• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's recovery

Milordog1

Smash Cadet
Everyone says that roy has one of the worst recoveries in the game. I beg to differ from my experience. So... how do YOU recover? And can anyone give me proof that roy's recovery sucks? I don't know but i think that they just don't use the side-B strategy.
I have recoverd about 97% of the time.

-Marth is a roy wannabe
--Roy Pwns
---Face it
----Milordog1

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No.

Roy's Side+B gives a slight boost the first time, barely does anything the next two times, and after that wrecks his recovery. None of it helps him nearly as much as Marth's Side+B helps him in recovery, due to Roy's faster falling speed.

Roy's Up+B has less maximum vertical range. It's slower than Marth's Up+B. The only thing it actually has going for it is the ability to arc the Up+B for a reasonably good horizontal recovery.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I know his recovery sucks, although I don't think it should be called the worst. there are some really bad ones (like Bowser's. Why is he above Roy?).

vZakat

Half Genie
Bowser can survive alot better with DI than Roy can because of his weight and has a better horizontal recovery. although wall teching with bowser does kill him (at least I can't recover after it).

I personally think that doc has a worse recovery and it's arguable for falco to have a worse one.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
well doc has the cape, the tornado, and the upB. and falco doesn't have as good in the way of space, but it's easier to sweetspot the edge and less lag.

Milordog1

Smash Cadet
Roy's Side+B gives a slight boost the first time, barely does anything the next two times, and after that wrecks his recovery.
That never happens to me. The boost strength stays the same for me. Is your roy changing colors?:confused:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you're going for the whole DED combo to recover, then lol. It'd probably be hilarious watching you try to get back to the stage.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
if you do the whole DED combo then the lag probably wouldn't let you do an upB afterwards. and you can't grab the ledge after the DED combo.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
the first DED strike after getting off the ground gives you a slight vertical boost, the next first strikes will bring you down A LOT and very quickly. thus, roys recovery sucks. and the fact that he falls fast just makes him worse.

Milordog1

Smash Cadet
the first DED strike after getting off the ground gives you a slight vertical boost, the next first strikes will bring you down A LOT and very quickly. thus, roys recovery sucks. and the fact that he falls fast just makes him worse.
Not if you time it right. I time it so that I have a slight chance of doing the second DED strike in the pattern. Plus he keeps DI.:lick::p:cool::psycho::urg::mad::ohwell::confused::(;):dizzy::embarrass:laugh::)

D

Deleted member

Ummmm... lurk moar. But anyways, i think roys recovery is one of the worst. Bowsers is definately not the worst. I think falcos is the worst, its distance is terrible, and its easily edgeguarded. Docs is pretty bad. Roys is pretty bad too. Id sayy roys is 3rd or 4th worst.

D

Deleted member

Well then I guess i'm the only one who can recover well with Roy then...
I guess so. U are obviously better than everyone here. Lol. Just because ur friends probably dont know what an edgeguard is, doesnt mean that roy have good recovery. Do u even...no i wont say it.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
*OPINION* Ganon and Falcon have a terrible recovery. Though verticle and horizontal recovery are okay, trying to land on the ledge of edge would get your opponent an easy hit on you thus knocking you back. Without that second jump, your screwed. *OPINION*

-

@ Milordog: Everyone knows you can use the forward B to get back on the stage. If they don't, then they just don't play enough smash or don't put enough effort in smash to find out.

And also edge guard. I'm guessing you don't know. Just use common sense. What's an edge? What's guarding?

I'd like to see videos of your Roy btw :) (Cough Cough?)

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
*OPINION* Ganon and Falcon have a terrible recovery. Though verticle and horizontal recovery are okay, trying to land on the ledge of edge would get your opponent an easy hit on you thus knocking you back. Without that second jump, your screwed. *OPINION*
IMO, Falco, Roy, and Falcon have the worst three. Ganon's isn't that bad for a couple reasons. He falls slower, meaning he gets more horizontal distance. Unlike Falcon, he can regularly get multiple jumps from his down+B. Secondly, he is nice and heavy, allowing him to survive much longer. I think it's a little overrated, but it's definitely not at the bottom.

Milordog: No, you can't recover well with Roy. It's oxymoronic. You don't even understand the mechanics of the game yet. This game has been out for YEARS; you didn't figure anything out. Please stop spamming the forums with one line posts. Read some advanced play guides, watch some instructional videos, and watch some good matches (usually in stickied threads at top of character forums) until you can recognize what techniques the players are using.

vZakat

Half Genie
The reason Falco's is arguably better than Roy's is because falco has so many mindgame options when recovering. He can up-b to the edge (with a diagonal or half diagonal angle), go for the stage or go strait up and then fall to the edge. Or he can side-b to the edge, onto the stage, or look like he's going to the stage but then shorten his side-b to catch the edge. He can also stall by using his down-b.

Roy either goes for the edge or the stage. not that hard to predict.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
falco sinks like a brick and needs to either downB or quickly think of something. like vZakat said, he has a lot of options open for him and so it makes him tricky.

and Milordog, the second one makes you sink more, plain and simple. out of the time you do the second DED, you could have done another first DED.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I'd like to see your awesome recovery! who would have thought that Roy DIs better when in a laggy attack (JK).

Milordog1

Smash Cadet
I would love to see my awesome recovery too. (please if the video comes and i ask for reccomendations... don't say that I need to start SHFFling (I do l-cancel ^-^)).

D

Deleted member

I was gonna ask if he shffls, but i got my answer. Yea, by what uve said, everyone knows ur recovery is probably pretty bad. I dont play roy at all, but i know how to recover with him. Second part of DED... yea u do that. I think ganons recovery is quite good, as long as u have fairly good DI, u can be high enough to use down b once or twice. Bettter than falcons cuz he isnt a fastfaller. If they try to hit u while u are aiming for the ledge, u can just ledgetech jump. I'm sure people will give u recommendations, that say dont act like u are good at the game :p I know i sound harsh, but im a mean guy
*growls provacatively*

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
burntsocks doesnt sound mean AT ALL. at least not compared to what i say to people. roy's recovery for **** tier ftw.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
obviously Milordog1 doesn't have good opponents because he supposedly can recover all hits even by doing the second part of DED.

Milordog1

Smash Cadet
I never do the second part of DED 0.0 Plus, i don't know how good my opponents are. I don't know how they fare against other people.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
um...Bowser's recovery is beastly. It has great range, not too much lag, and you can change it's trajectory depending on what angle you upB and how you DI using it. It isn't excellent, but it is in no way like Roy's...

Falco's recovery sucks. it can be gimped easily (the ->B can be n-air out of, and falco is always going to be too close to the stage using upB--easy to knock him out of)

Doc's recovery isn't as bad as people think. He drifts well, has the cape (to stop his momentum and provide a slight boost the first time), the down B, his upB and his gimpy magnetic hands. He can also disrupt edgeguarders using pills or the down B. It still isn't a good recovery, but again not on the same level as Roy's.

Roy's recovery is extremely predictable, short, and easy to edge-hog (to ledge-hopped punish if he upbs onto the stage) It's like doc;s ,except he falls faster, doesn't have a downB that helps his recovery, and doesn't have an attack that can force people off the edge.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Roy's recovery is extremely predictable, short, and easy to edge-hog (to ledge-hopped punish if he upbs onto the stage) It's like doc;s ,except he falls faster, doesn't have a downB that helps his recovery, and doesn't have an attack that can force people off the edge.

Not to mention his double jump is horrible. If he had a Falco like double jump granted his on stage mobility might have worsened, but his recovery would have... nah it still would suck horribly.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
roy has hands down the worst recovery. i dont see how its possible to argue that anyone else even comes close.

the closest is falco and doc, and they win simply because they have more options

Retroking2000

Smash Master
Roy's recovery isn't that long reaching... you can try to save your 2nd jump (helps against edgeguarders) and always try to sweetspot the edge w/ blazer... there's not much to say =/

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Roy recovery not the best out of all the other character's But its fun to reverse balzer those lightweight like Kirby and Jigglypuff!

But roy has a pretty bad recovery it can be light sheild to a edgehog just like his counter part Marth.
I think Falco has a worse recovery then Roy though but thats just my thought...

Top Bottom