• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: A New Direction for Smash Bros. Wii U

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Source: http://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1223789p1.html [rightw]
[/rightw]
Content Contributor: Bionic

Masahiro Sakurai has been very busy with his newest title: Kid Icarus Uprising. However, it seems that Sakurai is actually ready to start his push onto the newest Smash Bros. sequel for Wii U (for real this time)
no, like seriously, for real for real

IGN recently had the pleasure of having to speak with Sakurai where several questions about the game's development were answered:

"As you noted, there is a certain dead end we come to if we just expand the volume of the game. I intend to change direction a little as we go. The key to that's going to be its dual support for 3DS/Wii U. I'm really just getting started on this so it's going to take time, but I'll come up with something that uses that link as the game's central axis, so I hope you're looking forward to it."

Apparently, Sakurai is attempting to focus the core of the game around the synergy between the Wii U and the 3DS. What exactly does this mean? Who knows, but only time can tell and, unfortunately, there will be plenty of time until any kind of release. With the announcement of Smash Bros. Wii U at E3 followed by an unusually long silence perhaps any news is good news.

What do you guys think? Share your thoughts and comments in the article below or visit the Smash Bros for Wii U thread located in General Brawl Discussion.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
My thoughts exactly, Ralph. :(

Although, I already have a 3DS...
I don't have a 3DS and I definitely don't plan on buying one. Honestly, I'm really disappointed that Sakurai is working on the next Smash and from what I can tell he doesn't even think he did anything wrong with Brawl. Melee is a deep enough game that it will survive, in one way or another, until a true successor comes around, but personally I doubt i'll stick around for that. I probably won't even be buying a Wii U unless the smash game is good.

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
As long as they don't dumb down the Wii U version to cater for the 3DS I'm fine. And please make something both hardcore players and casual party players can enjoy this time around, I don't want to see another Brawl, it was a fun game but it's competitive potential was a joke.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
I've been saying that the "dual title" thing was going to happen, no surprise here, sadly. Low framerates, cross platforum gimmicks and terrible controls incoming, yay... I have no hope for the new Smash game :(

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Eh, I don't think you guys are giving it a chance. I mean, people always give Nintendo a hard time for being experimental, but then they always come up with something amazing. They are really good at pioneering the industry forward outside of just "make this more powerful". Also, Sakurai has said in a previous interview that he feels that balancing Brawl single-handedly was a mistake, and next time, he would make sure he would balance the game with the entire team.

Also, the 3DS has some pretty good titles . . .

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Eh, I don't think you guys are giving it a chance. I mean, people always give Nintendo a hard time for being experimental, but then they always come up with something amazing. They are really good at pioneering the industry forward outside of just "make this more powerful". Also, Sakurai has said in a previous interview that he feels that balancing Brawl single-handedly was a mistake, and next time, he would make sure he would balance the game with the entire team.

Also, the 3DS has some pretty good titles . . .
This.

also, I wonder if that rumored document from last year held some truth to it, since The Cauldron system from KI:U was just like the Leveling up system from TWEWY-what the document said was a feature Sakurai considered.

regardless, I don't think it's going to be as bad as, say,in Pokemon or 4 swords where you had to use the system as a controller. we seem to be underrating the 3DS version a lot.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
To be honest this whole integrating hand held devices and changing around a proven formula that works just seems like an absolutely horrible idea. I'm extremely dismayed at this point with the (albeit small amount of) information on the newest installment to the franchise. This just sounds like a huge pile of garbage, and I honestly really hope that I am wrong. I'm starting to compare Sakurai to George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg more and more. I REALLY hope I am wrong. Nothing would honestly make me happier.

Life

Smash Hero
It's like none of you have played KIU. Sakurai is not the same man today as he was when making Brawl. At least have some faith until we have some mechanical details, okay?

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
It's like none of you have played KIU. Sakurai is not the same man today as he was when making Brawl. At least have some faith until we have some mechanical details, okay?
Took the words right out of my mouth, bro.

The game has barely even been started yet. How do we know that whatever he comes up with will be bad? The most recent game he's made shows......that he's changed. Uprising doesn't appear to have the same motive as Brawl. It's got real competitive potential, and it's given me high hopes for Smash 4. I think Sakurai might have realised that alienating the competitive circuit does not make it fun for everyone like he wants it to be. Is there a possibility it could fail? Yes. But I'm really optimistic after KI.

Aposl

Smash Ace
hopefully this just means that it will be like capcoms keeping their new fighters on hand helds as well, keep the ability to practice on the go, but who knows...

BSP

Smash Legend
Fair enough on the Sakurai defense, but still, I'd rather not HAVE to buy a 3DS to enjoy the next smash game to full extent.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I've been saying that the "dual title" thing was going to happen, no surprise here, sadly. Low framerates, cross platforum gimmicks and terrible controls incoming, yay... I have no hope for the new Smash game :(
smash 4 better use the gamecube controller

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
On one hand it makes sense. We already have a huge game, most all important Nintendo characters as playable characters (When people are asking for Geno, Starfy, Nook etc. you know the options are getting thin) and more are present in other ways, a great deal of modes, items, varied stages, pretty much perfected gameplay (yea I also wish it went back towards Melee but the difference is minimal) etc. There is very little to do.

On the other hand I have no interest in 3DS and thus focusing on paraller gaming sounds like a waste at best, at worst it makes the WiiU game feel incomplete.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
Fair enough on the Sakurai defense, but still, I'd rather not HAVE to buy a 3DS to enjoy the next smash game to full extent.
So you're saying there're no 3DS games that are out or coming out that interest you enough to get a 3DS in the first place?

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
So you're saying there're no 3DS games that are out or coming out that interest you enough to get a 3DS in the first place?
Probably not enough to buy a 3DS AND buy the new smash game for 2 systems.

I'm pretty sure you're joking... the Wii U isn't a GameCube, so why would it have a GameCube controller?

The Wii never had N64 controllers...
The Wii also isn't a GameCube as well and uses GameCube controllers. o-o

Top Bottom