• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@Afro Smash really great z-air spacing, crazy good, persistent.
Marcbri definitely downloaded you - you never d-smash! Go count the number of times he just does a silly roll behind and hits you.
D-smash is not the best move but it's essential for at least signalling you're not going to accept for-glory style"roll behind me".
If you really hate the move mix in some some empty up-airs instead of a z-air, to keep them guessing.

Last edited:

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
I've been trying not to punish with up b oos too much. It's a kill move for me on the ground or reading airdodges after chasing with up-airs.
I like your neutral game. OOS up-b, air dodge bair, PP CS, etc. The only thing I feel that could've been better is the off stage game or recovery. For example:
0:14 I don't know if you were just watching for a ledge trump, but if you came up with up air, that could've potentially been the stock. Although you did it at 4:04
0:50 if you went for nair... Oh man that would've been hot.
1:29 if you fell with nair, could've ended it
1:56 if you fell with bair
Blah blah there was a bit more.
I think you should try down throw nair a bit more. Also, instead of trying to catch someone with bair when they're recovering a little high try up tilt. Also, Samus can do so much on the ledge, so be a little more patient and keep your cool. If you mix it up, like hold your tether and they attempt to ledge trump or they go for bair, you can react to that.
Of course this is just what I think, take it however you want.

Last edited:

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
Just out of curiousity, how long did it take you guys to learn to PP reliably? I can foxtrot, dash dance and extended dash dance with samus but her PP is ridiculously tough for me.

(A)

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gamaro93
Just out of curiousity, how long did it take you guys to learn to PP reliably? I can foxtrot, dash dance and extended dash dance with samus but her PP is ridiculously tough for me.
I dont remember exactly how long but for me is harder to do extended dash dance than a PP, maybe because super wave dash con melee haha,
But seriously Did You guys found harder to do a pp rather than extended dash dance?

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
I realized that the best way for me to practice perfect pivot was to actually just use them in matches when I saw fit. After a lot of spaghetti, I got the hang of it. I did the same thing with foxtrot canceling. You have to implement technology sooner or later.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I know this isn't really the place to post it, but I didn't really see a Samus Social thread :p

I picked up Samus a few days ago, and I must say, I love her! Her moveset, her lagless areals, everything! Definitely gonna main her now, alongside Ganondorf

But, what is up with her jab? It's super-slow and doesn't even connect.

Gr4pefru1t

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Octorock
I know this isn't really the place to post it, but I didn't really see a Samus Social thread :p

I picked up Samus a few days ago, and I must say, I love her! Her moveset, her lagless areals, everything! Definitely gonna main her now, alongside Ganondorf

imo I hate jab 2, but jab 1 can lock so there's that. Can also knock people off platforms (Ex. Battlefield) for either a lock or a tech chase

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552

You probably wanna look here as this is mainly about the game play videos. It's fine though, we still discuss thoroughly here sometimes.
Her jabs don't connect, usually it is best to go for jab to down tilt, jab to f-tilt, jab to grab, etc. Her jab reset is viable though.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Like some people have said before, Samus is a super heavyweight with a frame 3 jab, which is pretty nice. At higher percents depending on how close the opponent is to Samus, jab 1 will either push the opponent out of range or combo into jab 2. If it combos, it's 11 damage and sets up tech chases with CS. If it pushes out of range, it just puts you back in neutral without any big downsides. Sometimes you can get a grab or something. At 150+ jab 1 sets up tech chases with CS. At low percents it sucks and you should be using dtilt at close range instead, and keeping them away with zair, ftilt, pp utilt, bair, etc.

Last edited:

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
I got 9th at my first tournament today using almost only samus :) it was only out of 64 players but still haha

Boney

Smash Apprentice
So ESAM brought out Samus for his last game in loser's finals because his pika was getting wrecked by Nairo's Dr Mario. They were going pretty even until he lost his first stock to a point blank reflected CS. He also lost for having a bad ledge game and regrabbing the ledge after a fair. Hopefully MLG uploads the set soon.

Also, was Xyro on stream? How did he do

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
So ESAM brought out Samus for his last game in loser's finals because his pika was getting wrecked by Nairo's Dr Mario. They were going pretty even until he lost his first stock to a point blank reflected CS. He also lost for having a bad ledge game and regrabbing the ledge after a fair. Hopefully MLG uploads the set soon.

When in danger, remember to tether. You could get a free b8 & punish out of that.

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1

Who am I to critique, but ESAM's Samus was playing like bad. You can easily regard ledge with Z-air after a F-air. Must've panicked or wasn't thinking of it.

If reflectors weren't so OP, though... Ness bat killed me at 20%...

Seamus, imo, can handle Doc and Mario. If you're gonna Charge Shot, do it while jumping off the ledge.

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
Who am I to critique, but ESAM's Samus was playing like bad. You can easily regard ledge with Z-air after a F-air. Must've panicked or wasn't thinking of it.

If reflectors weren't so OP, though... Ness bat killed me at 20%...

Seamus, imo, can handle Doc and Mario. If you're gonna Charge Shot, do it while jumping off the ledge.
He definitely nearly gave up at that point IMO. He tried to recover with auto canceled fair on Doc multiple times and didn't mix it up. I think he is still learning how to play Smoose, and at that point he just thought to himself "why not?"

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMtChjnpF5Y
From a local tourney yesterday made it to losers final then lost to a Luigi. Critique and feedback is appreciated.
Soft hit of uair landing is always a confirm into upb (e.g. 3:58 and you rolled away). If you really want to work on your tech you maybe could have combo'd it into jab into fsmash. Close at that percent for Ike.

Nice SH zair work. Loved the commentators' reactions.

_gold_

Smash Master
It's common courtesy for one not to interrupt a CS

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey

OK guys, here's a FG set I had last night. I felt very good in this match and after 0:46 I really felt amazing. Maybe I should have a chocolate stout before all of my FG matches... anyway, let me know what you think. Keep in mind I'm terrible and haven't mastered perfect pivoting at all yet, and I roll in FG because Im still working on SHAD timing in FG. (Offline I nail it all the time)

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552

OK guys, here's a FG set I had last night. I felt very good in this match and after 0:46 I really felt amazing. Maybe I should have a chocolate stout before all of my FG matches... anyway, let me know what you think. Keep in mind I'm terrible and haven't mastered perfect pivoting at all yet, and I roll in FG because Im still working on SHAD timing in FG. (Offline I nail it all the time)
Praise:
The bombs in neutral. I love that. I really liked the bomb to F-smash, very nice. Also liked your use of falling up air, and up tilt.
Improvement:
One thing I am noticing is that you are being too patient with this opponent. Right off the bat that first down throw could've potentially been down throw, run up up air, back air, and if he's a noob and goes in, down air.
Charging the charge shot is good, but don't let it interrupt your opportunities for good combos.
The second stock was good because you played patiently with an advantage, but too many charge shots were let go early. More short hop bairs and short hop zairs would've been perfect.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Praise:
The bombs in neutral. I love that. I really liked the bomb to F-smash, very nice. Also liked your use of falling up air, and up tilt.
Improvement:
One thing I am noticing is that you are being too patient with this opponent. Right off the bat that first down throw could've potentially been down throw, run up up air, back air, and if he's a noob and goes in, down air.
Charging the charge shot is good, but don't let it interrupt your opportunities for good combos.
The second stock was good because you played patiently with an advantage, but too many charge shots were let go early. More short hop bairs and short hop zairs would've been perfect.
Thanks, the past month I've been really pushing my use of bombs. And I agree that I was way too patient. I normally will go for that combo but I don't know why I didn't there. And I did release waaay too much and too early. Thanks for the input, I'll try to push that aggressiveness.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699

Also don't let your CS fly as soon as you get it. You spent that time charging it make him be nervous of it! If you use it right away people will grow accustomed to that and you'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage constantly.

S4MUS

Smash Rookie
NNID
LordOfTheOcean
I was playing at my local today against a skilled G&W. I was at 0%, he was at 40%. I upb'd him on the top platform, landing one of the first hits only. I was surprised when it killed, even if I know that it is possible. Won the set because of it, too. Anyone else have this kind of thing happen to them?

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
I was playing at my local today against a skilled G&W. I was at 0%, he was at 40%. I upb'd him on the top platform, landing one of the first hits only. I was surprised when it killed, even if I know that it is possible. Won the set because of it, too. Anyone else have this kind of thing happen to them?
Yup, the base knock back of the first few hits of Samus's up-b are ridiculous..

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Samus is a super heavyweight
Nitpicking a bit but no she's not. The super heavyweights are Bowser, DK, Dedede, Charizard and Ganondorf. Samus sits in the next tier of weight class, alongside Bowser Jr, Wario and Ike.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Nitpicking a bit but no she's not. The super heavyweights are Bowser, DK, Dedede, Charizard and Ganondorf. Samus sits in the next tier of weight class, alongside Bowser Jr, Wario and Ike.
Yeah, I don't know why I put that. Sometimes I'm surprised by how early she can die to moves you wouldn't think would kill her, like some fsmashes killing her at 60-70% near the edge.

Gijsbeer

Smash Cadet
Hey there, I was at a local this friday and played two matches on stream. Honoustly I didnt play at my best. My Johns are that I woke up at 5:30 to work in construction untill I got home at 17:15, then went straight to the tourney to be TO, commentator and play. However should still be pretty decent to watch, ofcourse any and all criticism is appreciated though I definitely wasnt on my game.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364

I actually don't really find the SHAD timing that hard to do tbh, even online. What I did was set shield to L and buffered air dodge the moment I tapped the X-button (short hop). It's kind of become second nature to me ever since I tried that method (R button didn't work well for me at aaaaall), so it's worked out pretty nicely for me, actually.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Hadn't seen any posts about it, but ZeRo made a video about Samus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAbeAeE-XUU

Honestly, it's not bad. I had been wanting him to make a video about Samus, but I was afraid it'd be full of false info. He seemed pretty knowledgable and good opinions from good players are always nice.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Yeah, I don't know why I put that. Sometimes I'm surprised by how early she can die to moves you wouldn't think would kill her, like some fsmashes killing her at 60-70% near the edge.
Yeah I know, I was actually really surprised when I saw her actual in game weight, because the number of times I've been KO'd sub-100% doesn't really indicate that she's particularly heavy. She's the 7th heaviest character in the game but is also really floaty, so she can be KO'd a lot earlier than other characters in her weight class.

Top Bottom