• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai's Surprise: Sticker Shocker

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
Well that was unexpected. Out of all the thing possible to be used as powerups in Suspace Emissery, I don't think anyone had said stickers. Sounds like a interesting rpg element to try out.

Sakurai will proabily be sad when the game finally comes out as he won't be able to mindgame us anymore.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
no I really don't want it to be in VS mode it would change to much of the game that we know and love.
That's why it would be an option. lol.

It could work as well as handicaps, really. Your opponent's using Meta Knight and can't knock you off? Boost up his knockback.

I would love that. Just for the DBZ:BT feel.

ExtremeBrawler

Smash Cadet
SAKURAI HAS OWNED UUUSSSSS!!!XDXDXD

Everyone(also me)thought the stickers were useless,stupid and something else,but today we've discovered they will have a very important role in SSE...

People:Sitckers as implements for characters?!?Brawl adventure as a RPG?!?But...this is madness...
Sakurai:No...THIS...IS...BRAWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLL!!!

:psycho::chuckle::chuckle:

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
A big thing I'm wondering is if characters shown as a sticker are deconfirmed or not. The "biggest" non-confirmed character as a sticker is Bowser Jr... so I don't know. A lot of people were expecting him.
Yes, you're right! Just like it deconfirms Cook Kirby... oh. Right. It doesn't.

Konwukulups

Smash Cadet
I'm with the people who say this reminds them of Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2. I didn't really like the power-ups in that game because they were bland and just seemed to cheapen the fights. I'm glad that stickers are restricted to SSE and I have faith in the brawl team, but it still has me worried.

jayssite

Smash Rookie
Notice the 3 % Clear after 1 level is done. That means SE likely has THIRTY THREE LEVELS.

OMG this update is so full of win it's not even funny. Stickers are no longer some useless, tacked-on update. They're yet ANOTHER new, innovative feature to this series.
Nah, that percentage might reflect other things too. A lot of games have low %complete after you've beaten all levels.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Cool update, but the stickers revealed so far have me jittery for both Mona and Krystal. A touch of Bowser Jr. too I think, but I don't want him as much.

Also, what use has Kirby for Fire Attack? I guess Slash attack would be useful in his final cutter. Putting on a sticker that only affects one of your many attacks sounds like a waste though.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
So this is the power up he was mentioning... stickers...

Now this has an RPG feel with enhancing attacks and defenses. Interesting, adds more depth to the game to me.

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
Cool update, but the stickers revealed so far have me jittery for both Mona and Krystal. A touch of Bowser Jr. too I think, but I don't want him as much.

Also, what use has Kirby for Fire Attack? I guess Slash attack would be useful in his final cutter. Putting on a sticker that only affects one of your many attacks sounds like a waste though.
Read the update again. It said flat out that some stickers only pertain to certain characters. So a fire booster wouldn't go on Kirby, probably only characters like Link or Bowser.

I think this a great update for those people that aren't all that skilled at the game. Supposedly, there are things that can only be unlocked by beating things on hard or intense in the SSE. If that is the case, people will be able to use these stickers to help them unlock things. Remember, not everyone who is going to buy this game is going to be great at it.

I hate to use items in any game, so I probably won't be using the stickers. I do like collecting though, so I'll still strive to finish off the collection. But as I have said before with some other updates, just having the OPTION to be able to do this is a neat little trick.

And it there was a special type of versus mode that used stickers (not online, only local in a special versus type), but you didn't lose them for losing the match, I might play that now and then since everyone will basically be on steroids and packing a whole lot more punch.

Solid update, and a good one to call my last. I decided yesterday that these updates are starting to spill everything. So starting Monday, I won't be looking at them anymore. Probably will be my last SMYN as well, unless they suddenly get some spoilers to unveil.

Oh game, please come out. I want you so badly...

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Why are you worried? It's not as though the stickers confirm or deconfirm anything.

zerodownhm

Smash Apprentice
I'm still wondering why is there a sticker with a black border, I mean, look who it is on the sticker, it wouldn't surprise me if he was announced next week as a new character. Then again, it might just be a rare.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Read the update again. It said flat out that some stickers only pertain to certain characters. So a fire booster wouldn't go on Kirby, probably only characters like Link or Bowser.

I think this a great update for those people that aren't all that skilled at the game. Supposedly, there are things that can only be unlocked by beating things on hard or intense in the SSE. If that is the case, people will be able to use these stickers to help them unlock things. Remember, not everyone who is going to buy this game is going to be great at it.

I hate to use items in any game, so I probably won't be using the stickers. I do like collecting though, so I'll still strive to finish off the collection. But as I have said before with some other updates, just having the OPTION to be able to do this is a neat little trick.

And it there was a special type of versus mode that used stickers (not online, only local in a special versus type), but you didn't lose them for losing the match, I might play that now and then since everyone will basically be on steroids and packing a whole lot more punch.
Well, look at this screen

It says there under Kirby that he's applying Fire and even Electrical attack. Seems like the sticker guy isn't too wise. Anyway, it will be interesting seeing what type of builds have the best effect in SSE mode.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Well, look at this screen

It says there under Kirby that he's applying Fire and even Electrical attack. Seems like the sticker guy isn't too wise. Anyway, it will be interesting seeing what type of builds have the best effect in SSE mode.
Actually, that's not such a bad move for Kirby. Swallow Bowser/Mario/Snake/ use Cook Power: Fire Attack. Swallow Pikachu: Electrical Attack. Swallow Olimar: both.

DQP

Smash Ace
whoa

all of the sudden, brawl is an rpg... it seems kinda like pokemon, with stat-raising and all...

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Why do people still believe stickers and trophies can deconfirm a character? if this was true all characters would be non-playable.

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
A big thing I'm wondering is if characters shown as a sticker are deconfirmed or not. The "biggest" non-confirmed character as a sticker is Bowser Jr... so I don't know. A lot of people were expecting him.
Wario has stickers, so no, sticker =/= deconfirmed

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
Previously, I had been certain that the bar on the left side of the screen in SSE was the "method of powering up", so this update really caught me by surprise! I'm really excited to try it out, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a special versus mode that let you use stickers.

It does leave me wondering what that bar is for. You know, the bar with the smash emblems?

W-what could it be?

PITforREV

Smash Journeyman
I odn't like this...Why can't stickers just be used for llike, decorating the menu's or something...This is smash, it's not an rpg...I odn't want to spend my time figuring out which stickers will help most, and then losing htem and havign to collect them again...I just don't like, seems a little forced.

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
I odn't like this...Why can't stickers just be used for llike, decorating the menu's or something...This is smash, it's not an rpg...I odn't want to spend my time figuring out which stickers will help most, and then losing htem and havign to collect them again...I just don't like, seems a little forced.
Then...Don't...Use Them, Maybe?

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
I really hope they have stickers that do other things than just raise abilities. Ex. use your double jump twice, stronger shield, roll further, attacks are faster, heal damage when you K.O. someone, clouds don't dissipate if you stand on them too long. ect.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Eh, then just don't use the stickers if ya don't want to use them. It's not like you'll need to power up to finish the game, I just like the fact that the option is there.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Thou i don't quite get why you can't add stickers to the statue
anyway this is the wtf update i was w8in for

Kashakunaki

Smash Master

Also, who is this...?

The one with x4? He's the only sticker I can't identify...
I know this has been answered... but I really want to do this,

"Fool! I am the great Leon!"

It's Leon Powalski, to be exact, from Star Fox: Assault. *hopes he is a playable character*

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's a very cool feature and I'm sure I'll be using it from time to time.

Nobody could have predicted this, not even the prophets who "have inside information" didn't predict it. Which means we can be safe in th knowledge that alot more suprizes will be found along the way! :grin:

Mckillyou

Smash Journeyman
I had completely forgotten about stickers....

Hopefully theres stickers that increase speed. *cough*Ike*cough*

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
I am actually REALLY glad to hear about this feature. RPG's are my favorite genre of video games (Yes, I like them better than fighting games, even though Smash64 is my favorite game), so I'll probably spend hours customizing my character to his/her fullest potential.

mrbiz

Smash Rookie
Additionally this image:

Confirms that you can save as you go along, whereas normally smash bros games use auto save. Further demonstrating the scale of the SSE.

It also shows how player two can just join in at random like in an arcade game, which was sort of obvious but never confirmed.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if different characters will have different stand sizes. Doubtful but Bowser would have some great potential if that were the case. Maybe a sticker or some thing else can be used to increase your base size. "Level 99 Pikachu vs. Level 4 Mario." And also since stickers will be so abundant if there is a special vs mode allowing sticker use and a way to transport customized characters I think it would be quite interesting to see the tourney scene adopt to using Sticker Mode with certain rules so things don't get out of hand. Would promote individual styles and if one could switch things up (Say from an offensively focused Pikachu to a speed focused one to a defense focused one) that would further increase mind games and could leave an opponent guessing as to which style will be used. As is even with in the same character individual styles emerge and it's those individual styles coupled with skill that make the tournament fights interesting. Using the Sticker Mode would further enhance the individual style aspect and would be quite intriguing. You could have a fight between two Kirby users and they'd play completely different. One could focus on Kirby's pre-existant moves while the other focuses on a single move (Most likely inhale and that would lead to the type of customization seen in the update).

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Actually, that's not such a bad move for Kirby. Swallow Bowser/Mario/Snake/ use Cook Power: Fire Attack. Swallow Pikachu: Electrical Attack. Swallow Olimar: both.
That's the thing though, how often do you think you'll get to swallow other characters in the midst of SSE mode? Or use final smashes? (I don't think we've seen any evidence of SSE Final Smashes)

If you can truly only use sticker enhancements in SSE, I'd think it would be better to focus on Kirby's feet since he uses them with almost all of his attacks, including now his dash attack.

But if theres a special Brawl mode that lets you use sticker powerups, then yes, a Kirby with various buffs to elemental attributes could be beneficial.

I'd think everyone would need launch resist (that will keep them alive) but I don't see the importance of launch enhancing, because you're trying to chip away at a lifebar for most enemies, not knock them off the stage.

It also begs the question: How will we figure out what "element" attacks are? For instance, is Marios Fsmash fire, "arm", or both?

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
I'll probebly spend more time than i should messing with them, but since they don't stack, then it'll just be a few random powerups. I wonder though if we'll be able to use this for some sort of formula based damage or get any good numbers from this and be able to quantify character stats even better.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Sakurai has turned one of the worst updates into one of the most interesting ones by adding an RPG element to them. Looks like it's good to catch them all!!

Top Bottom