• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus' Soap Box Social Thread

MVP

Smash Ace
:obviously i havent played her yet so my opinion may change:

i think she should be able to taunt cancel her beam change. i think it proves more useful when you can safely change between beams and her comboing ability would improve. but then again the taunt animation isn't that long.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
When you switch stances, Samus' arm cannon will have a small explosion of Ice if switching from Fire -> Ice and a small explosion of fire if switching from Ice -> Fire. Other than that, there is no other indicator showing which stance is active at the time other than seeing which stance you have by using dtilt, fair, usmash, or fsmash and that's perfectly fine. It makes it so both you and your opponent have to pay attention to what stance she's using.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
When you switch stances, Samus' arm cannon will have a small explosion of Ice if switching from Fire -> Ice and a small explosion of fire if switching from Ice -> Fire. Other than that, there is no other indicator showing which stance is active at the time other than seeing which stance you have by using dtilt, fair, usmash, or fsmash and that's perfectly fine. It makes it so both you and your opponent have to pay attention to what stance she's using.

That's all I needed to know, thanks.

Now, on a deeper level, how many times did you have to rebuild Samus from scratch? :troll:

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice

I don't have much to say other than I can't wait to play. Here are some samus gifs from one of my side projects.
I bought 4 new controllers (for me)
and 2 PM t shirts from teespring (for me and you, PMBR)
Vanguard I am in love with you lucario, and hearing you're a samus main is making my wrist strap weaker already.

Excited to see what's in store, the beam swapping thing is genius!!!!
SWD can't wait.
My body is ready.

One question which I think was probably answered but is the window for input of her SWD bigger than melee? (it had to be frame perfect, back on 42, forward on 43 iirc making it impossible to use consistently although some players got pretty close so maybe I'm just johning)

Thank you.

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
I have questions about Samus' alternate costumes. There were a lot of people wanting her to have different suits from various Metroid games. One very popular suit I'm hoping to see is the Light Suit from Metroid Prime 2 Echos. Can we hear some news about her alt costumes or is that still under wrap? Also @Vanguard: You lucky dog you. Getting to play test Samus. So much jelly right now.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Her physics match melee, and we have no plans to change that.
...seeing as it was a pain in the ass to get it right in the first place, I'm sure lol

cmart, you switching to Samus or you have her as an alt? You used a lot of her in the stream and were pretty good.

Also, since F-smash has the Smash 4 animation, does that mean there's a sourspot on the cannon similar to Mario's forward Smash?

cmart

Smash Lord
Samus was my melee secondary, and I'm planning on sticking with her since she's different enough from my other chars (Bowser, Squirtle) that she can fill some counterpick utility. It'll be a pain trying to catch up on metagame development since I haven't played her seriously since 07, but I think it'll be worth it.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Im watching a Stream of version 3.0 and i noted that not only you gave Samus her fsmash and ftilt from SSB4, but also the jab, i just loving her changes!

RKM

Smash Cadet
I might be a bit too late to the beam switching discussion, but whatever
I think leaving out the taunt cancel would be better, as long as it's coupled with being able to switch beams midair while retaining any aerial momentum.

TheNumber47

Smash Rookie
I was watching a 3.0 stream and it looked like UpB OoS was faster, both the move and the endlag. Any confirmation on this? Because that would be awesome!

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Im loving every change the PMBR made to Samus, but theres one thing i still dont like and is her entrance animation, i would like her entrance to involve her Hunter Ship, just like in every Metroid game, i know its something aesthetical, but seeing how they gave her things that will make one feel more like playing Samus like the morphball crawl, changeable beams, an entrance animation with the Hunter Ship will make sense.
maybe something like this:

br8k

Coolkid
So she can change at will from Samus to Zero Suit Samus and back again..
Which is a pretty significant ability, except MonkUnit said that it would require the same irritating button mashing that Samus > Zero Suit required in Brawl.

Maybe they'll make it easier, or maybe it's actually easier than I remember. Or easy to get really consistent at.

Naraku

Smash Cadet
Which is a pretty significant ability, except MonkUnit said that it would require the same irritating button mashing that Samus > Zero Suit required in Brawl.

Maybe they'll make it easier, or maybe it's actually easier than I remember. Or easy to get really consistent at.
I would prefer that a taunt be sacrificed.

br8k

Coolkid
I would prefer that a taunt be sacrificed.
Or something like taunt and hold A, which is what Kirby uses to taunt while retaining an ability, I think. Or to taunt and lose an ability. One of those two. (Project M only.)

These new taunt-based features for Samus + Kirby remind me a lot of Brawl Minus, and I always thought Project M would avoid taunt shenanigans because they thought they'd be unprofessional or unintuitive. But hey. It's pretty cool. And it's not exactly unprecedented, what with the up-taunt footstool, Captain Falcon and Peach's taunt-while-attacking attacks, and Snake's taunt to drag.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
if manual transformation stays for her that will make 3 Samus characters in one, which will be toxic to the premise of counterpicking. Unless all three characters are tweaked to make their strengths and weaknesses more uniform, I don't see it working.
I'm sorry, but this rationale is false. Being able to switch between 2 different characters does not magically make a 3rd. You play one character, or you play the other. Not both at the same time.

Samus and ZSS both have problems dealing with shields. There is going to be a lot of problem matchups that are common between them.

FWIW, as Ryoko showed on JC's stream, the taunt switch mechanic works. Jury is still out on whether or not the rest of the PMBR will decide to include it.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
I'm sorry, but this rationale is false. Being able to switch between 2 different characters does not magically make a 3rd. You play one character, or you play the other. Not both at the same time.

Samus and ZSS both have problems dealing with shields. There is going to be a lot of problem matchups that are common between them.

FWIW, as Ryoko showed on JC's stream, the taunt switch mechanic works. Jury is still out on whether or not the rest of the PMBR will decide to include it.

I hope it isn't included, just bc welllll i just feel like it won't be good for the rest of the cast (i also think zelda shouldn't be able to change into shiek, but that can't be discussed)

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
No need to sacrifice a taunt, just make it similar to Ness secret taunt: you just have to press 3 times up on the d-pad (very fast), and he do the "Say fuzzy pickles" taunt, but with Samus should be her down-taunt.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Unfortunately, it is most likely impossible to add the homing feature to her grapple like the Extender had. However, it is probably easier to make it so something like smash taunting and pressing Z during certain windows increase the distance the grapple can go and then make it so you have to press A to activate the grabbox. This is something that definitely won't be able to make it into 3.0, but it would be cool if this was made later down the road.

Obskore

Smash Ace
Does Samus have an opening animation for her arm cannon?
like in melee when she does her taunt, F-smash or fires a missile, the tip of her arm opens in 4 parts, and i wondered if it could happen in PM
also, i watched a demonstration stream, and she has her Melee taunt SFX (which plays in a victory animation as well, but not applied the same in PM akaik) and other subtle SFX additions, like her Nair, which has a weird metal clank along with the original soundbite, and makes it sound more like her Melee Nair for some reason :3

Sarix

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, it is most likely impossible to add the homing feature to her grapple like the Extender had. However, it is probably easier to make it so something like smash taunting and pressing Z during certain windows increase the distance the grapple can go and then make it so you have to press A to activate the grabbox. This is something that definitely won't be able to make it into 3.0, but it would be cool if this was made later down the road.
Is the PMBR planning on tweaking her Brawl Zair in anyway? It's already an excellent air-to-air poke but I was just curious if it's angle might be changed similar to Link's to work as a combo tool. If so then I would see that as a fair trade off to not having the Extender; granted her Brawl Zair already has a lot over her Melee version aside from range. It doesn't need to be tweaked that way I'm just curious.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
I love the beam changes! my biggest qualm with samus in the smash games is that she doesn't seem canon enough, so this is a great addition for me.

Regarding alt costumes. I'm in firm support of having multiple alt costumes to showcase her many suits, especially the dark and light suit from prime 2. If they did do the prime 2 suits, I'd love it if the PMBR could change the gfx on the beam moves from ice and fire to look like dark and light beam to match the new suits, and make the charge beam look like the annihilator beam as well.

Speaking of the charge beam, I like how it functions now as a faster shot that does damage but doesn't necessarily KO, firstly because it gives her super missiles more import, and secondly, because it's more how like it functioned in the games. If possible, I'd love it if they could make the shot look more like it does in the games too, like having the double lasers that travel in a helix motion.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
Are the aerials changed at all. Up, back and dair were all so satisfying. I heard Uair may be a little dif? And in the 3.0 video there was a nasty Uair>Fair>Utilt combo, was that always possible? Does Fair trap them better or do more damage?

MVP

Smash Ace
Different color beams to match her suit would be awesome! Like dark beam with dark suit. Phazon beam, with P.E.D suit, etc.

What does everyone else think?

MVP

Smash Ace
That totally doesn't answer Monk's question at all.

well auto correct means that i typed in ''Phazon" in my tablet, but it corrected me and replaced it with "Puma on"

sufficient enough of an answer phootbag?

MVP

Smash Ace
Glad we were able to straighten that up....

Vanguard, how do samus' ice missiles differ from her normal missiles?

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
It's now 2 frames.
if you, or Vanguard, wouldn't mind elaborating a little more..? I still have some questions lol.

See..in melee it's a move that requires two inputs, back and forward on frames 41st and 42nd respectively (while standing), the distance you SWD being determined by the difference in xpos of the left analog between those 2 frames.
in my head = it was already a 2 frame window, or 2 frame perfect inputs.
so I don't see how it can now be a 2 frame window when it already was. lol

so I guess the window is now twice as big? or something?
each input is a 2 frame window instead of 1?
Perhaps I'm over thinking it.

so for example it would be
back on frames 40-41 and forward on frames 42-43?

Top Bottom