• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
I played Lucina super aggressively, and it didn't always work out. Now I'm playing Roy super aggressively, and it's more fun than most other FE characters. I need to put my skills to the test.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
My thoughs exactly. And you can't get him? I may have a leftover code tomorrow, if you need one~
What system?

And before you do that.

It's due to not having any balance at all in my eshop account, in fact i never added any since i got the wii u

Plus it won't be too long before i go get a 50$ eshop card

Its for aproximately 8 characters and 6 stages

(Only getting dlc stages for the wii u version)

(And this is ryu assumed the only 6.99 one and im one of the succusful get mewtwo by club nintendo smashers.)

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Unlike most characters Sheik can act right out of our Dthrow and Fthrow before we can make practically any followup.

Slightly annoying.

Roy is at least mid-high tier I would think.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Unlike most characters Sheik can act right out of our Dthrow and Fthrow before we can make practically any followup.

Slightly annoying.

Roy is at least mid-high tier I would think.
I agree, we all know Roy's got some really good strengths, but I think what will ultimately determine his placement will be how exploitable how weaknesses are.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
by "act out of", what do you mean? if it's a 50/50 on whether she can attack/jump, but we can shield the attack... I'll take that. It'll take away our BnB combos, but that's not terrible.

Honestly I feel like Roy shouldn't be that bad against Sheik. He can kind of keep up with her, poke at her with better range, and kills her crazy early. I'm not willing to write this one off just yet.

Eureka

Smash Ace
by "act out of", what do you mean? if it's a 50/50 on whether she can attack/jump, but we can shield the attack... I'll take that. It'll take away our BnB combos, but that's not terrible.

Honestly I feel like Roy shouldn't be that bad against Sheik. He can kind of keep up with her, poke at her with better range, and kills her crazy early. I'm not willing to write this one off just yet.
It's definitely not as bad as a lot of characters have it against Sheik, but Shiek might be able to simply run a train on Roy since he doesn't have many safe options. Also if Roy is forced to rely on his sourspots to win a match up, that's a bad thing. I do think the biggest equalizer is the potential for an early kill, how likely getting that kill is has yet to be seen.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
Roy is soooo much fun to play as, he's very similar to Project M Roy in my opinion!

My Roy skills from Melee and PM have carried over, I've been disrespecting people in tons of For Glory Roy dittos. It's hilarious how many bad Roys there are. I've hardly even seen any Ryus or Lucases, Sm4sh has truly been taken over by our boy :4feroy:

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
It's definitely not as bad as a lot of characters have it against Sheik, but Shiek might be able to simply run a train on Roy since he doesn't have many safe options. Also if Roy is forced to rely on his sourspots to win a match up, that's a bad thing. I do think the biggest equalizer is the potential for an early kill, how likely getting that kill is has yet to be seen.
idk about several of these comments.

Roy seems to have a pretty darn safe moveset if you watch spacing. Nair/fair have little end lag, Fastfalling means you're very mobile, dtilt is a great poke at any range, Jab/ftilt are quick and strong. I'm not sure Roy can just get railroaded... and I'm not even including the potential combo breakers of Counter and Blazer.

His sour spots (particularly his fair and dtilt) push the opponent back and can force a tech situation, which is a kill chance when fsmash is going to take care of her at like 80. Poking with sourspots is a fine strategy honestly.

I feel like he's going to have some trouble against safe projectiles... I was chasing around a campy DHD on FG last night and that's less than fun. But with this, I'm more talking about area-coverage projectiles than something like needles.
He might also have issues against chars that can outrange him...

Honestly, though, I can see him applying Sheik-like levels of pressure to opponents. his movement and pokes are too good for him to be kept down all that much.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Sheik has a tendency to be able to throw out Fairs and be safe from any situation.
Shiek privilege at it's finest.
idk about several of these comments.

Roy seems to have a pretty darn safe moveset if you watch spacing. Nair/fair have little end lag, Fastfalling means you're very mobile, dtilt is a great poke at any range, Jab/ftilt are quick and strong. I'm not sure Roy can just get railroaded... and I'm not even including the potential combo breakers of Counter and Blazer.

His sour spots (particularly his fair and dtilt) push the opponent back and can force a tech situation, which is a kill chance when fsmash is going to take care of her at like 80. Poking with sourspots is a fine strategy honestly.

I feel like he's going to have some trouble against safe projectiles... I was chasing around a campy DHD on FG last night and that's less than fun. But with this, I'm more talking about area-coverage projectiles than something like needles.
He might also have issues against chars that can outrange him...

Honestly, though, I can see him applying Sheik-like levels of pressure to opponents. his movement and pokes are too good for him to be kept down all that much.
Possibility, but Shiek seems to handily win the neutral with needles and faster attacks, and both blazer and counter are very risky. To me it looks like the Shiek player would have to mess up pretty badly to get into a favorable situation for Roy. Of course at this point is all conjecture, and there's probably a lot of factors we don't know yet so we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I played Lucina super aggressively, and it didn't always work out. Now I'm playing Roy super aggressively, and it's more fun than most other FE characters. I need to put my skills to the test.
These characters are not meant to be played aggressively (rush-down). They are punished very easily for those actions. They are reactionary and zoners. Looking for the right openings to attack opponents when they take the incorrect actions.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah Roy's not really an aggressive character, he's more like Ganon, when you wait an opponent to commit to an action and then destroy them.
Of course I've been playing him aggressively and it hasn't made a difference, as nobody knows how to fight Roy yet lol.

Candlejack

Smash Rookie
NNID
RestoringLife
I know it's only day 2.. But can I get some tips? I feel like a lot of Roys moves arent safe on shield. I seem to get punished easily simply by them shielding an attack and either grabbing or throwing out a faster tilt of their own. Maybe it's the online doing this? Or am I not using the right moves?

I was playing offline with friends and it wasn't happening so hard, so maybe I'm just being dumb.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's Roy's biggest flaw honestly, he gets punished from shielding super easy.
Down tilt maybe? I also use Double Edge Dance to see if they're accidentally drop their shield mid combo but that's very successful.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
That's Roy's biggest flaw honestly, he gets punished from shielding super easy.
Down tilt maybe? I also use Double Edge Dance to see if they're accidentally drop their shield mid combo but that's very successful.
Down Tilt is not as safe-ish as Lucina and Marth's. In fact, I get heavily punished by it in most situations. From my lab-work, Jab is a better option.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
fair and dtilt sour spot space outside of shield. Empty SH to reset spacing for dtilt, and mixup with empty SH grabs. He can beat shields.

Eureka

Smash Ace
These characters are not meant to be played aggressively (rush-down). They are punished very easily for those actions. They are reactionary and zoners. Looking for the right openings to attack opponents when they take the incorrect actions.
Whenever I hear the phrase "rushdown character" I envision a character that when given an advantage can press that advantage and force his opponent to make a good decision or get destroyed. Idk it's probably not everyone else's definition of the term but it's always what I think of and I believe Roy fits that description. Unless I'm completely wrong on this in which case help me before I drive myself into ruin.
fair and dtilt sour spot space outside of shield. Empty SH to reset spacing for dtilt, and mixup with empty SH grabs. He can beat shields.
Being able to beat shields and being safe on shields are not the same thing. While I agree Roy can beat shields, there will still be times where a move will be blocked and you'll get punished for it.

Last edited:

Candlejack

Smash Rookie
NNID
RestoringLife
Thanks everyone. I'll give those a go. Roy is insanely fun, and I might even end up maining him if the fun keeps up.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I don't see why Roy shouldn't be played aggressively with a fastfall akin to a brick. Can tomahawk shields or just land behind people with Uair if you're that concerned about shielding. There's not really a character in this game outside of like Sheik who can just give zero ****s about shields and go HAM 24/7 with a tiny bit of thought to spacing anyway. I've been liking wavebounced Side B as an approach mixup to bait a punish - if you mix that up with SHFF Nair/Uair, tomahawks and just straight dash grabs then you can put down a lot of pressure to keep your opponent guessing. The good news as well is that all of these options confirm into good damage or potentially stocks if you make a sick read. And, hell, if you don't want to play aggressively, Roy's oos options are really great. Up B is a good an anti-air as you'll ever need, Up Smash's hitbox is just bizarre and his grab range is good. Speaking of Up Smash, it's an awesome frame trap as the hitbox lasts longer than sidesteps and it also sweetspots on the Battlefield platforms from below. All of his Smashes are fast and semi-reliable, Up Smash being one of our best KO optioons.

As for Roy vs Sheik, it's definitely not even. No throw combos really to speak of and we can't really dream of beating Fair. Hard to say already how bad it is - it's not awful but he's definitely not some super epic new counterpick to Sheik. He also falls down hard against Luigi and Pikachu due to lack of combos/kill confirms I think which will really hurt him regarding tier placement as they all went untouched for... some reason.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Unfortunately I don't see Roy having any shield breaking options. Flare Blade at higher charges might break em but you'll never be charging Flare Blade anyway.

That said at low percents I believe Jab > Ftilt is a thing.

Also pulling some common deception tricks like holding down during Blazer allows us to rise up past the ledge instead of auto snap and of course the oldest trick in the book. Pivot Fsmash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I suppose we can't expect Roy to be able to be safe on shields or else he'd be too good, especially compared to Marth. Really I'd like to see Marth and Lucina get some buffs, but regardles of all that Roy is really fun, and manageable, and that's good enough for me. Sure, would like less land lag, but it's good enough.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Random question: now that our boy is in, do you plan to support another character?
Personally, I'm going with Shantae. Just think how much joy we felt when we got our favourite character again, I hope they'll feel like that too!

On topic: Oh. My. God. Roy is the PERFECT character for me. Its very fun to play, can be competitive but is not overpowered AND has an amazing desing.
I'm so happy... ç_ç

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
Random question: now that our boy is in, do you plan to support another character?
Personally, I'm going with Shantae. Just think how much joy we felt when we got our favourite character again, I hope they'll feel like that too!

On topic: Oh. My. God. Roy is the PERFECT character for me. Its very fun to play, can be competitive but is not overpowered AND has an amazing desing.
I'm so happy... ç_ç
I probably am not. Without Roy, Sm4sh felt empty, like it was missing something. Now that he's in, it feels complete. I am not against new characters or more returning vets, but I don't think I will support anyone else.
My boy is back, and that's all that matters to me. :4feroy:

Also, no offense to supporters of Shantae or K. Rool, but to me it seems like most support for those characters is a bandwagon. With our boy, it's no doubt that his support was out of pure love for the character.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Roy is soooo much fun to play as, he's very similar to Project M Roy in my opinion!

My Roy skills from Melee and PM have carried over, I've been disrespecting people in tons of For Glory Roy dittos. It's hilarious how many bad Roys there are. I've hardly even seen any Ryus or Lucases, Sm4sh has truly been taken over by our boy :4feroy:
I wish he had PM f-tilt. Man I love that thing

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
Roy is hawt and playing him has actually convinced me to play Sm4sh again. I love his design and the way he feels. Almost makes me forget the tears I've shed for Ike.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman

I'm so happy... ç_ç
I really want to see Serperior in Smash for that Gen V and Grass love, but I'll be keeping it at Phoenix Wright. I don't care if there are two Capcom characrers already either, we're getting the Ace Attourney in Smash.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
What system?

And before you do that.

It's due to not having any balance at all in my eshop account, in fact i never added any since i got the wii u

Plus it won't be too long before i go get a 50$ eshop card

Its for aproximately 8 characters and 6 stages

(Only getting dlc stages for the wii u version)

(And this is ryu assumed the only 6.99 one and im one of the succusful get mewtwo by club nintendo smashers.)
Ah, oh well.
And for the 3ds I'd probably have a left ofer, since a friend of me just has a wiiU.
I mean, I probably could ask for a wiiU code as well, since I know a few- ah you know what I mean.
More new characters is never bad. I still want Bayonetta/Inkling/BOXBOY though.

Also omg this Unravel game from E3 is goty
BOMBERMAN & Bayonetta 4 Smash!

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Bomberman's been my #1 request since Brawl but as far as I'm aware Konami have his rights now and they're kind of dead right now. Would LOVE him to be in the game though, make the Links look like proper casuals.

Troykv

Smash Master

I'm so happy... ç_ç
I'm already supporting another character xD (Roy's my boy too, but Micaiah needs more my little and probably useless help) alongside Roy before.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

I'm so happy... ç_ç
For me, the characters I'm now promoting include King K. Rool, Isaac (Golden Sun), Rayman, Krystal and even the Chorus Men, ah and the Inklings. As for why I support them -
•King K's potential to be a unique fighter and a well deserved newcomer for the Donkey Kong Country series.
•Isaac for his Psynergy potential and a desire to see him promoted like Little Mac
•Rayman as one of my Third-party choices, for the similar reason of moveset potential and I loved Rayman 3 as a kid.
•Krystal as one of the new Star Fox characters, just to continue the trend of a new Star Fox character each Smash - also for moveset potential in her staff or artillery from Assault.
•Hearing the new Rhythm Heaven songs have given me a boost in confidence for the Chorus Men - have they given themselves the time to resolve what kept them out of the initial game?
•And the Inklings. Staay fresh! Splatoon's success warrants its inclusion in the Smash Bros series - be it this game or the next.

Top Bottom