• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy: Tip and Tricks

Shintarru

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1676-4016-3956
Surprised pivot fsmash hasn't been mentioned yet. Any tricks to get the timing or is it just practice?

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so where exactly do you have to be to land Roy's Dair's meteor? The best I can guess is almost touching them near the hilt/center of his sword? I'm really unsure.
I know with Roy, when spacing, his attacks do most damage at the center of the blade. So, I think the d-air sweet strike is around there, maybe closer to the hilt. Not sure, I have trouble spacing with Roy to get that middle-of-the-blade effect with most of his moves, including his d-air.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Hey, are there any aerials that land in the auto-cancel frames if you short-hop into fastfall while doing it--any that don't need L-canceling to execute properly?

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it does actually. I have managed to do it a couple of times. There is also a thread with a video of a guy showing people how to get the flame spike on the d-air. You can definitely do it.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
This is true, sorry, I just kind of combine the terms occasionally. My bad. They both send foes down.

ita16

Smash Rookie
Reverse aerial rush. Its where u dash and u know when u turn around and u slow down to go the other way. During the animation u jump and u have forward momentum but with ur back towards the play the player. It might have explained it bad. U may wanna look it up

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Ok, so where exactly do you have to be to land Roy's Dair's meteor? The best I can guess is almost touching them near the hilt/center of his sword? I'm really unsure.
It's definitely on the hilt of his sword, or his arm pretty much. What I do is pretty much treat the attack almost like Jigg's Rest, because if you slightly overlap your body with theirs, that meteor Dair will pretty much always hit. I've noticed that there seems to be more hitbox on top and of Roy too (as well as his back). Trying to use it while directly below them will almost always guarantee a meteor.

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
It's definitely on the hilt of his sword, or his arm pretty much. What I do is pretty much treat the attack almost like Jigg's Rest, because if you slightly overlap your body with theirs, that meteor Dair will pretty much always hit. I've noticed that there seems to be more hitbox on top and of Roy too (as well as his back). Trying to use it while directly below them will almost always guarantee a meteor.
Actually, it isn't on the hilt of his sword. Go on over to this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/roy-frame-data-3-02.349876/
The second post is all hitbox animations. The d-air hitbox is on his wrist/arm and his head.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Tips and tricks are nice but consistency will always be king. Especially in a series like Smash, ESPECIALLY with a character like Roy. Everyone should have their feet firmly planted in fundamentals before they go for gimmicks or one offs.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Tips and tricks are nice but consistency will always be king. Especially in a series like Smash, ESPECIALLY with a character like Roy. Everyone should have their feet firmly planted in fundamentals before they go for gimmicks or one offs.
Lol. Thanks for the "tip".

Last edited:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
^ This. Picking up a strong gimmick might help you more in the short term, but you're going to be in a world of hurt in the long term if you don't flesh out your fundamentals at the same time.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
^ This. Picking up a strong gimmick might help you more in the short term, but you're going to be in a world of hurt in the long term if you don't flesh out your fundamentals at the same time.
So what would you guys define as the fundamentals for Roy?

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
On certain characters at certain percentages, you can Dtilt -> Fair -> reverse Bair. If you hit them with the Fair from a diagonal angle, you'll actually fall past them and they'll be flying toward you. You can then do use the mid-air hop to bair them, which will launch them forward instead of backwards. If you pull this off correctly off-stage, you can actually catch the ledge afterwards without using Side-B or your Up-B. I just recorded and uploaded a short clip to see what I mean:

I noticed you have a more of a chance of pulling this off on chars that are in the middle of the weight spectrum. Anybody else discover/use this?

Last edited:

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I feel like trying to learn marth and his spacing, dash-dancing, grab game, and
On certain characters at certain percentages, you can Dtilt -> Fair -> reverse Bair. If you hit them with the Fair from a diagonal angle, you'll actually fall past them and they'll be flying toward you. You can then do use the mid-air hop to bair them, which will launch them forward instead of backwards. If you pull this off correctly off-stage, you can actually catch the ledge afterwards without using Side-B or your Up-B. I just recorded and uploaded a short clip to see what I mean:

I noticed you have a more of a chance of pulling this off on chars that are in the middle of the weight spectrum. Anybody else discover/use this?
I can actually see this also being a good combo to lead into a meteor spike with Dair as a flashier option lol. Dtilt>Fair>Dair since it'll put you in a perfect place for his sweetspot. I really like the Dtilt>fair>bair off stage setup, it's definitely something i wanna try out in my games

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
That fair into bair stuff is hot. I used to often try basically the same thing except with a dair to make it a fiery Ken combo, but this is way more practical.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Successfully fair -> bair'd my friend's Yoshi to death. Seeing the double jump armor take the hit and simply stop in mid air was glorious.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
So what would you guys define as the fundamentals for Roy?
Spacing, movement (around platforms and off of the ledge and just moving around), understanding that your double jump/DED swings are your life lines when recovering and thus saving them as long as possible, throw/tech chase setups and understanding how to combo characters of different weight and fall speed.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'd also kick in getting a good grasp of a few cheese set ups, as Roy can sneak in really early kills if you know how. Not to be relied on, but nice if you can whip it out.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I think sethlon hit the nail on the head for this one. spacing, mobility, knowing your recovery limits, and the grab/tech chase game/combo setups.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Sourspot aerials -> just about anything works at mid-ish percents. His Dsmash also has really quick startup and pokes below shields nicely. Finishing off aerial combos with nB kills pretty early, too. I find that Roy is a lot better at mid percents than he is at high percents, so killing early is a must otherwise you're going to have a tough time.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Sourspot aerials -> just about anything works at mid-ish percents. His Dsmash also has really quick startup and pokes below shields nicely. Finishing off aerial combos with nB kills pretty early, too. I find that Roy is a lot better at mid percents than he is at high percents, so killing early is a must otherwise you're going to have a tough time.
I sort of agree? He still has the ability to combo at higher percents, and can much more capably confirm into kill than Marth can near the 100% range.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
He can combo at higher percentages, but because his sweetspot is relatively small he can't always get into kill range. Sourspot uairs seem to be his best combo option at higher percents.

swiftwinter

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this is already known or not (haven't seen it mentioned in this thread), but while I was messing around with Roy, I found a neat way to help land his sweetspot dair offstage more often. When you're running to the edge of the stage and they are trying to jump up or whatever, just turn your back and then do the SH dair. Having your back turned makes landing the sweetspot SO much easier, at least for me. Not sure how helpful this is as it's still not a true spike, but thought I'd share anyway. Attached a video to show.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I've found the same thing, but it's easy to forget, so thanks for posting.

And good first post. You'd be surprised how many people's first moments on these forums are "THIS CHARACTERS JANK, LEVEL 9 CPU OP".

Spralwers

Smash Ace
The good part about that ^^ (basically reverse dair) is that instead of doing it in a Ken Combo situation where the opponent is higher up (and basically guarantees them a chance to up B meteor cancel and catch the edge), they are much more level with the stage and will travel down much farther before they can meteor cancel. It's not a true spike, but the probably of killing with it when used that way shoots way up.

Also if we wanna keep making Ken Combo references, you can call the fair -> bair situation a variation of the European Ken Combo. Since the spike isn't as effective in PAL (I forget how exactly), PAL Marths use reverse up B instead of dair. In Roy's case, he uses bair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom