• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Hmm... I doubt they do check on Smashboards but it'd be nice if they did. Then they could get some insight on what competitive players want.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
D1 said:
If thats the case lets hope he puts in Geno ^_^.

On another note, since Nintendo now knows that Smashboards exists do you think they'll actually check up on what their readers/players are thinking about? To get a good sense of what they'd like to see on Brawl? Or would they rather expect us to sign up to Nsider message boards and post what we want to the NOA dudes that work in those forums?

Just a thought.
Probobly the Insider board. He did send a letter to the board. I beleive its stickyed on the SSBB board.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Troulbe is I CAN'T post on those boards, I'm english, plus this forum is much nicer has a wider community and the views given by most of the people here are much more valid and more intelligent.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Thanks guys, its great to know that ya'll appreciate the translations.

My eventual goal (after my test on Friday) is to go back and read/translate anything important from previous updates as well as retranslate some of my faster works, such as the infamous "moderation" translation. I never expected so many people to pick apart my first translation, so I did it rather quick. Soon (after Friday), I'll post the full, literal translation for you guys to pick apart assuming it isn't straightforward (which it may be). And I'll continue to work on formatting it so its not too hard to read.

Btw, this is probably (hopefully not) the last time I'll be on today, and I may only be on tomorrow morning, assuming I can live through studying from 12pm-2am straight -_-

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Keep it up Panda. Think about it. Right now, you are the official go-to guy for the latest info on Brawl. Ofcourse we're going to apreciate what your translations. Even though the info we're getting isnt written in stone and is subject to change, its the best info we're getting so far. We are all very greatfull for your hard work.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
The Great Marth said:
MARSHIGIO.....your ***'s are nice. whos are they?

When ,on average, does this guy read his emails? every day or once a week?
Thx Great Marth :) . I have 2 Mona pics here(WarioWare) Zamus and the others are all just made up characters who have no identity other than their booties. EDIT: Oh yeah, that chick shaking her butt is the girl from P.N. 03

I think he looks at this just about everyday.

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
I did a (very) cursory scan of the recent posts, so I dont' think this has been brought up yet, but there's an article on IGN about Sakurai updating the site too; they translated something he wrote:

May 31, 2006 - Nintendo has periodically updated its official Super Smash Bros. Brawl website with new information and screenshots on characters in the game. The Big N even posted a poll asking viewers which stars they'd like to see in the sequel.

Earlier this week the game's director, Mr. Sakurai, posted on Nintendo's message board about some of the fighters making appearances in the title. We've quoted his words verbatim below.

-----

This is Masahiro Sakurai, the game designer on Smash Bros. Hi.

Thank you all very much for your responses! It looks like people are split pretty evenly over which of the four new characters is their favorite. That's good.

I was well aware that Pit was a popular character in both America and Japan. I tried as best I could to design this version of him in a way that reflected current tastes, so I'm happy to see him so well received.

The creator of Kid Icarus has even jokingly asked if he could make a spin-off using this Pit model.

As for Meta Knight, when I left my previous company I never thought I'd be laying a hand on this character again, let alone on Smash Bros.

Kirby is a character I designed when I was 19 years old, but I created Meta Knight when I was 22. I knew the character was popular in Japan, but last time around I held off and didn't include him in the game. I wanted to put other people's titles ahead of my own.

I put Zero Suit Samus in thinking I wanted to include more characters from the popular Metroid series. Also, since Smash Bros. has few female characters, I was quite happy to include her.

I bet you were all surprised by the appearance of Snake!

Finally we've gotten over the wall that separates different game makers, but of course this was due to the cooperation of many different people. Now, Smash Snake is fighting furiously and sneaking before my very eyes.

Wario seems to be the only character who isn't very popular. Is it bad I included him? No, I don't think that's the case. You can all look forward to his unprecedented "contributions."

Thank you all very much for voting. I'm sure there are a lot of different expectations out there, but I'll work to create something that everyone will enjoy

link: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/710/710752p1.html

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Bowser isn't a waste of space, Pichu is. Yes, Bowser sucks but at least he is a villain and one of the most recognizable ones at that. I doubt Wario will be as strong and slow as Bowser anyway...

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
lol, bowser's fire can go on for a LONG time...but then again I guess Wario is capable of doing a number of impossible things with his farts.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
When you update, could you copy+paste your update onto a new post as well? That makes it easier to view in the thread because it divides the discussion cleanly >.>; I'd also like it because it'll be easier for me when I source your post at the site I work at. I write for QJ and I like to link to your translation as my source. It's cleaner if you have the new info in a seperate place =P

And yeah, told you NSider won't appreciate jack =/ I'm THEFIRESTORM there.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
So, Sakurai wants to make the game easier.....Oh, you poor poor "pro's." I feel for you, I truly do.....to a point. I can't feel TOO bad, it's getting me all wet in the pants thinking about how much more chaotic Brawl will be.

LESS SKILL MORE CHAOS!! BWUAHAHA! L...O....L

Also, it can't be that hard for him to include American-ish characters. He's saying he wants to add more of them, but he's going to find it hard to. I find that B***S***. Ephraim&Eirika/Lyon, Eliwood/Hector/Lyn, Ike/Grail are ALL popular here. That's 8 characters to choose from right there, that's just the mains. That's not even counting the 40+ characters you get in EACH game, a bunch of which ARE cool enough to be in Smash. And this is just looking at Fire Emblem!

Take a second glance our way Sakurai, you'll be suprised what you find.

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
Inferno_blaze said:
Troulbe is I CAN'T post on those boards, I'm english, plus this forum is much nicer has a wider community and the views given by most of the people here are much more valid and more intelligent.
Seconded. I'm Mexican. I conned my way in anyway, but by the time I got accepted I had found out that it's much better here. I frankly don't care who they put in or take out, except that they should put in Little Mac and Rockman (Those 2 are highly probable) and Bomberman, but I've kinda given up on him since the whole 1-2 thrid party comment.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
What did the e-mail he was replying to abotu the game being "easier" say?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
According to Google's horrific Japanese translation, he seems to be talking about Pit and Metaknight's voices.

But yeah, we aren't really going to know until Panda graces us with his presence. :p

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
McFox said:
But yeah, we aren't really going to know until Panda graces us with his presence. :p
ohhhh but i want to know nowwww. :(

Hmm...about the voices though. I wonder if he's talking about fighting sounds like grunts and such, or actual speaking?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
It sounds like he's talking about speaking voices, but like I said, it's pretty much completely incomprehensible. All I really know is that he mentioned voices several times, along with Pit and Metaknight.

Dustin never stops

Smash Rookie
hmm, that post about the game being easier makes me nervous.

More air combat emphasis+easier to play.

that couldn't mean the end of short-hopping.....right?

will there be any advanced techniques?

sakurai will make it kick *** either way, but I'll just hope when he says "slower" and "easier" he means very slightly, and in regards to high level play.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
To Chaps:

I actually posted that here within the minute it was posted on the NSider boards. I had a lucky refresh and decided that first post is ********, I'd rather share the wealth ^_^

To Firestorm:

Actually, all of my updates on the first post are copy/pastes of my original messages in the thread, they are all just scattered about. And thanks for your support, too. I figure that I'm gonna put one last update on the NSider forum, and if there is a lackluster response as usual, then I'm just not gonna post there no more.

---------

Ugh, I'm beat. Before I head to bed, I read over the new update. McFox was right, all Sakurai was talking about were the voice actors for Metaknight and Pit. For you anime fans out there, Pit's voice actor also plays Conan from Detective Conan (Case Closed in the US I think).

But I have some bad news guys, it seems that the polls are closing on 6/9. Uh oh, even more bad news..."Thereafter [after 6/9], I plan to devote my time to the closed [read: confidential] development of SSBB. Sometime in 2007, when the game is more finished, keeping in mind the time [Unsure of this part, I think he might be referring to how for SSBM they released a character every week until release], we'll start the real deal [Once again, shaky translation], so look forward to it!"

Not very good news. Not very good news at all. I'm gonna go to sleep now, but tomorrow morning I may update the first post as well.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Disappointing, but it doesn't really surprise me. They're going to keep quiet now that they've got their profiles out on the five new characters.

BACH

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm concerned about this "making the game easier"

I hope we get a closer translation of that - we don't want Smash to get dumbed down like Halo did from Halo 1 to Halo 2

nomis

Smash Journeyman
UNKN{OWN}iXi said:
Guys Guys Guys!

ITS 25 25 25 25 25 25 CHARACTERS IN MELEE!!!!!

NOT 26!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, seems like 25 characters.. yes...

Wait - wait - wait - uh oh - something's coming. W-what's this?

I

I

I feel it!

It's...!!!!!

C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Okay so now they go back into silent mode. And yeah, not sure if I like the sounds of making the game easier, I mean its fine if some aspects are but the whole thing? No way.

So the possibility of weekly character updates? Well that would make me happy... because I'd like to look forward to each week with the idea of seeing a new Brawl character, well we'll see what happens I suppose.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
Guys, SamuraiPanda already said he misinterpreted the part about the game being easier. Sakurai was replying to something about voice acting for Pit and Metaknight.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
^--- No, I was talking about the most recent update. I haven't hade time to go back and look at the one you're talking about.

I'm off to class now, and I don't intend to come back today. Sorry ^_^''

TrainerAbu

Smash Cadet
SamuraiPanda said:
Pit's voice actor also plays Conan from Detective Conan (Case Closed in the US I think).
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I LOOOVE DETECTIVE CONAN!!!!

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Top Bottom