• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Safe" approaches with Pit?

mhemm

Smash Rookie
Maybe its just because I'm comparing Pit with the other character I play (diddy), but I'm having trouble finding a safe alternative to mixing up dashes and dash grabs when approaching. One way around this is obviously to spam arrows and force the other player to approach more, but that is just not my style (especially in friendlies).

Any advice?

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
If it's not your style, then maybe Pit isn't for you? You can't force a character to be something it isn't. You really do have to make the opponent come to you when you're Pit.

F-tilt can push shielding opponents away, but doesn't have the best range. N-air can do some easy shield stabbing, but it has high landing lag. Side-B is great if they don't jump or roll. Glide attack suffers no lag and makes a slide, but because you have to double jump first, it's way too telegraphed.

mhemm

Smash Rookie
Let me clarify. I really like playing pit. I will never, however, be the player that will sit back and spam projectiles over and over again when both characters are on an even setting, like the way doctor mario was played in melee ( no offense doc players, I just dont find that style of play fun). I do, however, nail baddies with arrows after landing attacks while chasing them, and in many other ways ( I am by no means anti-arrows).

I just don't think pit needs this way of playing. He has very versatile moves with range, knockback and priority, which leads me to think that there are moves of his that would be good for approaching that I haven't thought of. I have read your guide rhyfelwyr, and I thought it was very good. After reading it I started to use f-tilts to space/approach more, but it seems a little to laggy to be relied on too much ( as you say none of them are completely safe).

How do you use N-air to approach? SH N-air and go through the shield to end up behind them? does that work? I haven't really tried it

Also, Call me crazy, but I really dislike Forward-B. It just seems too punishable.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Powershield. Practice reading your opponents moves, even if it means playing a lot of junk games. Once you learn how to read your opponents attacks you'll be able to Powershield much easier. Once you get Powershielding down you can advance not only safely but always have the advantage.

Example: Charge your opponent. When you get within range where your opponent decides to take a swing at you, powershield the attack and immediately come out. This not only blocks the attack but leaves you with zero lag AND cancels your dash so you can do ANY move out of your initial dash.

This technique is in fact why Brawl will be faster then Melee. I believe that if you want to become a competitive Brawler this is certainly something you need to learn.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
There's a balance between aggressive play, and long-range spamming. If you happen to be far away, there's no good reason to not fire arrows, but this doesn't mean that you can't be aggressive at the same time with them. When I feel I need to approach more for getting a KO, I'll short hop forward while firing my bow. This keeps the opponent defensive, piles damage, and gets me closer.

If you are quick enough, you can use the N-air in a short hop without landing lag. Doing it so early though, means that you'll only get the last couple hits during your forward momentum. I sometimes try baiting my opponent by purposefully doing a F-tilt or an in-place n-air out of range. Just to see if they'll walk into it.

EDIT: Yeah, what Underdog said is good.

EDIT2: The side-B of course shouldn't be relied on, or used too often. I only use it when they activate their shield for no reason.

mhemm

Smash Rookie
Good advice, I especially like the short hop arrows while approaching idea. All these things are adding options, anyone else have any ideas?

Villi

Smash Lord
His D-tilt has good range. The tip also usually gets passed the shield for me.

Usually, if I'm charging, it's after an arrow with a dash attack or I go for the short hopped N-air. There's no landing lag if you complete the attack/don't fast fall -- so then you can keep them off balance with a jab and then D-tilt to launch them and use your air game. You could try coming from above, keeping yourself safe with a side air. Rarely, I'll chase them with a glide. lol

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
All of Pit's aerials can be finished in a short hop before landing if you're quick enough and don't fast fall. This isn't overly useful though. His aerials still have decent start-up or post lag, and Pit doesn't have enough air control to move in and out.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
If I see a shielding opponent, and that opponent also doesn't have a reliable projectile, I go into a glide without hesitation, and with the new glideshift, being close to ground level and attacking your opponent's shield with the glide attack, glide cancelling, and then proceeding with a grab or up smash or anything depending on position and opponent's habits, seems to work great for me. Again, projectiles like another Pit's arrows, or Mother PK Thunders force you to do this sparingly, if at all.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
When I see someone shielding, I use side-B. It's quick, it stops projectiles, and eats through shields.

If you're already in the air and see him guarding, I can see how a glide attack could be useful. Usually for me though if I'm in the air and they're on the ground, they try to attack me.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
When I see someone shielding, I use side-B. It's quick, it stops projectiles, and eats through shields.

If you're already in the air and see him guarding, I can see how a glide attack could be useful. Usually for me though if I'm in the air and they're on the ground, they try to attack me.
Indeed angel ring owns at attacking shields, of course if they don't dodge roll. I guess I didn't clarify, if the distance between us seems to be considerable enough so that I'd have to dash towards him for a while and then proceed with an angel ring attack, I find myself using the glide instead. It has succeeded in keeping most of my opponents grounded and in anticipation of the attack, and unable to counter.

I actually look forward to my opponent trying to attack me as I glide. The glide attack is just great, and if they're waiting to attack me as they're grounded, even if they shield/powershield, the follow-up with zero lag always gets them.

Tristan Fattest of All Kids

Smash Journeyman
Easy, you can just stay at a safe distance, but not too far away. Like maybe 1.5 battlefield platforms apart. Your opponent will either come attack you: In this instance side dodge, and Punish!
or do nothing: Just go up and forward-tilt(this has longer range and less lag than a forward smash)

Zeela12

Smash Ace
I normally either:
1. shorthop neutral air, then DI back so he/she can't shieldgrab me.
2. spam arrows untill he comes to me.

another good one is side B, but that takes a lot of good timing. if you can hit it straight on while hes shielding, you can probably take out a huge chunck of his healthy % if he has a low %.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit's arrows are the simple approach anyone should take. Then when they are forced to come close, Grab then, throw Downward, then do a combo. That's what I would do.

eazail

Smash Apprentice
Do you have any videos of doing a combo after a down throw? I'm not sure what i can do.

Top Bottom