• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Video Thread 2.0

Aar

Smash Cadet
lol at roy crew vs dk crew. your roy is pretty beast though. do like.
yea it was alright but i noticed that alot of the times when his roy would hit and go for a second shffl attk he could have ded'd many times. ded is roys game play it. but i like the mobility. i prefer using the middle frame of dd instead of wd but they are both useful and situational.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Ded is easily CC'd Most people CC till 3rd hit and attack on reaction now. I only DED if they're in the air or at high percent.

Aar

Smash Cadet
but deds first two attacks are quick enough to come out and the third has kb

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I don't DED unless they're spacies. > ^ > is the only one I use or if I want to get a quick gimp. Near the edge down throw, DED > > ^.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
DED is kinda like a glass cannon move.

>^- used when they are in the air if DI'd into you sets up for a nair or a grab.
>>- spaced properly against a shield can make people whiff a grab or roll away if they're afraid of a shield poke.
>^>- best for fastfallers and shield poking hit 2. be wary people can DI into you and end up behind you. punish this by ending DED on hit 2 and putting them in grab/other punish range.
>^v- can shield poke hit 2 or 3. useful for anytime the shield is below full.
>^^/>>^- sexy gimping power, weight dependent.

4th hits
use sparingly
^ shield poke of the gods. if you land this it's instant death. it can poke on the top or bottom of a shield and is wonderful vs people on platforms.
> i don't really have a use for this other than a mixup. i guess you could use it if someone meteor cancels your DED spike.
V good for shield poking and covering unexpected distance. i think i would use this over > to guard meteor canceled DED spikes, either that or I would cc fsmash/dsmash.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Good gosh Sethlon, you're ridiculous at pressing your advantage on hit.

Also really liked the dtilt/turn around dtilt (which you used more in teams.)
Dtilt on shield into pivot fsmash looks incredibly good. Are you pivoting with A or Cstick? /wants to steal
For techchasing, dtilting the standing tech and fsmashing one in is awesome too. (Especially when the opponent is limited by the edge) /steals

Counters looked good, don't get discouraged with them. They looked unlucky, but I think it's more about application at this point. (As in, eventually they will pay off a lot more.)

Also watching your edgeguarding on marth was overall quite a pleasure. I'm actually most interested in the Marth matchup atm, but I figured discussing fox was more important given commonality of the character--although marth is more dominant in Central FL. Really liked the gimp to finish teams match 2.2; I think Roy has an incredible (underdeveloped) gimp game on Marth.

One thing, especially during BF vs Falco, there were several times where you had him grabbed on platform (with your back facing the majority of the plat,) and you uthrew to try to regrab on the top platform. If you opted for a dthrow there, you'll get a similar limited techchase opportunity, but without the frame disadvantage of having to jump to the higher platform. Added bonus being if he tries to DI to the higher platform, he'll bad-DI the dthrow. Just something that occurred to me.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Dtilt on shield into pivot fsmash looks incredibly good. Are you pivoting with A or Cstick? /wants to steal
Cstick. :)

Counters looked good, don't get discouraged with them. They looked unlucky, but I think it's more about application at this point. (As in, eventually they will pay off a lot more.)
Trouble is I've been working on them for years now, haha. Still not really satisfied with 'em, but not much else Roy can do out of shield, so I'll still keep using it.

Also watching your edgeguarding on marth was overall quite a pleasure. I'm actually most interested in the Marth matchup atm, but I figured discussing fox was more important given commonality of the character--although marth is more dominant in Central FL. Really liked the gimp to finish teams match 2.2; I think Roy has an incredible (underdeveloped) gimp game on Marth.
I agree, marth is quite gimpable. Very unsafe gimps though, if marth squeezes by then **** goes south reeeeal quick. I'm sure you noticed my first attempted gimp on the marth earlier in that match, got me killed at a low percent.

One thing, especially during BF vs Falco, there were several times where you had him grabbed on platform (with your back facing the majority of the plat,) and you uthrew to try to regrab on the top platform. If you opted for a dthrow there, you'll get a similar limited techchase opportunity, but without the frame disadvantage of having to jump to the higher platform. Added bonus being if he tries to DI to the higher platform, he'll bad-DI the dthrow. Just something that occurred to me.
I'm upset that I've never thought of this. Very good catch!

Paramedic

Smash Rookie
Sethlon: Your Roy inspires me to not give up on mine. Seriously/realtalk. Good stuff mang, really gave me some ideas with the Marth MU.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
@Sethlon - Thanks for the video's and research materials. Might sound childish, but more please.
Thats the reason why I upload these vids :) Glad to see you're finding use of them.

New vids up from No More Mr. Rice Guy;
Winners finals;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7ZXcGgBFE&list=PL8EA48D6CC7387C9A&index=4&feature=plpp_video

Loser's finals;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg3YqBCsjWE&list=PL8EA48D6CC7387C9A&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Grand finals;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMAjhs7uTug&list=PL8EA48D6CC7387C9A&index=1&feature=plpp_video

And vids from the last Dallas monthly;

vs Thoraxe (Luigi) 1
vs Thoraxe (Marth) 2

Winners Finals;
vs Dojo (falco) 1
vs Dojo (falco) 2
vs Dojo (falco) 3
vs Dojo (falco) 4

Grand Finals;
vs UTDZac (Peach) 1
vs UTDZac (Peach) 2
vs UTDZac (Peach) 3

Roysourboy666

Smash Apprentice
@KingClubber Yeah I saw it, thank you for your comment :)

Oh , and Sethlon , your Roy ROCKS! !!!!!! :p
those upthrows kills against that peach in GF :p
Were you 1st in this tournament???? I wanna know everything about that set :p :p :p
It was the first time I saw UTDZac in that video so... :)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
ripple vs. Tang Apex 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpR-BPQwuDU

after 2 years of not playing this game, I got so close
Good stuff! Added to the front.

Oh , and Sethlon , your Roy ROCKS! !!!!!! :p
those upthrows kills against that peach in GF :p
Were you 1st in this tournament???? I wanna know everything about that set :p :p :p
It was the first time I saw UTDZac in that video so... :)

Yeah, I ended up taking 1st that tournament. UTDZac is actually a really oldschool peach player, he started playing about the same time I did. Hasn't traveled near as much as me, and he mainly played brawl once that came out, but we're roommates now, so I've convinced him to pick up melee a bit again.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Ripple, you're fast! I like your style, it's very laid back and you don't just seek a kill. You wait for the right moment, which as Roy, most people wouldn't. Most Roy's just f-smash, but you are really smart about it. I like your Roy~

Roysourboy666

Smash Apprentice
Yeah and not only you are a fast paced Roy Ripple , but you are a RED ROY !!! :p I really like that
I would also like to have my red roy against yours (so you can rip the **** out of me)! :p lol but I live in Canada so...
And obviously I would be the washed out red roy :p lolololol (by doing the trick to have the same color,....btw, how do we do that?)

I lol'd pretty hard when I saw the tier list for Roy's color choice :) I agree with the green thing but...well, I just kinda like the fact that Roy is red headed, and a red sword, so , why not the red armor and cape, to fit all that Ph1r3 !!!!

Bing

Smash Master
So I was just watching a few of these videos and it lead me to a few questions..

1. I noticed that you(sethlon) liked to use dancing blade on shield a lot, and you got ****ed up for it a few times, and you got ko's and shield pokes for it a few times. So basically its a high risk high reward tactic. so what Im asking is, as a newer Roy, would you recommend this?

2. Roy seems to be a "**** them up or get ****ed up" type of character and I see that if you're not on there ***, the moment shifts. So would you recommend being highly aggressive, or be cautious?

I had more questions but I got distracted by my new phone...

umm... Also, what are Roy's 2 least used colours?(I like standing out a bit, and using Roy just isnt enough)

camerino1

Smash Lord
I'd say the blue/silver one and basic colour. I know that Green and Red are most used, and gold would be next (Even though it's my least favourite).

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Red just looks too cool. For some reason I just don't like the original color. Sword tag for top tier

:phone:

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
How do I get in on this page? ^^

Do I just link some recent videos of my Roy?

i wanna help contribute too

<3 sethlon, Ripple, Roy players unite

EDIT: and my title can be like.. uhhh he plays Yoshi, wait what? or something <--- lol idk

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
1. I noticed that you(sethlon) liked to use dancing blade on shield a lot, and you got ****ed up for it a few times, and you got ko's and shield pokes for it a few times. So basically its a high risk high reward tactic. so what Im asking is, as a newer Roy, would you recommend this?
You're talking about the times I use the 4th swing, right? Roy has a hard time finishing people sometimes, so IMO its worth it to use as a high risk/high reward. For newer Roy players I wouldn't recommend it; you need to know a good deal of in depth stuff to be able to actually pull it off (have to have been conditioning them to not roll behind you with DED tap -> punish, have to know when Roy can shield stab on what characters, have to know if they'll jump/shield grab/sidestep/do nothing/etc). But if you can get the reads and want to take the risk, more power to you.

2. Roy seems to be a "**** them up or get ****ed up" type of character and I see that if you're not on there ***, the moment shifts. So would you recommend being highly aggressive, or be cautious?
Roy IMO isn't that good at all out aggression; hes not so bad he can't attack period, but if your opponent isn't off balance most characters defense > his attack. Even when Roy has the advantage, IMO aside from tech chasing he shouldn't be right on top of them; too many characters have fast moves with little range to get him off of them (shine, luigi/peach/samus nair) or moves that just demolish up close if the Roy messes up (sheik grab, peach dsmash). When pressing the advantage, you want to be just inside of sweetspot range, so that you can still attack optimally, but be out of range of other characters superior up close moves.

Killing is a different matter though; unfortunately roy has pretty much 0 ways to set up kills safely. Calculated risks will be required for even the most cautious players. (This actually applies very much to me; for a long time I've been a really cautious player, but I've been realizing in the past year or so that it isn't enough; gotta get them kills in somehow.)

How do I get in on this page? ^^

Do I just link some recent videos of my Roy?

i wanna help contribute too

<3 sethlon, Ripple, Roy players unite

EDIT: and my title can be like.. uhhh he plays Yoshi, wait what? or something <--- lol idk
Yepyep, just gotta link to vids of your Roy, and as long as its high enough level play (which I know yours is) then I'll copy over the links :)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Woooot, ok I guess i'll get my area started... Uhhhh yeah here we go.. only 3 so far, but I'll get more very soon ^^

vs Axe - (Falco/Fox) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41COdIJ-wyo&feature=relmfu
vs Axe - (Marth) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9M9S1SLnj8&feature=relmfu
vs Jetfour (Falcon) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANRagFE5nak&feature=relmfu

Idk why, but so far the marth MU hasn't been too bad for me, and I play some pretty high level Marth's here.. So far for me, Falcon has been the difficult one for me.. :(

Anyway hope this is enough for now Sethlon ^^

I'll get more soon too, I've tons recorded on my laptop vs Pika, Link, Luigi, and more high tiers too ^^

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Axe's marth looks like garbage compared to Dart's marth.

also, I can't wait to see some newer vids.

Top Bottom