• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu's Fundamentals Discussion Thread

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Ah, okay. Sorry for cluttering up the thread; I figured it was a question worth asking here since we're trying to hammer down the nuances of the character. Thanks guys.

Smooth Criminal

c4ll me co4ch

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4227-4093-1228
for dtilt2 xx tatsu you gotta do cr lk x2 first and hold a/b button down...
As someone who is unfamiliar w/ SF terminology, can someone explain:

• dtilt2 - I assume that's held/strong dtilt? whereas dtilt1 is tapped/light?
  • xx - I've never understood this part when people post it
  • cr lk x2 - lk = light kick? Other than that no idea
Thanks

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
As someone who is unfamiliar w/ SF terminology, can someone explain:

• dtilt2 - I assume that's held/strong dtilt? whereas dtilt1 is tapped/light?
  • xx - I've never understood this part when people post it
  • cr lk x2 - lk = light kick? Other than that no idea
Thanks
Dtilt 2 isn't SF terminology it's this threads unoffical name of Strong down tilt (where you hold A)

xx means to special cancel or cancel a move. So weak Down Tilt xx hadoken means to input the hadoken motion when the weak down tilt connects, on shield or hit, to cancel the animation of the weak down tilt and start the hadoken.

Cr.lk is referring to Ryu's Crouching Light kick, which is his weak Down tilt.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
When I speak I will be using super old school SF terminology. Let's see if you can keep up.

This post is 100% focused on neutral game, trap game and BnB's.

Let's train harder.

My main pokes during neutral are low roundhouse, Donkey Kick, EX Slow Shakunetsu Hadouken, EX Slow Hadouken, short neutral jump roundhouse, stand forward and stand roundhouse.

Low roundhouse is pretty safe and has great range. Also great damage at 16. Donkey Kick does 17 with the tip of Ryu's foot and can kill, but it also covers a nice angle. Use sparingly but it can stuff aerial approaches if you are on point. Stand roundhouse is a great anti air and stuffs alot of approaches too. Easier to use on reaction as well. Neutral jump roundhouse just has a nice hitbox with not much cooldown on landing. Hadoukens are not zoning tools. They are longer range pokes you use to pressure shields and bait reactions. I tend to use them alot when my opponent is a little beyond Ryu's opening dash animation. Stand forward is simple basic poke with ok range. Pops opponent up at a nice angle though for easy follow-ups and traps.

For combos I keep it simple and effective. low short x2 xx EX Fierce Shoryuken/Fierce Shoryuken. Other basic combos are.

Close stand jab x2 SRK/Tatsu
Low forward xx Tatsu/Hadouken/Shakunetsu
Low short x2 - Tatsu
Close stand jab x2 xx low fierce/stand roundhouse

His jab combo is nice too since his jab is 3 frames.

For block pressure you can do rapid fire lights. Either close jab or low short. They cant grab you as long as you mash quickly. If you are close enough and they try to roll you might even catch their vulnerability frames then you can hit confirm into a combo. For block mix-ups off a light you can tatsu away or mix-in forward strong for a possible shield break though the latter takes alot of conditioning on your part and fear on your opponents. An easy to to set-up for block pressure or a hit confirm opportunity is to empty short hop in then fast fall. Then you can mix up between dash grab, light pressure or poking with low roundhouse or w/e. Walking in is also viable. Just be ready to block or roll on reaction to something your opponent may try. Cross up rolls work too. Roll behind then mash on a light if they are still blocking after you roll. This also works well in landing traps right when your opponent is about to touch the ground. Another good tool is neutral jump short. Decent hitbox and very little recovery on landing. Has the same applications as say Sheiks nair. Use it to cover yourself and deter dash grab ins. Can also be used to disrespect your opponent during attempted follow-ups and get you out of strings. Great for eating projectiles too.

For traps most of Ryus stuff will be based around hadoukens. See how your opponent reacts. If they like to roll be ready to punish with low roundhouse or an SRK depening on spacing. low short hit confirm into anything works as well. Its all spacing dependent. For air traps I rely on throws to get them there then jump hadoukens. Watch how they land and try to bait something then punish with jump roundhouse or neutral jump roundhouse. You can attempt to challenge with a neutral jump roundhouse as well. Amazing hitbox. Ledge trap game is solid. Lots of forward throws and hadouken traps to reset positioning advantage. Tatsus are also good for air traps. They will reset the situation on hit. Nice for chars with burst movement that can get them out of standard trap scenarios. Say vs ZSS if you threw a hadouken while she was in the air and she flip jumped behind you. Ryu could EX tatsu to catch her escape attempt and reset the situation. Or dash SRK if you just wanna end her. Dash EX SRK is very nice as well in landing traps. Some players will try to disrespect your momentum and EX SRK will blow them away due to having lots of invincibility. Played a Bowser two days ago and I d-throw him. I empty jumped to bait something and he did a down b. I EX SRKed him for a kill at 105%.

That's all for now. More later for sure.

If anyone has any questions ask away.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
When I speak I will be using super old school SF terminology. Let's see if you can keep up.

Let's train harder.

My main pokes during neutral are low roundhouse, Donkey Kick, EX Slow Shakunetsu Hadouken, EX Slow Hadouken, short neutral jump roundhouse, stand forward and stand roundhouse.

Low roundhouse is pretty safe and has great range. Also great damage at 16. Donkey Kick does 17 with the tip of Ryu's foot and can kill, but it also covers a nice angle. Use sparingly but it can stuff aerial approaches if you are on point. Stand roundhouse is a great anti air and stuffs alot of approaches too. Easier to use on reaction as well. Neutral jump roundhouse just has a nice hitbox with not much cooldown on landing. Hadoukens are not zoning tools. They are longer range pokes you use to pressure shields and bait reactions. I tend to use them alot when my opponent is a little beyond Ryu's opening dash animation. Stand forward is simple basic poke with ok range. Pops opponent up at a nice angle though for easy follow-ups and traps.

For combos I keep it simple and effective. low short x2 xx EX Fierce Shoryuken/Fierce Shoryuken. Other basic combos are.

Low short x2 - Tatsu

For block pressure you can do rapid fire lights. Either close jab or low short. They cant grab you as long as you mash quickly. If you are close enough and they try to roll you might even catch their vulnerability frames then you can hit confirm into a combo. For block mix-ups off a light you can tatsu away or mix-in forward strong for a possible shield break though the latter takes alot of conditioning on your part and fear on your opponents. An easy to to set-up for block pressure or a hit confirm opportunity is to empty short hop in then fast fall. Then you can mix up between dash grab, light pressure or poking with low roundhouse or w/e. Walking in is also viable. Just be ready to block or roll on reaction to something your opponent may try. Cross up rolls work too. Roll behind then mash on a light if they are still blocking after you roll. This also works well in landing traps right when your opponent is about to touch the ground. Another good tool is neutral jump short. Decent hitbox and very little recovery on landing. Has the same applications as say Sheiks nair. Use it to cover yourself and deter dash grab ins. Can also be used to disrespect your opponent during attempted follow-ups and get you out of strings. Great for eating projectiles too.

For traps most of Ryus stuff will be based around hadoukens. See how your opponent reacts. If they like to roll be ready to punish with low roundhouse or an SRK depening on spacing. low short hit confirm into anything works as well. Its all spacing dependent. For air traps I rely on throws to get them there then jump hadoukens. Watch how they land and try to bait something then punish with jump roundhouse or neutral jump roundhouse. You can attempt to challenge with a neutral jump roundhouse as well. Amazing hitbox. Ledge trap game is solid. Lots of forward throws and hadouken traps to reset positioning advantage. Tatsus are also good for air traps. They will reset the situation on hit. Nice for chars with burst movement that can get them out of standard trap scenarios. Say vs ZSS if you threw a hadouken while she was in the air and she flip jumped behind you. Ryu could EX tatsu to catch her escape attempt and reset the situation. Or dash SRK if you just wanna end her. Dash EX SRK is very nice as well in landing traps. Some players will try to disrespect your momentum and EX SRK will blow them away due to having lots of invincibility. Played a Bowser two days ago and I d-throw him. I empty jumped to bait something and he did a down b. I EX SRKed him for a kill at 105%.

Rad stuff, dude.
I never thought his light jab could be used for shield pressure. Then again, he always had frame advantage from light punch in SF4, so I can see now how effective it is.
Killing Bowser at 105% from a bait to EX SRK is just a testament to how powerful his kill options are. Holy balls.
Does Ryu have any combos that end with a grab>fthrow/bthrow? I figure that would reset the situation or something (really need to get my hands dirty with him sometime).

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Great write-up, EL.

Have we figured out what's safe on block yet? I'm guessing **** like sweetspotted (obligatory question mark here, but to save a tangent, it seems like a lot of Ryu's normals have this trait) cr.HK/low roundhouse is, at least at max range.

Also, @ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord , how do you feel about "tick throw" setups? And Ryu's oki in general? You think he can set up vortex-like situations?

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
Setting up a traditional vortex is a lot harder in smash koz of the range and speed and unique traits of each character..
Also i'm tryna think of some tick throw setups, but the opponent can just shield grab out of anything. Anything else would just be a mind game.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Setting up a traditional vortex is a lot harder in smash koz of the range and speed and unique traits of each character..
Just memorize the route/timing of characters' tech/wakeup rolls and you're golden (only select characters, like ZSS, have really wonky getup rolls that make this tricky). A lot of the lengths and speeds of these things vary only a little (mainly distance), not to mention that following after them is reactable if you score the knockdown. I mained/secondary King Dedede in this game (it's complicated), and I basically play him as a grappler with a dookie projectile. D3's burst movement, grab range, Gordos, and groundspeed assists him tremendously in this endeavor; I figured since Ryu is clearly a grade or two higher than him in this department, coupled with decent-ish options besides throw, he could make some workable mixups into "situations" off of a prone opponent.

Also i'm tryna think of some tick throw setups, but the opponent can just shield grab out of anything. Anything else would just be a mind game.
I meant that loosely, mind, but I do think Ryu's frame data is good enough where he can pressure people on shield to make mistakes where he can grab them. Maybe not in the conventional sense but something similar.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking. Could we do repeated cr.lk (thats weak Dtilt right?) and, when they can shield the onslaught, do strong Ftilt for shield break? Basically, my question is: how can we bait/force shields so we can do easy shield breaks with strong Ftilt/Fair?

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
I was just thinking. Could we do repeated cr.lk (thats weak Dtilt right?) and, when they can shield the onslaught, do strong Ftilt for shield break? Basically, my question is: how can we bait/force shields so we can do easy shield breaks with strong Ftilt/Fair?
That wouldn't be guaranteed however that would be a possible set up for strong Forward Tilt. If they keep the shield up in fear of some retaliation we could use strong Ftilt or if they start throwing out moves in an attempt to beat it out we could throw a shoryuken.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
Hadoukens are not zoning tools. They are longer range pokes you use to pressure shields and bait reactions.
"Zoning" is just a matter of using your ranged moves (often, but not always, projectiles) to move the opponent into a more desirable position for you. Hadoukens very much fall into that category.

Last edited:

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
"Zoning" is just a matter of using your ranged moves (often, but not always, projectiles) to move the opponent into a more desirable position for you. Hadoukens very much fall into that category.
I think he was just saying that they're not meant to keep away opponents. Zoning based characters are usually ones that play keepaway. buh yea hadoukens aren't great at keeping people away, but for forcing them to play a certain way.

Lunais

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO-sn2CFslE people need to do more DP reversal's. If you played SF or any fighter with invincible dp's try to apply them here if you see your opponent going for an attack. Input dp has really fast startup and with invincibility you come out ahead. Think Fox shine or Bowser up-b and can also be used out of shield.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Eh yeah I may have misspoke. Ryus Hadoukens can't be spammed. You need to have a gameplan about how you will use them and how you will respond according to what your opponent does when you throw them. They are strong pokes and good for space control. You cannot just mash on b and run away like Pit in Brawl. Thats my general point.

Mapet

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if this has been noted yet, but the red hadouken is much easier to perform in the air than on the ground, mainly because you can't change the direction you're facing in the air.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
I'm not sure if this has been noted yet, but the red hadouken is much easier to perform in the air than on the ground, mainly because you can't change the direction you're facing in the air.
So maybe SH Red Hadoken? if you do it fast enough it should still be able to cover the ground? Maybe a retreating Red hadoken could work as well?

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Also I just found out that Ryu cannot grab the ledge with Shoryuken if he has not landed on the ground. So if you are on the ledge and drop down and use a shoryuken Ryu will do the move and not grab the ledge at a
I am 100% sure this is not true. Every test I've done has him grabbing the ledge, whether it is through sweet-spot or the falling animation of the move.

What you might be doing wrong is not sweet-spotting the ledge right. He has to be a bit below it before he can sweet-spot but on the way back down (if he doesn't get on the stage first) he should be able to catch the ledge. At least according to my tests.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
I am 100% sure this is not true. Every test I've done has him grabbing the ledge, whether it is through sweet-spot or the falling animation of the move.

What you might be doing wrong is not sweet-spotting the ledge right. He has to be a bit below it before he can sweet-spot but on the way back down (if he doesn't get on the stage first) he should be able to catch the ledge. At least according to my tests.
Yeah I thought I struck that sentence out? Either i was holding down on the analog accidentally, preventing a sweetspot, Or I was doing something different all together. But yeah Ryu should be able to regrab the ledge after a shoryuken regardless if he does or doesn't touch the ground.

Edit: Oh, it was a saved message I had on this thread. I originally only quoted the dude who brought up using an aerial Red hadoken. My bad

Last edited:

LordWilliam1234

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
7820-3654-7995
Also I just found out that Ryu cannot grab the ledge with Shoryuken if he has not landed on the ground. So if you are on the ledge and drop down and use a shoryuken Ryu will do the move and not grab the ledge at all
This isn't Ryu specific. It's universal that when you drop down from the ledge you can't grab the ledge again for about a second or so.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
This isn't Ryu specific. It's universal that when you drop down from the ledge you can't grab the ledge again for about a second or so.
Yeah I fixed that it was just smashboards saving an unsaved message which came out when I replied to using red hadoken.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me

Let's train harder.

Low short x2 - Tatsu

I'm a scrub.

Explain the SF terms, please?

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
So I think sourspot Nair is probably one of Ryu's best tools. He can combo from most anything, even using weak Utilt and weak Dtilt to confirm into SRK and add even more damage. it has minimum recovery an, if spaced well, we can bait out an attack and SRK any punish. The only issue is that I cannot find a use for Sweetspot Nair other than if I already have them in a Nair or Fair combo and i need the extra damage. Anyone else finding sweetspot Nair useful?

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
So I think sourspot Nair is probably one of Ryu's best tools. He can combo from most anything, even using weak Utilt and weak Dtilt to confirm into SRK and add even more damage. it has minimum recovery an, if spaced well, we can bait out an attack and SRK any punish. The only issue is that I cannot find a use for Sweetspot Nair other than if I already have them in a Nair or Fair combo and i need the extra damage. Anyone else finding sweetspot Nair useful?
SH double sweet spot Nair combos into each other. And late sweetspotted Nair can be dashed after for a followup, allowing DP or whatever while they're still in hitstun

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
SH double sweet spot Nair combos into each other. And late sweetspotted Nair can be dashed after for a followup, allowing DP or whatever while they're still in hitstun
Thanks, ill try to incorporate this a bit more either way a late sweetspot Nair or a soutspot nair I should be able to get some sort of follow up

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
People complain Ryu doesn't have a move to specifically counter rolls. Well I think they're wrong. Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku
is how I deal with frequent rollers online, with a very long-lasting hitbox on both sides of Ryu as he moves forward
making it very difficult to dodge by rolling, and even if they get behind you before you start properly you'll just move
away relatively safely (unless they're using fast runners). This also makes it an alright crossup option (use in moderation of course).

Collarbone breaker can be a good alternate option for pressuring landings (as opposed to a grab) with the potential shield
damage.

I also find it neat how each of his low kicks progressively go up in range but lose comboability.
Weak dtilt might be the move that leads to the biggest combos though has little range. Strong dtilt has more range
and can sometimes get air followups on top of being cancellable by projectiles but it's combo potential lessens
at higher percents. Finally dsmash has the most range of any of Ryu's moves except fsmash which moves him forward
but will pretty much never combo into anything.

And is it just me, or do both his weak ftilt and collarbone breaker have similar looking startups?

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
People complain Ryu doesn't have a move to specifically counter rolls. Well I think they're wrong. Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku
is how I deal with frequent rollers online, with a very long-lasting hitbox on both sides of Ryu as he moves forward
making it very difficult to dodge by rolling, and even if they get behind you before you start properly you'll just move
away relatively safely (unless they're using fast runners). This also makes it an alright crossup option (use in moderation of course).

Collarbone breaker can be a good alternate option for pressuring landings (as opposed to a grab) with the potential shield
damage.

I also find it neat how each of his low kicks progressively go up in range but lose comboability.
Weak dtilt might be the move that leads to the biggest combos though has little range. Strong dtilt has more range
and can sometimes get air followups on top of being cancellable by projectiles but it's combo potential lessens
at higher percents. Finally dsmash has the most range of any of Ryu's moves except fsmash which moves him forward
but will pretty much never combo into anything.

And is it just me, or do both his weak ftilt and collarbone breaker have similar looking startups?
Tatsu isn't super good for hitting behind since it switches from in front of Ryu to behind Ryu and the end lag isn't super great at the least we could try to punish them with it I guess. Although @ Bobert Bobert has confirmed that if the leg connects with a fully charged samus shot he eats it and continues the move, which was happening to me with physical moves like Fsmashs. This being said if we can get the timing down on when the hitbox appears in front of Ryu we could use it to interrupt so much attakcks. At the very least opponents will need to wary of Tatsu's stopping their attack.

Also I found weak Utilt to be the best combo starter as it makes them airborne and means if they land, airdodge, attakck, or anything else they will eat some end lag and makes it comboing in general easier. That's just my opinion. I feel Dtilt is good for reading rolls more.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Tatsu isn't super good for hitting behind since it switches from in front of Ryu to behind Ryu and the end lag isn't super great at the least we could try to punish them with it I guess. Although @ Bobert Bobert has confirmed that if the leg connects with a fully charged samus shot he eats it and continues the move, which was happening to me with physical moves like Fsmashs. This being said if we can get the timing down on when the hitbox appears in front of Ryu we could use it to interrupt so much attakcks. At the very least opponents will need to wary of Tatsu's stopping their attack.

Also I found weak Utilt to be the best combo starter as it makes them airborne and means if they land, airdodge, attakck, or anything else they will eat some end lag and makes it comboing in general easier. That's just my opinion. I feel Dtilt is good for reading rolls more.
Just want to add on that because his leg is the only invincible part of the Tatsu, he can definitely still be gimped pretty easily by meteors from above such as Falcons or Ganons Dair and you're still not completely safe from different gimping attempts because his leg isn't always infront of him. If people learn to time their attacks against offstage tatsu, they can possibly keep us away without coming in contact with the legs hitbox. @KyoWolf helped me with the testing.

Edit: Charge Shot actually beats Tatsu for whatever reason unless it's stale(Tatsu beats Charge Shot after it's been used twice) but his foot is like a disjoint while using Tatsu and goes through a lot of other attacks.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Also, for those having trouble getting the weak versions of Ryu's tilts. If you set your C-stick to "Attack" no matter how long you hold the C-stick you will always get the weak version. However you cannot preform these tilts very fast they are a bit slower. This might help people who use Weak tilts and end up pushing the opponent out of SRK range.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
2 questions: control set up wise would having tap jump on be optimal for ryu? Since i can do a tiger knee motion for true shoryu oos i believe.
Also does anyone know how to properly b reversal the true specials or if theres a video to watch?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
2 questions: control set up wise would having tap jump on be optimal for ryu? Since i can do a tiger knee motion for true shoryu oos i believe.
Also does anyone know how to properly b reversal the true specials or if theres a video to watch?
I believe that true specials can be reversed just like any other special. Now on the tap jump issue, I don't like it because it messes with my game in general. However, if you get used to it I think I remember reading that it's a good options for jump canceling true SRK oos.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Yee ive done it on accudent before but inputting it isnt easy especially in mid match. I dont mind practicing it but If someone has an easier method that would be great. I read true shoryu is great oos with tap jump too just dont know where. The trade off may be worth it if u can punish more consistently with it. I use R for jump and cstick for aerials so it shouldnt hurt me that much

Top Bottom