• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
nomis said:

Oh yeah, seems like 25 characters.. yes...

Wait - wait - wait - uh oh - something's coming. W-what's this?

I

I

I feel it!

It's...!!!!!

C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
LMFAO! killer instinct... oh boy. ;p

antpod

Smash Cadet
he updated again, here is his comment

まっとうでないこともあるかもしれない……。
でも、キャラ立ちについては大事にしているつもりです。
ただ有名なキャラクター出しました! というだけでは、
なんか画面の中でイキイキしてこないもので。

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
nomis said:
C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
HUMILIATION

This is probably bull****, but I saw this on another forum, maybe they saw it on this forum.

"Masahiro Sakurai has confirmed the following names to appear in Nintendo's upcoming Super Smash Bros. Brawl via interview with Tokyo's popular "The Gaming Exchange" radio show:

New Faces:
KOOPA KID
RIDLEY
WIND WAKER LINK

Removed Faces:
ICE CLIMBERS
MR. GAME & WATCH
YOUNG LINK

Sakurai also confirmed that the existing "clones" from SSBM will be reworked as entirely seperate characters. One should also note that Young Link isn't being replaced entirely, rather simply replaced with the cel-shaded Link from Wind Waker. His name on the selection screen will still read "Young Link". Sakurai stated Game & Watch and the Ice Climbers will be removed due to the lack of general fan interest and that he decided to include Kid Icarus' Pit as a replacement to the Ice Climbers for those old school fans. He mentioned Pit will likely be the only classic character included. Also of importance is the fact that, according to Sakurai, the roster will be "between 30 and 40", leaving room for about 15 newcomers or so. In addition, there will be only be "one or two" 3rd party characters."

Yeah... they didn't know about the whole 1 or 2 third party thing, in fact, I think only this forum does... I'm not sure either way, it may have been posted here already.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
baron, oh i hope that's not true. =( don't take away my IC. =(

can i get a link to that forum? thanks.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
. . .well, with this whole "easier" and "slower" thing that Sakurai has going on, it seems like competitive Smash as we know it going to change drastically. Maybe for the worse.

Ugh. If Smash becomes a game that isn't suited for competitive gaming, then I'll have to turn to Guilty Gear. . .meh. I'm praying that Panda got the translation just *slightly* incorrect. I like my fighting games fast, intuitive, and technical, thank you.

the Marronator

Smash Ace
Voodoo Daddy said:
Why does this game seem like it's getting worse and worse?

EDIT: I get the feeling that black man was Neo.
It is not just you. All I am asking now is that I hope this game will still be playable at a competitive level. And ROFL if Neo did say that.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Baron_54 said:
This is probably bull****, but I saw this on another forum, maybe they saw it on this forum.
Fake.

Keep in mind, anyone can post on a forum, and there's not a truth disclosure in the Agreement. People can post whatever they want, so they tend to do just that.

That's why we close and destroy all crap information.

Keep in mind, they tried to make Melee fairly easy too. The secret abilities (Wavedashing, Shine canceling, etc.) were discovered later, and used in ways Sakurai and co. had no idea they even could be used. Even if they tone down some of the advanced techniques, we're still going to find a way to play competitively.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Yeah, Im going to have to go with McFox on that post. I think it was just a fake post.
I still don't think he meant "slower" with that comment he made... Maybe it means that characters will be better blanced in speed...less of a gap from the slowest to fastest...IDK I just don't think it means slower.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
Gosh I hope it's fake I like the Ice Climbers. Though I also don't hate the idea of Pit being the only "classic" despite this... the IC were fun to be in SSBM and they have an move set unlike any others. And if someone wants to tell me they'd be replaced by the Hammer Bros. or Plusie and Minune (sp?) then I'm gonna start cracking skulls.

Koopa Kid? Bowser Jr. better not be in this game.

Wind Waker Link would stick out horribly. Just give Young Link the masks if they want to change him up.

Ridley is one I fully expect though.

Soodey

Smash Apprentice
Hyper Luigi said:
Wind Waker Link would stick out horribly
I disagree, the reason why smash brothers works is that characters from totally different game worlds come together, MR. g and w was cel shaded, as was his level. When kirby swalled him, he turned cell shaded. This looked very cool and i hope they not only replace young link with cel shaded link but also have 1 level based in the universe of windwaker. A good cel shaded level would be very cool in my oppinion.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Kirby became cel-shaded when he swallowed G&W, though, which still kinda supports the "cel-shaded can coexist" idea. WW Link WOULD stick out, but eh. It would be a really cool gimmick.

Lance87

Smash Lord
Memphis/Millington --- Runaway 7 till I die.
FlipTroopa said:
Kirby became cel-shaded when he swallowed G&W, though, which still kinda supports the "cel-shaded can coexist" idea. WW Link WOULD stick out, but eh. It would be a really cool gimmick.
um, when he swallows him, he becomes 2D like g&w, not cel shaded. I agree that ww link would stick out but not in a bad way or anymore than g&w does.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Cel Shaded is 2D, guys. It's a term used to describe the cartoony look where illusions of 3D are created with simple shadow effects. But because Game and Watch is solid black, it's impossible to tell whether he's a cell with shading or just a 2D sprite.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Resting_Fox said:
Cel Shaded is 2D, guys. It's a term used to describe the cartoony look where illusions of 3D are created with simple shadow effects. But because Game and Watch is solid black, it's impossible to tell whether he's a cell with shading or just a 2D sprite.
Thanks for replying for me, dude :laugh:

Game and Watch DOES have some depth to him; when he turns invisible or goes metal he looks like he has some weight. Very funky.

antpod

Smash Cadet
Wind Waker link in Brawl would be a dream come true.
And for those saying he would stick out.... wtf?

The whole point of the Smash series is to take such different characters from Nintendo series and have em in one game.

And saying cell shading can't coexist with anything besides cell shading is the dumbest crap statement. It doesn't make sence and just shows how much you don't know on the topic.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
****. I was gonna do a fast translation before bed, but Sakurai decided to do 3 updates at the same time >_<

I'll read them REALLY fast and see if I can come up with anything. I need my beauty sleep.

Update 1: Just saying that there is ALOT of time before the game is done, and the staff will work their hardest. I think he also says that while he has a fever (could just be an expression) he will try his best to provide updates.

Update 2: Basically saying in response to the email "Asking only for popular characters to appear in Smash...[no time to translate this]...doesn't get me excited"

Update 3: "The game isn't even finished and you already want to know the ending?" Another response where Sakurai is just being funny and playing around.

You KNOW life has to suck when you study for 12 hours and don't feel prepared.

antpod

Smash Cadet
SamuraiPanda said:
****. I was gonna do a fast translation before bed, but Sakurai decided to do 3 updates at the same time >_<

I'll read them REALLY fast and see if I can come up with anything. I need my beauty sleep.
thank you!!! :chuckle:

Cojiro

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, this is probably the last spate of translations for a while, so beauty sleep will be in abundance. Thanks again though! :)

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
SamuraiPanda - I hate you but my God do I respect you...

(yes derived from Anchorman, so why not another ripped off movie quote for a close?)

You are our only hope...at ever knowing what is going on with our beloved game
so thanks and keep it up yo

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
SamuraiPanda said:
You KNOW life has to suck when you study for 12 hours and don't feel prepared.
I know exactly how you feel. Thanks for spending your procrastination time here. :p

Nothing to groundbreaking in this update, but that's to be expected.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
Yes but remember all of the characters are done in generally the same style. And especially from what we've seen already the characters have more detailed looks. At least some do. I suppose he wouldn't stick out any more than Kirby does in any given screen shot as he has very few details overall but man I really think it'd look messed up. Not that it couldn't work but honestly the thought churns my stomach.

odinm4gick

Smash Apprentice
McFox said:
Even if they tone down some of the advanced techniques, we're still going to find a way to play competitively.

On one hand, that makes me feel proud to be a gamer as we are imaginative, thurough, and persistent. But on the other hand, that makes me sad as we tend to try to find every single glitch the game has to offer. :chuckle: :mad: :confused:

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
yeah, they ought to do it on these forums, I compared to here there are barely any and few who are as nice as the people on here on the european nintendo site

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
I really don't think its worth their time to do an English poll. They no doubt had tens or hundreds of thousands of suggestions to sift through, and letting Americans and English-speaking PAL territories talk would only quadruple that amount and present a language barrier. They announced 3 of the most desired characters without taking suggestions, and I'm confident that they'll do whats best for the game without taking more suggestions. We should be appriciative that they took Japanese suggestions, as I'm sure they voiced many of the same concerns we have. Plus, now they can get back to full-time work on the game.

antpod

Smash Cadet
Wow, sorry Panda but thats all some horrible crap.. The majority of it is just plain ridiculous.

1st off- Miyamoto stated that he is only heading two projects, Super mario Galaxy and Zelda TP

2nd -the reasons for not showing all info at E3 are plain crap

3rd- AO games!!!!!!! LOL!!!(And just so you know ratings of a game are always unknown until the last step in a game development, when it goes ESRB board for a rating. This is the LAST thing that would be known about a game.)

4th- "Another being a followup Wii title to the critically-acclaimed Kid Icarus. Will be rated M." LOL!!!!!! For those who have played Kid Icarus and know what its about laugh it up. (also Miyamoto only makes games that everyone can easily play, he is against making M rated games since it blocks out a majority of the market)

5th- "Space World 2006 will last 120 min" LOL. Space World is a public convention! It usualy lasts 3 days, its not just a conference!

6th- Nintendo does not do twwo seperate skus and they have stated in an official announcment that Wii will not exeed $250.

7th- Nintendo is not supporting ANY type of HD format as we already seen and know what the new format is as seen in the official specs. And it is too late to switch media formats since they would need a new drive in their system which wold bump up costs and their system would most likely exeed the offical announcment previously mentioned.

8th- Hideo Kojima has all ways been a very good friend of Nintendo, aint nothing new.

9th- Plans for Space World conference in full detail leaking in early June.... LOL. They haven't even planned it themsleves if there was a Space World this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10th - Such bull**** i can't even finish.

D

Deleted member

Most of my ideas got through, in one way or another (Isaac, Felix etc.), so I'm relatively happy. But some fish always slip through the net, no matter how big it is...

I'm slightly annoyed that there's no way for English-speaking Europeans to voice their opinions on this, as the Official U.S website (which is being watched by the developers) blocks overseas registration, and unless you read/ write Japanese the Japanese Poll is no good either. NoE really need to pull themselves together.

I know similar opinions have been voiced in this, but I'm not sure that we would have requested FE characters for Melee if there was a similar poll (to give an example). We all have different tastes, and Nintendo needs to listen to those who want reasonably obscure characters in the game.

EDIT: M-rated Kid Icarus? What's so 'Kid' about it? (:laugh:)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Good read, I must say.

Some of it is beleiveable, however some was a tad farfetch'd. One thing I must say is his indepth overview of the Wii's technology.

I wont say he's 100% right, but you never know. Im not to sure Nintendo would let anyone let this out. I do think there will be a Space World 2006, but sme stuff like AO games is a little off. You hardly ever see AO games.

In the end, we'll see.

TheRedMarth

Smash Apprentice
My most sincere thanks for taking the time to translate these updates. I've become such a SSBB News wh@re that the slow flow of the current English Smash site could not sate me. You rock.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
antpod said:
1st off- Miyamoto stated that he is only heading two projects, Super mario Galaxy and Zelda TP
Doesn't mean he is ONLY heading two projects. It wouldn't be surprising to announce a new one, and if I'm not mistaken, I believe that another E3 no-show was a new Nintendo IP that Miyamoto is creating which was announced awhile ago.

antpod said:
2nd -the reasons for not showing all info at E3 are plain crap
How so? From a buisness standpoint, they make sense. Plus, have you seen the response from Iwata, Miyamoto, Reggie, etc.? They were floored by the positive responses people gave them about the Wii. They didn't expect so much praise.

antpod said:
3rd- AO games!!!!!!! LOL!!!(And just so you know ratings of a game are always unknown until the last step in a game development, when it goes ESRB board for a rating. This is the LAST thing that would be known about a game.)
Its no secret that Nintendo has been labeled a "kiddy" company. They have had many attempts at trying to shed this label, and show pretty obvious signs of continuing to do so if you look at two of their new IPs: H.A.M.M.E.R. and that disaster one.

antpod said:
4th- "Another being a followup Wii title to the critically-acclaimed Kid Icarus. Will be rated M." LOL!!!!!! For those who have played Kid Icarus and know what its about laugh it up. (also Miyamoto only makes games that everyone can easily play, he is against making M rated games since it blocks out a majority of the market)
I remember reading recently a comment by Sakurai about how the creator for Kid Icarus was thinking of doing a spinoff using the model they created for SSBB. I actually think I posted that quote from the NSider forms over here...

antpod said:
5th- "Space World 2006 will last 120 min" LOL. Space World is a public convention! It usualy lasts 3 days, its not just a conference!
He could have easily meant the general presentation.

antpod said:
6th- Nintendo does not do twwo seperate skus and they have stated in an official announcment that Wii will not exeed $250.
Sony announced they wouldn't do that either. But wait...they are! Plus, the Wii extra package doesnt have different essential things, i.e. the PS3 not having HDMI or memory slots on the cheaper one. It seems like the Wii is just packaged with more stuff, nothing is downgraded between the packages, i.e. wired controllers for the core 360/cheaper PS3.

antpod said:
7th- Nintendo is not supporting ANY type of HD format as we already seen and know what the new format is as seen in the official specs. And it is too late to switch media formats since they would need a new drive in their system which wold bump up costs and their system would most likely exeed the offical announcment previously mentioned.
*shrug* I don't really care much about HD. The only HD I have is a huge 70", and my Dad won't let me hook up any consoles to it, so I could care less about HD :p

antpod said:
8th- Hideo Kojima has all ways been a very good friend of Nintendo, aint nothing new.
Yeah, but he hasn't had alot of games coming to Nintendo consoles. Simple semantics, doesn't mean much ^_^''

antpod said:
9th- Plans for Space World conference in full detail leaking in early June.... LOL. They haven't even planned it themsleves if there was a Space World this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or perhaps they just chose not to announce it yet?

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha. That's hilarious. A simple program which can look at film and estimate what objects look like in 360 degree rotation. If Nintendo do that, they win the world.

D

Deleted member

TheRedMarth said:
My most sincere thanks for taking the time to translate these updates. I've become such a SSBB News wh@re that the slow flow of the current English Smash site could not sate me. You rock.
Same feelings here. Man, I wish my school taught Japanese...

(I want that M-rated Kid Icarus.)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Thanks guys, you're the reason I keep coming back. Once I get home, I'll probably start going over some translations and what not, just to make the thread feel more complete ^_^

By the way...I've noticed alot of people talking about the "easiness" quote, and I figured that I should put in my own two cents. Keep in mind that even with my rough translation, I know for a FACT he said the game MIGHT/MAY become easier. So I doubt that the "easy" statement is referring to the advanced techniques.

Also, there is a bit of Japanese culture that you guys should know about... Japanese people LOVE deep fighting games. The deeper, more complex, and more advanced it is, the more they love it. In consideration that the development team for SSBB were completly obsessed with SSBM, I sincerely doubt that the overall competitive gameplay will decrease. Rather, I'd think it would increase.

Top Bottom