• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Roy's so OP opponents SD at the mere thought of having to play against him.

Here's the plan. If people ask how good is Roy and what tier, we should say that he's really bad, bottom 3. Hoping the Japanese follow suit and still place him low. We want to keep the Roy buff train rolling, right? :upsidedown:

Edit: Daaamn, full artwork of Roy from the fe tcg has already been finished.

:love::love::love:

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Roy's so OP opponents SD at the mere thought of having to play against him.
Why Croph, it's been a long time. How have you been?

Here's the plan. If people ask how good is Roy and what tier, we should say that he's really bad, bottom 3. Hoping the Japanese follow suit and still place him low.
I highly doubt the people would believe that. I've fought a lot of Roy players online over the summer, and they keep kicking my ***.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Heard Roy got buffs. I knew that he felt different somehow. He feels even better now!

People still aren't convinced that he's good though since his recovery is still mediocre, he's still combo meat, and lacks autocancels; something that pretty much every FE character has.

Hopefully, if people still underrate him, we could get him to have autocancels in the next buff, since that is his major problem as of now. I doubt we'll be getting anymore patches though, unless if the patch is for fixing a glitch or something. If this is the last patch, then it's pretty much up to us to make Roy good. We pretty much have to develop his meta as much as we can at this point. :p

It's gonna be hard though, because more people are interested in developing Corrin and Bayonetta's meta than any other character atm. Probably because they have more unique movesets and a seemingly large amount of tools to work with. That and they're the recent DLC characters. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up like Cloud, where they end up get really good results despite only being a month old, rising them up the tier list and convincing others that they're worth picking up.

The thing that I think heavily affected Roy's meta was that he was banned from EVO last year, so no one got to use him at any big tournaments. (Please correct me on this if I'm wrong) Then there's the fact that Ryu is not only a legendary character, but he is a newcomer with a large amount of tools and a unique moveset. Why develop the meta for a slightly improved Marth clone when you can develop the meta of a completely unique and new character? Roy could have been more developed, but I think the hype he had must have turned people away from him. For goodness sake, people still call him overhyped despite him being in C sometimes D tier.

Anyway, I'm going to see if I can develop him further. I really like Corrin and Cloud, so I'll use them from time to time, but I think those characters don't really need any further inspection from me, since everyone else is doing all the work for them. Besides, I've used Cloud at tournaments, and despite this, people still know me as the Roy girl. A lot of people at my locals think I'm a decent Roy player, so maybe I should start putting him to work so that he can get more results. c:

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Eh, even after playing Bayo and Corrin for a longer time, I still gotta say, that Roy is simply the character that's almost build for me.

Too much fun. How's it going, mah boys?

I doubt we'll be getting anymore patches though, unless if the patch is for fixing a glitch or something. If this is the last patch, then it's pretty much up to us to make Roy good. We pretty much have to develop his meta as much as we can at this point. :p
There is one last patch planned tho.
The patch for "new old stages", which will propably only be done, because they need to fine-tune corrin and Bayo, after seeing them in a few tourneys.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Eh, even after playing Bayo and Corrin for a longer time, I still gotta say, that Roy is simply the character that's almost build for me.

Too much fun. How's it going, mah boys?

The patch for "new old stages", which will propably only be done, because they need to fine-tune corrin and Bayo, after seeing them in a few tourneys.
Yeah. I still find Roy fun even though there are other swordfighter characters that have much better options. Out of those swordfighters though, the only one I'm interested in is Cloud, and then Corrin if he ends up being the second or maybe the best FE character.

There's a last patch planned? Where did you hear this? If you're right about there being a last balance patch, then let's continue to beg for Roy buffs so that Roy can finally get the tools he needs to become a potential high tier character. :3

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
BUFFS! I'm hyped right now, this is awesome. Maybe I can start using the F-throw -> D-air combo more with the frame buffs.
Hopefully, if people still underrate him, we could get him to have autocancels in the next buff, since that is his major problem as of now. I doubt we'll be getting anymore patches though, unless if the patch is for fixing a glitch or something. If this is the last patch, then it's pretty much up to us to make Roy good. We pretty much have to develop his meta as much as we can at this at this point. :)
Hah yeah, this may sound a little cheesy but this patch was the confidence booster I needed. I have been playing Melee a lot, but I think I want to focus on Sm4sh while the meta is young and impressionable. its also much easier for me

Let's do this, guys.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Yeah. I still find Roy fun even though there are other swordfighter characters that have much better options. Out of those swordfighters though, the only one I'm interested in is Cloud, and then Corrin if he ends up being the second or maybe the best FE character.

There's a last patch planned? Where did you hear this? If you're right about there being a last balance patch, then let's continue to beg for Roy buffs so that Roy can finally get the tools he needs to become a potential high tier character. :3
Just common sense. They did promised us a stage way back then if I remember correctly, and even if not. Bayo&corrin need their balance patches, as well as cloud does. And that will only do with time.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I don't remember them saying anything about more stages. Especially since I thought this was the last DLC patch?

:135:

Terror Slade

Smash Rookie
Heard Roy got buffs. I knew that he felt different somehow. He feels even better now!

People still aren't convinced that he's good though since his recovery is still mediocre, he's still combo meat, and lacks autocancels; something that pretty much every FE character has.

Hopefully, if people still underrate him, we could get him to have autocancels in the next buff, since that is his major problem as of now. I doubt we'll be getting anymore patches though, unless if the patch is for fixing a glitch or something. If this is the last patch, then it's pretty much up to us to make Roy good. We pretty much have to develop his meta as much as we can at this point. :p

It's gonna be hard though, because more people are interested in developing Corrin and Bayonetta's meta than any other character atm. Probably because they have more unique movesets and a seemingly large amount of tools to work with. That and they're the recent DLC characters. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up like Cloud, where they end up get really good results despite only being a month old, rising them up the tier list and convincing others that they're worth picking up.

The thing that I think heavily affected Roy's meta was that he was banned from EVO last year, so no one got to use him at any big tournaments. (Please correct me on this if I'm wrong) Then there's the fact that Ryu is not only a legendary character, but he is a newcomer with a large amount of tools and a unique moveset. Why develop the meta for a slightly improved Marth clone when you can develop the meta of a completely unique and new character? Roy could have been more developed, but I think the hype he had must have turned people away from him. For goodness sake, people still call him overhyped despite him being in C sometimes D tier.

Anyway, I'm going to see if I can develop him further. I really like Corrin and Cloud, so I'll use them from time to time, but I think those characters don't really need any further inspection from me, since everyone else is doing all the work for them. Besides, I've used Cloud at tournaments, and despite this, people still know me as the Roy girl. A lot of people at my locals think I'm a decent Roy player, so maybe I should start putting him to work so that he can get more results. c:
I think we'll get one more patch because they'll probably balance out Corrin, Bayonetta, and Cloud. I'd like to see people underrate Roy because it's that much more satisfying to set them on Ph1R3.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I think we'll get one more patch because they'll probably balance out Corrin, Bayonetta, and Cloud. I'd like to see people underrate Roy because it's that much more satisfying to set them on Ph1R3.
It definitely won't be the last patch to the game. I can see some more adjustments to other characters and probably balance out out Corrin and Bayonetta, but Cloud as far as it goes is already pretty well balanced If anything I can see them buffing his side B to connect better that's about it...

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I don't remember them saying anything about more stages. Especially since I thought this was the last DLC patch?

As said, I could simply missremember it, but he did said once, there are more stages to follow the current old ones (after zelda/mario n64 stages released.)

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
As said, I could simply missremember it, but he did said once, there are more stages to follow the current old ones (after zelda/mario n64 stages released.)
Might they have been talking about Pirate Ship? Or was it after Pirate Ship was added?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'm pretty sure he said that when Roy, Lucas and Ryu where released.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I want Yoshi's (Brawl) back because it would be the perfect 5th starter stage in tourney

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I'm really happy about the buffs as well. Roy has really low landing lag on his aerials now. For reference, Sheik's Nair landing lag is 10 frames compared to Roy's 11 frames, and Fair now only has 3 more frames of landing lag compared to Sheik's. Bair had 3 frames of landing lag shaved off of it, so it's safer to throw out (it's 1 frame less safe on wiff than Fair was pre-patch). You can see my full explanation on the benefits in the patch thread. Roy pretty much does the same things as before, only better. All he needs now is for Fair to autocancel from a short hop, Bair to autocancel from a full hop and a Dthrow buff (like the ones Link and some others got) along with a few more minor frame buffs, and we'll be national material. Right now he's looking like a very solid mid tier, around Link's level. Link is actually pretty good (some Link mains say he is better than Toon Link, who placed well at Genesis 3) so that's a good thing.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I'm really happy about the buffs as well. Roy has really low landing lag on his aerials now. For reference, Sheik's Nair landing lag is 10 frames compared to Roy's 11 frames, and Fair now only has 3 more frames of landing lag compared to Sheik's.
I mentioned this on the Marth general thread, but I'll mention it here too. Comparing Roy's aerial landing lag to Sheik's isn't accurate. Sheik's aerials autocancel out of short hop, for example, and Sheik's fair in particular auto-cancels after frame 11, a mere 4 frames after the hitbox goes away. When Sheik uses her aerials out of short hop, most of the time she's landing laglessly thanks to her autocancels. When Roy uses his aerials out of short hop, he always lands with landing lag, unless he double jumps out of buffered fair.

Bair had 3 frames of landing lag shaved off of it, so it's safer to throw out (it's 1 frame less safe on wiff than Fair was pre-patch). You can see my full explanation on the benefits in the patch thread. Roy pretty much does the same things as before, only better. All he needs now is for Fair to autocancel from a short hop, Bair to autocancel from a full hop and a Dthrow buff (like the ones Link and some others got) along with a few more minor frame buffs, and we'll be national material. Right now he's looking like a very solid mid tier, around Link's level. Link is actually pretty good (some Link mains say he is better than Toon Link, who placed well at Genesis 3) so that's a good thing.
I assume you mean dair? Bair always autocancelled out of full hop lol. Dair lost 5 frames landing lag, though it's still a pretty punishable move.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I mentioned this on the Marth general thread, but I'll mention it here too. Comparing Roy's aerial landing lag to Sheik's isn't accurate. Sheik's aerials autocancel out of short hop, for example, and Sheik's fair in particular auto-cancels after frame 11, a mere 4 frames after the hitbox goes away. When Sheik uses her aerials out of short hop, most of the time she's landing laglessly thanks to her autocancels. When Roy uses his aerials out of short hop, he always lands with landing lag, unless he double jumps out of buffered fair.

I assume you mean dair? Bair always autocancelled out of full hop lol. Dair lost 5 frames landing lag, though it's still a pretty punishable move.
You're right about Bair auto canceling from full hop. I've forgotten after all this time not playing lol, should've thought a little more about it. Dair autocanceling from a FH would be sweet though I guess, but like you said, it wouldn't matter much. And I was comparing the landing lag of the two characters. Nothing more, nothing less. I just thought it was something to bring up since Sheik has some of the best frame data in the game. I know close to everything about the character, no need to try and educate. Hell, quiz me.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
You're right about Bair auto canceling from full hop. I've forgotten after all this time not playing lol, should've thought a little more about it. Dair autocanceling from a FH would be sweet though I guess, but like you said, it wouldn't matter much. And I was comparing the landing lag of the two characters. Nothing more, nothing less. I just thought it was something to bring up since Sheik has some of the best frame data in the game. I know close to everything about the character, no need to try and educate. Hell, quiz me.
I understand that you know quite a bit about it, I just wanted to point out that the comparison was a bit misleading for Roy lol. Roy just doesn't have the freedom to aerial that Sheik has lol, and comparing landing lag doesn't really convey the full picture on that. Auto-cancel windows play a huge role as well. Either way, I digress on that, their landing lag is definitely comparable.

If dair could auto-cancel out of a full hop, that'd be huge for Roy. Like, it'd make that move useful in a way similar to Cloud's is, so it really would matter. Same as if bair auto-cancelled out of short hop. Though, I think these might be designed weaknesses, so I'm not holding my breath on these auto-cancel windows ever being given to Roy.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
If dair could auto-cancel out of a full hop, that'd be huge for Roy. Like, it'd make that move useful in a way similar to Cloud's is, so it really would matter. Same as if bair auto-cancelled out of short hop. Though, I think these might be designed weaknesses, so I'm not holding my breath on these auto-cancel windows ever being given to Roy.
Wouldn't it be more like Ike's Dair because of their much, much lower active frames compared to Cloud's basically, "balanced Melee/Brawl Falco Dair"?

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Wouldn't it be more like Ike's Dair because of their much, much lower active frames compared to Cloud's basically, "balanced Melee/Brawl Falco Dair"?
^ point. Forgot about that. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I understand that you know quite a bit about it, I just wanted to point out that the comparison was a bit misleading for Roy lol. Roy just doesn't have the freedom to aerial that Sheik has lol, and comparing landing lag doesn't really convey the full picture on that. Auto-cancel windows play a huge role as well. Either way, I digress on that, their landing lag is definitely comparable.

Roy actually does have autocancel windows for Fair and Bair, but only for when you FH onto a platform or double jump back onstage in a certain way. I don't know exactly how this works, but yeah.

Last edited:

TheFlow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flowmed
Roy actually does have autocancel windows for Fair and Bair, but only for when you FH onto a platform or double jump back onstage in a certain way. I don't know exactly how this works, but yeah.
That's simple. Roy's autocancels timings are past his short hop air time... Which means he can't stay in the air long enough to auto cancel stuff.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
That's simple. Roy's autocancels timings are past his short hop air time... Which means he can't stay in the air long enough to auto cancel stuff.
If bair had 1 frame less endlag, iirc, it would autocancel out of short hop. ;_;

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
For fair at least (maybe bair too) you can SH fair into Double Edge Dance to cancel landing lag, which can kinda combo at low percents. You could probably do it into blazer and maybe doublejump too but I'm just saying it's an option.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Good to see am no the only one who thinks Roy should get a bit more of a speed buff. Seriously, imo, he feels like he should play like sword version of Sheik or C.Falcon.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Hi guys! Just came back from my second tourney yesterday! It was a pretty big tournament; around 4 or 5 of my state's top players were there, and they all were pretty nice. I managed to 2-0 someone in my losers match. I got 0-2 my next losers match, but I came pretty close to beating him both times, with the second time being my closest to beating him. He was using Wario; kinda hard to fight, but I think I can manage with enough practice.

Had friends critique my tourney matches, and they thought I was pretty good. Most of my critiques were that I am sometimes on autopilot, and that I roll instead of teching. I hardly roll otherwise, and they say that I have pretty good fundamentals.

I even had one of the best players in the state critique me; he's no Roy main, but he knows Roy quite well. Basically all of my problems come from a lack of execution and a lack of thinking things through my matches.

However, there was one suggestion I got that kinda hit me: Someone told me that while I was a good Roy and a decent player in general, I should probably drop him if I can't get anywhere with him and instead use someone like Cloud. Now, I don't mind Cloud; I love playing as him, and I will probably main him. However, I want to get Roy results, because as far as I know, he doesn't have any. Even some of the worst characters in the game have results. Even Lucas and Mewtwo have more results. It's just kinda hard to hear. I specifically want to main Roy to get him more results. Cloud and Corrin already have people working on their meta. Can't say the same for Roy though.

I just don't know what to do. I want to be a good player period. I have no problem choosing top or high tiers, it's just that I want to be different and try developing the meta for a underused character at the moment. What do you guys think? Is Roy definitely worth developing, especially after his buffs?

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Hi guys! Just came back from my second tourney yesterday! It was a pretty big tournament; around 4 or 5 of my state's top players were there, and they all were pretty nice. I managed to 2-0 someone in my losers match. I got 0-2 my next losers match, but I came pretty close to beating him both times, with the second time being my closest to beating him. He was using Wario; kinda hard to fight, but I think I can manage with enough practice.

Had friends critique my tourney matches, and they thought I was pretty good. Most of my critiques were that I am sometimes on autopilot, and that I roll instead of teching. I hardly roll otherwise, and they say that I have pretty good fundamentals.

I even had one of the best players in the state critique me; he's no Roy main, but he knows Roy quite well. Basically all of my problems come from a lack of execution and a lack of thinking things through my matches.

However, there was one suggestion I got that kinda hit me: Someone told me that while I was a good Roy and a decent player in general, I should probably drop him if I can't get anywhere with him and instead use someone like Cloud. Now, I don't mind Cloud; I love playing as him, and I will probably main him. However, I want to get Roy results, because as far as I know, he doesn't have any. Even some of the worst characters in the game have results. Even Lucas and Mewtwo have more results. It's just kinda hard to hear. I specifically want to main Roy to get him more results. Cloud and Corrin already have people working on their meta. Can't say the same for Roy though.

I just don't know what to do. I want to be a good player period. I have no problem choosing top or high tiers, it's just that I want to be different and try developing the meta for a underused character at the moment. What do you guys think? Is Roy definitely worth developing, especially after his buffs?
Even without the buffs.
What's stopping you? You gotta find a character that "clicks" with you, that will suit your playstyle, and not a character that will be a pain to learn. I mean, even after double nerf, Zero finished with the character that suited him most, Diddy Kong.

Also, never forget. "A skilled roy can beat every fox."

Serew

Smash Apprentice

I have recently been placing quite well in tournaments. Roy is definitely worth developing. just keep in mind he's not like a top 10 character, but he's not bad like some people claim he is. Also to talk to other Roy mains more regularly consider joining our discord, it's nice in there and great for hearing others opinions. Outside of the Roy community alot of people are very negative about Roy, most of the time overly negative too. if you'd like to join Here's the link: https://discord.gg/0am7ORpgdo31BD1D. i really recommend it if you really like Roy :p Roy is still far from fully mastered, keep this in mind :D

Last edited:
Long time no see.

There's something I've been curious on, something that's eating away at me....

Honestly, the most annoying thing to hear over and over is anything about Roy's lack of placing when discussion about him comes up, and I'd like to change that because it feels like it limits real discussion and development of the character. If it keeps going on, his meta's probably going to hit a point where he'll never be able to develop. Sound familiar? :roymelee:

Do you guys have any tips to prepare for upcoming tournaments optimally? Say, something happening in March or so.
Mainly stuff to maximize placings over time.
Do you guys also have any tips for boosts on tournament day and calming tournament nerves mid-set?

I feel there's so much about Roy that can be optimized that isn't even close to that point, and I need to really improve myself to start bringing out more underutilized stuff I see in my mind as potent.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I want Yoshi's (Brawl) back because it would be the perfect 5th starter stage in tourney
That, and I miss the Ghost tho not as much as Randall :c

Why Croph, it's been a long time. How have you been?
Oh wow... I almost forgot what your original name was lol. Sup?

How are we supposed to encourage diversity and develop a character's meta when we tell others, "Don't play X. Play Y because that character is 100x better"? I ask myself that question whenever I see people tell others to drop their main and play a higher tier character.

It seems like you have interest in developing Roy's meta and getting results, so I say go for it. Will you get to a point where you feel like you can't get anywhere with Roy? Maybe. Maybe not. You'll never know unless you invest a good amount of of time and energy into Roy. So yeah, especially with these buffs, Roy's worth developing. You can always co-main Cloud if you really want to play him as well.

And honestly, my local takes pride when uncommon characters make the power rankings. People love to compliment on the character diversity. So, I think there might be some people in your scene that would love to see your Roy take names, make upsets, and shoot straight up to the PR lol.

Long time no see.
Ayyy, what's up?

Do you guys also have any tips for boosts on tournament day and calming tournament nerves mid-set?
I wish I knew the answer to this. :( I still get way too nervous in a competitive environment; I seem to play better during friendlies and whatnot. I would think the more you go to tourneys, the less nervous you'll eventually get. For some it might take longer. As for calming nerves in the moment, you can try collecting yourself and breathing techniques, especially when you just lost a stock. Try experimenting with music as well. Certain songs might help you relax and concentrate more. I really wish I knew how to stop heart palpitations, though. It's probably the worst offender for me.

To prepare for upcoming tourneys... hm. I'd say get as much practice and match-up experience as you can. I got to weeklies and usually a smashfest every week. So check if your local has any other Smash events you can attend. Playing more causally can help you experiment and try new things, offline or online.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
calming tournament nerves mid-set?
Honestly, always when I was nervous in tourneys, be it pokemon, smash or cardgames...
Never forget it's just a game. I solved my fear of off-stage play, by simply doing it, and not being afraid of it. It's just a game, and games should be fun. Gain confidence in trying it out, and shrug losses off you, by saying it's just a game, and you got fun and experience out of it.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Even without the buffs.
What's stopping you? You gotta find a character that "clicks" with you, that will suit your playstyle, and not a character that will be a pain to learn. I mean, even after double nerf, Zero finished with the character that suited him most, Diddy Kong.

Also, never forget. "A skilled roy can beat every fox."
Honestly, nothing is stopping me. It's not like I'm a top player who HAS to use a top tier character. I'm just a little bummed that I probably have to learn Roy all by myself since there are hardly any tournament vids of him. Oh well. Just something I have to live with. I should be excited.

Isn't "A skilled Roy can beat any Fox" a joke though? I normally see it used mockingly on people who like to pretend that tiers don't exist. It's the character version of "tiers don exits" joke. Pretty much everyone in Competitive Melee, even the Roy mains all accept the fact that Roy isn't very good in that game, and couldn't beat a decent Fox even if they were the best Roy, correct me if I'm wrong. =P
Long time no see.

There's something I've been curious on, something that's eating away at me....

Honestly, the most annoying thing to hear over and over is anything about Roy's lack of placing when discussion about him comes up, and I'd like to change that because it feels like it limits real discussion and development of the character. If it keeps going on, his meta's probably going to hit a point where he'll never be able to develop. Sound familiar? :roymelee:

Do you guys have any tips to prepare for upcoming tournaments optimally? Say, something happening in March or so.

I feel there's so much about Roy that can be optimized that isn't even close to that point, and I need to really improve myself to start bringing out more underutilized stuff I see in my mind as potent.
What's up brooo~? Long time no see!

Yeah the "Roy doesn't have results" thing has been bugging me too, especially since even Mewtwo and Lucas have been getting more attention lately. The whole "results" thing is kinda annoying; I can see why people need results in order to consider a certain character to be good, but we have a roster of 58 characters. There are characters that are bound to be used more than others. Characters that have more options or have unique movesets are more likely to be developed than clones or even semi-clones. Unfair, but that's how it is I guess. Can't get everyone to main every character, even though that would be nice.

I think part of the reason why Roy is undeveloped is because of psychological reasons. People are used to Roy being the butt of the joke, or being mediocre. People by nature are attracted to successful characters, and Roy is a little too humble of a character for that. To imagine Roy being good is kind of a hard thing to imagine for some people. I actually think that out of all the FE characters in SSB4, he's the most unpopular. Marth is still popular because he's Marth, Ike is popular not only because he's Ike, but because he's actually considered viable by many people at this point; Robin is popular because of Awakening and because he's not a "generic sword user", and Lucina is popular because of Awakening.

Corrin is a bit of a mixed bag, but even he's gotten more of a positive reception than Roy due to his unique moveset. I mean, despite him being a sixth FE character, people are already trying to develop his meta.

This post sounds a bit depressing; sorry. I could be completely wrong in all of this, but that's how it seems to be at the moment. Like I said, at this point it's our job to develop Roy's meta; we can try convincing other people to give him a chance until the cows come home, but ultimately you can't change people's way of thinking. *shrug*

By the way, is it true that Roy's meta in Melee never developed because people kept refusing his potential? I mean, I know one or two Melee Roy mains who admit he's pretty bad in Melee. I honestly think he never developed in Melee because he just wasn't good. For example, he had a lot of hit box problems if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately, I can't really help you on the whole tournament nerves thing. I've noticed that when I went to my second tournament the other day, my nerves died down after my second losers battle; I lost to the guy, but I did pretty well; just did a couple of mistakes and he adapted faster than I adapted to him. What I did to calm my nerves was bring some friends around to give me tips, or maybe cheer me on. That helped quite a bit I think. Just keep going to tournaments and you'll get used to it. You'll never NOT be nervous, but you'll be less and less nervous the more times you win.

Top Bottom