• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Discussion

TANK64

Smash Lord
Wow, way to KILL THE MOOD Ricky. Sarcasm really is your enemy.

Anyways, back on topic: Samus CAN'T combo.

FACT.

wiztick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xhudayoloswagx
she can bleh combo
i don't really know any good combos with samus that are not really basic ones
so she can and can't

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah and on like Falcon when they reach like 120% IIRC you full hop nair them to the left and you go left where Fox/Pika like to finish their combos and land with a bair and kill them or even uair land bair if you're feeling saucy wow I am in a run-on mood

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Even if the other player tries to DI into her moves it's still not possible to 0%-death properly :colorful:

The wonders of Samus.
Rofl couldn't resist.
Love this video.

On another note, Samus does have a "0-to-death"

Samus's up b on Jigglypuff's shield while Jigglypuff is on top of a platform at 0 percent. Jigglypuff dies at 0.

Wut.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Samus has plenty of 0-deaths even if they're situational, it blows my mind that ant-d was a TASer and said stuff like that

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
what's the deal with the upb? what affects the initial speed and height/ascension?

ie, on btt, about half of the time i'll walk or dash to the first one and hit upb and ascend really quickly to the platform and hit the other, and sometimes it dies out. i've noticed this in matches as well.

anyone got a clue?

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I am trying to pick up Samus as my tertiary, and I am wondering whether you guys think Dreamland or Hyrule is a better map for her?

A second question is do you guys have any uses for up-tilt? I am having a hard time finding a use for it.

Upsmash is also a move that I am having a hard time finding a use for if I could get some pointers with that.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Depends entirely on the matchup for stage. Against fox, dreamland all day. Some other characters it would probably be hyrule.

Both moves are pretty useless. Utilt maybe for edgeguarding situations or possibly keeping a combo going in the tent a la falcon's f/u tilts, but otherwise no good. Usmash could be a could combo starter maybe, so if you just broke a shield it could be useful. Oh yea, and you can break shields with usmash... if you can land all the hits. More useful than utilt I'd say, but still not one of her better moves.

Pro tip: Dk cannot get underneath samuses grab while recovering. Seriously, even if he looks low enough, just grab and you'll catch him. His only hope is to go high, then you just have to aerial.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Nobody really does this but dair -> usmash -> other stuff may have some potential. Maybe you can look into it and be INNOVATIVE.

If you bair someone's shield up against a wall you can try to USmash and it will catch a lot of people with shieldbreaks (nobody really does this either)

Samus's utilt just straight up blows though, don't use it

clubba I'm glad you remember my tips :cool:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
it's probably just me, but i feel like i can't do anything on dreamland against most characters. fox and falcon are just too fast and i can't escape, they can be everywhere at once, and approaching a campy fox is just painful. i really prefer hyrule and congo cuz i have room to breathe.
i struck dreamland for each game i played at apex.

also, my application for usmash lately has been a sticking it in the middle of a tech chase at low percents. when they bounce about shoulder length, you can land an easy two hits, and the stun is enough for a bair or nair.

kirby sometimes presents a problem with the utilt spamming, and i'm wondering if the best approach is a bair or a charge shot, or a forward facing dair. MUST RUN TESTS

Battlecow

Play to Win
samus is better on DL IMO

she has a hard time approaching and she gets camped out mad hard on hyrule

might be because I'm **** with samus but whenever I try hyrule against a dec fox they run rings around me

samus is like pretty hard to gimp so she does OK on DL, plus her platform game is pretty good (with like dairs and stuff)

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I should've mentioned that you should never fight fox with samus. Is no good anywhere

And SK its the only tip I remember! But it is by far the most satisfying edgeguard in my arsenal. Online DK's just fastfall and kill themselves rather than try to recover after you do it a few times lol

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
the only thing to do against fox is be extremely patient. and i lack patience in that matchup.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
When I play Fox on Dreamland as Samus, I like to plank the ledge a good amount. Good idea/bad idea?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Fantastic idea. Smart foxes would just run to the other side of the stage and continuously shdl though, and then I believe you would be considered stalling (in a tournament) as you are refusing to get onto the stage. But yea if they actually come after you its like the only way to 100% avoid lasers. Certainly not a bad idea.

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
It's a good idea, but you could make yourself trapped if you cannot get off. Shdl is a nice lockdown, as I've done it myself, and you have a few options here.

You can ledgedrop > jump > cannon shot > ledgehog looking to disrupt the Fox player's flow for a second. Pea shot will not cancel with lasers and go right through; remember that always. Actually, get used to it - that shot goes through a lot of stuff, even another shot. Samus dittos ftw.

You can also go for a quick ledgedrop > jump > upB onto the platform. You should recover well enough if they are full stage away, but you could get trapped in shield by quick uairs, so you should probably aim for ledgecancel. It's not the easiest move to cancel, but not the hardest.

If you get on platform and have the time, you can drop a bomb to prevent uairs.

In either scenario, mistiming will obviously cause some damage. You can always let them back off and then climb up into shield, but that depends on how the Fox plays for the most part. I like putting people into shield and keeping laser pressure as I approach. Just simple vertical shdl into a slight directional descent allows me to get close enough for poking ftilts and the like.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I don't think it's a good idea lol. Samus planking is not safe at all if your opponent knows what he's doing. It might be a good idea against poorer players though (but even then they can just hang back and you won't be gaining anything).

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's a good idea lol. Samus planking is not safe at all if your opponent knows what he's doing. It might be a good idea against poorer players though (but even then they can just hang back and you won't be gaining anything).
Yeah, I wouldn't recommended it overall, but I would assume it's more like a minor victory for a while. You get some invincibility frames and get a second to adjust; it's not the worst spot you could be in.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
this isn't brawl, planking is not an indomitable position

you shouldn't be looking for 'minor victories' or 'not the worst spot', although i guess it's a decent thing to take up time if you've just been shocked or lost your nerve in a match

Top Bottom