• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
God dammit, I missed that! I have no idea why they wouldn't put in crawling in morph ball for Samus since that's a major part of her games, yet why can't she charge her beam in mid air like every other character in Smash? It's something you would expect, yet it's something I can't help feel that Nintendo would leave out for some reason, even though it's obvious to me, you know?
I agree. Air charge, and there are a few other things that should be represented somehow... Ok throwing it out there. I believe it would be awesome if Samus could switch directions while charging, including aiming up like Pit can while the player holds B.
For balance purposes it's understandable, as a charged B straight above could be a little TOO good. But at least uncharged shots straight up would be cool to have.

Doing a down b like a smash should do a power bomb.
I was thinking along the lines of:
Down+B release, Regular bomb.
Down+B hold for 3 seconds, Power bomb.

It could work like Taboo's "trophy wave" (the one where he shoots 3 lethal waves) except much weaker than that, of course. :D

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

What is Samus doing here? It's most likely Dash Attack, but I'm hoping it's her new Roll(s).

I was thinking along the lines of:
Down+B release, Regular bomb.
Down+B hold for 3 seconds, Power bomb.

It could work like Taboo's "trophy wave" (the one where he shoots 3 lethal waves) except much weaker than that, of course. :D
I like this idea. However, I think it should have a max range (radius) similar to D3's Ftilt.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord

What is Samus doing here? It's most likely Dash Attack, but I'm hoping it's her new Roll(s).
I think is indeed her Dash Attack, i believe in Brawl her "jetpack" also gave her "propulsion" too, and it's very likely that her Dash attack animation gets some little tweaks to fit more the slimmer Other M Varia suit.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ya, but judging by the direction of the Jet Boosters, it looks like they'd drive her sideways rather than forward,
It might be because of the Camera Angle, though.

Still, I watched some clips of her Brawl Dash Attack, and her boosters are directed much more down/back in Brawl.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
So we'll see i guess, as a side note i would really like if her dash attack is made similar to Melee's, it had good power, and in some situations, you can push the opponents off the stage like a train with that attack.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I noted some time before that Samus looks smaller in SSB4 than in Brawl, i took some screenshots to compare.

First lets see Brawl:
al_140608_1634(1).bin.out.jpg

And SSB4(3DS):

It's easy to note the change in her height compared to Link.

Personally, i don't have nothing wrong with this, since she was even (sligthly) smaller than Link in Melee, and she was just great as whole.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think it's just that everyone else got scaled up. She's still the tallest female (bar maybe Rosalina), and the screen of her next to Bowser during the footstool demonstration shows she's closer to her Amazonian 6'3" than her Other M 5' whatever retcon.

Of course from a competitive standpoint, not having such a large hurtbox is always a good thing.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
So that is, now that i looked a it again, Mario is quite bigger compared to Brawl. As long as she is tallest female (along with Rosalina) there will be a good scale between characters.

Last edited:

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Worried that she'll be too powerful? That they'll nerf her too much? What are you worried about exactly?
Actually, the players believed she is really bad.

"I've been playing Samus for 14 years. 16 knowledgeable players didn't pick her so if you think Samus is the best character (like they said at the tournament), then you're sadly mistaken." -Hugs

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Actually, the players believed she is really bad.

"I've been playing Samus for 14 years. 16 knowledgeable players didn't pick her so if you think Samus is the best character (like they said at the tournament), then you're sadly mistaken." -Hugs
I saw some Samus gameplay, were attacks like bair and dash looked quite weak, as she was attacking opponents at like 90% percent, Missiles and uncharged shots looked weak as well. The only attack that was really powerful was her new fsmash.

Then again, i think it's too soon to start judging, as all was just a demo, so it doesn't represent what the final Samus could be like, at least, imo, she looked fun to play, as always.

Last edited:

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I saw some Samus gameplay, were attacks like bair and dash looked quite weak, as she attacking opponents at like 90% percent, Missiles and uncharged shots looked weak as well. The only attack that was really powerful was her new fsmash.

Then again, i think it's too soon to start judging, as all was just a demo, so it doesn't represent what the final Samus could be like, at least, imo, she looked fun to play, as always.
True. I'm only bringing this up because it seems the developers think the opposite of the players, so who knows how she'll end up.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Ah, I see.

Hm, someone posted this up recently. Apparently her Screw Attack is pretty strong now.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Ah, I see.

Hm, someone posted this up recently. Apparently her Screw Attack is pretty strong now.
Yeah, the Screw Attack looks pretty good, also, i also like that her fsmash can hit opponents not only with the explosion but with the cannon too, kinda like P:M.
And dair looks awesome.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
But is her dair still a Meteor smash? I didn't see that from the video.
It seems like the beginning of dair dosen't meteor, but the rest of the attack does. Later in the stream Kirby gets meteored by Samus.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Found a couple videos of HugS playing as Samus! As usual, he's the pink one (saying that because in Match 2 there's a second Samus). The Screw Attack is definitely a good kill move now, as HugS gets a double KO with it in the first match here.

Match 1

Match 2

Hong

The Strongest
Based on what we know, I'd figure the odd Samus player who likes to go in would be ecstatic with her new design after they get used to it.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
To be honest, as much as I'd love for her missiles to be stronger again, I won't mind too much if her ground game is still solid to make up for it. I rely on close combat more anyways. And at least her charge shot seems good. Of course, I can never seem to find a video where someone actually lands a fully charged shot when someone has a relatively high damage percentage, so it's a bit difficult to judge at times. Has anyone who played the demo landed a fully charged shot?

EDIT
Nevermind! Found a video. She hit Pit with a fully charged shot when he had slightly over 100% damage. It sent him flying out of the park! Looks to be a guaranteed KO at 100% or above, or close enough. At least on characters of similar weight to Pit so far.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Found a couple videos of HugS playing as Samus! As usual, he's the pink one (saying that because in Match 2 there's a second Samus). The Screw Attack is definitely a good kill move now, as HugS gets a double KO with it in the first match here.

Match 1

Match 2
Did Samus just do a Reverse Blazer? That's pretty great.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Based on what we know, I'd figure the odd Samus player who likes to go in would be ecstatic with her new design after they get used to it.
As an aggressive Samus player, so far no. Missile cancelling was amazing for approach as well as camping, arguably better than shorthop lasers, and it really is a shame to not have it. Even if the missiles are underpowered, that alone would still make them useful. That and the new nair.... she could still use a bit more work.

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
So Zair can double hit now? Interesting. Also, her new Nair seems pretty good, but I'll have to get used to it.

Shog

Smash Ace
I can't wait to buy a Samus amiiboo and maining her, especially the black color suit!

Hong

The Strongest
Overall I had a pretty poor attitude about Samus in Smash 4.

It wasn't that she sucked. She got buffed in a lot of areas. It's just that she will be playing a lot differently than she did in Melee, my character of over a decade. Needless to say, I'm going to give Samus a fair shot in Smash 4. I don't think she'll be a strong projectile character like she used to be, but she still has plenty going for her that's worth trying.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
I'm still hopeful that her custom moveset options will give her more ranged potential. I'll probably be messing around with that a bunch.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm still hopeful that her custom moveset options will give her more ranged potential. I'll probably be messing around with that a bunch.
Both of her projectiles are, in terms of impact, really good. Fast, powerful, and the Charge Shot probably out-prioritizes almost everything again. Though she is just not a very spammy-character, which was only possible with missile cancel, preferably with platforms. I'm a really lame kind of gamer. I love projectile spam.

That said, perhaps she'll get some missiles as custom special with less start-up. :D

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Can someone that played the demo let me know how this double aerial kick Samus does at the 0:46 mark works compared to say just the normal back aerial in power aspects, how it is performed, and how powerful the front kick of it is from the back, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfyocs8vxaw

Edit: if this is how her back aerial works now just ignore this question, I just don't really remember that front kick animation on it.

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Can someone that played the demo let me know how this double aerial kick Samus does at the 0:46 mark works compared to say just the normal back aerial in power aspects, how it is performed, and how powerful the front kick of it is from the back, etc.

Edit: if this is how her back aerial works now just ignore this question, I just don't really remember that front kick animation on it.
I'm unsure on the power as I don't have a full grasp of it (having not played the demo), but that's her new Nair. She just does a double kick.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice

Here is a video of Samus doing a "combo" and at the end, I believe she is KO'ing Little Mac with a Nair. So it must be somewhat powerful, and at the very least, and improvement over her Brawl Nair since it appears to have KO power now. If I'm mistaken and she did not finish with a Nair in this video, feel free to correct me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LemQ-zUSw

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs&app=desktop
Can someone confirm this, it seems that at 6:58 here missiles were canceled and that was probably a later build than the E3 Build.
That was the Direct from April, so that was probably not later than the E3 build so many people got to play. Second, When Samus landed on the ground, it seemed like the missile wasn't canceled, it looked like that ending lag ended just before before she hit the ground.

ferioku

Smash Ace
That was the Direct from April, so that was probably not later than the E3 build so many people got to play. Second, When Samus landed on the ground, it seemed like the missile wasn't canceled, it looked like that ending lag ended just before before she hit the ground.
I think the Direct is the newer version as Sakurai said that the E3 build was very old. Also, the E3 build didn't even have Diddy Kong, Peach, King triple Dee and Charizard whilst the direct. did.
Also, If you look at 29:19, Megman is showing a facial expression that is different to the E3 build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs

Besides that, the animation to that and the video i'm about to show is very different, It actually looked like it didn't lag in that video, whilst in this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UifI-aM20U at 4:15 you could see that she still in her animation when she drops...

I'm probably wrong but I just wanted to show this =/. Maybe it's because the Samus in the Direct was higher in the air?

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Last edited:
Top Bottom