• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai wasn't very creative with Sonic's moveset.

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
B: Roll into a ball and spin.
B>: Roll into a ball and spin.
BV: Roll into a ball and spin.
Nair: Roll into a ball and spin.
Dash attack: Roll into a ball and spin.
Up smash: Roll into a ball and spin.
Down smash: Roll into a ball and spin.
Down throw: Roll into a ball and spin.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Neither was SEGA.

>, v - roll into a ball and spin (aka dash attack)
v A, A, A... - roll into a ball and spin (aka down B)
v B, B, B... - roll into a ball and spin (aka down B)
v C, C, C... - roll into a ball and spin (aka down B)
A, B, C - roll into a ball and spin. (aka jump/n-air)

...anyway, the whole rolling into a ball thing works in Sonic's favor against people who aren't used to fighting him.

ps.

failthread is fail

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
The forward special is really the only one that bothers me. Sonic is known for the spin dash, and if you remember from the old (read: good) games, he did pretty much just spin. He's probably the most faithful to his game out of all the cast.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
The forward special is really the only one that bothers me. Sonic is known for the spin dash, and if you remember from the old (read: good) games, he did pretty much just spin. He's probably the most faithful to his game out of all the cast.
This.

I think it would be kinda neat if instead of a ball attack for forward b it was a lighting fast input command combo move sorta like marths.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Hm, interesting umby. Which was used more? The horse feces? Or the failure? Compelling arguments exist for both...

Seriously though most of you haters are just being shallow. Sure the attacks look similar but they are all very different and have different applications.

B: Does his shape really matter? This attack is so drastically different from anything ANY character in the game has that I never held it against him.
Down-B: Has a fast release and is good for quickly chasing both on and off the stage.
Side-B: Has a pull back that can be used for mind games and some invincibility frames as well as high priority in the initial hop. Can also be used for infinite jumping and its cancel options add another aspect to Sonic's game.
Nair: It's just an attack that has a wide range and sex-kick properties which is nothing like any of his other "similar" looking attacks.
Dash attack: It's like any normal dash attack...
Up-smash: multi-hit and can spike. Also works weird in hyphen smashing. Pretty useless because of lousy priority but still much different from any other attack Sonic possesses.
Down-smash: Probably would have looked cooler if it was Sonic's break-dance taunt... but still it's obviously different from his other attacks.
Down-throw: It's a throw, who gives a crap what it looks like? Sonic could have been stomping on the other guy's face and it wouldn't have made a difference.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
His forward b could've been a ring throw or something. Maybe it could pull yor opponent toward you chaotix style. The down B could've had the option to hop by tapping jump before releasing.

Ereki

Smash Cadet
He was faithful to almost all of Sonic's old school video games, so either you hated Sonic as a child, or you don't like seeing balls touching your main characters.

I really have no issues with the moves at all, although, a friend of mine thought it would be a cool idea if his Down+B Special could be a shield change, and it alters his abilities, just as it did in Sonic 3. I just shouted 'Broken' in his face.

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
He was faithful to almost all of Sonic's old school video games, so either you hated Sonic as a child, or you don't like seeing balls touching your main characters.

I really have no issues with the moves at all, although, a friend of mine thought it would be a cool idea if his Down+B Special could be a shield change, and it alters his abilities, just as it did in Sonic 3. I just shouted 'Broken' in his face.
Both wrong.

I loved Sonic as a child. And then Sonic Heroes came out.

That blue ******* betrayed me.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
You know frost, I thought of that myself once. But when I think of it, if you give the fastest character in the game a projectile attack you're just asking people to camp with him.

Ereki

Smash Cadet
Both wrong.

Nah, don't mind my comments, really. I just understand those are two reasons people hate me playing Sonic. :p

Also, I do believe Sakurai said he wanted it to be that way, so I think he'd be more original if he wanted to. Hell, he created R.O.B., didn't he?

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys know that many of Sonic's moves that aren't based on spinning are from Virtua Fighter?

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet
The only qualms I have with Sonic are his two B spindashes, but even then they have different uses, with sideB being great for horizontal recovery and down B great fo chasing and offensives. I do wish Sonic had at least a light meteor though. Maybe replace the sideb with the downb and put something like the bounce attack from Adventure 2 for the new downb.

But I'm fairly happy with Sonic, even though that may be because I recently beat Classic Mode on intense using him with three lives.

samper

Smash Cadet
I was personally expecting a kick oriented Fsmash and the little overhead flip kick he has in that sonic battle game. But the more I play with him the the more I like him, so at least he's fun to play as, plus, since the majority of people I know use one of the so called top tiers, it's always fun to mock them when I win.

But yeah, a meteor would have been really nice, he's the only character I'll play as that doesn't have one.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Both wrong.

Consider Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Chronicles as a late "I'm sorry" present from Sega.

Honestly, the only Sonic games I shun are Sonic Labyrinth and Shadow the Hedgehog.

BlueBlood

Smash Rookie
Did you guys know that many of Sonic's moves that aren't based on spinning are from Virtua Fighter?
actually most of sonics moves came from an arcade fighting game called sonic fighters (at least i think that was the name) though im not sure what system it originally came out for i know its on the sonic gems collection for the gamecube.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
actually most of sonics moves came from an arcade fighting game called sonic fighters (at least i think that was the name) though im not sure what system it originally came out for i know its on the sonic gems collection for the gamecube.
Incorrect. In an interview in Nintendo Power, they clearly state that they grabbed Sonic's moves from Virtua Fighter games. Any similarities from Sonic Fighters (or Sonic Championship, whichever you prefer), or Sonic Battle, are purely coincidental.

Also, the only move that I don't like too well is SideB, which surprises me that others prefer it over DownB.

I mean, DownB is more true to Sonic, which is why I love it so much.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
even if they said they grabbed them from Virtual fighter... the game mechanics are so far removed from VF that i can't even say where his moves would come from within that franchise WHEN he does the same moves in a game that he is IN! sonic the fighter.

they say VF, but the facts show no similarities.
they don't say sonic the fighter, but the facts show tons of similarities.

word or proof, you tell me which is more important.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Sonic's moveset taken from VF??? I clearly would guessed Sonic Fighters, especially since it's not like the game never showed its face on the GC.

Let me examine that...

AAA: the standard punch punch kikc combo that many VF fighters had.
Bair: a vicious kick that has VF properties.
Fair: uhhh... I dunno 'bout that one.
Uair: air break dancing... that can come from ANYWHERE...
Dair: that actually reminds me of a VF up+punch attack when a fighter has been grounded.
utilt: that more like a stolen CF move rather than a VF move.
dtilt: standard sweep kick seen in millions of fighting games.
ftilt: now **** what Nintendo said, the ftilt is clearly Sonic's mule kick from Sonic Fighters.

Well, who cares. Sonic's still awesome.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I think this thread is onto something...
Why couldn't down B have been the bounce from SA2? ;_:
Because you could spam it into ultimate damage.

If Sonic had his Bounce Attack, you'd be able to get opponent from 0% to 30% by using it 6 times consecutively, if the Bounce Attack did 5% damage a pop. Of course, knowing the bounce attack, it would do more than just 5% damage...

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
^ lol same avatar

whatever man sonics fun to play your just whining

he was a last minute character so

go cry to your mom

or be sweet with sonic
OBJECTION!

As much as I agree with what you say in that statement, Sonic was NOT a last minute character.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on the 1N74RN37, that they had planned Sonic to be in brawl in the pre-developement stage.

Personally though, I think Sonic's moves fit him just fine.
"sonics move are teh smae!"
That's all Sonic can do anyways,
Of course, I assume he'd have a mean kick, hence the b-air, f-tilt, u-air, and u-tilt of death.
And he has huge hands, so obviously the SAWNICK PAAUWNSH does something
And then he has spines that he can apparently switch between limp and sword-like properties.
I also always thought of him as a breakdancer...
Go figure

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
I've always been confused about Sonic's inclusion in the game. Now people are saying he was slated to be in for awhile, and yet he barely shows up in SSE (wtf I wanted Sonic and Mario to at least acknowledge SOMETHING towards each other.)

And then there's the argument that Sonic's priority is crap because they just threw him in without testing. Sonic's priority really does bother me, it's bad enough that all his moves are weakish, but the priority is just really crippling. Was this intentional, so that Sonic wouldn't dominate the game with his insane speed and pound on everybody? Or was it just a side effect from a possible last-minute inclusion?

Also, I too wish Sonic had a different Side+B and Down+B. Whoever suggested that the two be combined, I heartily agree with. You could hold it Down+B for the Side+B effect, and mash Down+B for the current Down+B effect or something. Personally I think the Flame Shield's dash from Sonic 3 would have been best for his Side+B, with high priority.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I think this thread is onto something...
Why couldn't down B have been the bounce from SA2? ;_:
Because if Bounce Bracelet was a move in Brawl, it'd replace SideB.

Seriously, why ruin Sonic's retro-esque atmosphere in Brawl by ridding yourself of DownB? That's pure Sonic right there.

Also, I think he should've fought Capoeira style, like Eddy from Tekken.

Plus, it would make him top tier. :p

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Sonic wasn't a last minute inclusion >.> He was slated to be in Brawl before they thought of the game - he's that awesome. Saying all of Sonic's moves are the same is like saying that every attack that uses a punch is the same; they use the same method, but the properties are different.

Retro Sonic rules.

Top Bottom