• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Basics

Eidolon

Smash Apprentice
Jasona said:
--- Missle Facts --- in descending order by number of frames
SHFFMC
normal jump, FFMC
stationary smash missle
SHMC
stationary homing missle
normal jump MC
Forgive this foolish question, but help a n00b out: if i understand this correctly, then the SHFFMC takes the longest amount of time to perform--longer than a normal smash missle. Okay, I can get that; Samus' SH is not too amazing. But then are you saying that a normal jump MC is faster than a normal jump FFMC? That makes no sense, because wouldn't the FF speed up the attack and thus decrease the number of frames?

Perhaps I'm crazy, but if someone could just clarify that the SHFFMC is the slowest attack and the normal jump MC is the fastest on that list, that would be great.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
you are right, that list is for speed of continuously firing missles. like 1 after another.

and are you absolutely sure about that list cause i coulda sworn standing missles was faster than fulljump ff missles.
as i recall shffmc is only like 5 frames faster (if done perfect) than standing missles

Jasona

Smash Ace
That list was my best guess a long time ago and now that I think about it, I know that it isn't correct because I never considered how much time the missle added onto each missle-cancel.
Originally, the list was based solely off of jump and FF times. SHFF = 38, full jump FF = 49, but in reality, SHFFMC > 50 and full jump FFMC > 60 (all guess work).
The list should be closer to this:
standard smash missle - 49
60 > SHFFMC > 50
standard homing - 59 / full jump FFMC - ? / SHMC - ?
full jump MC

maybe I should take the list out until the frame length ranges of each MC technique are known. My guess work is very misleading.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
(unless i totally misunderstand you) you're wrong about shffmc being that slow, i distinctly remember when it was in testing phase sdm tried it out and found it to be slightly faster than standing smash.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
I have a question, as I don't want tosearch for it through this whole forum. (it maybe already heve been explained or something)

Why is it that if you let yourself fall through a platform (example Battlefield) that if you directly lay a bomb after you fell you stay on that platform and stay in the morphball for a "Long" time. Could this maybe in somekind of combo or is it something stupid to do?

Wuss

Smash Champion
Z-N_Freak said:
I have a question, as I don't want tosearch for it through this whole forum. (it maybe already heve been explained or something)

Why is it that if you let yourself fall through a platform (example Battlefield) that if you directly lay a bomb after you fell you stay on that platform and stay in the morphball for a "Long" time. Could this maybe in somekind of combo or is it something stupid to do?
Why? Because the down b makes you go up ever so slightly, and then you ave to stay in the morph ball mode for how long you would have normally.

Eidolon

Smash Apprentice
Jasona said:
That list was my best guess a long time ago and now that I think about it, I know that it isn't correct because I never considered how much time the missle added onto each missle-cancel.
Originally, the list was based solely off of jump and FF times. SHFF = 38, full jump FF = 49, but in reality, SHFFMC > 50 and full jump FFMC > 60 (all guess work).
The list should be closer to this:
standard smash missle - 49
60 > SHFFMC > 50
standard homing - 59 / full jump FFMC - ? / SHMC - ?
full jump MC
So if I want to spam missles I should simply stand and fire smash missles? Because that will unload the greatest amt of missles in the shortest time, right?

Jasona and Cra$hman - thanks for the replies before

supernova63

Smash Journeyman
im confused; theres so many people saying so many things about double missle and i cant make sense out of it...
anyway i was wondering if you could clear a few things up for me
does the missle auctually come out of the missle cancel? i know you start the animation and i know the landing cancels lag but does the misssle auctually come out?

Eidolon

Smash Apprentice
yeah it does try firing the missle earlier before you land... i had the same problem too when first learning it: if you launch the missle too late (when you are too close to the ground while falling), you just get the beginning of the missle-firing animation, since the landing animation cancels out anything else (which is what makes the missle cancel possible in the first place i guess--it cancels the lag)

ESAM

Smash Ace
SEFL representing samus in the sunshine state
Double missling is not when you missle, reduce landing lag and then shoot another missle. Double missling is jumping and immediately shoot a missle then shoot another one before you hit the ground. Triple missling is when you jump and missle immediately. Then you double jump and then shoot a missle. Then before you land shoot a 3rd missle. The best way to spam missles is to double missle and repetitively and sometimes shoot an extra one after the missle cancel

Jasona

Smash Ace
the confusion over double-missling and DMJing has been around long before I tried to give them names and, until now, i've always delayed comprimising because I thought that it was just a noob problem caused by their lack of interest in reading the stickied threads. I've considered taking double-missling out of the basics but I still think the concept comes up too frequently to refer to it by its description. Therefore, I've decided to rename it missle-cancel missle (MCM) and let the noobs use double missling for the DMJ

EDIT -> I think I'll rewrite the first post sometime soon, the wording seems really confusing

grayfox

Smash Champion
Jasona said:
Therefore, I've decided to rename it missle-cancel missle (MCM) and let the noobs use double missling for the DMJ

EDIT -> I think I'll rewrite the first post sometime soon, the wording seems really confusing
>_> Man ALLL these terms are confusing. I'm no Samus noob but i dont have a clue what dmj is. MCM? O_o all these fancy situational moves should really be shoved into one thread and left there i reckon. Too much emphasis is put on them and that has always been the case. Noobs come into these threads to learn about missile canceling and wavedashing and then they go and try to master swd and mcm and dmj or whatever.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
as someone who doesnt know anything about Samus. this didnt help me at all :-/

The explainations are far too vague and short. Bomb recovery and Super wavedash cant be explained in a single sentance. Same with basically all of these explainations.

Jasona

Smash Ace
Good point. I should update this thing. FFDMJ -> bah hah ha ha ha... that is so sad:(
extended grapple - link to sticked thread
SWD - link to stickied thread

a missles section including the double missle (name?), DMJ, SHFFMC, platform whatever'ing
a grapple section including the extended grapple, grapple jump (name?), beam canceling
a bomb section including wavebombing, the bomb recovery, pof

possible entries
starting the up+b from the air needs to be distinguished from starting from the ground, due to the difference in earliest FF times and knockback... (name?) A-up+b, G-up+b - Ascrew, Gscrew - screwA, screwG

I'll change the first post later

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
as someone who doesnt know anything about Samus. this didnt help me at all :-/

The explainations are far too vague and short. Bomb recovery and Super wavedash cant be explained in a single sentance. Same with basically all of these explainations.
that's true. Samus has complicated capabilities.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Maybe this thread since Aftermath's thread seems to cover a lot of the same points and a little extra, but the threads thread is a good one.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
You should elaborate more, explain how to do the moves in finer detail and show a few uses if necessary. I was expecting a better read.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
I'm actually redoing the entire thing to cover a wider spectrum of things and be far more detailed. It should be finished by the end of the month, so I'm not sure if you'd want to keep working on this actually.

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
Why is this stickied if there's almost no information in it?

I was interested in learning about Samus. I hope you finish this.

Top Bottom