• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
Bomberman is dead. After his Nintendo 64 games, his games have sucked terribly. Ever play Bomberman Jetters?(sorry for bringing bad memories for those who have)
No, but I have Generations and it's great. Sure, the single player is bad, but nobody plays Bomberman for that. The multiplayer is excellent, with plenty of options and new features.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
i saw the thread was updated on 5.25.06......well what was the update. i read the front page again and saw no change...can u guys help me out?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I assume it will, but it wont have rankings a la Xbox Live. Meaning, it probably IS working similar to the friend code system :/

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Yes online, you'll just have to get Friend codes for people you want to play against here. :)

Hey, with what will likely be over 40,000 members by the time Brawl is released, you should be able to find someone to play.

Welcome back Panda. Once again, your translations are greatly appreciated. :)

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Do you think this also means less options? I want to have the option between free for alls with items and 1v1 without items, etc. Having it the MKDS way will be horrible for SSBB =/

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Thanks for translating again Samurai! You're one awesome dude for doing this for us! ^_^

And my take is that it IS going to be like Kart DS, where it just tells others your Wins and Losses. You could probably set up a nickname and some stupid logo, maybe, and get the same crappy: Friends, Rivals, Worldwide, Regional thing we always have had. I would prefer you getting a universal friend code on your Wii; let's hope for that. It's gonna be painful having to swap friend codes for Brawl and then a separate one for some other game and another and on and on. But it's what I expected. They wouldn't do it without items or 4P, but I will bet you that Super Smash Attacks are absent. Dollars to donuts. And if they make super crazy stages, like Big Blue, those will also be missing.

It will still be wildly popular, and I won't mind: I would just use it to incorporate one or two friends from home in my usual local group of people at school who I can play with in person.

antpod

Smash Cadet
is the Wifi Connection online structure that ****ed up? I mean, there cant be anyother reason why it would be hard to be online except that.They should really look at the xbox live online structure

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
If they went with XBOX Live, they cut out everyone who doesn't have broadband and who doesn't want to pay subscription fees. It's all fanservice if they put online in, so be grateful for it is my motto! Nintendo can't stand online gaming >.>

antpod

Smash Cadet
they already did cut out everyone who doesnt have broadband with wifi.

fanservice??? LOL. dude, i cant stand taking tests but i do it. Nintendo has to start puting out some good online games. Its for business. Millions of people are on xbox live... Thats buisness, thats how a company gets consumers to buy their product., by adding a new element that is very popular these days and is imo one of the best things a game can have. If nintendo cant stand online gaming(which they dont., you just think that for some reason that makes no sence no matter how you put it) than i hope they cant stand losing consumers. I know to you and mi it wouldnt matter if online was in or not and we would still buy it but to the mainstream and casual consumer they want that in indeed. Fanservice is little things such as a japanese soundtrack as well as english. Not a giant feature in a game

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
They cut off everyone without broadband by making it WiFi only. They have the Virtual Console to help them pay for the online service. They have the funds. They just need to deliver.

The reason I think he might resort to 1v1 without items is because items + 4 players at once might make it laggy. You've seen Fountain of Dreams ;)

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
I don't think a ranking system is very important to the game anyways. What happens when you have leaderboards is you get an influx of cheaters, hackers, and the like. Look at bridging with Halo 2. The best players wouldn't be at the top - it'd be all the Jr High Schoolers who learned how to crack the online mode. I'm perfectly happy with online mode being plain and simple - just get in, play some new people, and get out. It'd be nice if you can request friend invites to people who are about your skill, though.

Though, I guess a ranking system like Halo 2 might be nice, so you don't play really bad people when you're really good, or vice versa. But, like I said, their primary function should be to make it so online play works fine. I'm assuming that they'll be able to get 1v1 in. I'm really, *REALLY* hoping that they can get 2v2 or FFA to work. I'd be willing to sacrifice a new character (or maybe even two) to be able to play online like that.

Sudai

Stuff here
I say when it comes out, we make a post where everyone post thier friend code and nothing else (and have one person dedicated to updating the first post with friend codes), then anyone that wants can just go through and add all the friend codes.

I wouldn't mind running that post or something if no one else wants to.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
That's a lot of work. It would be much easier to just include a Friend Code field in your profile that would show up on the boards, like your Location.

SmashBroPro

Smash Ace
Yeah I agree that a friend code system pails a bit in comparision to X Box Live, but if implemented properly it will still be an awesome feature. Regular tournaments will allow people to definatively rank players and as the Mods have said, these boards will help make up for any interface difficulty.

I'm still crossing my fingers though for 2v2 and FFA, don't get me wrong 1v1 is the priority, but those would really put the game over the top.

antpod

Smash Cadet
SmashBroPro said:
Yeah I agree that a friend code system pails a bit in comparision to X Box Live, but if implemented properly it will still be an awesome feature. Regular tournaments will allow people to definatively rank players and as the Mods have said, these boards will help make up for any interface difficulty.

I'm still crossing my fingers though for 2v2 and FFA, don't get me wrong 1v1 is the priority, but those would really put the game over the top.
pails a bit?

friend code compared to live is like a wagon and a car. A wagon works, but why the **** would you use it?

Black/Light

Smash Master
antpod said:
pails a bit?

friend code compared to live is like a wagon and a car. A wagon works, but why the **** would you use it?

Because you don't want to PAY all that money for gas...

Black/Light

Smash Master
I really wanted ranking for characters online but as long as it works it's all good. I just hope they have more customizations to characters outfit for online play.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
FlipTroopa said:
If they went with XBOX Live, they cut out everyone who doesn't have broadband
Pardon my ignorance (and I do mean that), but doesn't Nintendo's current online system basically require broadband internet (unless you're gonna count going to McDonald's, etc.)?

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Even though Wifi is possible on 56k, Nintendo Wifi Connection seems to only support the high speed stuff. In fact the first question on their technical support page asks if you have a high speed connection; saying no spits you out saying you should upgrade is it will not operate properly. Being compatible with 56k users just slows down the game for broadband users so I guess high speed internet is one standard of living that everyone expects you to have now.

SmashBroPro

Smash Ace
Antpod:

Okay, well first I would just like to say that the former Nintendo president was extremely dismissive of online play (thank God that moron is gone). So Flippa's point is not without support, although I think Nintendo is moving into online play, after much dragging of feet.

Second, don't you know that complimenting anything Microsoft will bring down hordes of foaming Nintendo fanboys on you? Seriously though, while the options on X Box live are the gold standard of the console industry, it is hardly a deal breaker. Things like ranking system rate far lower on my list (and I would venture most smashers) than say smooth online play, FFA, 2v2, robust character selection, etc. If WiFi can deliver this I think the dissapointment of not having quite as many whistles will be short lived.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I think they're talking about Hiroshi Yamauchi, who's arrogance matches that of Mr. Kutaragi. Mr. Iwata seem a lot more supportive of online play as does Reggie compared to...that guy you really don't hear much about...

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
What'd be nice about friend codes is the amount of traffic it'd bring here. With all the thousands of people going online to share their buddy codes like they do for the DS, guess where they'll all end up?

*Ding ding, lightbulb went on. McFox, Staffer Shack thread, pronto :p*

antpod

Smash Cadet
SmashBroPro said:
Antpod:

Okay, well first I would just like to say that the former Nintendo president was extremely dismissive of online play (thank God that moron is gone). So Flippa's point is not without support, although I think Nintendo is moving into online play, after much dragging of feet.

Second, don't you know that complimenting anything Microsoft will bring down hordes of foaming Nintendo fanboys on you? Seriously though, while the options on X Box live are the gold standard of the console industry, it is hardly a deal breaker. Things like ranking system rate far lower on my list (and I would venture most smashers) than say smooth online play, FFA, 2v2, robust character selection, etc. If WiFi can deliver this I think the dissapointment of not having quite as many whistles will be short lived.
yea i see what your saying, but now with Iwata in charge you can tell he's been pushing online a lot (even going up to Sakurai and saying he wants a new Online smash) Iwata is actually understanding that online is a standard and out these nintendo boards most people expect online in the multiplayer of the game.

I agree with you i would like smooth online rather than ranking, but imo they should be able to do both/(and all of my casual friends who dont play games as much expect no less then ranking and smooth online) And for those saying live is subscription based, sony is doing the same thing as them now with PS3 for free and i see no reason why Nintendo cant do that. Also most online ps2 games have all these features as well.

now dont get me wrong, out of all my friends im the biggest Nintendo fanboy(n-bot, w/e) and protect nintendo from every argument. But im just going to be dissapointed if Brawl online does not at least support 4 player matches, items, and complete match settings.(i think this is very possible on the wifi connection structure and not that hard, i mean NST did it...) They have a giant team and from the sound of it theyve been working their ***** off.

SmashBroPro

Smash Ace
agree with you i would like smooth online rather than ranking, but imo they should be able to do both/(and all of my casual friends who dont play games as much expect no less then ranking and smooth online)
Well Antpod I used to think the same thing. I assumed that a nearly complete online mode (perhaps missing a few of the random modes and more exotic stages) with ranking and opponent finder would be available. I also assumed that SSBB was going to retain all of the characters from SSBM and add at least 6-8. Nintendo originally stated that SSB franchise had approximately a year development cycle and I figured, like you, that with the unprecedented resources they have at their dispossal this would be a slam dunk. Heck, the fact that the game will use GC remotes and apparently retain most of the movesets, animation, and physics from SSBM made me all the more confident that this would be the case.

However, we have been hearing a lot of hedging from the development team. This all leads me to believe that my earlier mathmatics are mistaken. More resources doesn't neccesarily translate directly into increased productivity. Maybe this is another case of Nintendo pulling the wool over our eyes and SSBB will exceed our original expectations. I'm just saying that 1+1 doesn't neccesarily equal 2, though like you I will be dissapointed if the online mode is lacking.

fireyredmystic

Smash Cadet
Kokichi said:
What'd be nice about friend codes is the amount of traffic it'd bring here. With all the thousands of people going online to share their buddy codes like they do for the DS, guess where they'll all end up?

*Ding ding, lightbulb went on. McFox, Staffer Shack thread, pronto :p*
Well, I'm it's going to be great since we'll all share our friend codes here so that we can fight each other.

Also, thank you Mr. Iwata. The previous present WAS the biggest moron of all time and didn't even play videogames. Iwata and Reggie have turned the company around since they assumed power. ;)

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Yeah with a friend list or any sort of buddy system it'd be great to play with some of the people on here (though i'd get trashed :p) Some of the better known players (zelgadis, ken, chu etc) would get swamped with invos if they let their code or name out though...

Iggy K

Smash Ace
This is nice news you've got here. Online using friend codes? I've never gotten the online thing for Mario Kart DS so I don't know, but it doesn't sound bad.

Squatdog7

Smash Apprentice
On the site you could have different threads for different levels of play so people that are new dont get killed by giving their code to experts. Or you could put your level in your profile so that people can see.

Top Bottom