• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Roy's Fox-Trot and Other Unique Movement Options (3rd fastest in the air!)

Wattz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sarcasticgengar
3DS FC
5412-9971-3818
Does he even have any?

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Does he even have any?
His recovery is even worse than in Melee lol. That and the changes to his D-tilt and neutral b are the only nerfs he's gotten really, and the dtilt one is debatable. All he can do is angle his up b horizontally to get more distance. It's still not awful especially with the buffs to up b but it's not good to be sure.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I mean, Side-B kind of works horizontally as long as you don't finish the move. And you can angle Up-B. Really the only bad things I can see about Roy atm. He seems pretty solid everywhere else.

Manta

Smash Cadet
So with 1.0.8, I see that the general consensus is that Roy is overall better than Marth. So being a Math main, I'm trying to do some training to see if Roy will be better for me, however, with Marth's 3x3x custom set, his recovery becomes amazing and seeing as Roy doesn't even get customs, I was wondering if up-special is really the only recovery move for Roy, I know you can angle it but it still seems pretty bad especially compared to the setup Marth has. Is there any other recovery move for Roy or is his recovery just bad/subpar?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
It's just bad haha. You can angle the Up B horizontally but the distance is still bad. As for comparing the too, Roy plays very, very differently from Marth. Roy is aggressive, Marth is defensive. He feels awesome tho, so if you like him go for it.

Manta

Smash Cadet
ah, ok thanks, never played Roy in Melee so I wasn't sure if there was some sort of trick for a better recovery.

FALCON (///_V)

Smash Rookie
I believe that Roy's fair gives him a boost for recovery when high up. Can anyone else confirm this.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Fox Trot:
Roy has extremely lenient frames in which he can dash again after a previous dash in order to Fox Trot. This is similar to Marth's fox trot. It gives you options with how you want to fox-trot. You can either spam the joystick as fast as you can for many small, short fox-trots, or delay the hitting of joystick for long, faster fox-trots. This means Roy is extremely easy to fox-trot with and has options with it too. Fox-trotting with a dash dance or perfect pivot can lead to many interesting tactics, and Roy should be the best or one of the best characters to utilize them.

Walking:
Roy walks across FD in about 2.725 seconds (median of using several tests while within 1/4x training mode, after dividing by 4). This is decently fast, but not as fast as Marth, who I measure to be 2.3025 using the same method. However, Roy's walk does have a unique property. For some odd reason, he appears to go a lot faster at the start of his walk when turning around with a walk. I'm unsure of why. Regardless, this may be useful with things like walking to avoid hits from opponents, especially aerials, and then punishing.

Running:
Roy runs fast (9th fastest, tested below). He crosses FD in 1.55 seconds (again, using the same method as the walks). This is faster than Marth, who crosses it in 1.675 seconds.

What's interesting about Roy's run is how fast he can stop from it by simply letting go of the joystick. It is actually faster to simply let go of the joystick and then attack than it is to shield from your run then attack. I tested this using 1/4x training mode (hold L).
1) Roll both to the side
2) Let go of L
3) Hold in towards the stage on both controllers
4) Press L for a little bit
5) Press R while pressing in towards the stage for the shielder
6) Tap L
7) Spam the A button on both characters, with no other inputs
8) Press L to see who can attack first.
You can use strategies like running towards opponents, stopping, then jabbing or forward smashing.

Through the air:
Roy has one of the fastest air speeds in the game. He can cover 3/4 of FD when using a FH and double jump, despite appearing to have a pretty fast falling speed. This is the same distance as Marth, but Roy clearly covers it much faster, meaning both his fall speed and horizontal air speed are faster. Roy also has a shorter jump height than Marth (more noticeable with his second jump). I decided to test how far Roy could go on Duck Hunt compared to Wario, the 3rd fastest character in the air, and they travel almost the same distance. However, in a fall speed test I did on the same level, Roy fell faster than Wario did. Therefore, Roy's air speed appears to be greater than Wario's, making it one of the fastest in the game. (this is confirmed later in the thread).

Roy can also be unpredictable while in the air. His side B is good for B-reversing, because it can allow you to double jump before you reach the ground. Roy's Bair turning you around also allows for some mix-ups. Finally, a low, reversed Up B can be used to take opponents off guard.

Dashing to Shield:
There's really no point to this. Roy's dash to shield is really long. You travel a very far distance between each dash -> shield. That's not good, because it limits your options. Furthermore, as I said before, it's faster for Roy to act out of simply letting go of the joystick than it is for him to act out of shielding from his run. This makes the only actual function of dashing or running into shield the protection the shield gives.

Roy sure has some interesting movement options here.

Last edited:

Gator

Smash Cadet
EDIT: got a video. this is what I'm talking about- http://www.instagram.com/p/3_eg29yiEF/?taken-by=its.gator (please excuse the quality, i don't have a capture card and my phone sucks at recording in the dark. this is the best i can do).
Well, i guess it doesn't matter if you're launched in the air or not, and this can just happen whenever. The last two times this happened, i was launched in the air after being hit, but this time i wasn't and it still happened. Either way, this is weird, and the original point of this thread still stands: why did this happen? and did this happen to anyone else?

-----
Ive been using roy a lot today and trying to figure him out and all that, but i noticed some weird exploit or glitch type thing while i was playing with him. I want to make sure im not the only one who has seen this and that im not going crazy lol I might make this sound weird but i'll try to explain it to the best of my ability.
What i noticed was, when i using roy and got hit and flew through the air, i did a mid air jump immediately afterwards, and for whatever reason jumped way higher than i should have, not just once, but two different times. Im not sure what exactly caused that to happen but thats what i wanna figure out. Idk if i did something different without realizing or if its just a random glitch or whatever. I dont exactly have any video recordings of it happening at the moment but i hope i described it ok without being confusing... Has anyone else noticed this happening?

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I haven't noticed this happening at all... What character were you playing against? And it would be nice if you could recreate it for a video, I want to see this.

Gator

Smash Cadet
I haven't noticed this happening at all... What character were you playing against? And it would be nice if you could recreate it for a video, I want to see this.
I will definitely save a replay if it happens to me again. I fought a bunch of random onling matches today and tbh i dont remember what characters i was fighting against either time. I didnt exactly think to take note of that, whoops lol. Im still going fg matches as im typing so hopefully it wont take too terribly long for it to happen again, if it does.

Asuptavay

Smash Rookie
It could possibly be a footstool - sometimes you get the big jump from it but they don't get sent down. Or did it happen when you weren't near or touching them?

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
I second what Asuptavay said. In many circumstances, you will get a super high additional jump by 'footstooling' your opponent. You don't necessary even have to footstool them (they don't go through the tumble animation). I'm not too familiar with when the foot stool comes out, but I do know that you can't footstool someone out of their Up+B. This probably applies to all/some attacks and you'll just jump super high for seemingly no reason.

p3ngw1nKing

Smash Cadet
I noticed something similar while playing against a G&W. He used a d-tilt on me right when I jumped and I went really high (like full hop + double jump + a little more). I'm not sure how it could have been a footstool in this circumstance, but I wouldn't doubt it either. I think this game just has a lot of strange quirks that don't make much sense.

p3ngw1nKing

Smash Cadet
I just tested this and didn't see any change in his recovery. I tested by going to FD in training mode and jumping forward from the respawn platform. All of his aerials had the same result as doing no moves: I always landed right at the edge.

Of course, his side-b actually no longer helps, and in fact makes his recovery worse. So don't use that if you might not make it back to the stage.

Gator

Smash Cadet
I noticed something similar while playing against a G&W. He used a d-tilt on me right when I jumped and I went really high (like full hop + double jump + a little more). I'm not sure how it could have been a footstool in this circumstance, but I wouldn't doubt it either. I think this game just has a lot of strange quirks that don't make much sense.
It definitely wasnt that, but i do know about g&w's down tilt does that. I accidentally did that with him once too and i was so confused until i came looking here, lol.
It could possibly be a footstool - sometimes you get the big jump from it but they don't get sent down. Or did it happen when you weren't near or touching them?
I second what Asuptavay said. In many circumstances, you will get a super high additional jump by 'footstooling' your opponent. You don't necessary even have to footstool them (they don't go through the tumble animation). I'm not too familiar with when the foot stool comes out, but I do know that you can't footstool someone out of their Up+B. This probably applies to all/some attacks and you'll just jump super high for seemingly no reason.
Definitely wasnt that either. It happened again last night after i made this thread, and all 3 times i wasnt touching the opponent. Although the third time it happened, it was slightly different. Instead of it happening after being launched in the air, this time it happened after my opponent did a (i think) back throw. i hit the ground, then got back up and i jumped one time immediately after. the height of the jump was about twice as high as a normal full hop. I made sure to save the replay and i'll make an instagram video or something and link it here later (the struggles of being broke and having no capture card, lol).

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Nope, that's definitely a footstool. If your opponent was in the middle of attack animation like a special, you can footstool him, he just doesn't suffer lag. I've pulled it off before.

Gator

Smash Cadet
Nope, that's definitely a footstool. If your opponent was in the middle of attack animation like a special, you can footstool him, he just doesn't suffer lag. I've pulled it off before.
Ah kk. Thats good to know, but that doesnt quite explain the other two times it happened to me, when i was in mid air and not near my opponents. That video was just a bad example i guess, my bad!

FALCON (///_V)

Smash Rookie
When i tested this i was high into the air off stage and had a noticible speed increase and distance when applied compared to just di. I still believe this may work

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
Something I noticed while testing Roy's edgeguard potential, is if you let go of the control stick while dashing, and immediately hit neutral B, he slides a little bit. This allows you to get right up to the ledge while charging his neutral B.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Could you test Roy's air speed using a Tanooki leaf? Go on one side of FD and see how long it takes for him to get to the other side, that will be more reliable to see if his air speed is indeed superior or comparable to Wario's.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Could you test Roy's air speed using a Tanooki leaf? Go on one side of FD and see how long it takes for him to get to the other side, that will be more reliable to see if his air speed is indeed superior or comparable to Wario's.
Sure.

Here, I start at the way edge of FD, with no previous speed, so the characters must accelerate to max speed
Roy's time: 10.13s/4 = 2.5325s
Wario's time: 9.98s/4 = 2.495s

Here, I start off the edge so that they are already at max speed by the time they are at the edge of FD.
Roy's time: 9.28s/4 = 2.32s
Wario's time: 9.49s/4 = 2.3725

Heh, his air speed is faster than his walk speed!

My test on Duck Hunt would have the characters already at maximum speed because they were running off of the tree, so the second results more align with that. Roy might be a little faster at max speed than Wario, but with a lower acceleration. However, I would say the results are too close together for us to gather who is the faster. I'll do a little confirmation test...

Yep, so this time I put them by each other each with the squirrel leaf and sent them both off with it through the air. It's as the results show. Wario pushes through, faster at the start because of his greater acceleration. However, one Roy reaches max speed, he creeps up on Wario. Roy front hand and Wario's back hand were both decently spaced apart at the start, but by the end they were touching (daw, they're holding hands!). Roy's max air speed is indeed faster than Wario's, and he has a comparatively worse horizontal air acceleration.

So...
http://smashboards.com/threads/smas...s-and-values-now-with-raw-real-values.383217/
Roy will take Wario's spot as 3rd fastest air speed in the game.

Now, let's test it compared to Jigglypuff! I'm not going to do the numbers this time, just going to have them go at the same time.

Yeah, Jigglypuff is just a little faster. So there you have it: between Wario and Jigglypuff, 3rd fastest in the air (not counting miis, customs, and Shulk's Monado Arts).

EDIT:
So with further testing, I have found Roy is the 9th fastest runner in the game (compared to this list). Faster than Meta Knight, slower than Charizard. However, Roy's initial dash is quite fast.

His walk speed is decently quick. I am having a hard time distinguishing between his walk speed and Wii Fit Trainer's walk speed, so he's right about there.

Last edited:

Dimpus

Smash Rookie
Woahhhh. Have any of you tried the extended dash dancing that was linked in the original post with roy. It's a little harder, but if you fox trot across the stage you can initiate a melee like dash dance (albeit definitely slower) at the beginning of any foxtrot. From what I've been able to do in about 10 minutes, I can only imagine what's possible if you actually put time into this.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Woahhhh. Have any of you tried the extended dash dancing that was linked in the original post with roy. It's a little harder, but if you fox trot across the stage you can initiate a melee like dash dance (albeit definitely slower) at the beginning of any foxtrot. From what I've been able to do in about 10 minutes, I can only imagine what's possible if you actually put time into this.
This has been in the game since the beginning and other chars have a much better one (like Marth himself). Still I think it's a useful technique and one that I am now finally beginning to use more since I am finally using a char with a decent initial dash animation/speed.

Dimpus

Smash Rookie
I'm messing with it in training mode and I think I'm starting to realize why it isn't used that much. Without the ability to wavedash out of a dashdance its utility is significantly reduced. Still I believe it is useful.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'm messing with it in training mode and I think I'm starting to realize why it isn't used that much. Without the ability to wavedash out of a dashdance its utility is significantly reduced. Still I believe it is useful.
I am using it a lot to bait out attacks. Also using just 1 turnaround to space myself from an attack and instantly dash grab. As in if I am too close to my opponent I do 1-2 Foxtrots away then instantly turn around into dash grab.

FALCON (///_V)

Smash Rookie
Could you please include a video of you doing this?
Unfortunately I can't but after doing it further and testing it I find that it may not change the distance but speeds Roy up towards the ledge significantly and makes his up b my viable in my opinion than simply di

Hiimmas

Smash Rookie
What's Roy's perfect pivot look like? I'm giving this tech a go for the first time and finding it exceptionally difficult for my clumsy hands. It's made even harder because I don't know what it's supposed to look like on Roy. =)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
What's Roy's perfect pivot look like? I'm giving this tech a go for the first time and finding it exceptionally difficult for my clumsy hands. It's made even harder because I don't know what it's supposed to look like on Roy. =)
They all look the same, he will just slide in idle stance. As for how useful it is, I don't think it's that useful on Roy honestly. You can space D-Tilts and Jabs I guess, but spacing U-Tilts or F-Tilts isn't that big of a deal, plus both of those moves have little range in general.

I think the biggest use for it is PP Down-Smash though but the problem is I can't manage to PP while looking forward which means that if I do a PP I can only hit with the 2nd hit of D-Smash which comes out too slow, so in my own personal case it isn't that useful since I can't do forwards PPs.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Thanks, I played him last night, keeping his air speed in mind is really key to spacing with him via short hops.

Top Bottom