• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

cox1121

Smash Cadet
Nothing special, but thought I would post a vid for critique. Mario seems like a hard match up for me and this was FG.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I've got a tournament tomorrow night so I hope to have a bunch of vids for you guys to pick apart! Last month I got to Grand Finals against this really good ZSS player...I reset the bracket 3-1 and then lost game 5 of set 2 as we were both down to our last hit. The stream video got messed up tho so I couldn't get anything to show you guys.

This is assuming I do well, work slows down enough next week to let me focus on advanced tech training so I'll probably be here asking a lot of timing tricks shortly, along with sending vids to Afro as I haven't played much due to my job. ^_^

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I'm not entirely satisfied yet with my Samus. There's things I know I can do (thanks to everyone here on the boards) but haven't quite got it, mostly because I don't have a lot of free time to hone my skills on combos, techs, etc. which would vastly improve the way I use her.

So I just do the best I can.

Here are some recent clips of me vs a FG Cap. Falcon where we played best out of 3 (I won game 1 and lost 2 and 3). As you can see I'm kind of all over the place, a bit erratic, and obviously in need of controlling the space better.

Match 1

The good:
  • Landed some Up+Bs early on
  • Got some reverse CS hits

The bad:
  • Unnecessary f-smashes
  • Predictable recoveries
  • Need to look for combo opportunities so I can increase damage output
  • At 1:25 I think I had a wall jump in mind but screwed that up
Match 2

The good:
  • Broke his shield

The bad:
  • Messed up going for dirty bomb. He was at 95%, maybe should have just f-smashed instead
  • Didn't ledge snap my Up+B resulting in punish
  • Missed Up+B
  • Tried pivot grab but went in wrong direction
  • Lost 2nd stock by falling off the ledge after release from Cap's grab.

Match 3

The good:
  • Spot dodged his Falcon punch, then he tried it again when I had a CS going (mistake on his part), resulting in his first stock loss
  • At 2:12 I made him tumble off the ledge with a baby CS (I could have followed up better on that one)
  • 2:21 my n-air was a good counter
  • At 3:00 I start a nice string of b-air, then d-tilt as he grabbed ledge (thanks to Afro for that tip), then d-air as he landed.

The bad:
  • After grab, I use the wrong throw (down throw should have been my go-to most of the time). Not sure why I was using forward throw.
  • Whiffed grab too many times (maybe I was nervous)
  • Really dumb Up+B landing leads to my first stock loss
  • Crazy to see f-smash miss him at 2:18, but I see it's because I angled it up and he crouched during tilt I think.
  • At 2:23 I was a little off with bomb drop. My goal was to drop it on stage but it was off and went down the abyss.
  • Input error at 2:43 (missile instead of bomb)
  • After getting the d-air at end of the match, I thought Up+B would combo but I miscalculated and got punished hard, losing the match.
I would appreciate all criticism and areas of improvement.

(Yes, I know FG isn't the best way to get better. There is a local scene in my area that meets up Wed. nights, but as a father of two it just doesn't work out!)

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I won my tournament of 60! Against the very same ZSS I lost to on game 9 of grand finals. Just the opposite since I put him into Losers. I'll edit my post later today with the matches.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
E.Lopez E.Lopez you have improved very significantly since your last showing!

Some great stuff all around in this recent batch of posted vids.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
DungeonMaster DungeonMaster , thanks, it means a lot to me hearing that from you and the other high-level Samus players on these boards. Definitely encourages me to keep at it! :)

You have a pretty solid Samus, in my opinion.

:4mario: match: That's a pretty decent Mario you faced. You had nice use of f-air throughout the match, and nice to see n-air still hits Mario at 1:48 even if he caped you. Right after that, you were hanging on the ledge holding full CS while Mario came tumbling down off the side of the screen. It seems like a good opportunity for a ledge release -> reverse CS although there's a risk of him reflecting it, I suppose.

:4robinm:match: Good Up+B OoS. Also, it looks like you're mindful of beating out opponent's projectiles with CS. Really cool to see you disrupt his jabs at 0:41 with n-air and take the stock at that point.

:4ness: match: At 0:40, hard to believe your fully charged CS simply clanks with Ness' PK Fire! Doesn't seem right that should happen but such is the Smash 4 engine. At 0:50 I like the z-air as you jump up off ledge release, the spacing on that was spot on. Too bad for this Ness, his timing was off whenever he tried the bat reflect on your projectiles.

Also, next time please consider posting all your videos into one post. Posting each video one after the other in separate posts is a bit unnecessary.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
http://www.twitch.tv/intothemawbsu/v/23067609?t=52m02s vs :4littlemac:,:4shulk:

http://www.twitch.tv/intothemawbsu/v/23086475?t=1h30m40s vs :4peach:,:4rob:

http://www.twitch.tv/intothemawbsu/v/23086475?t=2h01m45s vs :4zss:

http://www.twitch.tv/intothemawbsu/v/23086475?t=2h24m30s vs :4zss: GF Set1&2

Im the goofy looking one in the Maroon shirt and Bruins hat. I'm bad with time stamps from my phone so just highlight the entire link to view. Grand Finals I did have input errors and possibly the worst shield punish in the history of my smash career haha.

Overall tho it was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to everyone's advice for me to improve to defend my title!

Also big shout out to my brother Bombsoldier13 Bombsoldier13 for coming in 8th and taking out Wizdorf a player that's never been outside of top 8.

Last edited:

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
^ I want Youtube links :( can't watch them on my phone :(

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64

Here's a friendly match vs a greninja main I met. He was tough! But I figured a few things out in the end that really helped.
Nice! I ran into a good Greninja when playing For Glory:

This guy knew his combos well, that's for sure! This match was a lot of fun, we ended up going toe-to-toe up until the very end where I just barely won. I had to record this replay off screen because it was too long for the in-game upload.

One thing I notice in my match is I don't think I capitalized to the full extent of some nice d-air hits I got (like at 2:17 and 2:21)! I could have used more Up+B OoS too.

Hark17ball Hark17ball , thanks for sharing the vids, I'll be giving them a watch. Congrats again!

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Lol, I am lost - do I keep spamming Afro Smash Afro Smash or is Danish making the video? Maybe you guys are talking on skype group or something...
Should I be posting stuff here?
I've been experimenting with fair strings quite a bit recently (I think Afro may have his fill of them) since the damage buff.

Hark17ball Hark17ball Great show! Congrats! I think I've said it before but I swear, we think alike. Something like 50% of your actions and reactions I'm already doing in my own mind. It's uncanny.
When you got that shield break high up on the platform, low percents go for the up-tilt combo! You could have sealed the set with bomb -> up-tilt -> J -> up-B = death.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Lol, I am lost - do I keep spamming Afro Smash Afro Smash or is Danish making the video? Maybe you guys are talking on skype group or something...
I've been experimenting with fair strings quite a bit recently (I think Afro may have his fill of them) since the damage buff.

Hark17ball Hark17ball Great show! Congrats! I think I've said it before but I swear, we think alike. Something like 50% of your actions and reactions I'm already doing in my own mind. It's uncanny.
When you got that shield break high up on the platform, low percents go for the up-tilt combo! You could have sealed the set with bomb -> up-tilt -> J -> up-B = death.
Thanks man! I was actually going for Utilt to combo....then when I did USmash my soul was like FFFFFF haha. I have to go over all your combo stuff again. Is the bomb>Utilt just for added damage?

Last edited:

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
I need some clips in this.

Nah it's my community montage. Here's the trailer. I'm supposed to be finishing it up tonight, if you guys got any clips link em!

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Im not sure Danish is Samus specific, his editing is beyond mine though so i honestly wouldnt mind him takin over

Bombsoldier13

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2191-7848-4007

Im the goofy looking one in the Maroon shirt and Bruins hat. I'm bad with time stamps from my phone so just highlight the entire link to view. Grand Finals I did have input errors and possibly the worst shield punish in the history of my smash career haha.

Overall tho it was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to everyone's advice for me to improve to defend my title!

Also big shout out to my brother Bombsoldier13 Bombsoldier13 for coming in 8th and taking out Wizdorf a player that's never been outside of top 8.
Yeah I'm definitely glad I was able to get revenge on him for last month. If only I had those matches streamed to share though...

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
DanishButrCookies DanishButrCookies I tried the highlights and post-to-youtube thingy again last night but it doesn't cut video the way I like it. You likely have enough Samus material as it stands, if you're short I'll pull out the recorder tonight.

Afro Smash Afro Smash editing is a pain! But you signed up, you should finish what you started :p

Hark17ball Hark17ball yep, damage, make sure the bounce from the up-tilt is high enough. At higher % you could do a cute bomb -> d-air -> up-B but a fully charged up-smash (facing away to get the back hit) may kill just as well.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64

Wow, did I see someone play with the GamePad, and then someone else play with Wiimote?

I did watch all your matches this weekend (off and on as I was taking care of my 2-year-old kid), though I wasn't able to take any notes at the time. I was planning to re-watch some on the ol' work computer now but twitch doesn't work here, just youtube :( . So please let us know if these make it to YT eventually.

Anyway, it was exciting watching you get those shield breaks and seeing you go back and forth against the ZSS. I do want to take a closer look at these matches again because I'm sure I can pick up a few things for my Samus as well!

Also, I'm glad for DungeonMaster DungeonMaster 's suggestion on what to do when shield break occurs on a top platform. When I saw that happen when you were playing, I was also wondering to myself what would be the best option to use.

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
DanishButrCookies DanishButrCookies I tried the highlights and post-to-youtube thingy again last night but it doesn't cut video the way I like it. You likely have enough Samus material as it stands, if you're short I'll pull out the recorder tonight.

Afro Smash Afro Smash editing is a pain! But you signed up, you should finish what you started :p

Hark17ball Hark17ball yep, damage, make sure the bounce from the up-tilt is high enough. At higher % you could do a cute bomb -> d-air -> up-B but a fully charged up-smash (facing away to get the back hit) may kill just as well.
Afro Smash Afro Smash I wouldn't mind doing some of the editing bruv, if you'd like we could work together on it! PM me on Twitter.
DungeonMaster DungeonMaster You're probably right, I think we'll leave the Samus clips for Afro lol.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Ok guys, I got something for you guys. You've all probably had one of those days where you only have a few minutes to go before you leave home for the morning so you boot up your wii for some quick FG. You dont even warm up in training mode just jump right into 1v1's. That first match for me is usually garbage, I mean You woke up minutes ago, no practice and your opponent is already warmed up. However this morning something happened, I actually played not only well, but very well against a decent Cap. Falcon. Granted I cant say I played at Afro Smash Afro Smash DanishButrCookies DanishButrCookies DungeonMaster DungeonMaster or Depth_ Depth_ 's level. those guys play soo freakin good I cant even dream myself in their skill bracket. but for me this was pretty good, against a MU that I hate. (psst I like using bombs... ALOT)

feel free to critic this guys. And thanks for all your help last time.

(A)

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gamaro93
Ok guys, I got something for you guys. You've all probably had one of those days where you only have a few minutes to go before you leave home for the morning so you boot up your wii for some quick FG. You dont even warm up in training mode just jump right into 1v1's. That first match for me is usually garbage, I mean You woke up minutes ago, no practice and your opponent is already warmed up. However this morning something happened, I actually played not only well, but very well against a decent Cap. Falcon. Granted I cant say I played at Afro Smash Afro Smash DanishButrCookies DanishButrCookies DungeonMaster DungeonMaster or Depth_ Depth_ 's level. those guys play soo freakin good I cant even dream myself in their skill bracket. but for me this was pretty good, against a MU that I hate. (psst I like using bombs... ALOT)

feel free to critic this guys. And thanks for all your help last time.
Hi n,n
Im glad to see you had a good match, good grab at 0:22 also good catch with the Cs on 1:02, however that Captain falcon was playing so bad in my opinion, or maybe it was a laggy match, i dont want to take away any credit to you.
In the area you need to improve is on the spacing, like in 0:52 that zair and grab could be seriously pinished.
other than that is hard to tell cause that Captain didnt do pretty well or maybe it was a laggy match so ignore a lot of the things i wrote,
PD: Awesome artwork is really cool great work i love it :D

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Not mine, but some high level Samus gameplay worth watching:

Lian (Gravity) vs. MegaRiff (Varia)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO3SARWfGFI
Samus ditto is a very difficult one for me, personally (it's a MU I don't have much experience with actually).

Good use of jab 1 by both Samus players.

Nice pivots too. For example, really nice pivot to CS at 1:50 by Lian.

MegaRiff pulled off a nice reverse CS and secured a KO just as he was about to land back on the stage at 2:35.

Lian closed out the match with a great z-air -> f-smash. I need to learn that!

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Part I of my zero to death montage, the basic strings I use to wreck people (and their will to fight).
Some of these players were actually quite good, the last mewtwo player was perhaps the best I've ever played (404error was his tag, claimed he was leffen, I don't believe him, but he was insanely good).
Some are just paralyzed with fear after being comboed hard, they are either reflexively air-dodging, jumping or otherwise making mistakes.
And some people just get wrecked of course :p

All of this is from the last couple of weeks, Afro Smash Afro Smash has a bunch of the original replays, and by all means if they suit your bill add them into the community video.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Part I of my zero to death montage, the basic strings I use to wreck people (and their will to fight).
Some of these players were actually quite good, the last mewtwo player was perhaps the best I've ever played (404error was his tag, claimed he was leffen, I don't believe him, but he was insanely good).
Some are just paralyzed with fear after being comboed hard, they are either reflexively air-dodging, jumping or otherwise making mistakes.

All of this is from the last couple of weeks, Afro Smash Afro Smash has a bunch of the original replays, and by all means if they suit your bill add them into the community video.
I haven't watched yet, but I'll say thanks so much! I know I need to buckle down and start learning character specifics now....this will be a huge help!

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer

I never seem to be able to land that many charge shots on recovering opponents. They air dodge them 90% of the time. Nice work. I really need to work on baiting out bad reactions so I can land them more consistently.

I got a pretty sweet zero to death on a Falco the other day. Didn't save the replay but it was pretty satisfying as Falco is a matchup I struggle with hard. He respawned, I jumped above him as he ran at me and dropped a bomb on his head, then fired off a charge shot immediately. Followed it with a grab, pummel and back throw off the edge to then down air for a spike.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks! Yes, it's hard reads and conditioning.

In fact the opening sequence is explicitly to show that, the ZSS thinks "He caught my airdodge with f-air, damn, oh he missed! I avoided the CS! I'm safe!" and no, that's not at all what I was aiming for. Watched in abstraction you can feel the flow of the spike coming a mile away, I knew he had no jumps left. That ZSS was wave bouncing on steroids the rest of the match incidentally.
Most of the CS are actually not Hail-Mary distance, they're relatively close to mid-range.
Some of my opponents are serial air-dodgers, the mewtwo at 0:18, I know he's just going to airdodge so I do a double air-dodge read. That's hard to do, really rewarding, but not a simple setup despite the look of it.
The T-link is screwed by the falling out of f-air trap, if he airdodges the CS will hit him regardless as he'll take landing lag. He tried to jump out of the combo, so he has no 2nd jump and I recognize his confusion leading to death.
Fox juggle at 1:21, he gets tagged by the 52 damage bomb to basic combo, and he has been conditioned that I like to grab his landing, so then he tries to d-air my intercept twice, but I've got my angles right, you lose rodent. Finally he's just trying to get back to stage in desperation, anticipating another air-to-air and forgets I have CS.
ZSS at 2:06, shocked I stuffed the rather predictable flip-jump with f-air (up air is better all around but I want to kill here) and that surprise means death.
Falcon at 2:15 loves to air-dodge, does so with my missed input sh up-air, but for some reason is completely shocked that if you give a full stage length to Samus missile -> super missile -> dash attack is a string. He was a terrible player, I shouldn't have taken 100 damage.
Mario at 3:00 doesn't air-dodge the 2nd f-air string (I could have true comboed without landing, my own failed input) then I anticipate he will air-dodge and he's had enough of this game.
The final mac loses his jump to the initial dash attack, he can't do anything but sideB or die. I feel bad showing mac in this montage, but that's the only example I had in the past few weeks of b-air ledge knockoff to dash attack to steal jump.
I've been experimenting with f-air quite a bit recently since the damage boost. Felt the montage was a bit too f-air -> CS heavy, why I labelled it "basic" strings, they do work however.

Last edited:
Top Bottom