• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

Gijsbeer

Smash Cadet
First, A giffy :D
http://media.giphy.com/media/PxomUVkdSGNCo/giphy.gif

It's from a bracket match i played this friday at my local. I played two on stream that tourney, first against a sheik. I played pretty well considering te matchup. Second against a palutena, i got destroyed. I'd really like some tips because I know nothing about this matchups. Our country has like 1.5 palutena mains so it's hard to get matchup experience. I make a hail mary switch to dr mario 'cause I didnt know what to do. Dindt work out lol. Also there was another samus main who played against our nations top Link player (a top 5 player nationally in general) and did extremely well considering that. that match can be found on the same YT page as the two below.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Very nice, Gijsbeer overall, yeah you simply don't know the matchup yet. You have to respect her dash attack and b-air priority, otherwise you do have the basic idea, you're simply not used to her hitboxes/priority.
Don't air-dodge out of her d-throw, jump, she doesn't have enough height in her jumps to reach you past say 50% with any sort of confirm. One thing he didn't use, but likely will at some point is the jab to stuff dash attack, palutena's jab is actually quite good against us overall. All of her aerials are very fast, her d-air is criminally fast at 10 frames. All her ground moves are criminally slow, you can basically shield grab every tilt, dash, special, etc... She's the most defensive character in the game, with a counter and a reflector, a teleport, and her f-air poke is quite good but once you know the hitboxes and priority she falls apart. We out damage her, out range her, out combo her and can punish her hard.
I suggest bombs and trumping at the ledge for edgeguard, because she's so defensive going out after her can be bad news (the reflect windbox, the counter, the teleport, the high priority b-air and very fast d-air). One of the few characters I don't actively chase off stage.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
First, A giffy :D
http://media.giphy.com/media/PxomUVkdSGNCo/giphy.gif

It's from a bracket match i played this friday at my local. I played two on stream that tourney, first against a sheik. I played pretty well considering te matchup. Second against a palutena, i got destroyed. I'd really like some tips because I know nothing about this matchups. Our country has like 1.5 palutena mains so it's hard to get matchup experience. I make a hail mary switch to dr mario 'cause I didnt know what to do. Dindt work out lol. Also there was another samus main who played against our nations top Link player (a top 5 player nationally in general) and did extremely well considering that. that match can be found on the same YT page as the two below.

Nice snipes against sheik! Caught him plenty of times charging needles, he didn't respect you enough. Not to mention the CS off stage and great job dodging his BF for you to kill with BAir.

Pale tuna (she is quite pale amirite?) Like DungeonMaster DungeonMaster said is quite defensive. There were a few times he read your air dodge hard killing you or getting good damage. She was baiting you to grab or move laggy and at high % on ledge it's incredibly dangerous as you know getting BAird (my brothers Falco does that to me so I know the pain haha).

Also be careful with your rhythm on Zair a couple times she timed it perfectly to go in, get under and nab you. I know a few more matches tho you'll do great. She IS a rare character but going in blind you did great!

Last edited:

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
Yeah guys. It's really easy now to get tether ledge trumps > reverse Charge Shot. I thought it was tricky at the start (because I at first couldn't reliably do a revesre CS), but now it's so easy and reliable to pull off. I've literally had people not recover because they knew what was coming. I've had people try and recover high because they were dying at 40%. But if they recover high, make sure to air dodge (or fire it early). Try to stay out of the range where they could hit you with a reverse Up B and then trump them if they snap the ledge. This is really good and really easy to pull off time after time once mastered.

(A)

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gamaro93
https://youtu.be/uI3QOflaMdM
I had a match against this link on anthers ladder he is pretty good but seems like he didnt knew the matchup also his roy is better than his link bit i forget to save some replays maybe another time. Please feel free to critique.

(A)

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gamaro93
This is so recordings of me at my last tournament. I am up for any suggestions you guys have in improving my game play.

Samus vs Greninga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMbsaZEu0k

Samus vs Diddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZftkANFWB0
Hi nice samus, however i recommend no to use much risky up b, also with that greninja you should use more projectiles and mobility to win the projectile war, i recommend using that backwards jumping animation of samus to avoid that shuriken then zair or bombs depending, usually when you do a bomb your opponent do a defensive maneuver so you can grab or dash atack or something else depending on the situation, and also you have a CHARGE SHOT, that greninja was baiting you to commitment to do something laggy to punish you, dont rush in if you have space charge that shot. Its my opinion though im not the best samus but i play pretty well 8).

Mmmmm... maybe if you dont attack when you are about to die in the blast zone, im not sure but maybe f you didnt had faired on that ocassions maybe you will survived. Oh and very important check out those airdodge on landing, you did that several times and was punished, think this way, what kills you early greninja upair or greninja usmash?, so choose the least kill option.

Well i finished, if you think im wrong in some points i would like you to reply me so i can learn too n,n.

Edit: Check out this match for example, i tried to avoid pikachu's thunder jolts at 0:52 using bomb and backwards jump animation then i shoot a Super missile.

https://youtu.be/QrsthXFJvfY?t=52

Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
This is so recordings of me at my last tournament. I am up for any suggestions you guys have in improving my game play.

Samus vs Greninga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIMbsaZEu0k

Samus vs Diddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZftkANFWB0
Good play in general.

A few things I picked up on:

- Way too liberal with those up b's. Yes it's a good move but you really overused it and you were lucky not to get punished more than you did
- No real use of missiles. The missiles aren't great, admittedly, but they are still a good spacing tool and you should be trying to mix them in a bit more often. Super missile to charge shot will also break shields
- You never really used bombs on stage either, only ever used them off stage while recovering. Make use of them on stage! Drop a bomb over their head, or drop a bomb in front of you as an alternative spacing tool. At the very least you might do a bunch of shield damage to then follow with a charge shot for a shield break
- No real use of tilts. I think I counted a total of two up tilts in both videos, zero down tilts, a handful of ftilts. You should definitely be looking to incorporate more tilts into your play

But as I said, overall it was good play, both of those matchups are pretty tricky. The greninja was good, the diddy really needs to work on his aggression and projectile game though.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I haven't watched any of these except for this one; Z's Samus, Palutena, and Mewtwo vs. FOW's Villager, Falco, and Lucas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVUs4Y5LmgE. Don't question the last match between them - just don't. :p

Z's Samus vs. SK92's Fox (Winners Singles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaVyKZTDhyQ.

Z's Samus and Palutena vs. SK92's Fox (Losers Finals): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQZGkTmYEQk.

Z's Samus vs. Xero's Olimar and Rosalina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQZsI0HVj8.

Z's Samus vs. Vash's Little Mac: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk_8Dfdu19Y.

Z's Samus vs. #FreeElfy's Yoshi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCCfoMxswrM.

Z's Samus vs. RetroTurtle's Ness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdaDYQ8_ZeM.

From a previous tournament; Z's Mario, Pikachu, and Samus vs. Lycan's Diddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqMIi9kMvG4.

Last edited:

Jman3

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips guys I'll reply with my thoughts. Do know I played a bunch of friendlies with this guy and we went back and forth but I noticed some things that didnt work well against him which I didnt attempt in tournament (super missiles, f tilts).

Hi nice samus, however i recommend no to use much risky up b, also with that greninja you should use more projectiles and mobility to win the projectile war, i recommend using that backwards jumping animation of samus to avoid that shuriken then zair or bombs depending, usually when you do a bomb your opponent do a defensive maneuver so you can grab or dash atack or something else depending on the situation, and also you have a CHARGE SHOT, that greninja was baiting you to commitment to do something laggy to punish you, dont rush in if you have space charge that shot. Its my opinion though im not the best samus but i play pretty well 8).
1. Up-B - Yeah this is a problem I have from Melee that I have been working on fixing. Most of the people in my region don't know how to handle it so it makes they afraid to approach me and I get spacing advantage with zair and can take the match. I have improved on this and do not Up-B as much now.
2. Projectile war - I was way to afraid of the shurikens as they seemed to beat out everything I did (they eat weak CS, weak missiles, and super missiles were to slow on startup). They also seemed to out space my zair when I went for a SH Zair, but you are right if I do a backward SH over the Shuriken then I can Zair.
3. Bombs - I don't like Samus bombs in this game at all I try to use them as little as possible. On stage in neutral if I play against anyone fast (or fast attacks) people just run past the bombs and hit/grab me. I use them off stage sometimes but that is it, none of the good players around here fall for my bomb traps anymore anyway.

- Way too liberal with those up b's. Yes it's a good move but you really overused it and you were lucky not to get punished more than you did
- No real use of missiles. The missiles aren't great, admittedly, but they are still a good spacing tool and you should be trying to mix them in a bit more often. Super missile to charge shot will also break shields
- You never really used bombs on stage either, only ever used them off stage while recovering. Make use of them on stage! Drop a bomb over their head, or drop a bomb in front of you as an alternative spacing tool. At the very least you might do a bunch of shield damage to then follow with a charge shot for a shield break
- No real use of tilts. I think I counted a total of two up tilts in both videos, zero down tilts, a handful of ftilts. You should definitely be looking to incorporate more tilts into your play
1. Up-B - Yeah I use it too much it's something I am working on, I am actually pretty good about not getting punished for it.
2. Missiles - I would like to use more missile but most of the people I play with get past them and get me, I agree that I need to find a better way to use them in game. I also felt like they were not working against graninja, I use them more in my match against Diddy.
3. Bombs - I will disagree with you on this one, I don't like bombs on stage for almost any reason really they are just too laggy and its very frustrating when the explosion causes you to bomb jump by accident. I would agree if they exploded on impact like they do in melee not the timer to impact like they are now but people just run past them and hit me.
4. Tilts - This is more of a matchup thing with me during the friendlies graninja's disjointed hitboxes beat out my F-tilts a lot. I used them a lot in my match against Diddy. I see your point I would like to use more D-tilts but they don't get great followups most of the time so I don't use them but it would be better in some situations.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn

Something I've been doing a lot lately. Screw attack -> ledge grab -> footstool. Not a true combo, but I get it pretty frequently. I got boost kicked and was trying to see if zair shifted my box forward. I don't think it helped. Bonus FU utilt kill at the end to counter the flip kick.

Jman3

Smash Rookie
I got boost kicked and was trying to see if zair shifted my box forward.
It looked like it might have caused you to die earlier, I know she moves forward a little to thrust the arm canon in front but I think her leg moves behind her that might have touched the blast zone (not 100% sure just speculation). This is a good video on momentum canceling and hurt-box shifting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXS0oY-_-so

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
It looked like it might have caused you to die earlier, I know she moves forward a little to thrust the arm canon in front but I think her leg moves behind her that might have touched the blast zone (not 100% sure just speculation). This is a good video on momentum canceling and hurt-box shifting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXS0oY-_-so
Yeah, I was experimenting. I think I should have jumped.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Some FG Mewtwo. Only thing worth noting is the pseudo 0-to-death at the beginning.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
2 Games I had at a local last month

Some cool/jank kills

Get desperate at the end and have to reach in my CS bag o tricks for a platfrom drop through Reverse CS

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Made a compilation vid of my best 3ds highlights and some new clips

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
(Sorry for the double post but I think this merits a separate post rather than an edit.)

I've been hesitant to post the following matches because I feel this is definitely not my best play (too many mistakes and input errors, incorrect follow-ups on combos), but I figure what the heck, why not get some feedback. :)

A set of 3 matches I had against a For Glory :4zss:.

Afro Smash Afro Smash knows I re-watched some of his ZSS matches to gain insight on how to approach this character. I also know Hark17ball Hark17ball defeated a ZSS and became tournament winner (I'm guessing those matches never made it to youtube...).

I win the first match (even got a shield break), but lost the 2nd and 3rd matches. I don't do a good job of reading the opponents' behaviors and also need to learn to mix up what I do to be a little less predictable myself.

I feel my bomb use is definitely under-utilized.

I'm still learning how much of a reach (distance) my grab and f-tilt actually have, you can see several instances where I felt these would land but opponent was out of reach.

One consistent input error I make is not putting the stick in neutral when I want to do a n-air (doing f-air instead ends up costing me a lot!). I also hate when I shoot HM when I was actually trying to bomb drop and move immediately to the side.

During the matches, I wasn't sure how to deal with ZSS constantly doing: paralyzer -> grab. It's a set-up that works well in her favor. Maybe SHAD movement would help me out with that? I was able to jump the Paralyzer and z-air her as I came down some of the times, so there's that.

I want to learn how to ledge trump better. I had an opportunity on Match 2 at 2:08 but don't have enough practice to follow through with it.

Match 1

At 0:29, why was I unable to follow up the dash attack? ZSS was at 8% just before the dash attack hit, I jump and n-air but she jumps out. I think I was too slow. U-air would have been the better choice (higher hit box), that may have been my intent actually.

At 0:39, I don't know what I was thinking doing dash attack after the d-air. U-tilt or even Up+B would have been better.

At 2:29 comes the shield break. It starts with ZSS shielding my d-air, she is pushed back a little. She goes for the grab but my jab 1 comes out fast enough to beat it (gotta love jab 1), though I shouldn't have done jab 2. ZSS puts up shield while I shoot SM, and it's over. I was confident sweet spot f-smash should finish her at 116%; I was right.

Match 2

I get off to a bad start!

At 0:42 I did better with following through on the d-air hit. Up+B is an easy combo finisher for that, but the downside I think is (a) less damage compared to a longer combo and (b) staling Up+B.

At 2:00 I think I was definitely going for u-air after dash attack and of course messed up jumping too high and doing f-air instead.

2:08: Missed opportunity for ledge trump.

At 2:58: This points out how sometimes I'm not sure what to follow up my Super Missile with when opponent is at high percent. It's a matter of anticipating whether they shield the SM or get hit by it. If they shield (which is what I was probably anticipating in this case), I want the CS grounded in the hopes of shield break. If they get hit by SM, of course I will have wanted to do a jumping CS to hit them as the SM launches them up. Here, the jump CS would have been perfect. Maybe... SH CS is a good option because you still get the head shot if they shielded, but you also increase the chances of hitting them in the air if SM hits?

At 3:23, I think I could have footstooled. Not sure if that would have helped a lot.

I lost this match by getting clipped with the last hit of ZSS Up+B. Ugh.

Match 3

I think I played worse in this match!

At 0:48 I'm lucky I wasn't spiked to my death.

1:53: Samus pivot grab is awesome.

When we're both down to our last stock, I get a great early lead racking up damage (I'm at 2% damage and ZSS is at 93% at 2:30) but unfortunately am unable to get the kill. ZSS makes her comeback...

2:40: I f-aired instead of n-aired. Still got the n-air right after that though. I'm feeling good at this point but know it's not over yet.

Soon after, ZSS short hops f-air as I launch SM, and I am unable to react. However, I get her with a f-air off stage and send her flying to the other side. At 3:00 I thought I was in range for f-smash but nope. Our hits clank soon after. Her jab beats my jab but I break her jab combo with a n-air! I rush to the other side and go for a d-air but that was a poor choice and poor timing on my part. At 3:06 she finishes me with a b-air, an easy KO especially considering her rage.

Overall, these were fun matches. So much for me to improve on, I wish I had more free time to practice.

Little bonus clip:
Defeating a For Glory :4tlink:. He wasn't very skilled, but I did like Samus' n-air to CS to close the set at 1:20.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
E.Lopez E.Lopez my matches didn't go to YouTube sadly only the twitch stream. Ill watch your matches at home after work!

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Afro Smash Afro Smash
Solid Samus, misleading title. She can't play the zoning game that unsafe in high lvl play. The magic of Wifi & slow Falco helps.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
E.Lopez E.Lopez i hate facing ZSS on FD i just dont feel as comfortable on it, so being on FG already puts us off to a bad start haha. Im not the best with advice or analysis so take anything i say with a grain of salt. Afro, Kayjay, Dungeon, Xygonn are all far better giving tips!

Game 1
Was a very entertaining match! Remember you dont always have to Zair>Dash. Zair>Grab is a great mixup especially when they are conditioned to shield the Zair>Dash like he did 2 times. Hell even retreating Zair>Tilt just to keep them guessing.

A lot of ZSS like to jump around and vB making you miss a CS or a SM, sometimes leaving you open to get hit by the vB. I like to keep it in my head to use CS after theyve exhausted that vB. (Usually ive been prone to fire it quickly too)

Very good read on his vB to kill him with your Bair. I laughed since you evened it up so quickly.

Great Shield Break and placement to KO him and win.

I like to SHAD Nair and Bair as an approach/retreat. Try adding a few to your gameplay maybe you can make use of it!

Ill edit the post later with the other matches. On route to my Aunts now :3

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
E.Lopez E.Lopez i hate facing ZSS on FD i just dont feel as comfortable on it, so being on FG already puts us off to a bad start haha. Im not the best with advice or analysis so take anything i say with a grain of salt. Afro, Kayjay, Dungeon, Xygonn are all far better giving tips!

Game 1
Was a very entertaining match! Remember you dont always have to Zair>Dash. Zair>Grab is a great mixup especially when they are conditioned to shield the Zair>Dash like he did 2 times. Hell even retreating Zair>Tilt just to keep them guessing.

A lot of ZSS like to jump around and vB making you miss a CS or a SM, sometimes leaving you open to get hit by the vB. I like to keep it in my head to use CS after theyve exhausted that vB. (Usually ive been prone to fire it quickly too)

Very good read on his vB to kill him with your Bair. I laughed since you evened it up so quickly.

Great Shield Break and placement to KO him and win.

I like to SHAD Nair and Bair as an approach/retreat. Try adding a few to your gameplay maybe you can make use of it!

Ill edit the post later with the other matches. On route to my Aunts now :3
Your feedback is much appreciated, I'll take it with a bit more than just a grain of the salt, thanks. :)

Yeah, I see what you mean about my Zair. I really need to keep in mind my different options. I was watching some more of my recent replays and one of my biggest problems is becoming too predictable and following the same pattern throughout a match. Not good!

Ah, vB means 'down' B, got it. Makes sense for ZSS to abuse that and give her a ton of mobility. I never thought about watching for ZSS to exhaust the vB, I'll have to pay more attention to that from now on.

Yep, I definitely need SHAD, in general.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
KayJay KayJay
That set was so intense! Fantastic movement. Clearly shows how much work I need to put into my game to be able to move and react like that.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
https://youtu.be/Ecdt54uxNo4

Played around with a mac main. So here's 9 minutes of screwing around on mac.
At 5:20 I love how you bait Mac's dash attack by charging your CS then almost immediately bomb dropping and retreating. Mac has already dashed toward you, gets hit by bomb, which combos into your up-tilt.

Also at the end (8:50), you were able to capitalize on Mac stumbling off to the left as he was hit by your jab 1 while you faced to the right. That's a strange property of jab 1 that is really useful for setting up spikes but I'm always too late to react, unlike you! Great d-air spike. I think the lesson here is be mindful and ready to spike when using jab 1 near the edge because it can definitely lead to nice set-ups. Also, I think I wasn't aware you could spike with d-air even if you land on the stage instead of going off the stage. The hit-box is low and deep enough to connect?

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
At 5:20 I love how you bait Mac's dash attack by charging your CS then almost immediately bomb dropping and retreating. Mac has already dashed toward you, gets hit by bomb, which combos into your up-tilt.

Also at the end (8:50), you were able to capitalize on Mac stumbling off to the left as he was hit by your jab 1 while you faced to the right. That's a strange property of jab 1 that is really useful for setting up spikes but I'm always too late to react, unlike you! Great d-air spike. I think the lesson here is be mindful and ready to spike when using jab 1 near the edge because it can definitely lead to nice set-ups. Also, I think I wasn't aware you could spike with d-air even if you land on the stage instead of going off the stage. The hit-box is low and deep enough to connect?
Absolutely.

Jackal Eire

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, have a couple of matches to share!
From what I see my neutral game is still weak, and I'm grabbing (and rolling) about every ten seconds and at the ledge SO MANY TIMES... It's like my brain wants to pick a better option but my hands are like "nah we're tired"
*presses z*
Any other input you guys have would be great, Samus is so goddamn fun!

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
A perfect example why Lylat Cruise is in Samus's favour:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I recorded this match because of the fun ending, but more applicable is the illustration of the sideways disjoint on screw attack against yoshi's down-b @ 1:30

I've described this before, just a really great illustration.

Top Bottom