• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I recorded this match because of the fun ending, but more applicable is the illustration of the sideways disjoint on screw attack against yoshi's down-b @ 1:30

I've described this before, just a really great illustration.

A little off topic but I honestly believe the Yoshi MU is at worst 50/50 for us, and may even be slightly in our favour. This is coming from someone who secondaries Yoshi to try to cover Samus' bad MU's. Samus can actually zone him out really well and can punish pretty hard.

Ampheras

Smash Cadet

Just a very satisfactory game I had against a good Sheik player (just not looking so good on this match :V)

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
In that 1st Yoshi match, not only was that first kill on Yoshi bonkers due to you being able to use a 2nd Up+B near the top blast zone, but also your final KO with the b-air demonstrates the risk opponents take when extending their hurtboxes with a smash attack. This has happened to me before (2:53 against this Peach using her up smash).

A perfect example why Lylat Cruise is in Samus's favour:

That is an amazing display of up-air comboing. I take it this is easier to pull off on characters like DDD due to their large hurtboxes?

When things go right, they go "JV3 stock with no mercy" right
Awesome how your CS killed Mewtwo on his 1st stock when he was at 54%. Ouch! That's one of his problems with being a light character.

Just a very satisfactory game I had against a good Sheik player (just not looking so good on this match :V)
A landing up-air is such a great combo starter. It's always risky going for Up+B off stage like you did at 0:24, but when you know the range then you know you'll be able to grab the ledge. Solid use of d-air in this match.

That Sheik should have punished harder when you whiffed Up+B (like at 0:42).

Awesome pivot grab at 0:59 after just waiting patiently for Sheik to get up off the ledge.

Jab 1 to grab works great at 1:05.

Nice n-airs at 1:25 and then off stage at 1:28, and again at 1:32.

Green suit! Nice kill on Cloud's 2nd stock. Bomb drop near the ledge + up-tilt works great. It put Cloud in a bad position and due to his bad recovery, he was finished.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
And now my own contribution (and my first 1.1.3 Samus replay that I am sharing).

For Glory vs. :4greninja:

Once again I am out of practice (notice how sloppy my combo of the dash attack is, and my inability to use z-air), but fortunately I am able to remember some things when playing with Samus.

Some of my own comments regarding this match:

At 0:52, Greninja is at 120%. I land a falling up-air then hit him with jab1, and the problem here is that at this percentage, jab1 pushes the opponent too far to follow up with anything (I didn't have CS), although maybe if I crouch canceled I could have moved faster after jab1. In any case, perhaps it would have been better if I had followed the up-air with Up+B, but I was probably thinking at the time that I was not close enough for Up+B to connect.

At 1:14, again, I don't think I can do much after the jab1 (he's at 139%).

What surprised in this match was Greninja getting a 4 hit string of d-airs one after another at 1:36! I hadn't played a Greninja who could do that before, and it seemed I couldn't get out of it. I had a nice string on his 2nd stock at 2:05 : d-air -> up-tilt -> up-smash, then I hit him with a CS as he is laying on the ground prone after landing (a missed tech?). He got a nice KO on my 1st stock using his counter off my Super Missile at 2:12 (even if he's far, Greninja comes flying out with long range after avoiding the SM). I got a pivot grab at 2:22; those are always fun to pull off.

I did win the match. At 2:45 I set up perfectly for the ledge trump (something I've been learning from watching some of you Samus pros) by going for b-air while ledge guarding, then getting a tether ledge trump. Sadly I didn't take the b-air opportunity on the trump, though I did KO with a b-air soon after.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
And now my own contribution (and my first 1.1.3 Samus replay that I am sharing).

For Glory vs. :4greninja:

Once again I am out of practice (notice how sloppy my combo of the dash attack is, and my inability to use z-air), but fortunately I am able to remember some things when playing with Samus.

Some of my own comments regarding this match:

At 0:52, Greninja is at 120%. I land a falling up-air then hit him with jab1, and the problem here is that at this percentage, jab1 pushes the opponent too far to follow up with anything (I didn't have CS), although maybe if I crouch canceled I could have moved faster after jab1. In any case, perhaps it would have been better if I had followed the up-air with Up+B, but I was probably thinking at the time that I was not close enough for Up+B to connect.

At 1:14, again, I don't think I can do much after the jab1 (he's at 139%).

What surprised in this match was Greninja getting a 4 hit string of d-airs one after another at 1:36! I hadn't played a Greninja who could do that before, and it seemed I couldn't get out of it. I had a nice string on his 2nd stock at 2:05 : d-air -> up-tilt -> up-smash, then I hit him with a CS as he is laying on the ground prone after landing (a missed tech?). He got a nice KO on my 1st stock using his counter off my Super Missile at 2:12 (even if he's far, Greninja comes flying out with long range after avoiding the SM). I got a pivot grab at 2:22; those are always fun to pull off.

I did win the match. At 2:45 I set up perfectly for the ledge trump (something I've been learning from watching some of you Samus pros) by going for b-air while ledge guarding, then getting a tether ledge trump. Sadly I didn't take the b-air opportunity on the trump, though I did KO with a b-air soon after.
Dude that whole chain of Dair>Utilt>USmash was beautiful. Great game! I want to add that to my Arsenal.

Ampheras

Smash Cadet
Guys, I don't know where it's the right place to post it, so I will live it here.
Before Samus UpB ends, there is a extremaly strong hitbox that kills very early. At first I assumed it was just a random whiff, but recently I'm getting to hit this hitbox pretty often. So I wonder: Is there a way we can explore this hitbox intentionally? Can you guys make some research concerning that hitbox (or is there already some study about it)? I will study this also but I'm pretty bad researching this kind of stuff.
Examples:

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
I'm drop these videos here. If you watch, please critique. I know there are some things I could've done better but I feel like these are some of my better matches. The 1st one is a win and the 2nd a loss. Thanks :D (Keep in mind that this was FG and that there was lag; hence grabbing in the wrong direction or mindless running around

Match 1:
:4samus: VS. :4cloud:

Match 2:
:4samus: VS. :4bowser:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Shoutouts to ATX | HaKii for repping Samus in one of his loser bracket matches at Shockwave 62:

http://www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator/v/32732166?t=05h13m36s

And again in the Grand Final of all things. Switches to Samus from game 3:

http://www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator/v/32732166?t=06h08m04s
That's cool, no one around me plays her at my scene and in Boston I've seen 1 other in total. It's a very lonely grind. Also with the new JPN tier list I don't think I'll be convincing anyone to pick her up now. :-/

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
That's cool, no one around me plays her at my scene and in Boston I've seen 1 other in total. It's a very lonely grind. Also with the new JPN tier list I don't think I'll be convincing anyone to pick her up now. :-/
HaKii is a Lucas main but his Samus looked pretty legit.

I just looked up that new Japanese tier list (here's the link for those wondering: http://www.eventhubs.com/imagegallery/2015/dec/30/japans-super-smash-bros-4-113-tier-list/1/) and wow...Samus dead last? Really? She's nowhere near that bad. Not sure exactly what criteria they use to rank the characters cause there's a few other questionable positions there...Mii Brawler being ranked way too low for example and Sonic way too high (he's good sure but he's not on the level of Sheik and ZSS). Lucas is much better than C+, Duck Hunt is a bit too high. ROB too low, Yoshi too high, Pit and Dark Pit are split for some reason.

Samus being unpopular suits me fine in my scene...I can rely on some matchup unfamiliarity for example...and I'm also awful at the Samus ditto :p

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Hey guys it's been a while since I posted videos in this thread so hopefully I've made some improvement. One thing I'm pushing this time is jumping straight out of charge. Take these with a grain of salt, I'm just your average putz trying to have fun playing a game I suck at, so don't expect tournament level play here.

This next one I started out very very poorly but ended with a strong finish to pull an upset.

This last one was my final match I played tonight, worn out, and facing a fresh Yoshi of all things. It's amazing I even lasted a minute in this match let alone win it.

Feedback is always appreciated, I hope I continue to grow under this community's wise and powerful guidance.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I don't have time to practice anymore (and also lately am playing a bit more with my secondaries), but here are some interesting matches I had recently. Feedback appreciated as always!

For Glory vs. :4falcon:

I don't know why but I always go a little bit more aggro when playing For Glory Cap Falcons. I found this match pretty exciting.

I like using Samus' n-air and u-air for combo breakers.

As you can see here, after losing my stock I like to start charging my CS with back facing opponent so I can b-air them as they rush me.

I thought I was a goner in this match, especially when I get f-smashed at 1:53 and get sent flying off the stage, now with 90% damage. I was able to make a comeback somehow and even up the match.

This was a rare Captain I have fought that actually made good use of his down-tilt. That is a very handy move for him and sends me flying off the stage quite far a number of times.

I am just glad he didn't tech when I stage spiked him at 2:49, leading to my victory.

-------------
For Glory vs. :4sheik:

At 0:46, Samus up-tilt beats out Sheik's down-air. That really caught me off guard when I saw that!

I love using n-air at 1:32 and again at 1:47.

I really should have finished this match much earlier. When I drop onto the stage at 1:43 with a fresh stock, Sheik is on last stock at 104%.

Actually, this was not the best Sheik I have played.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
JAZZ_ said:
Feedback is always appreciated, I hope I continue to grow under this community's wise and powerful guidance.
Not so sure about wise and powerful in my case, older and a few grey hairs from more battles I'll grant you. :p

Looking quite good JAZZ, your overall movement and flow has greatly improved, as well as your awareness of options. Very nice d-air -> f-smash, which is narrow window combo requiring the right spacing timing and skill to execute.
If you want criticism, at several points, most notably against the Yoshi, you really could have followed your up-air with a 2nd jump into f-air. Once you've got them in the up-air, go for the follow up, even if your timing and positioning is a bit off the combo window is quite broad in the air and if you miss the window the worst you can eat is a n-air, which won't kill you. It's quite safe to just go for the aerial follow up, so a bit more aerial aggression is my comment.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Not so sure about wise and powerful in my case, older and a few grey hairs from more battles I'll grant you. :p

Looking quite good JAZZ, your overall movement and flow has greatly improved, as well as your awareness of options. Very nice d-air -> f-smash, which is narrow window combo requiring the right spacing timing and skill to execute.
If you want criticism, at several points, most notably against the Yoshi, you really could have followed your up-air with a 2nd jump into f-air. Once you've got them in the up-air, go for the follow up, even if your timing and positioning is a bit off the combo window is quite broad in the air and if you miss the window the worst you can eat is a n-air, which won't kill you. It's quite safe to just go for the aerial follow up, so a bit more aerial aggression is my comment.
I see what you mean, thank you so much. Hopefully in a few more weeks time i will have solved my aeriel aggressiveness issue.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
Not even good gameplay, but it made me laugh because the guy changed his name to spamus before this.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Not even good gameplay, but it made me laugh because the guy changed his name to spamus before this.

Ha ha, you don't know how many people Ive beaten that cry SPAM. Its not uncommon, the rest of the smash community see Samus as nothing more than a CS roll CS roll character. When they cry spam I always think to myself, "I killed you with fast fall up air> uptilt, or Nair> sour spot Dair, or dair/uptilt > UpB, and only shot my CS a total of 8 times... Totally spammed it"

Maybe if there were more popular guide videos showing Samus' combo game the Spamus title could see endangerment or possible extinction.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699

I'm assuming a Link, Sheik or ZSS character will "spam" more than Samus. They'll use Boomerang/Bomb, Fair/Ftilt/BF, and stun more in one match than we can use CS and missiles.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Jonny Westside's sets from 2GGT are up on 2GGaming; Jonny Westside's Samus vs. Mr. ConCon's Luigi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKqlo_14i08.

Jonny Westside's Samus vs. Elegant's Luigi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCW8_X9xHtQ.

Jonny Westside's Samus vs. ZeRo's Sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df3AXrjqCxg.

Jonny Westside's Samus vs. Tyrant's Meta Knight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3UwBWfS38Y.
Awesome play there by Jonny, even taking a game off ZeRo of all players and honestly being pretty unlucky at the end.

Those Meta Knight combos are pretty disgusting though. He was on 38% when he died off the top to that stupid up air to up b string at the end of the final game. WTF man.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I'm not the best player here by a long shot but here's some stuff I noticed:

- Lots of rolling going on. Samus has a very poor roll and you were lucky really that you weren't punished for it a lot. This is a habit I'm trying to break as well, it's difficult to do because it's ingrained as muscle memory. But you need to try to break it and only rely on rolls as a last resort in many cases. Use spot dodges (I don't think I noticed a single spot dodge), use fox trots, use perfect pivots if you can do them. Even just simply shielding is often a good option. Better players will catch on to that rolling habit and punish it hard.
- You had a couple of very nice hard reads there, especially the dair on the recovering falcon, that was nice. Gotta trust your own instincts a bit more though, there were several points throughout those games where you actually had the read and didn't commit to it, instead sometimes deciding to roll away. It looked like you were second guessing yourself. Trust your instincts and if you have the read, go for it.
- A few times you threw a grab out when the opponent was nowhere near you. Not sure if you were expecting them to run in on you or what but you should work on reducing the number of times you do that. Samus gets pwned after a whiffed grab.
- That Yoshi in particular had an awful rolling habit. You used down smash once to punish it, you should utilise it a lot more. Down smash can punish rolls hard, especially slow rolls like Yoshi's.

Overall it's solid play, and in actual fact your playstyle reminds me a lot of how I used to play about 6 months ago. Then I started attending tournaments and regular meets though and really started noticing huge gaps in my play and I've been working on plugging them since then. I've improved a lot but still have a long way to go, including breaking my rolling habit, which I still do way too much.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I'm not the best player here by a long shot but here's some stuff I noticed:

- Lots of rolling going on. Samus has a very poor roll and you were lucky really that you weren't punished for it a lot. This is a habit I'm trying to break as well, it's difficult to do because it's ingrained as muscle memory. But you need to try to break it and only rely on rolls as a last resort in many cases. Use spot dodges (I don't think I noticed a single spot dodge), use fox trots, use perfect pivots if you can do them. Even just simply shielding is often a good option. Better players will catch on to that rolling habit and punish it hard.
- You had a couple of very nice hard reads there, especially the dair on the recovering falcon, that was nice. Gotta trust your own instincts a bit more though, there were several points throughout those games where you actually had the read and didn't commit to it, instead sometimes deciding to roll away. It looked like you were second guessing yourself. Trust your instincts and if you have the read, go for it.
- A few times you threw a grab out when the opponent was nowhere near you. Not sure if you were expecting them to run in on you or what but you should work on reducing the number of times you do that. Samus gets pwned after a whiffed grab.
- That Yoshi in particular had an awful rolling habit. You used down smash once to punish it, you should utilise it a lot more. Down smash can punish rolls hard, especially slow rolls like Yoshi's.

Overall it's solid play, and in actual fact your playstyle reminds me a lot of how I used to play about 6 months ago. Then I started attending tournaments and regular meets though and really started noticing huge gaps in my play and I've been working on plugging them since then. I've improved a lot but still have a long way to go, including breaking my rolling habit, which I still do way too much.
I apreciate the input, the rolling was frustrating because 80% of the rolls were either supposed to be a shield jump cancel out of charge or a shad but lag caused rolls to fly out, not much i could do given my offline play is onpoint with those inputs. But all legitimate criticisms. Thanks

Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I apreciate the input, the rolling was frustrating because 80% of the rolls were either supposed to be a shield jump cancel out of charge or a shad but lag caused rolls to fly out, not much i could do given my offline play is onpoint with those inputs. But all legitimate criticisms. Thanks
Well hopefully they were constructive points :)

Like I said I see a lot of me in your playstyle, so I can kinda relate to what was going on. And yeah, latency messes with you. You don't actually realise how laggy online can be until you've played offline for a while and try to go back to online.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
You know the cynical side of me can't help but wonder whether Sakurai sees the videos of guys like Afro and Jonny and says "Hey guys, look, Samus is fine! No changes needed!".

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You know the cynical side of me can't help but wonder whether Sakurai sees the videos of guys like Afro and Jonny and says "Hey guys, look, Samus is fine! No changes needed!".
Seeing people fall out of her Uair which probably is more common than seeing people fall out of Falco's Up Smash pre-1.0.6? probably might raise some eyebrows for the developers. Similarly, seeing Luigi's pre-1.1.0 D-throw do almost everything would probably raise eyebrows after seeing how successful it proved for Luigi. The issue is what they feel like should change versus what should stay, but in a different state like Captain Falcon's Uair is basically the same, but does 1% less overall than launch versus the hitbox changes to Falco's Nair, Uair, and Fair, Fox's rapid jab, or Ike's a lot of things that I don't remember.

If there's one minor thing I would like changed on Samus, it's her Ftilt. The sour-spot is really weak and no spacing kick Ftilt has sour-spots like that. Captain Falcon and ZSS have sour-spots on their Ftilts, but the Capt.'s lowest damage is 8% and ZSS's is 6%. Samus? Samus's dips into 5% with almost no knockback while the Capt. and ZSS keep the same knockback regardless of hitbox. Samus's Ftilt should do a a minimum, 8%. Why? She's wearing freaking power armor! Are you kidding me? The other minor change would be Uair should just auto-link for all hits, but this would need some re-tuning since technically, Samus's Uair is stronger than Sheik's while just being 1 frame slower. Samus's does if all hits connect, 3% + 1% (x4) + 4% = 11% while Sheik's does 1% (x4) + 4% = 8%. 3% difference in total damage and technically, for multi-hits, only the last hit counts... Samus's knockback for the last his is 30 base and 160 growth to Sheik's 50 base and 138 growth. Samus's Uair has a "worse" launch angle at 70 degrees to Sheik's 80, but Samus would bring her opponent closer to kill percent with that "extra" 3% and if she guarantees all the hits, she's potentially going to be able to kill sooner than Sheik assuming the launch angle doesn't mess with things too much. Problem is Samus can't really setup her Uair like Sheik can. So, maybe the damage doesn't really need to change? I mean, they could just drop the first hit to 1% and make it like a loop hit if it's really a problem, but this would basically make it a Sheik Uair with a different launch angle and knockback. Granted, it really should auto-link since it's a more "weird" move compared to Pikachu's Fair which most likely, you're going to move in laterally and not ascend and move laterally or Fox's Uair which only hits twice compared to Samus's which hits 6 times. Anyway, I'm babbling and it's off-topic, so whatever.

Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Problem is Samus can't really setup her Uair like Sheik can.
That's exactly why Sheik's is so much better than Samus'. It doesn't really matter that on paper Samus' does more damage and knockback. The fact is, she actually doesn't kill from it because she has nothing that confirms into it. Sheik on the other hand reliably kills from hers.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
http://youtu.be/Y3N4JZ6ek_g
I don't normally watch 48 minutes straight of smash gameplay.... But Afro tho
Ah yeah was gonna post this, some notes I made after watching:
  • I F-Smash a bit too much near kill percents, fortunately Gren can't kill from Throws unless I'm very high percent or DI poorly
  • Didn't really get any edgeguard kills, need to trump more and go deeper for spikes
  • I buffer roll too predictably from a few options, spotdodge or hitbox mix up would be good
  • Short Hop too much sometimes, mixing up with other movement options could be better
  • Platform drop through Reverse CS is v good for catching people off guard and relieving platform pressure
  • Empty land to jab is really nice from 40%+ you can see some good examples of this throughout but particularly at 7:15
Overall I find this matchup really difficult, Greninja is much faster than us on both the ground and in the air, and his jump height means combatting his angle of approach without riskily throwing out something pre-emptively is very difficult. His Nair can't be Up B OoS or grabbed, his Shurikens are great at harassing and interrupting Charge time, he's small so walling him out with Zair is difficult and Up Air > Jab doesn't work because Jab goes over him ;-; and he can DI out of our D-Throw reallllllllly easily. Finally the biggest thing is landing safely is extremely difficult, his jump height and fall speed mean he can harass us nearly anywhere and fall back to safety quickly. Or he can wait on the ground with his dash grab (much better frame data than his pivot/standing and has v good range) and Up Smash as a constant threat, with his Dash speed being quick enough to track bomb mix ups fairly easily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom