• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy vs. Recovering Opponents

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
I searched, and strangely couldn't find anything on this.

The hardest thing I have with playing Roy is dealing with opponents recovering.
I'm sure this is the hardest others should be having too.

From videos, and matches played by pros such as Musashi or Neo, they would do things such as:

-Ledge hogging and ledge tricks.
-Doing moves while standing near the edge, such as forward smash, neutral B, forward B
-Counter
-Jump at the opponent with a neutral air.
-Jump in with a back air (Roy can't go too far with this.

of all these, forward smash is Roy's best friend when the opponent is at or below the stage level. But when they are in a position where they "could land" above the stage, it's hard to come up with a good approach to finishing characters off.

Unless you hit the opponent with Roy's armpit, Roy's air moves are mostly useless for finishing people off. Not only that, but Roy's recovery and falling speed make a bad combo for doing anything too useful with his airmoves.

I am posting to ask if anybody knows any useful practical options against recovering opponents.
The most practical to me right now is the basics: anticipate if the opponent is trying to land on the platform or the ledge, ledge hog/punish accordingly.f

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
i believe it's all character dependant. Spacies i find are good to ledgeguard with the flareblade/counter. however ive been working on some things that *might* work vs some of the harder chars to ledgeguard.

Marth ive found it best to hang on to the edge and roll a little early so you dont get level spiked by that dolphin.

But like you said for a lot of characters, you just have to get good at guessing.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Lucky for us our main sweetspot prevention tool also hits platforms above us in the same swipe. Charge your Flare Blade and wait for them to make their move. If they have the option to aim for the platform above the stage, they obviously don't have the needed distance to sweetspot the ledge low enough to avoid your neutral B, so it should be a one size fits all kind of deal. If they're not too close, you should have the reaction time to hit them either way.

If you're on the ledge trying to hog it and they start charging, you can drop, jump back, back air, and still be able to regrab the ledge with a curved up-B.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
also, i think it'd be a good idea for you to play marth. much much much better character.

Sukai

Smash Champion
also, i think it'd be a good idea for you to play marth. much much much better character.
No **** sherlock.
He chose Roy.

Short hop (or Full hop) to Flare Blade shuts down all types of recoveries.
Or reverse Flare Blade for the under-the-stage types.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
No **** sherlock.
He chose Roy.
I guess he is stuck in low-tier land for the rest of his life......

btw, this is a tip for edge guarding anyone with anyone: hit them where they are going (preferably AWAY, but its your call), but make sure can get back to the stage before they do (or otherwise be out of lag, 'in a neutral position')

Sukai

Smash Champion
care to elaborate? flaming isn't cool.
Thought you'd never ask.
I'm flaming? After you made that comment about him being low tier forever? Clearly it wasn't funny and perhaps a deliberate insult at his choice to main Roy. Everyone at this point knows that Marth is superior to Roy, so I'm sure he knows as well. Telling him to drop Roy and play Marth, because he's Top tier is simply shallow, and your "low tier land" comment was just as shallow. He chose to play Roy most likely because he thinks Roy is fun to play, that's the predominant reason anyone mains any middle or lower tier character--and even a few top tier players.
Questioning/making fun of his decision, because it wasn't Top tier is shallow, amongst other adjectives I can think of.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Thought you'd never ask.
I'm flaming? After you made that comment about him being low tier forever? Clearly it wasn't funny and perhaps a deliberate insult at his choice to main Roy. Everyone at this point knows that Marth is superior to Roy, so I'm sure he knows as well. Telling him to drop Roy and play Marth, because he's Top tier is simply shallow, and your "low tier land" comment was just as shallow. He chose to play Roy most likely because he thinks Roy is fun to play, that's the predominant reason anyone mains any middle or lower tier character--and even a few top tier players.
Questioning/making fun of his decision, because it wasn't Top tier is shallow, amongst other adjectives I can think of.
you're way too up tight if you think i was insulting him. the low tier land comment was referring to you, though.

"shallow" always was a weird word. It has a negative connotation, but what is wrong with liking the best thing?

Sukai

Smash Champion
you're way too up tight if you think i was insulting him. the low tier land comment was referring to you, though.

"shallow" always was a weird word. It has a negative connotation, but what is wrong with liking the best thing?
Having it directed at me doesn't make it any less shallow.
There's nothing wrong with wanting what's best, but ridiculing others who have different views is pretty high schoolish.
Different views is what makes the community. Without it there'd be no diversity.
But for some reason, we can't agree to disagree.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Having it directed at me doesn't make it any less shallow.
There's nothing wrong with wanting what's best, but ridiculing others who have different views is pretty high schoolish.
Different views is what makes the community. Without it there'd be no diversity.
But for some reason, we can't agree to disagree.
i have no problem man. i didn't ridicule anyone. read the posts, you're the one that has been attacking me, not the other way around.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
thx dogy. why i even brought marth in, was because his edge guard game is essentially the same (minus the offstage gimping)

keep it mixed up with bair/fair if they try to go above, and fsmash or hog if they go low.

Rykard

Smash Ace
like someone said before, its character dependent. I prefer to edgeguard spacies from the stage and others from the ledge. something that i do which works well is to edgehog and then do a ledge hopped up air onto the stage and combo it into an F-smash if they try and land on the stage. also his forward tilt is amazing but nobody ever uses it to edgeguard for some reason

Sukai

Smash Champion
Uh huh, I didn't "attack" you, I sarcastically pointed out that it's obvious Marth is better than Roy, and therefore goes without saying.
Then you said something about me--apparently--being low tier for the rest of my life.
Yeah, that's ridicule.
I've iterated my topic-relevant 2 cents.
Short or Full hop Flare Blade is really good for predictable recoveries. Reverse the Flare Blade for those who like to recover under the stage (Marth, Luigi, Falcon, etc).

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
if u dont have ample time to fsmash, a neutral a jab can put the recovering char in a position where you would have enough time to fsmash.

seriously playing marth improved my edge game with roy. you shouldnt use marth just for that purpose though.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I've iterated my topic-relevant 2 cents.
Short or Full hop Flare Blade is really good for predictable recoveries. Reverse the Flare Blade for those who like to recover under the stage (Marth, Luigi, Falcon, etc).
Yea flare blade is amazing for edgeguarding. I like to act like I'm guarding the ledge and then jump onto a platform while charging flare blade. It works every time.

At high percents just jumping off with a flare blade usually does the trick.

DJMirror

Smash Master
I guess whenever i play roy, I just edgeguard like I'm playing Marth (i'm a marth main)

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
well spacies are easy
just has to do with cover options and spacing them well
if they fire(insert animal here) below the ledge you can
A) ledgehog if they sweetspot
or B) counter, it will most likely kill falco since it doesnt have a set knockback
and set up for marth-esque gimps, or flareblade :D

if they illusion/phantasm to sweetspot you can d-tilt them>flare/Fsmash/fair/nair
and if they are too high you can jab them to wait for the reaction, in most cases is a pourly initiated up b, thus counter.

if they up b very high, not aiming for the ledge, more the stage
follow them and fmash
same with illusion

marth im guessing is just alot of ledgehogging and hopping, kinda how most other characters deal with sheik
wait till they come up on the stage and fmash lol

falcon is a flareblade away from the blast zone, d-tilt if they sweet stop forward
edgehog if they reverse sweetstop

uhh jiggs and peach are a ***** since youll get killed if you mess up a ledge hopped flareblade
and youll get punished for a fmash is it misses.. which it prolly will
full hop fairs and nairs i guess
stay on the stage

anyone else?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Against Jiggs you'd probably would want to avoid Fairs and Nairs and stick to U-airs.

The reason being is that Roy already has poor air mobility and Jigglypuff has more control and basically owns the air horizontal-wise.

However you can poke at her from below with well spaced U-airs and DED as she really doesn't have much to throw at you from above. From there on you could finish with a well placed DED or F-Smash.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
uhh jiggs and peach are a ***** since youll get killed if you mess up a ledge hopped flareblade
and youll get punished for a fmash is it misses.. which it prolly will
What's nice about fsmash is that it's one of those few moves in the game that, if shielded, can't really be punished. The shield stun is just too good.

Neutral A is pretty good against Peach and Jiggs because they have to float in to hit you, but your sword outranges all of their moves. This is dependent on the angle, though, of course. And you can also knock away Peach's turnips easily with this move.

Retreating fair is sweet. Allows you to create space between you and their high priority aerials.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
the best edge guard is smackin the controller out of there hand and saying " i swear there was a spider "

but really its not THAT hard to edge guard. especially against spacies.

Top Bottom