• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai is doing a monthly column on Smash in Game Informer (here's the first one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please don't turn this into a 3DS vs. Wii U thread.

Both languages went gold the same day? **** it NOA!

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
It only seems the case with the characters, arguably the most important part of the game, so it IS a big deal.
Not as big as you make it out to be. The Smash 4 roster is amazing as is. It'll only get better with Mewtwo in the spring. In my opinion, all the roster is missing are the Ice Climbers, Pichu, Young Link, Roytwo (aka Roy from Fire Emblem and Melee), Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pokemon Trainer, and Snake. Then it'd be perfect... until next game. :p

Stages, items, and music are all very important to the series as well and the Wii U version has them in spades.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
*huffs*

If it was released in 2015 we would had mewtwo as non dlc and ice climbers, wolf, lucas, and possible the big 3 with us as playable

If he was willing to face the music of 2015

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
*huffs*

If it was released in 2015 we would had mewtwo as non dlc and ice climbers, wolf, lucas, and possible the big 3 with us as playable

If he was willing to face the music of 2015
Which would've been a horrible move because the Wii U needs it's holiday title, and Smash Bros is the only one that can save the Wii U. They aren't skipping out this holiday.

Be patient, we're still getting Mewtwo in the end and possibly more, nothing has been truly sacrificed. And it isn't really guaranteed if we're getting IC for Smash 4 at all regardless of that outcome.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Why the hell are you guys even acknowledging D-idara? Are you all stupid? Cut it out. Talk about the goddamn Game Informer article.
Im likin those Mii Brawler concepts tho. So cool =w=
inorite? There's no way I would have figured out Sakurai's notes without the figures (even though they were pretty straightforward). It's so cool that every move in the game begins that way, and Sakurai thinks of them all himself. It's also cool that he develops each hitbox himself, but that's already known information.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Why the hell are you guys even acknowledging D-idara? Are you all stupid? Cut it out. Talk about the goddamn Game Informer article.

inorite? There's no way I would have figured out Sakurai's notes without the figures (even though they were pretty straightforward). It's so cool that every move in the game begins that way, and Sakurai thinks of them all himself. It's also cool that he develops each hitbox himself, but that's already known information.
I have a feeling Sakurai watches a lot of kung fu movies because the brawler is almost kungfunish... or is that just me?

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please do not try and instigate unneeded arguments. If you have an issue with a certain user first use the ignore option on your main account.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Please do not try and instigate unneeded arguments. If you have an issue with a certain user first use the ignore option on your main account.
You want me to ignore everyone in this thread? Because I want to stay on topic?

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I didn't know about this. TY for that info! :D

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I would really love it if I could read one entire thread on this site without seeing a post by you complaining about Ridley.
For real! Even I'm a Ridley supporter but it gets really annoying when people are posting Ridley everywhere.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
You want me to ignore everyone in this thread? Because I want to stay on topic?
Everyone here on this topic has been talking about the article. Even D-idara, although coming off a bit extreme and offputting at times, was still referring to things in the article when making his statements. No need to be mean.

In any case, Sakurai has confirmed that the translate sites are pretty terrible going from English to Japanese. Who knows how much butchered Japanese the poor guy has had to sift through?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
It simply happens that Sakurai is not entirely consistent with his principles. Not strange, many men stray readily.
Thanks for the scans, OP!

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I have a feeling Sakurai watches a lot of kung fu movies because the brawler is almost kungfunish... or is that just me?
Makes you wonder if the designers study different martial arts for inspiration and reference. I know movie directors or whatever do that.
Everyone here on this topic has been talking about the article. Even D-idara, although coming off a bit extreme and offputting at times, was still referring to things in the article when making his statements. No need to be mean.

In any case, Sakurai has confirmed that the translate sites are pretty terrible going from English to Japanese. Who knows how much butchered Japanese the poor guy has had to sift through?
If he insists on talking about the same thing forever, Ridley and the 3ds version, I'm going to be mean. And if everyone insists on feeding him, I'm going to be mean. I don't even want to go through this thread to find what was and wasn't off topic.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
This is pretty much just an official translation of his famitsu columns. Still nice to see.

Note the "moving forward" bit. This heavily implies future balance patches.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I really wish this wasn't only going to be four issues long. I'm hoping he says something about DLC (beyond Mewtwo and the Miiverse stage) in one of these articles.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I really wish this wasn't only going to be four issues long. I'm hoping he says something about DLC (beyond Mewtwo and the Miiverse stage) in one of these articles.
He also talked about Modes/Patches anyway. On the other hand, listing a new Mode or bringing back some favorites in some way(or even a new "Special Smash" for all of Smash Run's End Battles) could be fun. But it seems like this'll be past stuff only. Or stuff that'll be released soon via DLC.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Also Star Fox was barely active between Brawl and SSB4. His games barely sell well these days, and the Wii U Star Fox game is unproven (popularity/sales wise), it just barely got into development. So of course having 3 Star Fox characters in the roster would be lower priority.
StarFox 63 3D was sold in 2011, one year before the roster was finalized and Sakurai confirmed that they were researching upcoming games, and the release date for Star Fox for Wii U is 2015, so I'd hardly consider the latest game to be "barely getting into development." Regardless, the fact that Star Fox was indeed active at all post-Brawl makes the judgement that Star Fox doesn't have a future suspect even back then, especially as there was nothing, unlike with the Mother franchise, indicating that there would for sure be no new games in the future.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Can we please get over the character inclusions in SSB4? There's really no point in discussing it any further.

What's done is done. No amount of complaining will change that. All you can really do is wait and see if more DLC happens.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
StarFox 63 3D was sold in 2011, one year before the roster was finalized and Sakurai confirmed that they were researching upcoming games, and the release date for Star Fox for Wii U is 2015, so I'd hardly consider the latest game to be "barely getting into development." Regardless, the fact that Star Fox was indeed active at all post-Brawl makes the judgement that Star Fox doesn't have a future suspect even back then, especially as there was nothing, unlike with the Mother franchise, indicating that there would for sure be no new games in the future.
Star Fox 64 3D didn't sell that well last time I checked, and neither has Star Fox Command. The last successful Star Fox game (in sales) was Assault. Let's face it, the franchise has really lost its steam for a long time. It is the likely culprit of Wolf getting no priority. Star Fox Wii U, even if it was known to be in development during the roster finalization, isn't going to do much. It's an unproven game, we don't know if it it'll help Star Fox back on their feet. Heck, the new Star Fox stage is based on the latest console Star Fox (Assault), meanwhile we got Wooly World and Mario Kart 8.

I honestly think Star Fox Wii U was far too early in development at the time of the roster getting finalized to matter too much. While we have Wooly World coming in the same year, it at least materialized enough stuff to be used (and we've seen images at the first reveal and gameplay footage the next). Star Fox Wii U on the other hand, we saw nothing of it other than the TIME leaked photo, which looks fairly in the alpha stages. It's hard to assume the Star Fox game was greenlit by the time the roster finalized for Smash 4.

With all that said, it does not mean they deliberately cut Wolf right off the bat just because the franchise was low priority. It could mean that they just didn't have the time to bring him back when they felt the current 2 Star Fox characters were good enough (considering the state of the franchise). They have other franchises and newcomers to implement into Smash, so it made sense why Wolf and Lucas weren't put on as much priority as the rest of the cast. If Smash Bros 4 were to have a lot more development time than it had, we might've been able to get Wolf from the initial launch. Hopefully, he will get back in as DLC.

Last edited:

Spaghetti Falco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
brandorf
3DS FC
3024-6627-7748
Double Posting Warning Received
It only seems the case with the characters, arguably the most important part of the game, so it IS a big deal.
Do you have to be a complete and utter douche everywhere you go

Makes you wonder if the designers study different martial arts for inspiration and reference. I know movie directors or whatever do that.

If he insists on talking about the same thing forever, Ridley and the 3ds version, I'm going to be mean. And if everyone insists on feeding him, I'm going to be mean. I don't even want to go through this thread to find what was and wasn't off topic.
Thats how i feel too champ

D-idara is never on any topic but his own which is being butt hurt about Ridley
He needs to grow a pair and stop acting like a 3 year old
"Waaa Ridley isn't in Smash I'm going to scream and complain to anyone who has a dissenting opinion"

Last edited by a moderator:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
SAKURAI PROGRAMS THE HITBOXES HIMSELF???

So it's DIRECTLY his fault that Metaknight's hitboxes and most the hitboxes in general don't match the animations?! Was this the same process with Brawl??? Is this why we had Snake's u-tilt and f-tilt??? Sakurai whyyyyyyy

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Wow! I swear he was talking to me when he said to stop using the auto translate! hahaha!

Ok duly noted Sakurai!

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
This thread has completely gone off-topic and ignored the main subject of Sakurai's upcoming GI columns.

As a result, it will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom