• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Roy's Fox-Trot and Other Unique Movement Options (3rd fastest in the air!)

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
So, has anyone noticed that when you walk in the opposite direction Roy is facing that he walks abnormally fast? It's kind of cool. No one else seems to be able to do it either. Anyone think this might have any applications?

Also, turning around, throwing out a jab, shield etc. actually cancels the end lag of ftilt, downtilt, and jab similarly to jumping out of fair.

Turning around to cancel these allows an immediate fsmash to come out which is kind of nice. Though it's not really cancelling as much as just interrupting the move.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
So, has anyone noticed that when you walk in the opposite direction Roy is facing that he walks abnormally fast? It's kind of cool. No one else seems to be able to do it either. Anyone think this might have any applications?

Also, turning around, throwing out a jab, shield etc. actually cancels the end lag of ftilt, downtilt, and jab similarly to jumping out of fair.
How do you walk the opposite direction of where you're facing? Also how do you throw a jab before the f-tilt is done lagging?

If what you mean is that you can do anything before F-Tilt "lag" ends then that probably because you're mistaken about what lag is. Lag is considered to last until the IASA frames of the move or the first frame when you can input anything, not when the animation ends.

Last edited:

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
Yeah, I recall that's why ZeRo didn't call it cancelling. Regardless it lets moves like fsmash come out faster by doing a turn around animation first. By walk in the opposite direction I mean face one way then pull the stick in the opposite direction. It makes him walk faster.

Oh, it also let's you dash out of a whiffed tilt faster too by turning around first.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yeah, I recall that's why ZeRo didn't call it cancelling. Regardless it lets moves like fsmash come out faster by doing a turn around animation first. By walk in the opposite direction I mean face one way then pull the stick in the opposite direction. It makes him walk faster.
I am pretty sure you are mistaken in both accounts.

Turning around doesn't cancel the lag, it cancels the animation; the lag is already over. What I mean is, F-Tilt IASA frames are before Roy's animation returns to idle so you can input anything, you do not need to turn around to do so. There is no technique or anything involved, it's just the move has more frames animation Roy moving than it has frames that do not allow you to input a move.

As for the walk thing I think it's just your mind playing tricks on you because Roy has a very janky pivot in place animation which makes him slide without moving his feet so he looks like he is gliding the first frames of the walk after a pivot. He seems to cover distance at the exact same speed though (animations aside).

Try not to let animations in the game fool you about the mechanics that lie underneath. Sometimes animation aren't true to what's going on. Certain chars (like Mewtwo for example) have moves that do not have hitboxes where the moves show they do, or certain other have hitboxes where they don't show they do. Certain moves have lag even after the character is already in idle, and certain others (like Roy's F-Tilt) have the lag end before the animation does.

I think the easiest way to test this is making a huge stage and just timing yourself in 1/4th speed or racing 2 Roys concurrently. I just did both of those tests (did each test twice) on the biggest stage that I could make (in stage builder) and on both occasions the one that wasn't facing the opposite way was very slightly faster but it was a difference of 0.3-0.4 seconds in 1/4th time which is due to the fact that he didn't have to pivot before starting to walk. You are welcome to try yourself and prove me wrong though, I could have made a mistake, we all do.

Last edited:

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
Hmm, I see. Perhaps that is it. Turning around does help with the timing of inputs though, but I see it. You can input dash if you know the exact timing. Sorry still pretty new to this stuff.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Hmm, I see. Perhaps that is it. Turning around does help with the timing of inputs though, but I see it. You can input dash if you know the exact timing. Sorry still pretty new to this stuff.
No problem, we are all learning here :).

Daniel2210

Smash Rookie
I have heard a few people say that Roy has one of the best foxtrots in the game. I've never actually incorporated the foxtrot into any of my characters before, so I decided I'd finally start with Roy. I'm failing to see the usefulness in it, however. I've read that you can do almost anything out of a foxtrot, but I don't think I'm doing it right because whenever I try and do a smash or tilt I just do a dash attack. Does the timing of the foxtrot have to be absolutely perfect? What moves can you do out of a foxtrot if done correctly?

Also, once mastered, how can the foxtrot be of use to Roy? In your opinion, do you think it helps him very much? Thank you in advance for anyone who responds to this.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I commonly use fox-trotting for faking out my opponent and forcing them to react in a way they wouldn't if I was simply dashing at them. It can make your opponent do some really wacky and punishable things.

Shiarya

Smash Rookie
Yeah, you have to time it so when you do a dash, you can do a Smash attack that cancels the dash frames.

After watching that I'm starting to realize just how handicapped the regular 3ds is for smash 4, fox trotting isn't overly hard, but no c stick makes it a fairly big pain/impossible to kara smash it seems, lol.

The kara smash combined with perfect foxtrot canceling looks so god damn abusive and strong when pulled off, really thinking i need a circle pad pro, or a wii u and a new copy of smash 4, the more i learn about endgame competitive smash the more i feel my 3ds is holding me back lol, not that i'm anywhere near the cap point for my system by any standard.

Top Bottom