• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Confirms Mewtwo Release On The Horizon

Legonro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Legonro
3DS FC
4184-4117-9036
Will the DLC be buyable at some point after the code's have been sent? I am really hyped. ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!
i seriously hope im not gonna miss out on mewtwo just because i can't afford a wii u

im willing to shell out twelve or so dollars (im assuming its gonna cost the same as an amiibo) for mewtwo COME ON SAKURAI DON'T LEAVE US OUT

Javln Mastr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Modernlykos
3DS FC
3823-8516-1685
We actually KNOW that it doesn't take this long. Because of how many charakters we have and how long it took to develope this game.
No, it probably takes this longto make from scratch. Considering the game is done and out, Sakurai isn't working with the sizeable amount of resources than he was pre-release. He had a large team of developers working on the game, relative to the amount of content the game was planned to have.

Considering the playable characters, it's not like they were made on by one. Those working on the game were likely split into groups, in order to develop the characters simultaneously. The whole blueprint of the game is completed before development; this means characters, stages, modes etc. are all started on side by side. Their job is done here; this means Sakurai is working with much less than he had. I can't say how he's pulling this off atm, but the development time needed to create this DLC sounds fairly accurate and logical.

Plus, why would the company be holding back for so long? It's free DLC, and the only reason I could see is so they can make more sales, since you need both console versions.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Finally. I don't have both versions of the game (didn't bother with 3DS), but I'll be more than glad when Mewtwo shows up as payable DLC.

Mr. Blue Sky

Smash Cadet
No, it probably takes this longto make from scratch. Considering the game is done and out, Sakurai isn't working with the sizeable amount of resources than he was pre-release. He had a large team of developers working on the game, tangent to the amount of content the game was planned to have. Considering the playable characters, it's not like they were made on by one. Those working on the game were likely split into groups, in order to develop the characters simultaneously. The whole blueprint of the game is completed before development; this means characters, stages, modes etc. are all started on side by side. Their job is done here; this means Sakurai is working with much less than he had. I can't say how he's pulling this off atm, but the development time needed to create this DLC sounds fairly accurate and logical.
Plus, why would the company be holding back for so long? It's free DLC, and the only reason I could see is so they can make more sales, since you need both console versions.
Maybe they were adding another character as well. It would complete the box (as shown by how the Rayman leak fit in the roster.) It would be cool if they brought back either Roy or Pichu. I feel like the latter could be tweaked and become an interesting high risk high reward character.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
I honestly don't seem to understand why Mewtwo is so popular, but oh well, it'll be nice to have them back. I enjoyed playing as him Super Smash Bros. Melee and I am certain that I'll have fun playing as them in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, changes made to them or not.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I actually like to think of it as a result of Mewtwo mind-wiping Team Rocket after Mewtwo Returns. As far as they remembered, Mewtwo didn't exist yet. With Mega Evolutions newly discovered, they performed the same experiment twice, with a different Mew's DNA sample, with the added goal of Mega Evolutions to make it even stronger. There ARE two Mews in anime canon so far. It's totally possible the classic Mewtwo was cloned from a male Mew, while the other came from a female, explaining the different voice. I know Legendaries technically lack genders, but when you use something organic, it's male or female unless it's an alien of some kind, quite frankly. I'm only satisfied using the word "it" when it comes to non-organic Pokemon like Magnemite or Muk.
My idea for Mewtwo's self-evolving ability wasn't really behind different Mew DNA. Like I said before, I believe the project was inspired by Rayquaza.

If you remember from the Delta Episode, Rayquaza's mega stone is actually inside his body! His power is fueled by the meteor that crashed thousands of years ago, and we even see him eat a fragment of that meteorite at the top of Sky Pillar. If I'm correct, Mewtwo's mega stone is a part of her body, also; a reminiscent of Rayquaza's.

Now, I know this wasn't an intentional setup, as the movie was long before we even heard of Hoenn remakes in the making. Nor do I know where and how they'd put the necessary utensils inside of her. But y'know, it's just a theory...

No, I'm not gonna say it.
What did I tell ya'?
A GAME THEORY! Thanks for trolling!:troll:

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Yet, Sakurai still refuses to give us an exact date.
You know how much it would suck to have to wait a couple of weeks when we know now that he's complete? >->

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Why is everyone getting hyped? We already knew he would be coming out around this time. Spring 2015. Anyways, prepare yourselves everyone. Smash online is going to be attacked by an army of Mewtwo's. Ragnarok is here.

Last edited:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Please send me the codes already Nintendo so I can start filtering your spam.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Smash Bros Z: Resurrection of M(ewtwo)

Coming Soon

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Idk about lucas or wolf since there moves are basically given to ness and fox respectfully but i understand for ice climbers since no characters are similar except for rosalina of course but they're moves are still unique
I'm aware but I don't think fans would care that much if Ness/Fox kept those customs and Lucas/Wolf came back. On the flip side of things, perhaps Lucas/Wolf could get Ness/Fox's moves as some of their customs. All and all, those three I mentioned seem the most likely to come back:

:pichumelee:- Added as a joke character. I don't think Sakurai intends to put anyone this intentionally bad in a Smash game again.

:roymelee:- Really no point thanks to Lucina unless they completely redid him from the ground up.

:younglinkmelee:- Do we really need three Links?

:snake:- With Kojima possibly leaving Konami, he could entirely lose the rights to Snake. Also, with no new Metal Gear games planned for Nintendo systems anytime soon, it really isn't worth jumping through all the hoops to get him.

:ivysaur::squirtle:- Hard to say but I feel that these two would be of lower priority to bring back given the number of Pokemon characters already, plus three DLC Pokemon characters seems a bit heavy handed.

This is why I think :popo::lucas::wolf: are the most realistic if they decide to do more cut character DLC.

D

Deleted member

Not me exactly, but I've seen plenty of fanbases explode over the stupidest things. Way too many haters of characters I like. Not to mention all the gorefics I've read and how many sex-crazed perverts I've seen running around clutching their balls going "I AM A MAN" at everything and calling whatever they don't like the hobbies of a "sexually repressed manchild".
What the hell are you even rambling about? Go drink some warm milk and take a nap.

I know Legendaries technically lack genders, but when you use something organic, it's male or female unless it's an alien of some kind, quite frankly.
Quite frankly, you're wrong. There are organisms that reproduce asexually and therefore are neither male nor female. There are also organisms that are hermaphrodites and therefore both male and female. There's your biology lesson for the day.

And we're talking about Pokemon anyway, which are fictitious creatures. We might as well be talking about aliens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Imagine if we got a trailer for him. I can just imagine... the screen fades in from black. We see machines and containers, before the camera zooms onto a door, it opens, and it's dark behind. We hear a voice saying "We dreamed of creating the world's strongest Pokemon"... two blue eyes lights up... the voice continues: "And we succeeded."

The Mewtwo theme song from the first movie starts playing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJy7xY9HR0Q This is a good remix of it, used in PM, the part I'm referring to starts at 0:30) before text appears, saying "Mewtwo Strikes Back!".

One can only dream :)
they are probably going to make a trailer for him.
He already did.

While it wasn't traditional, it was still a freakin' trailer.

It had a build up, hype, and even the big splash image thing that said "MEWTWO IS ON THE WAY!"

They aren't going to announce him again, and have a big build up like it's a giant reveal, when they already announced him months ago.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Yayz.

.........What were you expecting? Oh, a trailer idea? *sigh* sure.

.....Yeah no. Everyone's just gonna hate it anyway because I'd DARE to reference a time with Mewtwo as a heroic character rather than the evil overlord of a "badass" everyone is all like "omgsohypeslawlhypehypehype" about.
Before you take a giant crap on the people who like the old, original Mewtwo, why don't you do your research.

He's not some stupid badass evil edgy whatever like Shadow. He was mad at people for messing with his DNA and stuff, but then realized the true meaning of life, and became good.

i.e., he has a personality, and isn't a hollow shell of edginess.
image.jpg

Or they'd hate on Femtwo and accuse me of not being a real fan because I DARE to like something about the Anime. Or rather, the NEWER anime.
That's because Femtwo completely destroys every last bit of continuity the anime had.
It shows how little of a crap the writers give. The new anime is made solely for children, so the writers figured the children never saw the old episodes, and would be confused by the continuity, so they said "Hey, let's get rid of that very well developed character we had, and make a new version."

And quite frankly, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai right now to be all like: "Oh, you didn't get both versions? too bad, now you have to pay a million dollars lawl"
Because that's totally what someone who cares about the fans, and wants people to have the full game would do.

Otherwise he's gonna troll the Femtwo haters and bring her voice in. Then I'll laugh at their cries. "waaah! I wanted the male voice waaaaaah! Waaaaaaaaaah!"
1. That use of the word "otherwise" makes no sense. You are essentially saying that only if Sakurai does not demand 1 Million U.S. Dollars for Mewtwo, he will troll the Femtwo haters. That makes no sense whatsoever.
2. Because that's totally what someone who cares about the fans, and can easily have more fans buy Mewtwo for nostalgia would do. He didn't bring in Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man, he wouldn't bring in Femtwo. Never has Sakurai intentionally annoyed the fans. The whole Ridley fiasco was a misinterpretation of evidence given to us.

I'm sick of these idiotic fanbases.
Ironic, isn't it?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
"Sakurai also confirmed that more details would be released in an upcoming announcement."

Wait, I didn't hear that part in the video. Did I miss something?

Manta

Smash Cadet
It surely doesn't take this long to make one character. ;)

Well I can't say I know cause I've never made a game.
They're probably also releasing the tournament mode+miiverse stage+stage sharer with this.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
We don't really NEED any of the cuts to return. Just saying. :4villager:

I don't think it's fair to just pass off Young Link just because of resemblance. I mean, MMR and HW could possibly open up the chances of Young Link being Luigified- having a similar moveset to Link, but with mask additions or something. Then you'd have that core- Link, Tink, Yink = Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi. It's a possibility that could happen. Ya never know- what with Sakurai driving the bus. :4villager:
He was mad at people for messing with his DNA and stuff,
"Ya ****ed with the wrong DNA *****!" Lol :4villager:

He was angry at the fact that he was created just to be an experiment. That his destiny was basically to be a slave, but he overturned his masters and set off on a revenge quest.

Last edited:

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
SECOND POST
well for announcement

talking about mewtwos moves

and probably more than mewtwo in development
(and im not talking about the miiverse and tourney mode offline/online)
I hope so, yo. Another character being worked on would be siiiiiiick.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
"OMFG IT'S MEWTWO OMG OHHH"
Future 1: Mewtwo has a hah hoo
Future 2: Mewtwo is low tier ;(

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
Not entirely enthusiastic about getting another character to fight against in FG, I'm hoping for some balances and maybe for fun 1v1

ISatsuiHado

Smash Rookie
The hype for :mewtwopm:is real but what if we find out he was bottom tier would it be worth the hype a legend to be reborn as the new :4ganondorf:.

Trigspro789

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trigspro789
3DS FC
3566-2013-0217
I bet if he's announced on April 1st, there gonna try and fool us by saying Mewtwo isn't coming :mewtwopm::mewtwopm::mewtwopm::mewtwopm::substitute:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
don't tell etika lol
Too late he already found the video.

He already did.

While it wasn't traditional, it was still a freakin' trailer.

It had a build up, hype, and even the big splash image thing that said "MEWTWO IS ON THE WAY!"

They aren't going to announce him again, and have a big build up like it's a giant reveal, when they already announced him months ago.
No hes getting a real trailer easily.

The next world wide direct is going to reveal him easily

Maikou

Smash Ace
Before you take a giant crap on the people who like the old, original Mewtwo, why don't you do your research.

He's not some stupid badass evil edgy whatever like Shadow. He was mad at people for messing with his DNA and stuff, but then realized the true meaning of life, and became good.

i.e., he has a personality, and isn't a hollow shell of edginess.
View attachment 43858

That's because Femtwo completely destroys every last bit of continuity the anime had.
It shows how little of a crap the writers give. The new anime is made solely for children, so the writers figured the children never saw the old episodes, and would be confused by the continuity, so they said "Hey, let's get rid of that very well developed character we had, and make a new version."

Because that's totally what someone who cares about the fans, and wants people to have the full game would do.

1. That use of the word "otherwise" makes no sense. You are essentially saying that only if Sakurai does not demand 1 Million U.S. Dollars for Mewtwo, he will troll the Femtwo haters. That makes no sense whatsoever.
2. Because that's totally what someone who cares about the fans, and can easily have more fans buy Mewtwo for nostalgia would do. He didn't bring in Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man, he wouldn't bring in Femtwo. Never has Sakurai intentionally annoyed the fans. The whole Ridley fiasco was a misinterpretation of evidence given to us.

Ironic, isn't it?
How about YOU check up on YOUR facts. I'm talking about what people are demanding, not what I PERSONALLY think of the character. For your information, I've both watched and loved both of the classic Mewtwo's movies. I KNOW Mewtwo was a good and well-developed character, I was talking about how OTHER MEWTWO FANS go on and on about how badass and evil he was. Guess what? I've watched the whole damn anime up until Ash's victory at the first Gym in Kalos. I've watched every last one of the damn movies. And guess what?

I've freaking LOVED every series of the anime. I've LOVED every movie. My point in that post was that people keep going on and on about how badass Mewtwo is an completely ignoring what he's actually done. I love Mewtwo. Guess what? I also love Femtwo. Not as much as the old Mewtwo, but unlike other people I'm not gonna cry "RUINED FOREVER" just because there's another Mewtwo.

It needs to be said: In Genesect, which I am CURRENTLY WATCHING as I type this post, Ash says the line, "Hold on, you're...." Implying he recognizes Mewtwo. Frankly, It's not a huge deal to me what kind of plot convenience it is, mostly because it's mysterious enough that I can justify it using what Mewtwo did at the end of Mewtwo Returns.

Whilst I watch the rest of movie, I also need to say this: If Ash doesn't make more connections, it's because he knows this isn't the same Mewtwo he knows.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I'm aware but I don't think fans would care that much if Ness/Fox kept those customs and Lucas/Wolf came back. On the flip side of things, perhaps Lucas/Wolf could get Ness/Fox's moves as some of their customs. All and all, those three I mentioned seem the most likely to come back:

:pichumelee:- Added as a joke character. I don't think Sakurai intends to put anyone this intentionally bad in a Smash game again.

:roymelee:- Really no point thanks to Lucina unless they completely redid him from the ground up.

:snake:- With Kojima possibly leaving Konami, he could entirely lose the rights to Snake. Also, with no new Metal Gear games planned for Nintendo systems anytime soon, it really isn't worth jumping through all the hoops to get him.

:ivysaur::squirtle:- Hard to say but I feel that these two would be of lower priority to bring back given the number of Pokemon characters already, plus three DLC Pokemon characters seems a bit heavy handed.

This is why I think :popo::lucas::wolf: are the most realistic if they decide to do more cut character DLC.
:pichumelee: is not that awful. He is way better than :mewtwomelee::roymelee::gawmelee::bowsermelee::nessmelee::zeldamelee::kirbymelee:. But coming back in a game full of PkMn is kinda of a bad move.
:roymelee: was awful. P:M did Roy right yes, but if this team managed to make PK Flash a even worse move and make Diddy Kong even more broken, then I don't imagine what they would do to Roy. Also, 2MUCH FE.
:younglinkmelee: Majora's Mask idea could be good, but the principle is already taken by :zeldamelee: and :4shulk:. Also Zelda fans got angry at Yink for appearing in Hyrule Warriors. It won't make a difference here.

:squirtle::ivysaur: 2much pkmn and they were low tier. Never coming back.

:snake: Not really worth it. Also, :4megaman::4duckhunt::4villager: are the new Snake.

Top Bottom