• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
Whoo. Many thanks to Samurai Panda....

On another note, I would absolutely love to see Kirby with a five o' clock shadow.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Everybody,stop trying to "win the poll" with great thanks to samuraipanda.I believe kirby's copied version of snake will be something like that avatar of rambo jiggly.OH,AND IF YOU THINK JESUS IS ALMIGHTY,LET HIM FIGHT CHUCK NORRIS!!!!!!!!!
WATCH VID IN SIG!!!!

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Firestorm88 said:
SamuraiPanda, tu eres freakin' awesome =D
Fix'd. Sorry, that irks me.

Falco&Victory said:
Everybody,stop trying to "win the poll" with great thanks to samuraipanda.I believe kirby's copied version of snake will be something like that avatar of rambo jiggly.OH,AND IF YOU THINK JESUS IS ALMIGHTY,LET HIM FIGHT CHUCK NORRIS!!!!!!!!!
WATCH VID IN SIG!!!!
Pity Jesus isn't in Ultimate Showdown. Sammy Jackson and the snakes are, though! :laugh:

Ronike

Smash Ace
Sammy Jackson = Samuel Jackson = Mace Windu!
Not sure which role of his is being played in Ultimate Showdown though.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
He's in the movie, but the song doesn't mention him. One of the first things shown during the second chorus (along with Mario slap-fighting Sonic and Santa getting flattened by the DeLorean) is Samuel L. Jackson getting mauled by a bunch of snakes.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Oh,that's original,a French person calling an American stupid.We are ever so sorry we saved your @$$es on 3 seperate occasions,that is not including our economic help.Also,sorry for inspiring french independence jack@$$.(Sorry,i've been waiting to say that to a french person for months)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
America sucks. France sucks. World sucks. Now stop bickering. It's a shame what this thread has come to.

Thanks Panda for all you've done. Look forward to your work in the future. We greatly appreciate it.

burrito

Smash Lord
Ronike said:
Sammy Jackson = Samuel Jackson = Mace Windu!
Not sure which role of his is being played in Ultimate Showdown though.
It's mother****ing snakes on a mother****ing plane.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Rep is the SWF Coolometer. And right now McFox has 11 MegaFonzies. but down count on getting too much, the core reactor is located in the Broom. Be careful though, to not be too awesome; too much exposure to rep can make you sterile.

And wow, this topic went to hell rather quickly. Everyone thanks Panda for his translations and doesn't even discuss the very things he's translated. That's a little sad IMO.

Anyway, Panda, It's been a good ride. Thanks for your hard work; that information kept me enlightened and joyful. Oh, and just out of curiosity, what's up with the numbers 15 and 30 in the same comment about Kriby's copy ability? [It shows up on Google translator]

Also I hope you've already gotten a quasi-addiction, because it'd be nice to see you around.

Walan

Smash Rookie
So, back to the subject of the translations, I noticed that there's a new gray text box (well, new to me, anyway) on the main page of the Japanese Brawl site. It's right under Sakuari's introduction from 5/11. Is this important, or is it just another message that the site won't update until 2007?

Edit: Never mind, it's right in SamuriPanda's first post. I forgot the golden rule: read before you post.

Luiginater

Smash Apprentice
Walan said:
So, back to the subject of the translations, I noticed that there's a new gray text box (well, new to me, anyway) on the main page of the Japanese Brawl site. It's right under Sakuari's introduction from 5/11. Is this important, or is it just another message that the site won't update until 2007?

Edit: Never mind, it's right in SamuriPanda's first post. I forgot the golden rule: read before you post.

Anyway he's not taking anymore

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Falco&Victory said:
Oh,that's original,a French person calling an American stupid.We are ever so sorry we saved your @$$es on 3 seperate occasions,that is not including our economic help.Also,sorry for inspiring french independence jack@$$.(Sorry,i've been waiting to say that to a french person for months)
"Crazy American >_>" is not calling Americans stupid in any way. The little emoticon in particular should have alerted you to the fact that I was kidding about that comment. However, you did prove your own stupidity by calling me French and completely ignoring the fact that I live in Vancouver, BC which is located in Canada. French is an official language in Canada.

Also, since you seem to want to take responsibility for everything Americans did. Thank you for trying to invade our country during the American Revolution and War of 1812. Thank you for breaking our free trade agreement. Thank you for making it even harder for us to enjoy a vacation in the states with your paranoid border security.

Sheesh. Make one casual comment and have a kid go all nationalist on you.

Oh and:
samuraipanda_rep++;

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Firestorm88, ignore what people who are prejudice say. This definetly isn't the place to be talking about that sort of stuff anyway.

nomis

Smash Journeyman
Firestorm88 said:
Also, since you seem to want to take responsibility for everything Americans did. Thank you for trying to invade our country during the American Revolution and War of 1812. Thank you for breaking our free trade agreement. Thank you for making it even harder for us to enjoy a vacation in the states with your paranoid border security.

Sheesh. Make one casual comment and have a kid go all nationalist on you.
Don't forget that we got France in an economic depression after they helped us in the Revolutionary War.

And thanks, Panda. You have done us a great deed.

Unless everything you've 'translated' is an elaborate scam to work us up.

If so, then d*** you. D*** you to hell!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
nomis said:
Unless everything you've 'translated' is an elaborate scam to work us up.

If so, then d*** you. D*** you to hell!
I've been discovered! Now I will have to kill you before you tell the others.

bizybozo

Smash Journeyman
samurai_panda_owns.com

its that simple.

funny to think that u've prolly devoted much more time and useful information for the boards, but because al ur posts have merely been updates of one thread, ur still a "smash noob" - u should be given a diamond account purely for the ownage u provide. again, thank u for quelling all of our need for brawl info.

btw, wut does it mean when u put

"31-40"
"41-50"

etc. -?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
bizybozo said:
samurai_panda_owns.com

its that simple.

funny to think that u've prolly devoted much more time and useful information for the boards, but because al ur posts have merely been updates of one thread, ur still a "smash noob" - u should be given a diamond account purely for the ownage u provide. again, thank u for quelling all of our need for brawl info.

btw, wut does it mean when u put

"31-40"
"41-50"

etc. -?
Thanks ^_^

Those are the email numbers. When I put #31-40, that means on the site, Sakurai posted 10 new emails, and at the bottom of the new page he responds to one. So if you look at the link I provided in the beginning, you'd see the list of emails, and what I translate is the only real information (the character list is purely speculation) which is Sakurai's single resposne every update.

Rosseh!

Smash Rookie
Wow, some great info thanks a lot. How long have you been doing Japanese? I've almost finished my first year and it's a little hard, I need to practice forming sentences.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
#171-180: In this update, Sakurai basically just says that since Smash Bros is popular throughout the world, he can't just use characters that are only popular in Japan. But then he brings up that it worked for the Fire Emblem characters. Once, a black man (yes, he said that) thanked Sakurai for creating Roy just for him.
Ooookay.

Anyway, SP, you rock. If I've seen any one thing on this site that warrants BRoom membership, this is it, imo, and you have a sense of humor, which many people seem be to direly lacking on this site. If you don't mind my asking, though, where did you learn Japanese, i.e., what are your credentials for translating this? I'm also curious partly because you recongnized Japanese slang, apparently.

Chaps, you're right, Kirby with peachfuzz would be really funny; and Falco&Victory, if you're still checking this, I've got something hopefully pretty good to post about the speed being moderated, which I hope wasn't posted yet (because I'm not reading all 58 pages), so if you're so desperate to argue, I'll post it tomorrow when I have more time.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Actually, quite a few people have asked me about my history with Japanese, so I guess I might as well tell ya'll, eh?

Short version: I taught myself by watching way too much anime.

Slightly longer version: I started watching subtitled anime during the summer before 7th grade. It soon grew into an addiction, and by highschool, I could speak decently. Lucky for me, my HS decided to start letting freshman take Japanese 1, so I took the class. Unfortunatly, the teacher was actually the French teacher and she didn't know Japanese very well. In the four years I took Japanese in HS, I taught my teacher more than she taught me, but the one thing I went away with from the class was the knowledge of Japanese grammar and how to read/write the symbols.

In my Junior year of HS, I visited Japan and had to translate for my teacher as she learned through a book while I learned through anime, which is why I can recognize Japanese slang and why I have a thorough knowledge of the effects of culture on their speaking habits. In my Senior year, I started watching anime with absolutely no subtitles and I could understand it fluently.

When I came to the University of Michigan, I was the only one from my HS Japanese class to pass through the first year class by taking the placement exam. I still remember the teacher telling me that I was borderline, and if I took 2nd year Japanese, I would struggle to get a B. I ended up with one of the highest grades in the class.

As for the future... I plan to double major in Japanese studies and Neurobiology. I'm planning on premed, but lately I've been doubting my desire to become a doctor. However, I do plan on studying in the Harvard of Japan, Tokyo University, on a study abroad program sometime after I take my MCATs.

And I think that just about covers everything. Holy crap, it looks like I wrote a biography about myself O_o

Nite

Smash Champion
SamuraiPanda said:
#1-10: Congratulating someone for getting married and having a kid due to a Melee tourny
That is awesome. Pit's voice being the voice of Conan the Detective is cool too.

Thanks for all of the info SamuraiPanda.

You should change your name to SakuraiPanda. Lol.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I was a little afraid you'd say that, SP, but don't take it the wrong way, my little brother is very into anime and manga, so it doesn't take much imagination to know what you're talking about. It does help with understanding the culture, though, because of how much a culture's entertainment can tell you about itself, and how much language and culture influence each other definitely plays a role, also. But the formal classes help too, like you said. I'd like to go to Japan someday also, to see for myself all the different things I've heard about it, if not just for the heck of it. All right, sorry, back on topic...

Regarding the speed being moderated, I don't think that the overall game will be much slower, like some people are worried it will be slowed back down to SSB. The trailer moves faster than that, not to mention how fast Link moves. I know it's only a trailer, that could be Link's super move, but just bear with me. The word "moderated", or "moderation", I will bet anyone ten dollars has the same root word as "mode". Anyone who made it past seventh grade math knows that the mode in a group of numbers is the number that appears most often. So if you gave each char an overall speed rating, Fox is the fastest at 15, and (I don't know off the top of my head who the slowest is, just say) Bowser is slowest at 1, and the majority (say, Marth down to Link, just as a rough guess), fall between 10 and 5. By this line of reasoning, then, the game being "moderated" would mean that there will be smaller differences between the speed of the fastest and slowest char, and probably most of all between the fastest and slowest. Despite being stronger, some chars were at a beginning disadvantage by being slower, and therefore were often less popular, so making the differences smaller would probably mean a more diverse metagame. Balance issues would probably mean that the strength stats would be moderated similarly, which could decrease variety in the chars. I realize that since this was translated from Japanese I could be way off, but I think it might be just what Sakurai was talking about. Math is the same whatever language you speak. So if someone wants to debate, I'm all ears.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
blaksheap82 said:
I was a little afraid you'd say that, SP, but don't take it the wrong way, my little brother is very into anime and manga, so it doesn't take much imagination to know what you're talking about. It does help with understanding the culture, though, because of how much a culture's entertainment can tell you about itself, and how much language and culture influence each other definitely plays a role, also. But the formal classes help too, like you said. I'd like to go to Japan someday also, to see for myself all the different things I've heard about it, if not just for the heck of it. All right, sorry, back on topic...
In terms of knowing the culture, my 'expertise' is lightyears beyond just simple anime. Among other reasons, I'm majoring in Japanese studies, not just Japanese ^_^

And as for your comments about moderation... unfortunatly, we don't know if Sakurai decided to overhaul the aerial combat (thus maybe slowing it down) after they made that, but due to the similarities the trailer had to SSBM, I'm going to guess that they started doing this after the trailer was made.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Yeah, I've always been mildly intrigued by Asian culture, but not to where I'd major in it. Probably currently working in a Chinese resturant is the closest I'll come.

But what I said about the moderated speed wasn't referring to aerial combat (although it would definitely factor into it), I was referring to the chars' individual stats. Unless that's all Sakurai was referring to, and I just somehow against all odds missed the entire point of it. Aerial combat is more about priority than speed, that's why I'm a little thrown off by how most people seem to be relating or even equating the statements about moderated speed with an overhauled aerial combat system.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Well, if you read the original translation, Sakurai said that BECAUSE they are making aerial combat more viable the speed MIGHT change.

Actually, this kinda reminds me of something. I've been thinking about this for awhile... should I make a section where I, the translator, interpret Sakurai's statements? Cause alot of people on several boards are OMG!ing over the speed, but like I said before, the statement is tied with aerial combat, and Sakurai specifically said the speed MIGHT be changed.

I'd probably just interpret the major points that people debate. And the earliest I'd write this is Friday night, after my final exam ^_^

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
It's funny looking in other threads or other boards because people just take a quick glance at something you've translated and overreact, like with the speed thing. There was also where someone said about that lie with which chars were entering and which were going (Y.Link replaced by wind waker, you know that one) and as soon as that was poste, despite the fact we all said it was BS, people posted it on other threads JUST because it was in this thread so therefore must be true, they were going "OMG LOOK THEY'RE REMOVING ICE CLIMBERS", and even then after i'd said it was a lie there someone ignored me and quoted it saying "WHAT? IS THIS TRUE??" Just shows how overreactive people are, and how much trust they put in your thread.

Top Bottom