• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai confirms 3DS version WON'T handicap Wii U version.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
The Wii U and 3DS versions of the game do not support any manner of cross-play between the two platforms, he said. Sakurai explained that, due to the stages that will be unique to each platform, the systems would be incompatible. And while the handheld and console versions of the next Super Smash Bros. will feature system-specific stages, the game's moves, characters and items will be "nearly identical."

Sakurai left himself an out on that explanation, however, saying that if there are items on the Wii U version that can't technically be accomplished on Nintendo 3DS, he'll leave them out of that version.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/14/44...ing?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Latias

Smash Journeyman
He'll leave them out of which version? Could mean he takes them out of the wii u version, but since everyone here hates fun they don't care about items.

bobadz

Smash Ace
He'll leave them out of which version? Could mean he takes them out of the wii u version and since everyone here is anti-fun they don't care about items.

I'm gonna golden on this.

Instead of taking it literally, look at it grammatically.
"items that can't be technically accomplished"

Seems more that "item" was used as another way to say "aspect". Given that it's a synonym, that makes more sense that aspects of the game (be it specific aspects of a character, stage, gameplay, etc.) can raise issue in being accomplished on technical grounds rather than referring to specific Items used in battle.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
He'll leave them out of which version? Could mean he takes them out of the wii u version, but since everyone here hates fun they don't care about items.

Pretty sure he means he'll leave items that can't be accomplished on the 3DS out of the 3DS version, but keep them in the Wii U version.

Makes sense to me. I was suspecting that the versions would have different sets of items anyways.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I believe he meant he'd leave it out of the 3DS version. I don't think it would make sense otherwise, considering the way he worded it.
(if he was leaving it out of the Wii U version, he would technically be ditching the item altogether, because it can't be handled on the 3DS in the first place.)

Edit: Oh, two people already beat me to it. Oh well.

bobadz

Smash Ace
To me it's clear by item he meant "game aspect" and he meant he'd leave them out of the 3 DS version if they technically couldn't fit on it.
Yeah, I think characters like olimar might not have as many pikmin in the 3DS version.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Yeah, I think characters like olimar might not have as many pikmin in the 3DS version.

I don't see why he wouldn't be the same as he was in Brawl. Pikmin aren't resource intensive... they're practically glorified items.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
You've got to read things like this carefully, over and over. Otherwise when Sakurai talks about stopping taunt parties people over react and assume he will make the next game less competitive.

It seems pretty clear in context he didn't mean just items(as in what we randomly pick up and use) literally.

This is actually very good news aside from character inclusion I suppose. Though I still can't imagine a character so complex that the 3DS couldn't handle it considering the types of games available for it now.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
You've got to read things like this carefully, over and over. Otherwise when Sakurai talks about stopping taunt parties people over react and assume he will make the next game less competitive.

It seems pretty clear in context he didn't mean just items(as in what we randomly pick up and use) literally.

This is actually very good news aside from character inclusion I suppose. Though I still can't imagine a character so complex that the 3DS couldn't handle it considering the types of games available for it now.
24 pikmin 4 olimar and some sort of demanding stage might give frame drops.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Items are the thing he just said are possibly being left out..

Yes, but I didn't say Pikmin are LITERALLY items. Pikmin are a pivotal aspect of Olimar's character. It would be irresponsible to nerf Olimar's pikmin count when they don't actually hurt performance.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Good find.....really good find. This gives me hope and I'm glad that Nintendo is well-aware of what we want out of this game. =)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Items are the thing he just said are possibly being left out..
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sakurai (or the translator) meant "aspects of the game" when he referred to items. In addition, I found this "And while the handheld and console versions of the next Super Smash Bros. will feature system-specific stages, the game's moves, characters and items will be "nearly identical."

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I'm pretty sure he doesn't literally mean Items. He's referring to content. Which may include actual items of course. It's a Japanese translation thing. Same thing with people assuming about his remarks made during the beginning of Smash 4 development and people took it to mean the roster was going to be the same size as brawls.

Edit: Beaten by Venus.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Guys, I'm pretty sure he doesn't literally mean Items. He's referring to content. Which may include actual items of course. It's a Japanese translation things. Same thing with people assuming about his remarks mad during the beginning of Smash 4 development and people took it to mean the roster was going to be the same size as brawls was.

Here comes Mr.Killjoy to ruin everyone's slight good news.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Sakurai doing right by the fans! I expected he would. Glad to hear it. So even if somebody like Ice Climbers has to be kneecapped for the 3DS version, they should be operating at full potential on the WiiU.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay. This means one of three things.

1. Sakurai has changed his mind for the better.
2. He's contradicting himself.
3. His translators are terrible.

I'm inclined to believe number three.

bobadz

Smash Ace

I also think its number 3. A similar thing happens when Naruto: Ultimate Ninja storm 3 was being promoted. The director said some of the part one characters would be cut, but his translator translated it as "all part one character would be cut."

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045

This This This! People need to keep number 3 in mind at all times. There is no 100% English to Japanese translation for everything. And even the interpreters may get something wrong every now and then assuming they understood exactly what the speaker meant, not just what he or she said. And man it happens all the time, even in these professional(HA!) E3 environments.

Not everything is literal and to take it one step further don't just read headlines. They bait you in easily but don't always convey what was actually said in the article.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice

I don't think it's so much that his translators are terrible, but more the nature of the language. Japanese is a very vague language with context and inference being vital to understanding what's being said. Not to mention we're hearing things through journalists. It's not unlike a big game of telephone, except instead of laughter it ends in tears and angry forums posts.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Man, when will this vortex of uncertainties end?

Also. I believe number 3 is the case.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's definitely number 3. There's no such thing as a 100% accurate translation and it's not just with English and Japanese.

Luigi player

Smash Master
lol this

He very likely means that he will leave them out of the Wii U version, because he wants the Wii U and 3DS Versions to be the same. Especially with characters. He already said that the two games will have the same roster.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
If he meant that he'd completely remove the item, he'd just say "leave them out", not "leave them out of that version".

Seriously people.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, that could be a point. But he already said that they will have the same library of characters. So if the 3DS can't handle as many, they will simply not be done, for both games.

As for stages... they will be different anyways, so there's probably no restrictions there.

Maybe he's talking about stuff nobody would care about, like Items or 1 Player mode.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I think you should re-read that article regarding the characters. It's very vague and might also be about tweaking complicated characters themselves.

It would be pretty absurd to talk about characters not fitting in the 3DS cartridge; the biggest 3DS game so far takes up 4GB, the max is 8GB.
Which is more than Brawl was

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Coming in to remind everyone of the last translation that wasn't perfectly clear (multiple "air cancels")

Things may get lost in translation, just another thing we have to wait and see.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Does this mean we may still see a decent roster increase?
The Brawl characters took up roughly 15 MB each IIRC so memory limits shouldn't be an issue in the characters department.

What might happen with characters is that characters like Samus, Zelda, Pokemon Trainer, Ice Climbers, and possibly Olimar may all have to be reworked to various degrees. As I said in the social thread, this might mean the following:

Samus - Samus and Zero Suit Samus are separated and do not switch via Final Smash.
Zelda - Zelda and Sheik are separated with each getting new Down B's. This may or may not result in Sheik being replaced by Impa.
Pokemon Trainer - The Trainer leaves while Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard all become standalone characters like in Project M.
Ice Climbers and Olimar - These two (well, three) may have to be revamped greatly depending on what they have in mind.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
What might happen with characters is that characters like Samus, Zelda, Pokemon Trainer, Ice Climbers, and possibly Olimar may all have to be reworked to various degrees. As I said in the social thread, this might mean the following:

Samus - Samus and Zero Suit Samus are separated and do not switch via Final Smash.
Zelda - Zelda and Sheik are separated with each getting new Down B's. This may or may not result in Sheik being replaced by Impa.
Pokemon Trainer - The Trainer leaves while Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard all become standalone characters like in Project M.
Ice Climbers and Olimar - These two (well, three) may have to be revamped greatly depending on what they have in mind.

There's no reason why the first three will be left out. Switching character models and movesets isn't the difficult task, it's programming the Nana/Pikmin AI to follow the player character, possibly four times if the matche is four Olimars and Pikmin or Popos and Nanas.

I don't see why he wouldn't be the same as he was in Brawl. Pikmin aren't resource intensive... they're practically glorified items.

See above. Items don't follow your every move etc.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
There's no reason why the first three will be left out. Switching character models and movesets isn't the difficult task, it's programming the Nana/Pikmin AI to follow the player character, possibly four times if the matche is four Olimars and Pikmin or Popos and Nanas.

See above. Items don't follow your every move etc.
Hence the word "glorified."

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
lol this

He very likely means that he will leave them out of the Wii U version, because he wants the Wii U and 3DS Versions to be the same. Especially with characters. He already said that the two games will have the same roster.
No, he means leave them out of the 3ds version.

Top Bottom