• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

Dustin never stops

Smash Rookie
Hello, Mr. SamuraiPanda?

could you please send a request for Ryu to be in Brawl? and if you wanted to add my moveset and reasoning from my Ryu th cool, but really whatever as long as the message gets through.

Thanks a ton for working hard to help make our vision of brawl come true!

antpod

Smash Cadet
Yo Mr. SamuraiPanda can you translate what Sakurai said last night?(5.30)
here it is
誰かにとってのいいことは、誰かにとってのよくないこと。
誰かにとってのエキサイティングは、誰かにとっての不親切。
正解なんて、ないのだろうと思います。

今回は対戦の細かいことよりもやさしさを重視したいので、
全体的に多少甘めになるかもしれません。
先のことはまだわかりませんけど。

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
Dustin never stops said:
Hello, Mr. SamuraiPanda?

could you please send a request for Ryu to be in Brawl? and if you wanted to add my moveset and reasoning from my Ryu th cool, but really whatever as long as the message gets through.

ryu off of SF? sweet. i never thought of that.......his moves are already there from countless SFs, u could just mess with them abit to fit SSBB.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Dustin never stops said:
Hello, Mr. SamuraiPanda?

There is actually a thread hosted by somebody else that is dedicated to sending these emails to the new Smash Bros team. Its right here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=71301

Hope that helps ^_^

(And just give me a minute to do the translation of the new update. I didn't expect him to update again so soon!)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I understand that WiFi requires you to have broadband, but what I meant was it wasn't a subscription service. Shoulda clarified, because now I look like an idiot XD You can use Nintendo wi-fi feeding off a local connection that isn't necessarily yours, like the one at Wal-Mart, school, or your neighbor's ;)

XBOX Live is a better online system for the mainstream gamer, as you can get an account, pretty much flawless service, and other nifty bells and whistles for a fee. Nintendo's not like that, because they don't want to alienate hardcore gamers or fanboys (who, let's be honest, are very cheap and fickle. I know I am :p), nor do they want to ditch all those others who play Nintendo but aren't that keen on video games. I'm not disappointed if they go with friend codes, I just wouldn't mind a sort of "buddy list" for all my games that I go online with, instead of this BS thing where I have to get a different code for every game. What a hassle!

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Ya, Nintendo's main belief is that, for online to be successful, it must be as cheap as possible in order to net their entire audience into using it. I'm sure the Wifi Connection will evolve with Wii and have a single friend code per system (or controller it seems) and probably a simple cross game buddy list to tell you which people you played with before are on again. I doubt it'll get far beyond that, though.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
This has been the hardest of all updates by FAR to translate. I'm struggling a bit to accurately translate what he's saying...but its hard. Just keep this in mind before you read it. I'll avoid a full update to the thread until I come back later tonight and recheck my own work.

This is by far the most important part of what he says: "This time, we'd like to stress easiness over the small details of combat, so overall it might become somewhat easier."

I might be unsure of my translation because I really don't like that news. But like I said, I'll check it again later.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
...Hopefully he's just referring to getting rid of Wavedashing and crap like that, because if he thinks the game his hard to play, he should try a SNK fighter >.< Smash Bros. is one the absolute EASIEST pickup and play fighters EVER.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more cynical I become about all this Brawl news, and the funnier it gets that I think we're close to seeing Sakurai completely bone Nintendo by screwing this game up on purpose, just like a big middle finger to them for forcing him to leave in the first place (granted it was HAL, but whatever), and wanting to screw with his series like that :lick:

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
...Hopefully he's just referring to getting rid of Wavedashing and crap like that, because if he thinks the game his hard to play, he should try a SNK fighter >.< Smash Bros. is one the absolute EASIEST pickup and play fighters EVER.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more cynical I become about all this Brawl news, and the funnier it gets that I think we're close to seeing Sakurai completely bone Nintendo by screwing this game up on purpose, just like a big middle finger to them for forcing him to leave in the first place (granted it was HAL, but whatever), and wanting to screw with his series like that :lick:

come on, give the guy some credit. i dont think hes gonna "bone" anyone except his wife.
we really wont know anything untill more is released tonite.......i hope when he said it will be easier he ment the story mode............cause if the controles were easier......g@Y!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Hahaha. It was meant as sort of a joke, sorry to rub anyone the wrong way :laugh: :laugh:

It's just funny how many people are freaking out that he's ruining the game with all these changes.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
I doubt by easier he means 1 button or so, I expect that as you said it's just like story and making the coms easier (yet hopefully smarter, then they won't just jump off the edge so often) I can hardly see and changes in the difficulty of the game making it any less skillful in multiplayer, the smash bros games are the best multiplayer games EVER. If they remove wavedash I won't really care because then there will be more emphasis on the skill of when to use a roll and when not to, less about crazy psycho people who could beat you in 3 seconds flat. And it will hepl balance some chars more, I hope they keep the things like l-cancel and shorthop, shorthop makes it more fun and slow chars NEED the l-cancel (bowser). Hopefully "easier" just means coms and story.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
FlipTroopa said:
just like a big middle finger to them for forcing him to leave in the first place (granted it was HAL, but whatever)
Nintendo/HAL did not force him to leave. He chose to step down to work on independent projects.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
McFox said:
Nintendo/HAL did not force him to leave. He chose to step down to work on independent projects.
Again, choice of words >.> People read too literally. I'll try and avoid that from now on. He left because he didn't like the quickness to sequelizing games, and the emphasis on big budget franchises as opposed to new ideas. So, in one sense, they forced him out with their own practices. Yeesh...

D1

Banned via Administration
>_> no ranking system? meh

at least they better have an online profile for each char that shows how many wins/losses they had or something like in the options mode for Melee. Where you check vs. records. if they had that in Melee why the hell not have that in Brawl?

DUMMIES (pointing @ Sakurai and company).

big j11

Smash Rookie
There has been so much fustration around SSBB that I wounder exactly how much fun its going to be. As for me I like that Nintendo is WiFi because it would be hard for me to get my hands on an online account and I don't really care about buddy list a stuff. The only thing i'm worried about is if there going to remove chacters or not. I must admit if they remove charters I would still play but hate the game alittle :ohwell:

Cojiro

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of the not-so-great news, I'd just like to say thanks to SamuraiPanda for doing all the translating, I joined so I could show my appreciation.

Oh, and RE WiFi - On the DS, didn't it start out pretty average (MKDS) but got a little more streamlined (Hunters)? Hopefully they can build on that, and make it half decent, with records and stuff.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Sorry guys, my 10-hour study session kinda burned me out, so I don't want to retranslate that last part right now. Instead, I think I'll translate ANOTHER new update. Sakurai is getting busy >_<

In this update, Sakurai basically just says that since Smash Bros is popular throughout the world, he can't just use characters that are only popular in Japan. But then he brings up that it worked for the Fire Emblem characters. Once, a black man (yes, he said that) thanked Sakurai for creating Roy just for him.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Lol, that's hilarious.

Nice to see that he's considering the concerns of the English-speaking audience as well as the Japanese one.

Once again, we would be lost without your constant updates Panda. On behalf of the entire staff here at SWF, THANK YOU. :)

Seriously, without you, we'd get endless topics saying "What'd he say today??"

Infil

Smash Journeyman
I think we need to step back and give Sakurai some credit. He knows what he's doing, and he has lots of time to tinker with it and fine-tune the system. I'm sure the end result will be thoroughly fun.

But if everyone is concerned about his desire to "slow down" the game a bit (and we really have no idea what that even means), people should let him know via the appropriate means! Voice your concerns while you still can. It's such a luxury to be able to do this with any game, we shouldn't pass up the opportunity to have our voices heard over concerns we have.

Thanks Panda for your constant translations. Keep it up, we all appreciate it!

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
He didn't say the game would be slowed down, exactly. He said the "speed would be moderated." That's even more ambiguous.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I do what I can when I have the time ^_^''

I'm just glad that I found SmashBoards. On the official site, nobody even bothers to post in my thread. On GameFAQs, there are always new users who come in my threads and claim I can't talk Japanese. But SmashBoards always treats me good, and thats why its the best.

In other news, I doubt I can translate anything tomorrow. I'm in Biochem from 9:30-4:00 (yes, ONE CLASS), then I figure I'll head over to the library straight from there until ~1:30-2:00-ish so I dunno if I'll spend more than an hour on my computer tomorrow. Time to get 4 hours of sleep!

Plomid

Smash Ace
omg there was an update today!!!!
samurai panda where would we be without you
ill tell you we would be here at the same place wondering wtf is up with the japanise site

cmart

Smash Lord
SamuraiPanda said:
In other news, I doubt I can translate anything tomorrow. I'm in Biochem from 9:30-4:00 (yes, ONE CLASS), then I figure I'll head over to the library straight from there until ~1:30-2:00-ish so I dunno if I'll spend more than an hour on my computer tomorrow. Time to get 4 hours of sleep!
Wow that's like a normal art school class. I'm doing 9 to 5's for one class right now-makes me feel like I have a job or something.

On topic-your updates-cryptic as they may be are very appreciated. I'd rather hear about things this way than be hit with a shocker on launch day. Thanks much.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey Panda I think you're a liar and you can't really read Japanese and you're just misleading all of us.

LOL Those were funny days back on the GameFAQs boards eh?

Im in purgatory so I couldn't post in your topic there, but thanks for keeping us updated XD

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Thx Panda, this is greatly appreciated. Hopefully now Nintendo will include some characters that were popular in the states too!

MajiNfraze

Smash Apprentice
Hold on a minute. Samurai, you were nice enough to translate japanese for those of us who don't speak/read it (probably 99% of us), and you were FLAMED for that? C'mon guys...

MajiNfraze

Smash Apprentice
From those of us who didn't flame you ^.^ thanks a ton! I'm a bit dismayed that it seems they are noobing the game up a bit. I play competitive CS and when they made the jump from 1.6 to the Source engine, they trashed the competitive aspect of the game by making almost recoilless guns and huge nub-friendly hitboxes. I hope SSBB is as furious and graceful as SSBM. Perhaps for the "moderation" factor they could have a '"player level" input (easy, medium, hard) which would notch the engine back depending on who is playing? That would both be great for introducing new players and keeping seasoned veterans.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Try not to double post Maji

Its good that they want to add characters popular in other places in the world. Hopefully we (English speeking people) will be able to give them our thoughts directly. As far as changing the gameplay goes; they know how competitive Smash has become and I know they wouldnt do anything to ruin it.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
It would be kool 4 the Japanese to see some of our characters that we like and vice-versa so it'll appeal to all of us.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
GJ panda. Hmm..I'm not sure I understand about the popularity thing. Basically he's saying he wants to add more english liked charcters but he'll probably stick to Japanese ones. Little wierd.

Also, he's hinting at making Brawl easier. And I think we ALL can tell what that means. ^^

D1

Banned via Administration
If thats the case lets hope he puts in Geno ^_^.

On another note, since Nintendo now knows that Smashboards exists do you think they'll actually check up on what their readers/players are thinking about? To get a good sense of what they'd like to see on Brawl? Or would they rather expect us to sign up to Nsider message boards and post what we want to the NOA dudes that work in those forums?

Just a thought.

Top Bottom