• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Interesting, I tripped Rob with a B-air to the knees several times at 0% during my testing for the combo list. I think ChozoX may be right - and the distinction is that the character must remain grounded from the impact. Because jab doesn't lift you, that may be the reason we see it trip more often than anything else.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
050 - Jab1
#0xaf37e1fa
def game_50():
AsynchronousTimer_0D0(Frame=3.000000, )
Hitbox_026(ID=0x0, GID=0x0, Bone=0x0, Damage=3.000000, Angle=0x169, KBG=0x50, WKB=0x0, BKB=0x8, Size=4.000000, Z=0.000000, Y=12.000000, X=12.200000, Element=0x0, Tripping=0x0, Hitlag=1.000000, SDI=1.000000, unk_=0x1, unk_=0x1, ShieldDamage=0x0, 0x0, 0x1, 0x3, 0x1, 0x4, )
Hitbox_026(ID=0x1, GID=0x0, Bone=0x0, Damage=3.000000, Angle=0x169, KBG=0x64, WKB=0x0, BKB=0x8, Size=4.000000, Z=0.000000, Y=12.000000, X=6.200000, Element=0x0, Tripping=0x0, Hitlag=1.000000, SDI=1.000000, unk_=0x1, unk_=0x1, ShieldDamage=0x0, 0x0, 0x1, 0x3, 0x1, 0x4, )
Hitbox_026(ID=0x2, GID=0x0, Bone=0x0, Damage=3.000000, Angle=0x169, KBG=0x64, WKB=0x0, BKB=0x8, Size=3.000000, Z=0.000000, Y=12.000000, X=0.200000, Element=0x0, Tripping=0x0, Hitlag=1.000000, SDI=1.000000, unk_=0x1, unk_=0x1, ShieldDamage=0x0, 0x0, 0x1, 0x3, 0x1, 0x4, )
SynchronousTimer_20B(Frame=2.000000, )
RemoveAllHitboxes_014()
AsynchronousTimer_0D0(Frame=12.000000, )
unk_170(0xD, 0x2100, )
End_196()

Agreed that dsmash has a trip probability though.

ChoZoX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChoZoX
I made a quick video to put this case to rest:

Also, I'm not experienced with this game's programming, but I know for a fact that "Tripping=0x0" does not mean the move has a zero probability for tripping as you can see in the video.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I made a quick video to put this case to rest: snip

Also, I'm not experienced with this game's programming, but I know for a fact that "Tripping=0x0" does not mean the move has a zero probability for tripping as you can see in the video.
I agree the probability of tripping isn't 0 for these moves. But I guess my question is if this is totally random with a fixed probability at all percents on all surfaces against all characters or is there some generic function that calculates a trip probability each time it lands and if so what goes into it.

Dtilt has
Tripping=0x3ECCCCCD

dsmash has
Tripping=0x3E99999A

Wario's guarunteed trip has
Tripping=0x3F800000

Most moves have 0x0

ChoZoX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChoZoX
Since this is mostly a modified Brawl engine, I assume it works the same; a generic trip probability. Surfaces could be a factor. It seems most moves are on this default value. 0x0 could simply mean nothing is added or subtracted from the default value.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Sakurai couldn't completely let go of random tripping, but he put it on hit instead of on dash. I guess that's nice of him.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Don't worry about trying. If it happens, take advantage of it if you can. If not, oh well.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Samus loses, but GCfox made some aggressive plays. Almost got it back with some edgeguarding. Unfortunately he lost a stock by not bombing back toward stage at 4:40.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Or tethering. The moment I saw him use Screw Attack, I knew he was screwed. He could have recovered a bit lower, used wall jump, bomb jump, or tethered. I think he might have panicked about Marth's Dair and tippers.

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Had some guy from Reddit upload 2 of my replays on YouTube for me, and thought I'd share the video here.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I love scoring a 0->Death on FG that leads to the opponent losing the will to live and SDing the next life (like you did vs. link).

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529

Had a lot of fun games vs a great Mario on FG, he played different to most Mario's ive faced, less fireballs and short hop approaches and more dash shield approaches to capitalise on my laggier moves. He also finally made me respect Marios combo game, it was super difficult to escape sometimes without a ledge, but maybe thats because im addicted to airdodging :[

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn

Had a lot of fun games vs a great Mario on FG, he played different to most Mario's ive faced, less fireballs and short hop approaches and more dash shield approaches to capitalise on my laggier moves. He also finally made me respect Marios combo game, it was super difficult to escape sometimes without a ledge, but maybe thats because im addicted to airdodging :[
I love your bomb edgeguard game. Very very nice at 2:12 and the gimp at 15:34 is magical. Wall hop reversed CS at 18:09 :)

I hate to keep making the comment again and again but it seems like everyone in this thread need to go to pummel class. It freshens up all your moves. At higher percents especially, it can be better to just pummel until they release just to fill your stale move queue with pummels since there is no really good kill follow up. Arguably, if you haven't used it yet in the match pummel release to CS isn't half bad as a mixup.

ChoZoX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChoZoX
Originally I thought that too, but it seems they fixed it from Brawl. Pummels can only refresh your moves once per grab

ChoZoX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChoZoX
I don't think there is. Just something I tested back in the 3ds version. I would stale charge shot once and then do 10+ pummels in one grab but my charge shot would still give 23 %.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Yeah pummeling is something I always forget to do, I dont do it purposefully at low percents because I dont want to lose combo potential prematurely, but at higher percents I definitely need to remember to do it

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Yeah pummeling is something I always forget to do, I dont do it purposefully at low percents because I dont want to lose combo potential prematurely, but at higher percents I definitely need to remember to do it
Samus' pummel is so fast you can always get one in before you throw even vs. a lvl 9 cpu at 0%. If you get in the habbit of doing just the one, it's easy to add extra pummels based on opponent percent.

Last edited:

Gravekeeper

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gravekeeper
Hey guys, decided to dust off my account here after a bit of inactivity and lurking because, well, there's still like three people in the world that use Samus, and we are starved for any sort of human contact with other like-minded individuals. I decided to put my capture card to use and record a few For Glory matches I had last week. I'm not particularly disciplined, but damn if I don't find Samus fun as hell to use.

Enjoy!

Highgarden

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the length of these, I'll have to get to editing future ones later.

Samus Vs Misc

Samus Vs Ike part 1

Samus Vs Ike part 2

Last edited:

GameBird

Smash Cadet
NNID
GameBird
3DS FC
1461-6201-4828
Hey All,
I apologize in advance for the terrible quality lol, had to film guerrilla style.

I don't claim to be a great smasher, but these are two videos of me in for glory (with lag that doesn't show up in the replay). I won even though I made some bad choices; the Luigi was really good, lost to him a couple times, but the shulk guy was not so great(though it felt good to beat him lol). I was just hoping to get some feedback on my play style, and prove myself as not one of those really spammy Samus players. In fact I can be a bit too reckless and just run in like crazy haha

Thanks, I hope to get some feedback on what I can improve!

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Id say you definitely need to start charging your charge Shot more, theres never a moment when its not beneficial to have it to play mind games or land kills

Your shield break punish at high percents should always be a fully charged tippered forward smash, and at low percents its best to do an up tilt combo in to up airs or up smash

Your use of screw attack was a bit reckless, and a better player will find big ways to punish you for missing, so id hold back on that unless youre very confident it will hit

Your go to options out of dash attack and down throw should be Uair or Fair as these lead to the most percent generally, id also work on your timing for these in training mode, though i understand if lag affected things

GameBird

Smash Cadet
NNID
GameBird
3DS FC
1461-6201-4828
Id say you definitely need to start charging your charge Shot more, theres never a moment when its not beneficial to have it to play mind games or land kills

Your shield break punish at high percents should always be a fully charged tippered forward smash, and at low percents its best to do an up tilt combo in to up airs or up smash

Your use of screw attack was a bit reckless, and a better player will find big ways to punish you for missing, so id hold back on that unless youre very confident it will hit

Your go to options out of dash attack and down throw should be Uair or Fair as these lead to the most percent generally, id also work on your timing for these in training mode, though i understand if lag affected things
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah especially in the Shulk match, the lag made it really frustrating at times. there was a distinct input lag of every button press. Not defending my bad habits though lol.

Yeah I felt really stupid for missing the forward smash on the shield break. That is one of my weaknesses; judging certain ranges. Even though I've been playing smash bros games since 1999 I've often been a bit too far away when I have a good opportunity. I also get flustered and do stupid things lol.

I'll for sure practice more in Training! I sadly don't have many friends to play smash 4 with (who are tolerable to play with) so it's usually either CPU or For Glory matches for me, the former can induce bad habits and the latter can just be a minefield of pikachu and sonic spammers that you can't grow from. What would be a good CPU level to train against, as I've heard a 9 is actually not that good since they airdodge a lot? Or is a level 50 amiibo best?

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I've never faced an amiibo so I cant comment there, though I imagine they would be good. Lvl 7 cpu i find is best, you should win the vast majority of the time however theyre not helpless and they dont make frame perfect moves like the level 9s.

Also you can check out http://www.smashladder.com/netplay for friendlies or ranked matches, be warned the skill level is usually quite high but playing people better than you is usually one of the best ways to improve.

What i generally do when im trying to learn or improve something is practice it in training mode til i can do it reliably, then go in to for glory matches and focus on always trying to do the technique ive practiced, after a while you start doing it without having to think about it which is obviously useful in a fast paced game like smash

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
To add to Afro Smash: you used the attack getup option twice when there was no reason to. Only use that option if it is a good punish to something the opponent has committed to. It's easy to punish, has a short range, and is overall just not a great option for samus. Ledge release (push the stick away from the ledge) -> jump -> fair/zair/uair/CS are all better options for offensive getups (and you used zair a few times pretty well).

As your tether retracts during recovery, push shield. There is no penalty for doing so and not teching plus the tech window is big enough this will prevent a stage spike. Because stage spikes are a big thing in Smash 4 (more so than previous incarnations) this is a great thing to keep in mind.

Bomb is a good mix up for returning to stage, but I'd say you use it too often. Don't be afraid to use a vanilla FF + Air dodge to get back to the ground. Also, dair can be a good offensive pressure option when returning to the stage.

Be aware of your bombs. At 1:08 vs shulk you got punished for going into morph ball on accident.

When you land Dash attack or dthrow to uair at low percents, the next uair is free, use that instead of screw attack. I'm not sure about luigi, but dash attack->uair->uair->upb is a combo against much of the cast for about 40% if you land it starting at 0%.

Also, pummel when you land a grab at least once (advice I give everyone!).

Last edited:

GameBird

Smash Cadet
NNID
GameBird
3DS FC
1461-6201-4828
That is really helpful feedback, thank you! I will certainly try training with LV 7 cpus more.

yeah I have been trying to find better techniques for getting up off the ledge and using z air has been pretty reliable and unexpected so far. I Didn't know pressing shield right away helps, I was falling prey to his stage spike haha. And yeah I use bombs a bit much, but I'm not sure what else to do when falling back to the stage...

I have also tried using grabs more, because up until recently I almost never used them (maining Samus in Brawl meant grabs were not wise lol) so I would always pause for like a full second while I realized that "oh, I actually managed to grab them!" I've only recently been able to make better use of my grabs so I will now try to incorporate pummels into it more too!

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah especially in the Shulk match, the lag made it really frustrating at times. there was a distinct input lag of every button press. Not defending my bad habits though lol.

Yeah I felt really stupid for missing the forward smash on the shield break. That is one of my weaknesses; judging certain ranges. Even though I've been playing smash bros games since 1999 I've often been a bit too far away when I have a good opportunity. I also get flustered and do stupid things lol.

I'll for sure practice more in Training! I sadly don't have many friends to play smash 4 with (who are tolerable to play with) so it's usually either CPU or For Glory matches for me, the former can induce bad habits and the latter can just be a minefield of pikachu and sonic spammers that you can't grow from. What would be a good CPU level to train against, as I've heard a 9 is actually not that good since they airdodge a lot? Or is a level 50 amiibo best?

First, you should play FG as much as possible. When you get a terrible player, and deduce this in the first 5 seconds, set a goal for yourself: "I'm going to 2 stock him" or "I'm going to spike him" or "I'm not going to use projectiles." Sometimes you get someone so bad that you can go for "I'm going to go for perfect 0%"

Doing this lets you train specific aspects of Samus, which you can then bring together when you are fighting someone at your level. There's really no point in fighting the CPU once you can beat level 9 pretty consistently.

Now, when you lose, and lose hard, those are the players you want to friend. Make some name tags and ask them or whatever. Once you get a pool of friends on your list then you can start coordinating when to play, or just open a room up during a popular time. But really, finding people here, on twitch, etc, is the best way to get better. Play in online tournaments.

As far as your videos, you will be destroyed by anyone who has even a hint of how to defend or string combos. You take way too much damage from high risk moves, and are predictable and do a lot of stuff that is punishable. You want to go HAM offense when its time to, not just for the sake of being offensive. Especially with Samus, who is a LT character, you will have to compensate by playing smart and getting reads. You can't do this at 100 mph dashing in, screw attacking, and throwing charge shot when something twitches.

I would suggest trying some FG with the goal of not taking any damage. I'll add you to friends. We should play some if you want. Mine is SupSupSup (idk why i haven't put it in yet)

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Samus 2 stocking always makes me happy :) definitely one of the more aggressive and not as grab spammy diddys I've come across. This video has a good demonstration of how immune to dids hoo hah Sam is.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Why would this be?
From the tether recovery, I guess it's about the same. Overall though, I feel the one time invincibility plus ledge trump makes them more frequent.
Samus 2 stocking always makes me happy :) definitely one of the more aggressive and not as grab spammy diddys I've come across. This video has a good demonstration of how immune to dids hoo hah Sam is.
Total lack of fair spacing, but you hit the nut of the matter on this matchup. Samus is basically immune to hoo hah (maybe only guarunteed at 0%). I've said this a bunch, but it's nice to see someone else noticing.

Last edited:

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
Very solid performance. I couldn't note anything particular, other than the few obvious mistakes/poor calls. Either you were reading him well, or he was too aggressive, because he ate way too many projectiles. I suspect if he adapted second round you would need to be more chargy with your arm cannon.

I see he read some of your rolls, but Samus roll is so long that imo it kind of makes up for it being slow. He may have adjusted, but may not be able to get the grab and would punish with something less awful than a grab.

Last edited:

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
This is not me in vid
Some very good Samusing that I've seen in a while at a Tourny (except a few careless mistakes), especially vs a ZSS (though he doesn't appear that spectacular of one, or didn't know the MU).

I'm thinking we all need to branch out some and find international videos; there are so few USA SSB4 Samus, and even fewer videos of high-performing Samus.

Last edited:
Top Bottom