• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's recovery

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
falco has a better recovery because he has so many more options than just roy's blazer sweetspot.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Probably the only character that has a debatable worse recovery is Captain Falcon.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
the tier recovery tier list is just a list. stop debating over who should be where. every character has goods and bads (some more then others) and unfortunately Roy has bad recovery.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Look at what it DOES have and not what it doesn't. it beats many characters out for its being a rather all-around recovery. Reasonably long, can defend itself with fair/forb, reasonably spike-proof, good if hit away on first attempt, defends well against dsmash etc., can come from a variety of angles as to avoid intercepts well......If you hope to play Roy well understanding such things is integral.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Look at what it DOES have and not what it doesn't. it beats many characters out for its being a rather all-around recovery. Reasonably long, can defend itself with fair/forb, reasonably spike-proof, good if hit away on first attempt, defends well against dsmash etc., can come from a variety of angles as to avoid intercepts well......If you hope to play Roy well understanding such things is integral.
if you mean reasonably long to do, then that's not helping. if you mean it has a reasonably long range, then you're wrong. if you try a fair or any of Roy's laggy aerials then you're screwed. the fowrard B isn't long enough to defend Roy. It's not at all spike proof, because the longest part of it is the DED and that creates an opening for a spike, and if it's a meteor, meteor cancelling means death anyway because Roy's up B isn't very long.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
if you mean reasonably long to do, then that's not helping. if you mean it has a reasonably long range, then you're wrong. if you try a fair or any of Roy's laggy aerials then you're screwed. the fowrard B isn't long enough to defend Roy. It's not at all spike proof, because the longest part of it is the DED and that creates an opening for a spike, and if it's a meteor, meteor cancelling means death anyway because Roy's up B isn't very long.
-Long as in the distance it can cover. If you disagree perhaps you should try holding across while using upB -_-
-fair is not a particularly laggy move. Use it with your second jump which you would be wise to keep until nearing the edge for just such a reason.
-The first swing of forwardB - are you using the whole thing or what?
-If you're getting spiked by Marth or Falco - counter them rather than being instantly owned. If you're getting done in by a meteor, the time you have to prepare for the cancel is more than satisfactory. If a DK can survive meteors theres no reason your Roy shouldn't.

Also handsockpuppet just for you:
-No recovery is spike-proof in SSBM. The word reasonably can do wonders in a sentence.
-Roy is slightly heavier than Falco
-A recovery that can come from more than one direction gives it less chance to be spiked.

Dark Meta-Knight

Smash Apprentice
Well... If I'm far away to use his Up-B, I use his first slash in the dance move. Then, when I'm close enough, I use the Up-B. Depends on the situation

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
-Long as in the distance it can cover. If you disagree perhaps you should try holding across while using upB -_-
-fair is not a particularly laggy move. Use it with your second jump which you would be wise to keep until nearing the edge for just such a reason.
-The first swing of forwardB - are you using the whole thing or what?
-If you're getting spiked by Marth or Falco - counter them rather than being instantly owned. If you're getting done in by a meteor, the time you have to prepare for the cancel is more than satisfactory. If a DK can survive meteors theres no reason your Roy shouldn't.
-fair is laggy
-yes I am
-LOL...just LOL

Also handsockpuppet just for you:
-No recovery is spike-proof in SSBM. The word reasonably can do wonders in a sentence.
-Roy is slightly heavier than Falco
-A recovery that can come from more than one direction gives it less chance to be spiked.
-you said his was reasonably spike-proof...I begged to differ.
-maybe in PAL, but otherwise Falco is definitely heavier.
-I don't understand your wording well, but Roy's recovery only goes horizontal (DED) and then sharply vertical (blazer).

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Oh my gosh handsockpuppet if you don't even know about Roy's horizontal Blazer and are going to sit there saying immature things like LOL just LOL what point is there my discussing these things with you?
Look at my join date - Ive been playing this game competitively since its dawn. I've been a forerunner of Roy for many years. Only a handful of months ago Ken assured me there is no better Roy main playing in competition as is his knowledge. Rather than assuming you know everything there is to know about Roy perhaps try listening to what others have to say so you might further improve.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Everyone - Roy's recovery is horrible.

2 - Everyone's recovery is better than Roy's

3 - getting spiked by Marth and Falco is a sign that you either A) need to learn to tech, or B) need to learn to DI.

4 - getting killed by meteor spikes happens but if it happens to you all the time then you should spend less time posting on these forums and more time reading them

I didn't really read what anyone said but the above statements should serve to settle any dispute fuel the fire

technomancer

Smash Champion
Well... If I'm far away to use his Up-B, I use his first slash in the dance move. Then, when I'm close enough, I use the Up-B. Depends on the situation
With donkey kong, if I have a double jump, I use that

then I use my up-b

all of this is very situational

I had to make three posts, I had to do it, for GOD'S SAKE PEOPLE LURK MOAR

ohpistachios

Smash Apprentice
With the proper DI, EVERYONE can live til high percents (on say, Dreamland 64). There is NO CHARACTER that you can throw off the stage and expect to get an easy kill off of. When people say bad recovery its a relative term. I think a lot of people just don't fully appreciate this.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Oh my gosh handsockpuppet if you don't even know about Roy's horizontal Blazer and are going to sit there saying immature things like LOL just LOL what point is there my discussing these things with you?
Look at my join date - Ive been playing this game competitively since its dawn. I've been a forerunner of Roy for many years. Only a handful of months ago Ken assured me there is no better Roy main playing in competition as is his knowledge. Rather than assuming you know everything there is to know about Roy perhaps try listening to what others have to say so you might further improve.
yes I know about the horizontal blazer, but it doesn't go very far anyway. and besides, I couldn't care less about your join date or how many posts you have or even how good you are. I'm done arguing with you.

Everyone - Roy's recovery is horrible.

2 - Everyone's recovery is better than Roy's

3 - getting spiked by Marth and Falco is a sign that you either A) need to learn to tech, or B) need to learn to DI.

4 - getting killed by meteor spikes happens but if it happens to you all the time then you should spend less time posting on these forums and more time reading them

I didn't really read what anyone said but the above statements should serve to settle any dispute fuel the fire
QFT

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I have horrible recovery with Roy. All I do is midair jump, DI, and up+B. So is there anything else I can do to help? I see some people say the first DED slash.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I have horrible recovery with Roy. All I do is midair jump, DI, and up+B. So is there anything else I can do to help? I see some people say the first DED slash.
do one or two of the first DED slash for horizontal distance, then jump, then blazer.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Yes it is.

And yeah, Roy's recovery is actually bad, but I find Mario's even worse. Using continous slash of the DED is quite useful though.

Hey, I used it lots of times in Dream Land, and it let Roy in the air, even if it was for an even shorter period of time than the first slash, but still works.

Top Bottom