• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai confirms 3DS version WON'T handicap Wii U version.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
But he said the games will have the exact same characters/roster.
Why would he shortly after he said that say something completely opposite?
That's because he isn't talking about characters here. He's referring to things like Item's, pokeballs, assist trophies and any extras that might be in the game.

Luigi player

Smash Master
That's because he isn't talking about characters here. He's referring to things like Item's, pokeballs, assist trophies and any extras that might be in the game.
Oh, so that was a kinda pointless conversation then. I already said he probably means Items and such stuff. I only care about characters in that aspect, and that is where the 3DS version is limiting the Wii U version.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
Oh, so that was a kinda pointless conversation then. I already said he probably means Items and such stuff. I only care about characters in that aspect, and that is where the 3DS version is limiting the Wii U version.
Now were talking circles. He said the 3ds version will only limit the characters like ice climbers and Pokemon trainer etc. The complexity of characters is what will change and simple good design can work around all that.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
But he said the games will have the exact same characters/roster.
Why would he shortly after he said that say something completely opposite?
Because that's his thing.

When I first read that article about "reducing some characters" I had so many flashbacks because it obviously scared me. Pre Brawl release it almost became a weekly/monthly routine to freak out over some insane statement only for sakurai/translator to contradict himself weeks later or the game itself proving our fears wrong.
People were so confused at some point they wouldn't have put it past him to only make zss playable via final smash.
He also changes his mind constantly, Villager being the most relevant example right now ("animal crossing characters don't fight").

We will obviously be disappointed about some things in the end, can't please everyone etc., but be more confident in the man, he's not ******** and won't **** up super basic decisions like intentionally not making the wii u version as good as possible just because 3ds can't keep up. If it comes down to it, he'll differentiate them, not scrap them altogether just because they can't be identical.
Most recent quote of "characters being NEARLY identical", yeah.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Omg, it's Biggad!!

Most recent quote of "characters being NEARLY identical", yeah.
I'm pretty sure that he means that SSBU Mario might not be identical to his SSB3DS counterpart. I can't believe him outright saying "the roster of the characters in both games will be exactly the same" was just random talk that wasn't true.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
Omg, it's Biggad!!

I'm pretty sure that he means that SSBU Mario might not be identical to his SSB3DS counterpart. I can't believe him outright saying "the roster of the characters in both games will be exactly the same" was just random talk that wasn't true.
Alright let's break his comments down

1. He said that both version would have the same roster and that some characters would have to be reduced in some way to accommodate that.

2.He said in another article "saying that if there are items on the Wii U version that can't technically be accomplished on Nintendo 3DS, he'll leave them out of that version.".

In the 2nd comment he said nothing about characters not being identical. He said items (which implies all content other than characters). If he meant character he would have said characters. Not trying to passive aggressive or anything here just trying to clarify.

D

Deleted member

People still don't get that "item" is being used as a synonym for "aspect"?

He's not literally talking about Items.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I'll go even as far to say that because of the 3ds, I do not expect pkmn trainer to make a return in ssb4 at all.
Ummm... the whole point of this thread is that the 3DS version won't handicap the Wii U version. If PT doesn't make it in it won't be because of the 3DS.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
Omg, it's Biggad!!

I know I was trying to say that and that's kind of the point.
There was lots of panicking after his first comment about potentially "reducing" characters due to the limitations of the 3ds. It became clear he didn't mean reducing as in "cutting" them in following interviews but rather modifying them. He pretty much specifically said so. Crisis averted.

And now even his comment about "items" spawned some unfounded pessimism like "oh he's definitely saying he'll just scrap the concept completely then instead of using it in the Wii U version and just leaving it out of the 3ds version".
That won't happen. Again, he's not ********. And he's appearently not against the idea of having slightly different versions if it has to be so. There's no reason to just assume the super worst, or interpreting his comments in such a way. He will probably (unintentionally) clarify/contradict it again in another interview 2 weeks from now. It's the smash pre release cycle.

Wird alles gut oliver ^_^

Top Bottom