• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Even though some clones are as popular or more than the originals, and play almost entirely differently. Yeah, it makes perfect sense.

Yeah, SP, a recap of the main points would be good, because I know I got a little confused by the amount of information, probably where my long winded theory about the moderated speed came from. It won't completely stop people from overreacting and posting wrong conclusions (this is the Internet), but it'll still cut down on it a lot.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
a website(jeuxfrance.com), that brought u the pkmn battle revolution vid .....yall believed it with out a doubt...and it turned out being true.

but u wont believe that there was an interview.....it was posted on the same site the pkmn vid was.....it seems yall just dont want to admit that YLink,gay&watch, and IC are gone.

thats cool.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
The Great Marth said:
a website(jeuxfrance.com), that brought u the pkmn battle revolution vid .....yall believed it with out a doubt...and it turned out being true.

but u wont believe that there was an interview.....it was posted on the same site the pkmn vid was.....it seems yall just dont want to admit that YLink,gay&watch, and IC are gone.

thats cool.
Sorry, the rumour is not true. Gamespot proved it wrong (can't find a link, GS's search sucks, but it was from some forum post) and all of the gaming sites that put the story up quoted that one French site. But the French site said that it was a radio interview done on a Japanese radio station (also know that radio isn't very popular in Japan), so how is it that the French site is the ONLY one who had this information? Shouldn't there be tons of Japanese sites with the info, too? There isn't, and that is one of the many reasons why the story was PROVED FALSE.

And they did NOT bring the Pokemon video. The Pokemon video was aired during a press conference held by Nintendo, many different gaming sites reported the news and put up their own videos as many different people recorded it.

So please, put that story to rest. Its dead. Not true. Period.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Besides, who take the French seriously? Have you see their army knives? it has 2 things: a comb and a white flag.

Off-topic: I seem to have maybe blocked it out of my mind, but did they really push Brawl back to Q4? I though it was 2-3. I might have to go do something...drastic....

Back on: I don't want Sakurai to abandon us. I feel so alone. Anything useless like MK having a rock version of Kirby's song. Just don't make us go cold turkey! :cry:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
Besides, who take the French seriously? Have you see their army knives? it has 2 things: a comb and a white flag.

Off-topic: I seem to have maybe blocked it out of my mind, but did they really push Brawl back to Q4? I though it was 2-3. I might have to go do something...drastic....

Back on: I don't want Sakurai to abandon us. I feel so alone. Anything useless like MK having a rock version of Kirby's song. Just don't make us go cold turkey! :cry:
Q4? Nope, they haven't said anything besides "2007."

And cheer up, its only a couple months to the TGS, and they're bound to give us some info. I could totally see them announcing that a popular character, like Sonic or Geno, is in the game, just to make everyone go crazy with excitement.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
SamuraiPanda said:
Q4? Nope, they haven't said anything besides "2007."

And cheer up, its only a couple months to the TGS, and they're bound to give us some info. I could totally see them announcing that a popular character, like Sonic or Geno, is in the game, just to make everyone go crazy with excitement.
Doesn't Nintendo usually not attend TGS?

Devastlian

Smash Lord
(Though it didn't happen with the GameCube) I think that there is a strong chance that Nintendo might take the opportunity to advertise the Wii at TGS since it takes place so close to the Wii's launch. Mr. Iwata said that the pricing and release date (and maybe some other final info like VC details or other special features) for the Wii will be revealed in September...which could mean that they are attending TGS or are planning on releasing the info then to compete with the TGS hype...or it could mean that SpaceWorld could make a comeback (though SpaceWorld was traditionally in August.) Who knows; maybe Sora will join in the fun and show us something cool, too.

I seem to contradict myself a lot...

And what's up with all of this French bashing?

SuperSmashMistress

Smash Cadet
Voodoo Daddy said:
Marth should be replaced with Ike. In the Fire Emblem universe... NO ONE LIKES MARTH.
;-; That's not true. I love Marth, he's the only one I dare play in friendly tournaments.

--

Anywayyy.. (I'm really sorry if this has already been said, but there was a lot to read. >_> )

My friend heard this on Japanese Radio Show (Still rumors, but they seem very likely). It said that both Marth & Roy have a good chance of returning to Smash Bros. It was stated that Roy would be given a different sword-fighting style (something like fencing, supposedly).

I figured it would really make more sense for Marth to get fencing (if this is happening, anyway) although I'm not going to complain..because I will be overjoyed to see them both make a return.

This isn't totally confirmed. >_> Please don't bite my head off for being optimistic and wanting this to be true. XD I'm just a selfish fangirl.

I think Sakurai should perhaps add another FE character like Ike/Lyndis/Sain/Erk/etc rather than take away those two. But..who knows what he'll do. It'll be a great game no matter what.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Not biting your head off, but if it was the same Japanese radio show that announced ICs, Y. Link, and Pichu would be replaced with WW Link, Ridley, and Bowser Jr., don't expect anyone to take it seriously, i.e., prepare to get your head bitten off a lot.

D

Deleted member

Fencing? Are you sure?

Fencing weapons (i.e., rapiers) are light and easy to wield, yet relatively weak (both in video games, and real life). Marth et Roy's weapons are longswords. The styles are totally different. If you were talking about Roy's old dad then I guess I could see your point, since there's no way in hell that you could lift that monstrosity unless you're name's Cloud or Sephiroth.

Ever heard of SephirothKen, Voodoo Daddy? (Cool name that, wish I'd thought of it.)

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I could definitely see a more fencing style sword-play put in. Although they would need to do a lot to make it work, since fencing real [what i do] and game fencing have one weakness, they all jab to the front. Granted that will be changed, I still think they're gonna need something more.

Also, I'm suggesting Q4 since when you go to BestBuy and others, they're pre-ordering for Brawl says they will send the pre-orderers the first wave which is coming to them in November of '07.

Fyxe

Smash Rookie
SuperSmashMistress said:
;-; That's not true. I love Marth, he's the only one I dare play in friendly tournaments.
Sorry to everyone for jumping in here, but I love Marth too. He's a popular character - it's not true that everyone hates him. Not by a long shot. He's a much better character than Ike, too. Not that Ike is bad, but... Marth is more of a natural hero than Ike is.

I'm a big Fire Emblem fan and LOADS of people like Marth. Marth should never go - he is the face of Fire Emblem. He was the hero of the original Fire Emblem, he is the ONLY character to be the hero of two Fire Emblem games, and not only that, he was also the hero of the short-lived Fire Emblem anime.

Also, Marth is muchos pretty.

As a bit of trivia for everyone here, Marth's voice actor in Melee is the same person who voiced him in the anime.

WindGuru said:
Fencing weapons (i.e., rapiers) are light and easy to wield, yet relatively weak (both in video games, and real life). Marth et Roy's weapons are longswords. The styles are totally different.
I just want to make the point that most of the hero characters in Fire Emblem games, including Roy, begin the game with a Rapier as their starting weapon. So all they would have to do is change Roy's Sword of Seals and replace it with a Rapier. Of course, this would mean his attacks would no longer set people on fire... Unless, of course, he brings out the Sword of Seals for his trademark explosive attack, but uses his Rapier for everything else.

SuperSmashMistress said:
I think Sakurai should perhaps add another FE character like Ike/Lyndis/Sain/Erk/etc rather than take away those two. But..who knows what he'll do. It'll be a great game no matter what.
Don't forget Hector, the only (I think) Fire Emblem Lord to use an axe as his primary weapon rather than a sword. Ike would be a bit too similar to Marth and Roy as it is so I'm not sure about him being in the game, but Lyn has a very unique style and also uses a bow. Hard to imagine Sain off his horse, but a lance-user would be interesting, and a magic user like Soren or Erk would be good, as long as they aren't too similar to Zelda.

Fencing would be good, if they don't replace Roy it would be good to give him a different style, because if Marth is in, that's at least three sword users in the game as it is. Four if Young Link is in, five if Ganondorf uses his sword, and six if Roy shows up as well. That's a lot of swords.

Anyway, SamuraiPanda, I've been lurking and watching this thread for awhile - thank you for the excellent work.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Devastlian said:
(Though it didn't happen with the GameCube) I think that there is a strong chance that Nintendo might take the opportunity to advertise the Wii at TGS since it takes place so close to the Wii's launch. Mr. Iwata said that the pricing and release date (and maybe some other final info like VC details or other special features) for the Wii will be revealed in September...which could mean that they are attending TGS or are planning on releasing the info then to compete with the TGS hype...or it could mean that SpaceWorld could make a comeback (though SpaceWorld was traditionally in August.) Who knows; maybe Sora will join in the fun and show us something cool, too.
Never thouh of that. Also one fact is that Nintendo dons't like TGS that much since they favor there own Spaceoworld. They may use attened TGS this year because they did last year and may have given upo on Spaceworld

As for the next FE character I dont think Lyn or Hector will make it. There only really popular in the states since thats the first FE game we got. Im betting Sigurd and Ike have the best chances. Ike also did well on NP's character poll. Als Hector is the first lord in a FE game to use an axe as his main weapon. Also Roy is more ;likly to fence since that was a weapon in his game(Eliwood specializes in it too).

Pvt. Falcon

Smash Apprentice
SmashChu said:
Never thouh of that. Also one fact is that Nintendo dons't like TGS that much since they favor there own Spaceoworld. They may use attened TGS this year because they did last year and may have given upo on Spaceworld

As for the next FE character I dont think Lyn or Hector will make it. There only really popular in the states since thats the first FE game we got. Im betting Sigurd and Ike have the best chances. Ike also did well on NP's character poll. Als Hector is the first lord in a FE game to use an axe as his main weapon. Also Roy is more ;likly to fence since that was a weapon in his game(Eliwood specializes in it too).
I don't think Ike or Lyn or Eliwood should make it. Eirica and Gilliam should. Oh yeah.
Gilliam's crazy (or he was when I played him)

Fyxe

Smash Rookie
SmashChu said:
But the fact that they're extra popular outside of Japan just emphasises the extra chance they have of making it in the game. Sakurai has already said he does not want Japan-only characters, so Sigurd is unlikely (also to my knowledge he spent the whole game on a horse, and if I remember correctly, he was only the main character for half of the game).

Of course Ike did well, like you said, he's one of the few Fire Emblem heros people outside of Japan that people know about. But he would be very difficult to fit into the game without making him a Marth clone. Hence that's why Lyn or Hector would fit nicer.

The Rapier was a weapon in the original Fire Emblem too, so there's no reason why Roy should be more likely to use it than Marth, except that he's a clone, of course, borrowing from Marth's original moveset. So if anyone is to change, he should.

Pvt. Falcon said:
I don't think Ike or Lyn or Eliwood should make it. Eirica and Gilliam should. Oh yeah.
Gilliam's crazy (or he was when I played him)
I don't even know who Eirica or Gilliam are yet. I presume they're secondary characters in one of the games that I haven't met yet. Secondary Fire Emblem characters have virtually no chance whatsoever.

Wait, you mean EiriKa. No, she has a chance of being in, and I would like to see her in it, but Lyn would be more unique, and I would prefer her being in it, she's like, awesome. Best Fire Emblem heroine in my opinion. Even better than Sheeda.

GenG

Smash Lord
I was an anti- Roy, but I think that he should stay for the sake of his timeline and drop other characters like Lyndis or Hector. But I'm not sure about this. I can't see Lyn in Brawl, but since it's the most popular character in the States, I think a bit of fanservice should be involved.

I'm for Cecil (not Sigurd, he is the only Nintendo character that has... well... and he's not the main character of the game cause Cecil was the chosen one). Cecil may not be that popular, but HE IS THE MAIN CHARACTER of the game. I heard that Sigurd almost made it to Melee but Sakurai dropped him for Roy (advertising purposes). So, it's him or Cecil, but not both, or make alternate customes with a voice change.

A spear user would be great. Talk about Ephraim. He may not be the most popular FE character, but it's different from any lord, and Sakurai stated that he may add suitable and interesting characters over the most popular ones. Long range stabbing moves, with some lag.

Ike is the last one with some chance. He is not the usual pimp lord. His style is mostly self taught, a rough one, wielding the sword as an axe. He is one of the best lords in terms of personality and role in the story, and he has moves like Aether that could fit. Plus his popularity is average to high in the FE fanbase, and his style is way different from the other lords.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
GenG said:
I'm for Cecil (not Sigurd, he is the only Nintendo character that has... well... and he's not the main character of the game cause Cecil was the chosen one). Cecil may not be that popular, but HE IS THE MAIN CHARACTER of the game.
They both share the role as main character of FE4.

Ike having one of the best personalities? He's blander than Eliwood. Ephraim would do far better, even though there's almost no chance of him getting in.

GenG

Smash Lord
The slavism and the social differences is what makes Path of Radiance so great. One of the best dialogues in the game is when Ike points Sanaki in the Begnion Court. Eliwood couldn't never do that, cause he is a noble. Ike does what he thinks that's right, he simply can't stand coldly while a friend is being bullied even by people of the high society and governors of a country. Ike has a progressive development of his personality and change a lot during the game, when being a mercenary, when he meets Elincia and when he becomes the general of his army. And Eliwood, in comparison, is a puppet.
That's why I think Ike is the best lord since Leaf.

The Cecil/Sigurd matter is similar to the Golden Sun one. Actually Felix is the main character of the series, while Isaac is the co-star. Felix was the one to put an end to everything was happening in the world. Most people prefer Isaac though.

Fyxe

Smash Rookie
I'd argue against most people preferring Isaac. I find most people prefer Felix, but many people have only played the original, so they don't know Felix very well. Felix is better lookin' anyway. Sorry to go all fangirl, but he's yummy. His personality is deeper too. Isaac has no personality.

I also heard that Sigurd was going to be in Melee but I'm not convinced about that at all. He appears too similar to Marth to me. It doesn't help that his blue hair and blue outfit would make him difficult to distinguish from Marth in the middle of battle.

Roy wasn't just in for advertising purposes. Other than Leaf (which Marth has an alternate costume based around), Roy was the only FE Lord to have something other than blue hair. This makes him distinguishable. Not only that, but he has the Sword of Seals that sets things aflame, which was enough to make him a more unique fighter. Finally, Sword of Seals had a chance of being the first Fire Emblem game to make it outside of Japan, so Roy was to act as an ambassador to the US. Unfortunately, Sword of Seals never made it, but it's prequel, still set in the same timeline, did.

What's with all the Eliwood hate? He's not that bad. Although I haven't played the game all the way so I can't judge completely yet. I think the primary reason he seems a bit flat is because he has to act as a straight man to Hector. Plus he's very much a noble.

The more I play Path of Radiance the more I like Ike. Yeah, he does use the sword like an axe, which is interesting. However, I still see him as too similar to Marth, in both appearance and moveset. You know that move where he dashes straight through the opponent with his blade and ends up behind them? That was in the very original NES Fire Emblem, as Marth's critical hit move.
Yay trivia.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It was between Sigurd and Marth, but Marth won due to popularity. Rpy was only added with the rest of the clones. And Sigurd is a lord so he is the main character. I beleive Ike has a higher chance then Lyn. He did better on Np's poll and I assum thats what they consider popular here. Dont expect anyone from FE8 as it didn't boad thatr wellk and wasn't to popular.

Fyxe

Smash Rookie
SmashChu said:
And Sigurd is a lord so he is the main character.
He was, but something... Big happens, and Cecil becomes the Lord. For example, who is the main character of Blazing Sword? Lyn, Eliwood or Hector? You start the game playing as Lyn, but really, Eliwood is the main character. So in the same respect, Cecil is the main character of FE4. Not to say that Sigurd is a minor character or anything, though.

Sacred Stones is an excellent game but was overshadowed by Path of Radiance. However, Sakurai has said he likes some of the more obscure characters, so there'a always a chance he may go for a lesser known hero.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
...And if I could just direct everyone's attention to the top of the page, where the title of this thread is. Not meaning to be a troll, I even forgot what thread this was, it's just gotten extremely off topic.

RoytheNoobOwner

Smash Rookie
Yeah because not knowing this info is driving me crazy. Hopefully a character that has to go is Pichu and Mr. Game & Watch (or make him better).

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Mr. Game and watch is good if you know how to use him. I strongly doubt that they will get rid of anyone besides clones.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
It's awesome coming back from two weeks of vacation and being able to immediately catch up on anything I've missed. :) It's a shame he won't be updating much anymore, but so it goes. Thanks again to SamuraiPanda for letting us in on what the Far East was supposedly getting exclusively. :)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
'Twas my pleasure.

Just so you guys know, I added my FAQ to the SSBB Wikipedia page. If anybody feels like changing the format so it looks prettier, feel free.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Great job on the article McFox. I actually enjoyed reading all the stuff I translated again ^_^

For some reason, people keep deleting my translations from the wiki page. What is their problem?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
"Sorry, but we'll have to wait til a reliable source translates that. And in its current form it's not encyclopedic anyway"

I give up. I don't want to convince them of accuracy, and I don't feel like making it look like an encyclopedia. If anybody wants to do it and give themselves some credit, go right ahead. Could just edit McFox's article a bit...

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I don't believe Wikipedia is worth your time, SP...Even if you prove it (and a few highly respected video game news sites post it and accept it) there's still gonna be some disgruntled idiot on Wiki that'll take it down despite it having every basis in the world.

Maybe they'll let a link to this thread get posted in the link section. Ya know, say it's speculation on a possible translation of Sakurai's comments. (And have the mods delete these posts about it so they don't get even more pissy...)

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Meh, if the fools at Wikipedia don't want the information, fine. We've got the information for our members here in this topic and on our new topsite.

Aiser

Smash Lord
wow alot of those discussions on wiki is full of douche baggery. doesn't really matter like mcfox said if they don't want the info fine..=\

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
so wiki are removing it? **** them, I thought they were good. Just link them to the website and tell them to translate it. Also call them aggrevatingly untrustworthy, then when they add it, post a quick, told you so.

Top Bottom