating an aerial

I guess standing behind the rock on the left is alright. But maybe he would've had enough invinci to dair -> retreat safely without the threat of being shine spiked?

Edit: As for stab waiting for the transformation; that was indeed smart and another reason to why waiting in the cubby was a bad idea. Waiting on the left behind the rock would also put your back to the ledge and with little room to move.

Knee.of.Ky

Smash Apprentice
cuz no one has said it here yet....
HAPPY ****ING BIRTHDAY ANTHONY / FOX / NO.FEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S thank you eric for takin care of me. i <3 u

P.S.S i cant move my left arm! my smash life is OVER!!!!!

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
cuz no one has said it here yet....
HAPPY ****ING BIRTHDAY ANTHONY / FOX / NO.FEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S thank you eric for takin care of me. i <3 u

P.S.S my smash life is over!!!!!! i cant move my left arm!
i got to say it in person, way better than on the boards. i also took two shots with him.

what did i miss after i went to sleep?

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Sunny, you weren't shielding.
You ran into the wall and turned around to a foot to the face.
Bait him to drop from the little 'heaven' disc by staying on the top platform like you were doing or the top of the cliff and then just run away and drop behind the cliff once he moves.

lol. I don't know anything.

Also, where is my match with Hyprid?
Me vs. Fly was put up and that's just nasty.

@Radical,

I try to put on a good show. What can I say?

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Well good **** to Fly for making the read that Jesse isn't the kind of guy who would punch him in the face for doing that.

PS: Is anyone at the lodge or are people going to go to the lodge today?

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Ky: <3

David: Thanks for giving me your blanket :)

Jesse: -______- we are going to have a long chat on Friday about children with large hammers.

And we will have that discussion

on

a boat.

Also, my Peach is retiring for a while haha. I'm actually going through with it this time. I would have done it earlier, but I needed Peach for Fusion. From now on, Zelda against puff/Samus/Peach and Sheik for everything else. This makes cping with Zelda a lot easier too, cuz if they counter-counterpick me, I'll just press down B LOLOLOL.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Jesse: -______- we are going to have a long chat on Friday about children with large hammers.

And we will have that discussion

on

a boat.
haha. I already explained my rationale for not counterpicking Fly to Rainbow Cruise.
I would do it if I actually had a chance of doing well against him on a "neutral".
It's a definite strategic advantage, but I don't think I'm good enough or smart enough...YET =D to warrant extending the set an extra match.

If I can't play the match-up decently on a neutral, there is no benefit to an empty victory on a stage like RC.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Jesse, yea, I remember you saying that. I just meant discussing overall match up stuff, not necessarily cruise itself haha. Approaching ICs is really difficult if you do not have a deadly dress with lead weights attached to twirl them into oblivion. ICs, or actually more specifically, Fly, plays a ridiculously strong defensive game. They are very good defensively with their double shield, utilt, desynced blizzard+ice block, fast wavedash, or even using Nana as a meat shield if it comes down to it. What's worse is that all of those things can potentially lead to a grab, and once that grab happens... well you know the rest :( I think all of your deaths were just falling for his ridiculous defensive game and getting grabbed from it. Let's practice it on Friday! :)

Or alternatively, you can just pick a character that wears a dress. (Hint: pick the one with the vegetables.)

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Jesse, yea, I remember you saying that. I just meant discussing overall match up stuff, not necessarily cruise itself haha. Approaching ICs is really difficult if you do not have a deadly dress with lead weights attached to twirl them into oblivion. ICs, or actually more specifically, Fly, plays a ridiculously strong defensive game. They are very good defensively with their double shield, utilt, desynced blizzard+ice block, fast wavedash, or even using Nana as a meat shield if it comes down to it. What's worse is that all of those things can potentially lead to a grab, and once that grab happens... well you know the rest :( I think all of your deaths were just falling for his ridiculous defensive game and getting grabbed from it. Let's practice it on Friday! :)

Or alternatively, you can just pick a character that wears a dress. (Hint: pick the one with the vegetables.)
I agree. I was actually contemplating picking up an IC's specific Peach. ahahaha.

The Mexican one, of course. =D

So not Peach, but Daisy.

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman
this is actually something i talked to kevin about today, is it really worth it to pick up a diff character to make up for a lack of matchup-knowledge, or just learn the matchup?

and jun i wasnt on his desk

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
this is actually something i talked to kevin about today, is it really worth it to pick up a diff character to make up for a lack of matchup-knowledge, or just learn the matchup?

and jun i wasnt on his desk
My current mindset is that there is no problem I can't solve with Falco.
It's FALCO!

I'm not sure how it is for other top tiers. They all have their strengths.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
If you play one of the following characters, you do not need a secondary:

Sheik
Fox
Falco
Jigglypuff
Marth
Peach
Captain Falcon

If you play one of the following characters, you don't need a secondary, but due to character flaws, using a secondary is understandable if you have problems with certain styles of gameplay:
Doctor Mario
Mario
Samus
Luigi
Ice Climbers

Ganon, (Young) Link, Zelda, Roy, Mewtwo, DK and Pikachu are debatable because they all have a few crippling match ups in the higher tiers that make it very difficult for them to do well with a bad bracket. In the case of Zelda, this can be solved with down B. For everyone else, this can be solved by picking a better character.

Everyone else just sucks and shouldn't be used anyway.

MacD

Banned via Administration
if falcon can beat sheik, IC's can beat peach

i mean wobbles can do it, so can everyone else

fly just doesn't have much practice in the match up, but the only peach he's ever really lost to with IC's is me, mainly due to our match up knowledge (or lack thereof)

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
if falcon can beat sheik, IC's can beat peach

i mean wobbles can do it, so can everyone else

fly just doesn't have much practice in the match up, but the only peach he's ever really lost to with IC's is me, mainly due to our match up knowledge (or lack thereof)
I wanna say if Shroomed can beat Lucien and Tope (I think at P5) then anyone can beat sheik with doc or maybe he's the exception to life LOL

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
did you not watch pound 5? if theres one thing we learned from pound 5 is that hbox got *****

As for the ic matchup, ive basically seen two ways of playing. The popo or the nana way. You tried to do the popo way and it didnt work. Ky on the other hand started popo and then started going after nana and although he got ***** (mostly when fly had both) it actually looked respectable.

Fly is one of the most grab dependent ic's ive seen. If you take that away he is much, much more vulnerable. it will still be a hard matchup, but it will be doable.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
all IC players are grab dependent, it's kind of part of the character. If you're comparing Fly to me, I only don't seem grab dependent cuz you guys have only played me in friendlies. No one wants to get 0-death by a grab in a friendly. It's lame.

I'd say Fly is actually less grab dependent than most.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Grab dependent ICs is redundant lol.

And I feel like the ICs Peach match up isn't impossible, it just has a stupidly high learning curve and you have to play ridiculously carefully. ICs have quick movement and Peach doesn't like anything that can run away from her. However, I still think it's definitely reasonable for ICs mains to have a secondary for that match up though.

And hbox at pound 5 is not a good example. I hear he was throwing up all morning? He definitely wasn't playing too well. Also, striking to Dreamland was probably not a great idea at all. Big stage + top platform makes it really easy for Young Link to keep running away and throwing **** at you.

EDIT: ninja'd by Pat

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
all IC players are grab dependent, it's kind of part of the character. If you're comparing Fly to me, I only don't seem grab dependent cuz you guys have only played me in friendlies. No one wants to get 0-death by a grab in a friendly. It's lame.

I'd say Fly is actually less grab dependent than most.
ive never really see you play actually...which is a damn shame. When is the next tri weekly so that you can play and ****. (you arent running it btw)

Top Bottom