• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy: Tip and Tricks

moltenrokk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moltenrokk
Decided to make a thread incase someone comes up with any neat tricks we find out about Roy. Post and share them here.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Frankly, all his tilts are really good now.

Roy has lots of techchase setups. Throws at low percent, 3rd hit of DED, Dtilt > Dair (which is a sweet combo in its own right), etc. Make them count!

Also, Fsmash is sooooooo amazing.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Ok, so where exactly do you have to be to land Roy's Dair's meteor? The best I can guess is almost touching them near the hilt/center of his sword? I'm really unsure.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Yeah, you have to be pretty darn close to on top of the opponent. I think the sweetspot is slightly larger behind Roy, too. I just edited my sig to include a video where I landed a sweet combo - I got two Dair meteors in it, so you could check it out for a better visual.

DaTalkingFrog

Smash Rookie
First thing that's really noticeable is Roy's attack range. While it doesn't seem to quite match Marth's, it's still really good. Also I'm not sure yet, but it seems like his grab range is pretty close to Marth's too? Would be nice to get some hitbox data for comparisons. Either way, with Roy's buffs it seems like even if you sourspot most of his aerials then can setup to combo.

So far I've had some success with:
Weak Fair -> Grab
Fair -> Ftilt (Good when they get hit too far horizontally from fair)
Fair -> Dtilt -> EVERYTHING (Only works if they're near the floor after fair)

Not sure how consistent this is but maybe a Ken combo is possible?
http://youtu.be/zcoRNbZeNtU?t=16s
If you watch closely though, it seems like the Samus recovers before the dair even starts, so it looks like bad reactions on the Samus player's part.

Judging from the Roy reveal trailer, 3.0 trailer footage, and Neo vs. JCaesar it seems like uair -> dsmash might work. Fair -> dsmash might work too. We need to test this.

I've tried fair -> utilt like Marth but the problem is that Roy swings his sword a bit slower and the swing starts from behind him rather than in front of him. This could work out if you quickly pivot right after the fair, but I'm not very good at it so I don't know how viable it is.

Dtilt is god-like for setups since it's great for poking feet and knocks enemies upwards. Also, because Roy still retains his god-like SHFFL speed from Melee, his uair is great for juggling when the opponent is above you, especially if they're stuck on a platform on top of you. Uair is great for setting up into more uairs, fair, and maybe even a sourspot dair. You can finish the string up with fsmash, nair, bair, sweetspot dair, and American Idol usmash which can actually do something besides be referenced under American Idol unlike Marth.

I'm not a Brawl player so I don't DACUS, but it would be nice to know if there's any situations where a DACUS would be useful. Also I'm pretty sure that usmash can be smash-DI'd out of, but there seems to be a lot of hitstun on it and it can send enemies at a weird trajectory so maybe there's an option that Roy can do to cover this issue?

I've found that dsmash seems to come out faster than fsmash so, although it's not as powerful as a sweetspotted fsmash, it seems to be a bit safer option than fsmash and has a good amount of hitstun and knockback to help you gain momentum in a match.

So far the dair is tricky to spike with for me, probably because I'm so used to Marth's. Then again, it seems like most of my flubs are due to being used to Marth especially with the fact that Roy's sword range seems to be a bit shorter, but I'm guessing that'll go away with time.

Bair is a bit hard for me land when SHFFLing. It seems to work better in an air-to-air situation, but honestly it's a lot like Ike's bair so I'm pretty sure Ike mains won't have this problem. I probably need to get used to it is all. It also turns you around like Marth's bair, not sure if Ike had that too.

Side-B seems to be pretty great for eating up shields and getting shield stabs especially when it comes to the forth downward hit. The third hit in the combo is really strong and if it lands it leads to huge knockback.

Neutral-B seems to be good for edgeguarding since you don't need to sweetspot it and it'll still have powerful knockback when it lands. It comes out relatively quickly too.

I haven't played many fastfallers yet so I can't say much about uthrow, but at low percents fthrow, bthrow, and dthrow are great setups for tech chasing.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
At some point I'll try to DACUS as a follow-up to F-throw or something against floaties. And yeah, that Ken Combo thing was probably avoidable, but it's entirely possible that it works in other situations/on other characters.

Also, quick question: how do you link a youtube video so that it starts at at a certain time like you did?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
is the spike on roys up smash still in existence? the one where you hit with only the tip?

additonally, i roys neutral B seems to be a very reliable alternate to the classic ken combo. not as much tight spacing is needed, and even uncharged its pretty powerful. I imagine neutral air could work the same way with its buff.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I don't think Nairing offstage would be the best idea with Roy's falling speed. And yes, the Usmash spike is still very much a thing. I actually popped a grounded opponent up with a sweetspot Dair, combo'd into Usmash, and got the spike. Soooo much fire.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Here's just a few things I've done, that I thought was nice~
Dair on stage pretty much leads to anything at most %'s. Some of the better follow ups at lower % would be utilt, which leads into so many other options, you could go for a grab and I bet you could go for a even a sweet spotted usmash(mid % er so). Once you get the person to about 100% er so, you can start fishing for kills after a dair. Utilt into a grab is cool. I don't really know how to put DB into my play really though. The only thing I've done with it so far, is one hit of it and then grab, basic Marth stuff. Also, B reverse off stage is pretty good at gimping.

Not sure if this is helpful to you guys though, but sharing is caring!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Forward throw > pivot F smash seems to work pretty well on certain characters, but likely only if they flub the DI. Still, pivot fsmash with Roy is pretty godly since you don't have to be that concerned with spacing to land a strong fsmash.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
is the spike on roys up smash still in existence? the one where you hit with only the tip?

additonally, i roys neutral B seems to be a very reliable alternate to the classic ken combo. not as much tight spacing is needed, and even uncharged its pretty powerful. I imagine neutral air could work the same way with its buff.
Roy can still spike with his Upsmash, I did it last night.

pressokman

Smash Apprentice
Roy can jump cancel his side-b oos and remain on the ground. seems really good at getting out of shield pressure. same thing with oos counter. remains grounded and it comes out really fast

jtm94

Smash Lord
Imma be trying out some Roy. My buddy tried him and he's a Marth secondary main, so he tried to play him like Marth and it didn't work that well....

His recovery is indeed sad tier, but I love how far you can angle UpB and how far it digs through the stage.

Dair was my goto move for comboing, also loving utilt. Nair is crazy strong seeming to me, I love it. The final hit of his side B is super hammer down.

If people can find a way to consistently combo into Dsmash that will be too good because that, neutral b, and bair were my main kill moves against my friends.

Also does anyone else think heis grabs have too much knockback growth? UpThrow starts almost being a kill move against floaties and at High% the throws stop being useful to me. I haven't played against fastfallers though..

FirexBolt

Smash Rookie
Aerials
D-air = Meteor Smash at the hilt. I thinks it's best to be facing away from the opponent because it appears to have a wider swinging motion which allows for a bigger % of getting his meteor smash. Even if you don't it still might hit them off to the side :/

B-air = This is more of a "con and pro" move. I've noticed that if i try to hit my opponent with a b-air like you normally do this i sometimes get the sourspot. When I'm facing them and I use it, at least i believe this to be true, it almost always sweetspots.

F-air = Use it like you would with Marth and push them away.

U-air = I use this after a f-air out of U-throw to set up for an f-smash.

N-air = 1 word. Approach. This move is my go to move if i'm approaching and it also finishes quite nicely.

Tilts
D-tilt = You should already know. Setups.

F-tilt = I sometimes use it, it's iffy for me.

U-tilt = I mostly use this to edgeguard. If you hit them right it'll send them the opposite way Roy's facing

Grabs
F-throw = This chaingrabs so well, I thought it'd be like Marth's where it only works a couple of times, but it's better than that.

U-throw = On fast fallers it works for an F-smash, but on heavy people it setups up so much stuff.

D-throw = Eh, never really like it

B-throw = Same as d-throw :/

Smashes
F-smash = Go to kill move. All day. Every day.

D-Smash = I like it a lot, and i think it's better than roy's Melee d-smash. On one note, it is short :/

U-smash = I love this move so so much! I don't try to spike with it or whatever, i use it when people are above me cuz i'm boring like that xD

On the old moves, this is stuff i've known so if anybody could tell me better ways to use them, that'd be great, but for the new moves, these are just things i've gathered.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Roy's Ftilt is actually a phenomenal move imo. Its range and speed are fantastic, allowing relatively safe pokes at the opponent and quick follow-ups where Fsmash may not come out in time. Its real gem it the way it can be angled, though. Angled downward, it can prevent some characters from sweetspotting the ledge. Angled upward, it can be used to combo off of Fthrow, among other things.

Fthrow, Bthrow, and Dthrow can be used for nasty techchases against fastfallers because of Roy's great dash, and Fsmash and Dtilt can be used to kill early and combo, respectively.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
For the down air meteor, I do find it easier to land it by being below them and then double jumping up into the opponent with it. Ken combos are possible, but the timing/spacing is pretty difficult, and since its a meteor and not a spike, its not as potent as Marth's tried and true version.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I've found that Fair to Uair can work to keep combos going where another Fair wouldn't connect. Mostly I keep my combo's short and hard hitting until I can really get something going. My best moments so far have just been chains involving liberal application of Fair, Uair, Dash Attack, and Neutral B. He seems to combo, carry, and kill pretty well.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
I don't think Nairing offstage would be the best idea with Roy's falling speed. And yes, the Usmash spike is still very much a thing. I actually popped a grounded opponent up with a sweetspot Dair, combo'd into Usmash, and got the spike. Soooo much fire.

if you nair after a fair after jumping upwards offstage then its safe and works well to kill the opponent. you can recover easily from it. im not talking about using it, like, from a hop after hanging from the ledge. use it to finish a combo where you just worked your opponent offstage. did it a few times last night and worked out fine. neutral b can replace this as well.

ftilt works great with WDs and ledge pokes if angled down. i think its honestly the most ranged ftilt second only to DDDs.

uair works great OOS since the start of the hit is so low, unlike marths. it autocancels too if you do it fast enough

havent done it enough to know if its reliable, but a lot of the hits in DED pop the oponent up in place, lending to a possibly good set up to dsmash (which works great with a CC in addition).

anyone pulled off any combos using back airs tip?

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
Roy on 3.0 is simply amazing in everyway. There are a quite a large amount of things that can be done, combo wise and killing wise, with his moveset.

Fthrow>Ftilt is great when they pop up enough from the grab. Some characters dont pop up enough off the ground to do it so it is not as effective then. But overall its a nice little two hit thing to distance your opponent and sometimes kill them, depending on their percents.

All these Fair combos:

Fair>Dtilt>Uair (sweetspot or even weak hits)>Bair is a nice combo to use as well. You rack up a bit of damage from it before the Bair so it could possibly lead to a read and a kill.

Fair>Dtilt>Fair>Fthrow or Uthrow is pretty reliable aside from the Dtilt almost being late to come out sometimes

Fair>Dtilt>Nair is just great period

Fair>Ftilt just knocks your opponent away so quick and just feels very good when it is pull off.

Fair>Dtlit>Dair you all have seen this plenty of times

Raising Fair>Fair works depending on the situation

Fair>dtilt>fair>Dsmash

Nairing time:

Nair>Grab (any direction even thought still recommend fthrow into Ftilt after it) anyone can get this off consistently. It is easy and effective for pressure.

Late Nair (first hit connects only)>Utilt>Utilt>Bair or Dair or Fair or Uair....alot of combinations due to how reliable late nair is.

Nair>Nair Hits more at mid to high percents

Not gonna go into a whole slue of a list.....ROY IS EPIC

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I got a few more Ken combos against my Samus friend today though sadly I wasn't recording then. I'm still not convinced that it's a true combo (there might have been enough time for Samus to Up B out of it), but it's definitely worth exploring.

Also, it's possible to combo sourspot SHFFL Dairs into each other.

Player -0

Smash Hero
For Dair meteor smashes I've had a bit of fun with doing a Falco-like dash off stage then DJ back and Dair, this is probably unsafe though.

Also, Up Tilt hits ALL the way behind Roy so you can use it to surprise people behind you

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
I believe Utilt is probably one of his best moves. The fact that the arc of the swing starts behind him makes it amazing and gives him more options to cover behind him rather than just Bair.

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
You can release the ledge (back), do one SideB for a safe poke, and it autocancels to grab the ledge. Can only be done once before setting feet on the ground.

Lethalx

Smash Cadet
Here's a tip if anyone didn't know b/c i just found out, you can control what game ending taunt you want your char to do.For example My favorite ending taunt when Roy wins is, when he leans and puts his sword in the air and starts speaking Japanese, to do that all you gotta do is hold B Before it says GAME!

To do the one where he sticks his sword in the ground hold Y and for the other taunt Hold X. It's pretty cool being able to control your char taunt and it would sux if Everyone knew this already lol

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
all of roys tilts are simply amazing. you have such a power combo of safe poking range, combo-ability, and general coverage. really, his entire move set has so much use. literally the only things holding this character back is his recovery, which is not complimented by the fact that he is really combo-able.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
So I was practicing some CGs on spacies earlier and it looks like it only works until ~40ish%, at which point you need to use combos/tech chases. I don't know if his up throw has more KB/growth from melee, but his CG doesn't seem quite as strong as Marth's. On FD or similar stages, it still seems to only take 1-3 grabs to finish a stock, so it's not exactly bad, but yeah. The only thing I have to experiment with more when it comes to chaingrabbing is up air.

What do you guys think about up throw? Is the kill power vs chaingrab trade off worthwhile?

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
Maybe more of a tip than a trick but I just OHKO'd Jigglypuff from the bottom platform of Lylat with a gounded reverse Up-B. She died at 9% off the top.

I'll test on more characters.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
Maybe more of a tip than a trick but I just OHKO'd Jigglypuff from the bottom platform of Lylat with a gounded reverse Up-B. She died at 9% off the top.

I'll test on more characters.
Additional notes:
Grounded reverse up-b seems to have set knock-back dependent on the target's weight.
It will kill a Jiggs at 0% but won't kill a Game & Watch at 999%.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
eh i feel like up throw still isnt powerful enough to be a reliable kill throw. only on platforms or like, corneria. haha i keep trying to find a use for roys up b as well but i feel that all I ever get out of it is a bit of damage. roys only reliable way to kill of the top is his up smash and that occasional up throw. neither of which are bread and butters. seem like his best ways to kill are set ups into fsmashes and bairs. honestly dair is very powerful, but ive had a lot of trouble connecting with it offstage for meteor kills. theres no reliable way to combo into it like marths, from what i can tell so far, and the sweetspot is too small for you to use it like youre CF or ganon. im still trying to figure it though

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
You can ken combo with it, also you can ledge hop to make it invincible which is pretty cool. It really isn't that good offstage overall, however.

And for up throw, yeah it's not the optimal way to kill but Roy can still easily end up in situations where it's hard to get that kill, so it's worth knowing when you can use it if you need to.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Dtilt into Dair meteor works. Fair does too, but not nearly as often. Honestly though, If you're in a situation where you can pull off the sweetspot Dair, Bair is going to be a better kill option. Dair can still be used to put people back on the ground and force a techchase though.

Of course, none of this stops me for going for the meteor uneccessarily during friendlies :)

A Revelation

Smash Cadet
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVx5XVbrASA

Behold, the most useless technique of all.

I don't think this is useless.

If you fall under a stage (Dreamland, BF, Metal Cavern, etc.) You can Up B and still have a chance to grab ledge.
Cool find!

Anyways I just had a sitdown with D1 and we cracked out on P:M. Roy is a good character but suffers from poor defensive options out of shield like all the other FE characters.
It really hurts him in match ups where the pressure can get heavy.

WD OOS can only get you so far lol. Other than that though he's pretty solid. Feels weird sometimes but I'm used to most of his changes.

I think bair could use a bit more range or something cause I bairly hit with it.

Nair is so good spaced. It's a 50/50 with grab if you're tech chasing and it lingers so long you can punish spotdodges with it. Safe from Crouch cancels if spaced.
It does everything, which is what this boy really needed.

Top Bottom