• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Salute To The Flags: The Hitbox Flag Directory (upd. Jul 23 '13)

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
In the special collisions, I have a hunch that something in the first two bytes digits controls who it targets.

I was examining floating points for articles that can damage the user. ((Toon) Link's bombs, Snake's C4/Mine I think are the only ones. Samus's Bombs don't count. Snake's C4/Mine are the only ones I could access until more offsets are found) I found that both these had a special collision associated with them, unlike Snake's Nikita and Mortar, both of which cause explosions but don't hurt him.

So, swapping his set of flags with that of Link's Gale boomerang, I sort of solved his recovery problem. Now I just need to make it so he doesn't flinch and only gets wind from it. :bee:

EDIT: Bit 4 DEFINITELY has something to do with vulnerability to your own hitbox. Setting it to 1 seems do the trick for windboxes, at least.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
If you're exploring vulnurability to own hitboxes, I suggest using the Ice Climbers as the dummy character. It will be much easier to test that way.

shanus

Smash Hero
you can also explore the TEAM 22XXXXXX functions in common3.pac items as a method to make hitboxes / articles / items collidable or self-damaging

Toomai

Smash Ace
Going over those explosives you mentioned, I'm seeing an interesting pattern. Snake's down smash mine and C4 both have bit 4 set. On the other hand, it seems that self-damaging items (Bob-ombs, Deku Nuts, etc) and things that have to be considered items instead of articles so other people can pick them up (Snake's grenades, both Links' bombs) use the command 22000100 (-1) instead.

So yeah, it sure looks to be the case that bit 4 of special collisions is self-suspectibility. That said, it apparently works differently than removing team affiliation (I'm guessing the 22000100 command sets the team to -1, or none).

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
If you're exploring vulnurability to own hitboxes, I suggest using the Ice Climbers as the dummy character. It will be much easier to test that way.
you can also explore the TEAM 22XXXXXX functions in common3.pac items as a method to make hitboxes / articles / items collidable or self-damaging
Woah there, I'm not some brilliant hacker or anything. I just know how to edit files in PSA and count in hex/binary. I kinda just downloaded MeowMix's pack of Fit___.pac files. It's just a fluke that I found what it did, really.

Just popping in to say that it's self-susceptibility, not self-suspectibility... you're not suspecting yourself of anything, and suspectability isn't a word. :p

Otherwise really neat stuff here.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Somehow I'm not too surprised I made that mistake - I used to pronounce "specific" as "sespific".

Though "suspectability" is "the ability to be suspected" and is probably at least a half-word. :p

Higure Hokousha

Smash Rookie
Hai just tried the new program and it works okay.
But I can't download the mediafire link in that post, it just takes me right to my mediafire user page =_=;
Oops...I put in the wrong link. It should work now. My first post and the thread's second post, however, are now invalid. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Oops...I put in the wrong link. It should work now. My first post and the thread's second post, however, are now invalid. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Fixed.

Also put up two more special hitbox bits - one I'm 99% sure on (Flinchless), and another that makes sense but has an anomaly (Grippy).

Toomai

Smash Ace
Canadians do that too <_< >_>
Actually, Canadians on the whole use all three systems (day first, month first, year first).

Also: minor update, adding more sound IDs, and elaborating on which bits are unknown and which ones seem just unused.

Higure Hokousha

Smash Rookie
Hitbox Flag Maker has been updated.

New Features:

-It can Save and Load Hitboxes.
-You can manually enter and Load Hex values in the Load window. This is useful for analyzing hitboxes found in PSA.
-It has been updated with the flags discovered since the last update.
-It has a direct link to this thread if you click "More Info..." in the menu bar. (If this is a problem for some reason, then I will remove it if needed.)

Problems:
-It obviously can't handle any of the Flags perfectly, seeing as there are still unknowns. It does, however, default to known value examples for unknown flags.
-Some features are still in Beta. It may give you an error when loading a hitbox. It does, however, work most of the time. The next release will hopefully fix this.

PM me if you experience problems with the interface, bugs, or incorrect values.

Enjoy!

Edit: Values are from prior to February 3. The new lists will be included in the next update.

mario6420072

Smash Cadet
I have found an interesting flag: 620FFFD0
If you put that in the second undefined parameter of Special Offensive Collisions your attacks can damage starman users, characters with body collision: invincible and even Warioman!
I have found that flag in Isaac's Hand Attack but I've modified it a little. Sorry but I had no time to research what bit is the responsible of that effect.

mario6420072

Smash Cadet
Another bit effect discovered!

UPDATE!

SPECIAL HITBOXES bit:

Bit 7: Invincibility Breaker: If this bit is set to 1 you can hurt starman users, characters with body collision state: invincible and even Warioman!

I've also found out that bit 13 have to be always 1 because if it's 0 the hitbox seems to be useless.

Note: At least bits 13 and 26 have to be activated in order to get this working (If they weren't activated you wouldn't be able to hurt the other smashers)

MetroidMaster1

Smash Apprentice
No, Flagger is an older program. It's a flash program. Mine is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?e92t4p25bnj3uxv

It requires the .net framework.
Can you give a new sound and graphics ID list for your flag maker program? I used this list here with your program and I got a completely different sound. (I got the strong burn sound when I had put the strong magic shock sound as the sound bit)

Or should I just use hex numbers instead of decimal?

mario6420072

Smash Cadet
Are there any moves in the game with bit 7 activated?
It is set to 1 in Isaac's hand attack (I used OpenSA 2 to see that Special Offensive Collision opening ItmRobinShotParam.pac). AFAIK it's the only Special Offensive Collision with this bit set (maybe Tabuu's cannon attack have this bit set to 1 because it can hurt Warioman)

Toomai

Smash Ace
I'm not 100% sold on this one, but I will look into it.

The main reason I'm not convinced is because Puff Up has two parts that seem to push invincible opponents, but only one of those two parts has bit 7 set.

The only other hitbox among characters that has bit 7 set is the part of Critical Hit that tells Marth when he's dashed into someone and should swing.

mario6420072

Smash Cadet
I'm not 100% sold on this one, but I will look into it.

The main reason I'm not convinced is because Puff Up has two parts that seem to push invincible opponents, but only one of those two parts has bit 7 set.

The only other hitbox among characters that has bit 7 set is the part of Critical Hit that tells Marth when he's dashed into someone and should swing.
I've just tested it with an Special Offensive Collision:

rawest flag with invincible breaker (with bits 7, 13, 26 activated) : 02080040
(binary: 0000 0010 0000 1000 0000 0000 0100 0000)
And it can hurt starman users

rawest flag without invincible breaker (with bits 13, 26 activated): 00080040
(binary: 0000 0000 0000 1000 0000 0000 0100 0000)
And now it can't hurt starman users

EDIT: If you use 260F0040 (Marth FS Dash flag) you can hurt invincible rivals too
Same with Jiggly's FinalStartL flag (F60FFFC0), but this is odd: it can hurt starman users but it make a windy effect on the rival (like a Borboras blowing effect)

EDIT 2: It isn't strange, the reason of jigg's oddity is that bit 1 is activated (the responsible of that FLUDD or wind like effect)

Higure Hokousha

Smash Rookie
Can you give a new sound and graphics ID list for your flag maker program? I used this list here with your program and I got a completely different sound. (I got the strong burn sound when I had put the strong magic shock sound as the sound bit)

Or should I just use hex numbers instead of decimal?

The list was copied in entirety from the thread. The only changes were the addition of 'empty slots' for future discoveries. It's safest to simply select it via the combobox's drop-down menu, rather than attempting to type in the number manually.

In order to let me help you further, I would appreciate it if you would PM me a screenshot of the open program while you have your Hitbox set up, along with any further questions. This will make it easier for me to determine possible causes for your problem.
----
The list itself will be updated in the next release. This should be in the next few days when I add the anti-invincibility bit.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Alright guys, I think I found out what special bit 28 does. When set, it turns a hitbox's position into a stretch. You know how hurtboxes are stretched spheres? By setting bit 28 of special hitboxes you get the same effect. You can't move a hitbox if you stretch it, since it uses the position values as the stretch values instead.

Or to put it another way - By setting special bit 28, a hitbox will cover all the ground between its position and the bone it's attached to.

(I still have yet to personally confirm special bit 4 as piercing but that's because I've been focusing on other things.)

MetroidMaster1

Smash Apprentice
Alright guys, I think I found out what special bit 28 does. When set, it turns a hitbox's position into a stretch. You know how hurtboxes are stretched spheres? By setting bit 28 of special hitboxes you get the same effect. You can't move a hitbox if you stretch it, since it uses the position values as the stretch values instead.

Or to put it another way - By setting special bit 28, a hitbox will cover all the ground between its position and the bone it's attached to.

(I still have yet to personally confirm special bit 4 as piercing but that's because I've been focusing on other things.)
Will you add this to the flagger flash file (the one that opens up with your web browser) or the flagmaker program please? Cause the use of this bit would REALLY make giving my kakashi a Chidori spear MUCH easier.

Also, does it stretch in just one direction, as in along the horazontal position? or does it stretch the whole thing.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Will you add this to the flagger flash file (the one that opens up with your web browser) or the flagmaker program please? Cause the use of this bit would REALLY make giving my kakashi a Chidori spear MUCH easier.

Also, does it stretch in just one direction, as in along the horazontal position? or does it stretch the whole thing.
Those aren't my programs; you'll have to wait for those people to catch up.

I think the stretching happens in just one direction, with that direction being the line between the [x,y,z] position of the hitbox and the bone the hitbox is attached to (as if it were at [0,0,0]). So if you give it a position of [2,5,0] and make it stretch, it would be as if there were a hitbox at every position along the line from [0,0,0] to [2,5,0].

It's possible it works in a different way, but that's rather unlikely in my opinion so I won't confuse anyone by explaining it here (if you're interested go to the hurtbox topic and read the bit about stretching there).

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Why hasn't this been stickied or something? It's super helpful. Although I think it may be more appropriate to add the hexidecimal values as well as the decimal ones for each of the flags. For a second, I was confused for a moment when you said that Darkness value was 19, when in fact what you need to type is 13.

NoAh MenQui

Smash Apprentice
I want to make a javascript app for this stuff soon.
this will save me the time of doing the soft work into auto ;)

I studied Computer Math and this is kind of easy, takes time at first but easy

but your java thing might help everyone who doesn't understand this ;)

Toomai

Smash Ace
Well surprise surprise, I found out what bit 3 is. It's whether the hitbox is Special:Indirect or not.

I'm sure some people care.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Minor/major update. Turns out that sound isn't eight bits - it's five bits and two bits (with a blank spot in between), one to denote the type of sound (punch, kick, slash, burn, etc) and the other to denote its size (small, medium, large, huge). This explains the patterns in the old system's sound values and also fits in with the other two games.

Higure Hokousha

Smash Rookie
PSA Assistant now features the recent sound update. It also includes a couple other minor changes. If any errors appear, PM me

Toomai

Smash Ace
Well so it's been a while since I even logged in here, so heads up.

Found the bit in Melee that controls whether moves rebound on clang. Compared it to the only remaining unknown bit here in Brawl, and hey, it looks almost identical. Too bad the mechanic appears to just not work. (Compare two Fox f-smashes colliding in both games. and know that they share the same clang and rebound flags in both.)

So yeah, an actual update. Yowzers.

Top Bottom