• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

S4MUS

Smash Rookie
NNID
LordOfTheOcean
You are very patient i can deff learn a thing or 2 from you. Including a new found love for Duck Hunt. My brother mains sonic....i now know what to look for ^_^
Yeah, the tree can be helpful for a lot of matchups, Sonic especially.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
heres a ditto match I had against someone who really didnt like me beating his Lucario.

And this was um.. interesting. the kirby wouldnt approach so I just had some fun at his expense.

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I'm embarrassed to post any of my videos since I haven't even been practicing or playing much Smash lately, but I do have one I'd like to share, with some questions:

1) At 0:14, my screw attack is defeated by C.F.'s down B. Is this because I was at a vulnerable portion of Samus' attack (vs. early on in screw attack where there are invulnerability frames)?

2) Something weird happened at 0:50. C.F. dash grabbed me, I think I broke free from his grab, we both fell, and somehow in our attempts to recover with our Up B's, he couldn't recover. Watching in slo-mo, I think my Up+b came out just after his, which interrupted his recovery. Before he realized he needed to repeat Up B, he had fallen too deep? Is that correct?

heres a ditto match I had against someone who really didnt like me beating his Lucario.
Samus dittos usually abuse Charge Shot, so I was surprised this one did not.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ E.Lopez E.Lopez yep, up-B is not very high priority, a lot of moves just beat it because the hurtbox is too close to the hitboxes. Basically anything with a slight disjoint wins. It's stupid.
I'll use that clip if you don't mind in community Samus issues video.
And yes, he burned his jumps and got caught sleeping in recovery. Falcon's recovery is quite bad and he falls and fast falls like a rock.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I don't mind at all if you use my clip for the issues video! I'm glad I was able to contribute (without realizing it :) ).

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I'm embarrassed to post any of my videos since I haven't even been practicing or playing much Smash lately, but I do have one I'd like to share, with some questions:

1) At 0:14, my screw attack is defeated by C.F.'s down B. Is this because I was at a vulnerable portion of Samus' attack (vs. early on in screw attack where there are invulnerability frames)?

Samus dittos usually abuse Charge Shot, so I was surprised this one did not.
@ E.Lopez E.Lopez yep, up-B is not very high priority, a lot of moves just beat it because the hurtbox is too close to the hitboxes. Basically anything with a slight disjoint wins. It's stupid.
The disjoint is on the sides of the screw attack. I have (had before the patch? Not sure when I took them) some replays saved of me beating CF down be, sonic dair, zss dair, yoshi downb etc. Screw attack (except the last hit) is made of two hitboxes that are above and to the right and left of Samus. In the middle you are actually vulnerable because the hitboxes do not fully overlap your hurtbox.

I don't know if all the units are the same, but they are body hitboxes (bone 0) with y,z of 6.5,5 and 6.5,-5 (presumably x axis is actually into the plane of play for this bone) The size is 4 (radius I'm pretty sure). This puts a dead spot in the center two units big that anything can pass through. You are also vulnerable from below. The last hitbox is dead center at 6.5,0 and is size 9.6.

Y=0 is the floor. Y=12 is jab height

Source:
241 - SPECIALHI - 1BA6EBD5
http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/mastercore3/dump/144/samus

Here is a visual guide:

Black line is Y=0, the ground.
Green are the startup boxes.
Orange is the during boxes.
Blue is the last hitbox.
Red is the approximate hurt box (it's probably a little smaller than that).

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
A bo5 Vs the UKs top Shulk, if you're disappointed with my play in the first few games (I was) just hold out for the last one ;o

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
SkaterJayy's Samus vs. Outfoxd's Duck Hunt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ik5n3GGLw.

SkaterJayy's Samus and Ike vs. @ZTD | TECHnology's Meta Knight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qinqFde_iPs.

SkaterJayy's Samus vs. Rog's Diddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u78YVV56J_o.

SkaterJayy's Samus and Ike vs. Zinoto's Diddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLjb8Uht1o8.

Fatyblob's Samus vs. Zinoto's Diddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JciTXax9kw.

Fatyblob's Samus vs. SkaterJayy's Marth and ZSS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXpcSMdJhgE.

Have fun critiquing all of this.

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
A bo5 Vs the UKs top Shulk, if you're disappointed with my play in the first few games (I was) just hold out for the last one ;o

Wow, I can see why he is UK's top Shulk. Love his commentary in the video. Just watched the first set, good job on that one Afro (was a close one), I'll keep watching.

@ Ffamran Ffamran , thanks for sharing. I haven't watched them all yet, but I'm impressed by SkaterJayy. He closed both sets against Rog's Diddy with a ledge trump -> b-air kill (2:21, then 8:33).

Just watched Fatyblob against Zinoto's Diddy. That was painful to see Diddy tear up Samus like that.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
@ Ffamran Ffamran , thanks for sharing. I haven't watched them all yet, but I'm impressed by SkaterJayy. He closed both sets against Rog's Diddy with a ledge trump -> b-air kill (2:21, then 8:33).

Just watched Fatyblob against Zinoto's Diddy. That was painful to see Diddy tear up Samus like that.
Considering that Samus's Bair is just 1 frame slower - it's frame 9 while ZSS's is frame 8 -, but has similar range and is just as strong, ledge trump Bairs with either Samus should be a thing Samus and ZSS players have down pat. The major only difference between their Bairs is that Samus's Bair has a late hit. Watching it was like, "Wait... doesn't ZSS do that too... Oh wait, it's ZSS in her Power Suit." Coolest thing would be the Utilt against Monkey Flip before Monkey Flip's hitbox was commanded out. That's an anti-air if I ever saw one.

Zinoto's one of the top Diddy players in the Midwest along with JJRockets. Wasn't surprising to see Zinoto do stuff like that. Still, pretty impressive that SkaterJayy was able to take second with mostly Samus.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Some games I had vs a great ganon a few months ago on 3ds, changed my perspective on the MU a bit

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Im getting better at using bombs to guarantee a F smash kill.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Hey guys! I'm a long time fan of the metroid franchise and Samus is probably my number one favorite game character of all time. I tried Samus a while ago and she just didnt work out for me, even though I reaaaallly want her to. Watching the games you upload have given me the will to really try and make her work, give her a few weeks of dedication and see where it gets me. Thanks!

Last edited:

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
Hey guys, I want to know what do you think of my Samus. Here there are two matches against the second best Link in my country (Brazil). At the last stock of both I was very nervous, you will see that xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIywUxHv_70
:44- :45 Wow. That u-air to n-air string was amazing. So simple, but so good. finally a use for the back hit of nair.

Darkmanticorex2

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, long time Samus main, first time post. looking to improve and hoping you guys can help.

I felt like this was a sloppy game for 95% of the match for me. I couldn't really establish a stage presence vs this pikachu.

Any tips/pointers?

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
@ Darkmanticorex2 Darkmanticorex2
Missiles against pikachu aren't generally a good idea since jolt neutralizes them and UpB let's him close the gap easily.

Rolling as Samus is something you want to break from doing. Her Short Hop Air Dodge (SHAD) is amazing and let's you use quite a few moves out of it to Mix up opponents.

DThrow is her better grab option at lower percents as you can follow up with FAir or even UAir if your timing is good.

Keep in mind to if a Pikachu starts using his jolts a lot....keep The Charge Shot handy and when he goes to use jolt, fire CS to punish him!

Darkmanticorex2

Smash Rookie
I don't typically have problems with spammy pikachus. I use the charge shot more in that situation.

The problem I was having in this particular matchup was his use of agility. Which was keeping me from using my midgame.

How do you guys combat that agility usage that allows pika to get into close range? I was trying to use missiles to bock his path, but for most of this match he was using agility around my projectile wall.

I guess the question is how do you deal with a pika who's giving you no space.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I don't typically have problems with spammy pikachus. I use the charge shot more in that situation.

The problem I was having in this particular matchup was his use of agility. Which was keeping me from using my midgame.

How do you guys combat that agility usage that allows pika to get into close range? I was trying to use missiles to bock his path, but for most of this match he was using agility around my projectile wall.

I guess the question is how do you deal with a pika who's giving you no space.
I rarely ever saw you uair, it's a strangely good tool than can combat Pika in the air, including his QAC. You need to utilize pivot ftilts and dtilts more to establish a better ground neutral. Jab>dtilt will be your fastest goto once you get the opponent to high percents upclose. Mix up your landings with bombs, never land on the ground vs. Pikas, and try to utilize SHAD moreso to get yourself out of pressure better if you feel you lost the ground neutral up close. Lastly, never use any other throw but dthrow to start combos until your opponent reaches high percent.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ Tonetta Tonetta really nice montage, you have a really solid "feel" for the dash attack combo tree. I never get tired of seeing f-air, f-air -> CS kill string. Some nice dash attack tech chase, and I really liked the fade under the stage -> d-air spike on the pika going for his standard edgeguard, I'll have to use that...

@ Teshie U Teshie U You do have a good basic control of the character, it's great to see you using her in tournament. Above and beyond more combos you definitely need to get the z-air and up-B out of shield game going and not one up-B out of shield. I think I only saw you use z-air once off-stage as a gimp attempt. You're firing your charge shot off in neutral, often half charged, and it's just not working for you since your opponents are good at reading. You really want to get the CS tech chases going in my opinion, the z-air and f-tilt (shin hitbox) work circa kill percents, z-air in particular, and f-tilt is best gained from pivot f-tilt (Samus has a good pivot f-tilt). Those tech chases will help you kill more people, even to people who read well, circa 100s rather than having them live to very high percents. N-air out of shield is also quite respectable and leads to a great CS tech chase.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Ftilt always seems to betray me, I never know what exactly its going to do.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Ftilt always seems to betray me, I never know what exactly its going to do.
Standing f-tilt IS tricky. Pivot f-tilt much more reliable. The bad hitboxes are all but covered by the differing animation and character model collision.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I'd like to add to both @ Darkmanticorex2 Darkmanticorex2 and @ Teshie U Teshie U to use DSmash sparingly. I hardly use it as I feel its just crappy onall aspects. Maybe @ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster , @ Afro Smash Afro Smash @ Tonetta Tonetta or @ Xygonn Xygonn could chime in more about it. I'm not at their level so I'd like to hear more about it since they use it and I don't. Thoughts?

*edit* when I say "they use it" I meant Teshie and Dark. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'd like to add to both @ Darkmanticorex2 Darkmanticorex2 and @ Teshie U Teshie U to use DSmash sparingly. I hardly use it as I feel its just crappy onall aspects. Maybe @ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster , @ Afro Smash Afro Smash @ Tonetta Tonetta or @ Xygonn Xygonn could chime in more about it. I'm not at their level so I'd like to hear more about it since they use it and I don't. Thoughts?

*edit* when I say "they use it" I meant Teshie and Dark. Sorry for the confusion
I feel like dsmash would probably cover something like rolls in situations where you're not spaced properly for upB. That's all I can think of, though.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Hark17ball said:
to use DSmash sparingly. I hardly use it as I feel its just crappy onall aspects. Thoughts?
The knockdown tech chase out of d-smash is not fantastic, I think it's the end-lag on the move that means it's only got a specific range out of which it's actually useful. The back hit is considerably better than the front in this regard but you have to be on point at mid-high percents particularly with a reverse charge shot.
I've been working diligently on creating proper combo trees based off of visual cues because ultimately doing piles of math in the middle of a fight is just not happening. It's simply easier to know "I landed X now Y and Z are available".
So for example when you land up-tilt -> d-tilt true combo where the target is visibly locked into hitstun, you can land d-air -> d-tilt OR d-air -> d-smash true combo. That is the natural flow of the combo tree, one combo causing sufficient damage to overalap the window of the next combo. In this instance, I actually favour the d-smash, specifically because it gives me a more advantageous situation than d-tilt, d-tilt not having any true combo out of it, a tech chase opportunity puts at significantly better advantage. Also if the d-air is landing crossing up or right on top of them, the d-smash is better option since d-tilt will likely miss. (d-smash will not true combo on back hit, but if they end up behind you you have a chance of stringing it).

You're actually quite good @ Hark17ball Hark17ball incidentally, don't short change yourself, I didn't comment on your earlier vids because I can't possibly comment on everything, you're fond of gambling for the big hits rather than the guarantees like up-air (soft) -> up-tilt as am I.

Last edited:

Darkmanticorex2

Smash Rookie
If you land a dair on almost any character at low to mid percents it combos into upsmash for some solid mixups.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
If you land a dair on almost any character at low to mid percents it combos into upsmash for some solid mixups.
Yep, check out the combo thread, it is a giant list with a sweetspot table.
The state-of-the art is not yet out, i but it will be in a few weeks. Essentially linking combos. So for instance if you can land d-air -> d-tilt then you're guaranteed d-air -> upsmash.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Thanks for the input guys. @ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster ill deff have to try adding the DSmash strings to my arsenal. Also when I saw your video of the Uair>Utilt my jaw dropped and I was like...."this is now my favorite thing" and it STILL is haha.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Those were some fun matches! I'd venture to say you're the better Samus between the two of us, but I demand a rematch! lol Seriously, I think the lag was seriously impairing both of our abilities to play, or at least it was for me. We couldn't properly show our moves all the time.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Those were some fun matches! I'd venture to say you're the better Samus between the two of us, but I demand a rematch! lol Seriously, I think the lag was seriously impairing both of our abilities to play, or at least it was for me. We couldn't properly show our moves all the time.
How do you guys play the ditto? I love Samus, but I have a hard time playing the ditto simply because my ground neutral and reaction time to charge shot isn't on point alot of the time.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Nah, I'm just ballsier when going for things like spikes. Years of sticking to the side of the screen tell me that playing from afar pisses off people more effectively.

Speaking of spikes:

I was laughing like mad.

Top Bottom