• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

You guys wanna talk about Roy? That means I get to ***** out something I've been working on recently

Enjoy the power of OUR BOY.

Constructive criticism about the video is welcome. I want to make better videos in the future similar to this. I'm looking for any criticism on editing or what kinds of clips I should include more or exclude and why, not necessarily "you should've countered there" or such.

I feel a bit unsatisfied with it, even though it seems 100% okay. So lay it on me, unless you can't think of anything.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Roy's our boy, that's plenty. xD
Don't worry, this'll never get old imo. Roy's our boy!

---

You guys wanna talk about Roy? That means I get to ***** out something I've been working on recently

Enjoy the power of OUR BOY.

Constructive criticism about the video is welcome. I want to make better videos in the future similar to this. I'm looking for any criticism on editing or what kinds of clips I should include more or exclude and why, not necessarily "you should've countered there" or such.

I feel a bit unsatisfied with it, even though it seems 100% okay. So lay it on me, unless you can't think of anything.
Very nice! Thank you for sharing. :) Stealing the last jump on the Pac-man's trampoline was particularly hilarious. You're also much braver than I am off-stage lol. I almost never go off-stage (unless high, or what looks to be an easy mark), and when I do, I oftentimes end up getting edge-guarded myself. >.>

One thing I might recommend would be more low % grab combos. Dthrow > utilt / jab > regrabs, especially on fast-fallers (Roy dittoes, Falcon, Fox, sometimes ZSS, Sheik). Here's a clip showing what I mean.

---

Also, going back to the conversation on Undertale, after trying the demo, I think I'm sold on that game. Not super fond of the bullet h*ll aspect, but I'm sure I can get used to it, and the concept is intriguing.

Don't worry, this'll never get old imo. Roy's our boy!

---

Very nice! Thank you for sharing. :) Stealing the last jump on the Pac-man's trampoline was particularly hilarious. You're also much braver than I am off-stage lol. I almost never go off-stage (unless high, or what looks to be an easy mark), and when I do, I oftentimes end up getting edge-guarded myself. >.>

One thing I might recommend would be more low % grab combos. Dthrow > utilt / jab > regrabs, especially on fast-fallers (Roy dittoes, Falcon, Fox, sometimes ZSS, Sheik). Here's a clip showing what I mean.

---

Also, going back to the conversation on Undertale, after trying the demo, I think I'm sold on that game. Not super fond of the bullet h*ll aspect, but I'm sure I can get used to it, and the concept is intriguing.
I do like jab -> regrab or nair to continue the combo, or end with DED a lot, but I do need to tighten that area up a lot.
I dislike utilt a lot as a move, but it has uses and I need to experiment with it more.
I usually get around 30 with a grab at low percents. I like grab, dthrow, jab, regrab, then DED with as many sweetspots as I can, and/or the final down variation, which is a lot more guaranteed than other regrabs I've played with.
A lot of Roy's grab combos at low and mid percents involve mixups and watching what your opponent does with guaranteed ways to punish no matter what they do as long as you read and/or react correctly, which I really adore about Roy and it teaches me about smash more.
Unfortunately, some aspects of my gameplay weren't friendly with the more exciting clips, like low percent combos and kill confirms, and I'm looking to feature those more next time.

I can help with going offstage.

Mixing up your recovery with airdodges, saving you second jump, fastfalling, and angling Blazer helps.
You can use multiple options at the same time while recovering. Fastfalling while airdodging, then airdodging while jumping, then doing a plain vertical Blazer is one way to mix it up.
Using Blazer before you even use your second jump and angling it is another mixup.
Using Blazer early just to hit a hungry foe going offstage is something I love to do.
You can save your second jump, go really low, then use vertical (non-angled) Blazer after jumping.
Keep mixing up your recovery, use different tools, and switch from going high to medium to low.
If someone grabs the edge at the same time as you, roll onstage to avoid the possibility of being forced off, then watch what they do and punish.

For edgeguarding, Roy has some really nice and practical options.

You can run offstage and fair or nair without jumping.

Offstage fair while fastfalling, then jumping and using Blazer to recover is excellent to beat certain safe recovery patterns and tethers.

Going high and far with fair or bair is also good.

Offstage counter is good against recoveries with hitboxes like Ness and Shulk's.

Use friendlies and For Glory or Smashladder simply to experiment and learn while going outside your comfort zone and trying new things, it's helped me a lot. Try risky aerial combos/strings or edgeguards, or temporarily try a character that can go really far offstage like Jigglypuff or Kirby to warm up to edgeguards.

As for Undertale, I'm really glad you enjoy the demo. The game only gets better from there.
Whether you want Imperfect Pacifist, Perfect Pacifist, Mixed (killing at least one thing), or Genocide, I can help with any of those.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Anyways, could we get back to actually talking about roy?
Aw man, I kinda liked the Computer Foundations 101 Social. :p

dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 Nice montage! I haven't done video editing in a long time (well, other than quick and easy Movie Maker stuff for projects), but I recently download Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects (got them for the whole school year), and I'll probably jump into them soon. What editor do you use? Some of my advice below can't be applied.

Anyway, since you asked for constructive criticism...hmm. I'll mostly note general tips, or certain things that I personally like seeing in montages that you could keep in mind for future vids if you like:

• Opening scenes can help grab a view's attention and hook them in, rather than just opening with gameplay footage. Could be humours, dramatic, or just footage with added effects (like gameplay sped up/slowed, zoomed, aesthetics, Smash announcer yelling whatever, "ROY'S OUR BOY!" chant, etc.). You could even try making your own thumbnail to have the video stand out more when people browse (especially of you add text and whatnot). First impressions, y'know. Special ending clips are cool too. Doesn't really have to be related to the overall theme. For example, having a clip of an epic fail moment on your end or Roy doing a crazy combo with items on For Fun. Whatever works for you. Keep in mind that if you do want to add a gameplay clip that doesn't related to the main theme, I would suggest adding it to the end so people don't get the wrong impression of what your vid is about
  • I think you already did a good job at this, but it is important to keep pacing in mind. In other words, don't start the video off with your best clips, because then you may not have enough strong ones to keep people interested. The first clip shouldn't be weak either, just something to grab people's attention which the first clip of your vid does (well all love off-stage counter kills)
  • Special effects are cool and all, but flow is more important imo. Heck, you could just have a video with an edited intro that's not too fancy, but if the body of the video flows and transitions nicely, then it looks great. Some videos try too hard with special effects and whatnot, which just makes the vid look messy and confusing to watch. Another thing is synchronizing clips to audio beats. I can't really explain it well, so you should probably watch this video to understand how to do it.
There are different ways to achieve this effect, other than placing a marker on the audio track and splitting a part of the video to start at the marker. You can speed gameplay up, slow it down to where the desirable beat/part of the song is, then speed the gameplay up to the next beat. Another example would be only having the music and sound effects play during a certain clip. Lets say there's a certain part of a song that's dramatic or has intense beats. You have a clip of Roy OHKOing an opponent with Flare Blade, so you could get rid of all gameplay audio (I think you could even do this in-game, like only have sound effects on. Just do this before and hope you record such KO), and have only the explosion sound + music beat plays = dramatic effect. Doesn't have to be Flare Blade -- a move that sounds cool or loud would work best I think. Or you could even add your own sound effect to the move while having no gameplay audio (like a real life explosion sound for when Flade Blade hits)​
  • The last clips of your montage is a bit awkward with the triple "GAME!" ending. Having the last clip show a match ending & Roy's victory would be enough. When I heard the first "GAME!" I kinda got the impression that the montage was over. Unless your intention is to have triple game endings (because 3 is a specific number...?). Some other clips might need to be trimmed as well. You can even have, say, 3 clips of Roy spiking various opponents put together
  • Your song of choice should've been something from Linkin Park... jk, jk. The song used is pretty cool. This mostly applies to non-royalty free music: if you want to use a non-royalty free song for a future montage, it's always good to find songs not used in other Roy montages... or overused songs in general. I know there's certain popular dubstep songs, but there are many other great stuff out there and it's nice to hear refreshing things. But still, CRAAAWWLING IN MY SKIIIN!!...
Oh, it might be hard to get, but including a clip of you beating :4roy: would be sweeeet.

Here are 2 Smash montages that do a good job at some of the tips above. Not saying your montages have to be exactly like them, as creativity & originality is important before all, but the examples help explain my points:

The combo video opens up with a dramatic scene from the Lion King. Scar (Lion King) is a pretty savage character, and from the montage we can see that Scar (Smasher) shows no mercy to his opponents haha. Quite fitting indeed. Note that when the gameplay and music starts, clips of Falcon Knee'ing opponents goes in sync with high stringed beats of the song. The last minute or two feels more carefree when the song "Hakuna Matata" starts to play. After the credits, the ending clip of Falcon is pretty funny -- he tries to yolo Knee, but SDs, costing him the match.

Hilarious thumbnail, and the creative opening transitions well to the next clip of Ganon owning Yoshi. Added text is funny and colourful (keeps viewers amused). Although I suggest that if you do want to add text keep in mind the font type. If you're making a Roy montage with clips of Roy pulverizing opponents while hardcore music about burning in the depths of hell plays, having fancy cursive font may not mesh well. Even for the title. Unless maybe you're playing someone like Marth who would probably have the most fancy handwriting. :p

Anyway, the pacing is good since various clips keep viewers entertained and interested. There's a lot of variety going on... The transition to the Falcon gameplay starts off with a hilarious clip of him from Brawl's SSE and SHOW ME YA MOVES!! There's some cool editing and sound effects used starting at 3:08. Bonus clip at the end is pretty funny, etc., etc. Even if you don't find the effects and humour amusing, the creators tried to make an engaging montage so at least there's that.

Well, that's most of the stuff that first came into my head, I hope I helped. It's always great to see more montages about our boy. <3 I should probably take a crack at montage making... but I'm not sure how to get the videos since I don't have a capture device. I only have Bandicam for PC stuff.

But seriously, down the road it would be cool if we could make a Smash 4 Roy community montage. :chuckle: Just need to find like, a bunch of Roy mains/players here and whatnot, and then throw a fiesta!

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Croph Croph , well, from computer basic101 to how to make good videos 101.

Jokes aside, your hints would even inspire me to do better, if I wasn't so hooked at Mario maker so much lately...

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I do like jab -> regrab or nair to continue the combo, or end with DED a lot, but I do need to tighten that area up a lot.
I dislike utilt a lot as a move, but it has uses and I need to experiment with it more.
I usually get around 30 with a grab at low percents. I like grab, dthrow, jab, regrab, then DED with as many sweetspots as I can, and/or the final down variation, which is a lot more guaranteed than other regrabs I've played with.
A lot of Roy's grab combos at low and mid percents involve mixups and watching what your opponent does with guaranteed ways to punish no matter what they do as long as you read and/or react correctly, which I really adore about Roy and it teaches me about smash more.
Unfortunately, some aspects of my gameplay weren't friendly with the more exciting clips, like low percent combos and kill confirms, and I'm looking to feature those more next time.

I can help with going offstage.

Mixing up your recovery with airdodges, saving you second jump, fastfalling, and angling Blazer helps.
You can use multiple options at the same time while recovering. Fastfalling while airdodging, then airdodging while jumping, then doing a plain vertical Blazer is one way to mix it up.
Using Blazer before you even use your second jump and angling it is another mixup.
Using Blazer early just to hit a hungry foe going offstage is something I love to do.
You can save your second jump, go really low, then use vertical (non-angled) Blazer after jumping.
Keep mixing up your recovery, use different tools, and switch from going high to medium to low.
If someone grabs the edge at the same time as you, roll onstage to avoid the possibility of being forced off, then watch what they do and punish.

For edgeguarding, Roy has some really nice and practical options.

You can run offstage and fair or nair without jumping.

Offstage fair while fastfalling, then jumping and using Blazer to recover is excellent to beat certain safe recovery patterns and tethers.

Going high and far with fair or bair is also good.

Offstage counter is good against recoveries with hitboxes like Ness and Shulk's.

Use friendlies and For Glory or Smashladder simply to experiment and learn while going outside your comfort zone and trying new things, it's helped me a lot. Try risky aerial combos/strings or edgeguards, or temporarily try a character that can go really far offstage like Jigglypuff or Kirby to warm up to edgeguards.

As for Undertale, I'm really glad you enjoy the demo. The game only gets better from there.
Whether you want Imperfect Pacifist, Perfect Pacifist, Mixed (killing at least one thing), or Genocide, I can help with any of those.
Yeah, I was just suprised you didn't include any low % stuff in your vid, that's why I mentioned it lol. Doesn't have to be a stock ender to be good for a montage. I'm fairly good with offstage on recovery, and I'm fairly good at ledge-guarding, but actually going offstage for a kill doesn't generally work out too well for me, though yeah, I probably should practice it more lol.

I'm probably going to try for a perfect pacifist run to start with myself, I saw the vid you linked about the genocide run, and...yeah, don't think I've got that in me lol, even though I know it's just a video game. 2 spooky 4 me. ~

But seriously, down the road it would be cool if we could make a Smash 4 Roy community montage. :chuckle: Just need to find like, a bunch of Roy mains/players here and whatnot, and then throw a fiesta!
I'd love to see a community montage, or some of the other fun community activities that are possible. For example, I host small online tournaments on a regular basis, including character group tournaments (slightly different than crew battles, since swiss style and doesn't require a specific number of specific people to attend, but still a LOT of fun), mostly for my friends over in the Marcina groups. I'd love to put one on for the Roy group, since I...ya know, main Roy, but I'm not sure if the interest is here. To show you what it'd be like, here is a link to the ruleset from the Marcina - Ganondorf one from this past weekend.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
"only one Marth at a time." "Just Roy, Ike and Lucina,"
bruh, wut
I don't see the problem. Marth isn't a Roy clone anymore. :yeahboi:

Jokes aside, Roy is as much of a Marth close, as Luigi is of Mario. Lucina and Marth are pretty much just tipping and not tipping as far as I remember.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
and I ain't yo "bruh" either, home boy.
rip

edit: I don't consider Roy to be much a Marth clone either, it's just that when people say things like "only one marth for me." they're usually talking about Marth, Roy and Lucina

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
rip

edit: I don't consider Roy to be much a Marth clone either, it's just that when people say things like "only one marth for me." they're usually talking about Marth, Roy and Lucina
Except Marth and Lucina don't have fire or scream "FIYAAH"

D

Deleted member

Just Roy, Ike and Lucina for me. Robin is too complicated for me to play and I can only have one "Marth" at a time.
I've come to prefer Marth over Lucina but I still play a lot of Lucina too.
I've been playing more Ike lately too, I've gotten used to him.

So I'm proud to say I play all 5 FE characters. c:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I've come to prefer Marth over Lucina but I still play a lot of Lucina too.
I've been playing more Ike lately too, I've gotten used to him.

So I'm proud to say I play all 5 FE characters. c:
It's safe to say that Fire Emblem became one of my favorite Nintendo franchises ever, hence the main reason why I play as three of the five FE characters in the game.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Of course Roy isn't a damn Marth clone. He's actually an alien in disguise getting ready to suck everyone's brains out. :denzel:

Aw man, I kinda liked the Computer Foundations 101 Social. :p

dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 Nice montage! I haven't done video editing in a long time (well, other than quick and easy Movie Maker stuff for projects), but I recently download Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects (got them for the whole school year), and I'll probably jump into them soon. What editor do you use? Some of my advice below can't be applied.

Anyway, since you asked for constructive criticism...hmm. I'll mostly note general tips, or certain things that I personally like seeing in montages that you could keep in mind for future vids if you like:

• Opening scenes can help grab a view's attention and hook them in, rather than just opening with gameplay footage. Could be humours, dramatic, or just footage with added effects (like gameplay sped up/slowed, zoomed, aesthetics, Smash announcer yelling whatever, "ROY'S OUR BOY!" chant, etc.). You could even try making your own thumbnail to have the video stand out more when people browse (especially of you add text and whatnot). First impressions, y'know. Special ending clips are cool too. Doesn't really have to be related to the overall theme. For example, having a clip of an epic fail moment on your end or Roy doing a crazy combo with items on For Fun. Whatever works for you. Keep in mind that if you do want to add a gameplay clip that doesn't related to the main theme, I would suggest adding it to the end so people don't get the wrong impression of what your vid is about
  • I think you already did a good job at this, but it is important to keep pacing in mind. In other words, don't start the video off with your best clips, because then you may not have enough strong ones to keep people interested. The first clip shouldn't be weak either, just something to grab people's attention which the first clip of your vid does (well all love off-stage counter kills)
  • Special effects are cool and all, but flow is more important imo. Heck, you could just have a video with an edited intro that's not too fancy, but if the body of the video flows and transitions nicely, then it looks great. Some videos try too hard with special effects and whatnot, which just makes the vid look messy and confusing to watch. Another thing is synchronizing clips to audio beats. I can't really explain it well, so you should probably watch this video to understand how to do it.
There are different ways to achieve this effect, other than placing a marker on the audio track and splitting a part of the video to start at the marker. You can speed gameplay up, slow it down to where the desirable beat/part of the song is, then speed the gameplay up to the next beat. Another example would be only having the music and sound effects play during a certain clip. Lets say there's a certain part of a song that's dramatic or has intense beats. You have a clip of Roy OHKOing an opponent with Flare Blade, so you could get rid of all gameplay audio (I think you could even do this in-game, like only have sound effects on. Just do this before and hope you record such KO), and have only the explosion sound + music beat plays = dramatic effect. Doesn't have to be Flare Blade -- a move that sounds cool or loud would work best I think. Or you could even add your own sound effect to the move while having no gameplay audio (like a real life explosion sound for when Flade Blade hits)​
  • The last clips of your montage is a bit awkward with the triple "GAME!" ending. Having the last clip show a match ending & Roy's victory would be enough. When I heard the first "GAME!" I kinda got the impression that the montage was over. Unless your intention is to have triple game endings (because 3 is a specific number...?). Some other clips might need to be trimmed as well. You can even have, say, 3 clips of Roy spiking various opponents put together
  • Your song of choice should've been something from Linkin Park... jk, jk. The song used is pretty cool. This mostly applies to non-royalty free music: if you want to use a non-royalty free song for a future montage, it's always good to find songs not used in other Roy montages... or overused songs in general. I know there's certain popular dubstep songs, but there are many other great stuff out there and it's nice to hear refreshing things. But still, CRAAAWWLING IN MY SKIIIN!!...
Oh, it might be hard to get, but including a clip of you beating :4roy: would be sweeeet.

Here are 2 Smash montages that do a good job at some of the tips above. Not saying your montages have to be exactly like them, as creativity & originality is important before all, but the examples help explain my points:

The combo video opens up with a dramatic scene from the Lion King. Scar (Lion King) is a pretty savage character, and from the montage we can see that Scar (Smasher) shows no mercy to his opponents haha. Quite fitting indeed. Note that when the gameplay and music starts, clips of Falcon Knee'ing opponents goes in sync with high stringed beats of the song. The last minute or two feels more carefree when the song "Hakuna Matata" starts to play. After the credits, the ending clip of Falcon is pretty funny -- he tries to yolo Knee, but SDs, costing him the match.

Hilarious thumbnail, and the creative opening transitions well to the next clip of Ganon owning Yoshi. Added text is funny and colourful (keeps viewers amused). Although I suggest that if you do want to add text keep in mind the font type. If you're making a Roy montage with clips of Roy pulverizing opponents while hardcore music about burning in the depths of hell plays, having fancy cursive font may not mesh well. Even for the title. Unless maybe you're playing someone like Marth who would probably have the most fancy handwriting. :p

Anyway, the pacing is good since various clips keep viewers entertained and interested. There's a lot of variety going on... The transition to the Falcon gameplay starts off with a hilarious clip of him from Brawl's SSE and SHOW ME YA MOVES!! There's some cool editing and sound effects used starting at 3:08. Bonus clip at the end is pretty funny, etc., etc. Even if you don't find the effects and humour amusing, the creators tried to make an engaging montage so at least there's that.

Well, that's most of the stuff that first came into my head, I hope I helped. It's always great to see more montages about our boy. <3 I should probably take a crack at montage making... but I'm not sure how to get the videos since I don't have a capture device. I only have Bandicam for PC stuff.

I should be able to take care of a decent amount of these with YouTube's terribad video editor, it's all I've got for a while =(

Thumbnails, pacing, matching clips to music better, clip placement, and better editing of clips and cutting the fat are the main things I'll work on. I'm looking for a way to use the in-game YouTube uploader, then a way to download whatever as a video file, then edit that without killing quality. It's not as friendly with ProVegas as I want, and WMM is a no-go. I like setting my in-game uploads to private, then editing them in the in-browser video editor. You know the thing that can convert replays that are 3 minutes or less from the game itself? I'm gonna use that for quite a while, but I'm excited for something better someday.

Thank you so much! These are the starting points I was looking for.

This video is the reason I got into competitive smash, back when I would look for people to whoop on GameFAQ's with Ike, and it's still my favorite combo video:

I should take my own notes from it....

Yeah, I was just suprised you didn't include any low % stuff in your vid, that's why I mentioned it lol. Doesn't have to be a stock ender to be good for a montage. I'm fairly good with offstage on recovery, and I'm fairly good at ledge-guarding, but actually going offstage for a kill doesn't generally work out too well for me, though yeah, I probably should practice it more lol.

I'm probably going to try for a perfect pacifist run to start with myself, I saw the vid you linked about the genocide run, and...yeah, don't think I've got that in me lol, even though I know it's just a video game. 2 spooky 4 me. ~

I'd love to see a community montage, or some of the other fun community activities that are possible. For example, I host small online tournaments on a regular basis, including character group tournaments (slightly different than crew battles, since swiss style and doesn't require a specific number of specific people to attend, but still a LOT of fun), mostly for my friends over in the Marcina groups. I'd love to put one on for the Roy group, since I...ya know, main Roy, but I'm not sure if the interest is here. To show you what it'd be like, here is a link to the ruleset from the Marcina - Ganondorf one from this past weekend.
I should play more Roys and make a community montage with all of them. There's some Smash 4 Roys I want to feature on YouTube, I just need a way to download the videos they're in and a good editor for them. Anyone got advice for this and both steps? It should help my videos too and get past my main issues earlier.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
I should be able to take care of a decent amount of these with YouTube's terribad video editor, it's all I've got for a while =(

Thumbnails, pacing, matching clips to music better, clip placement, and better editing of clips and cutting the fat are the main things I'll work on. I'm looking for a way to use the in-game YouTube uploader, then a way to download whatever as a video file, then edit that without killing quality. It's not as friendly with ProVegas as I want, and WMM is a no-go. I like setting my in-game uploads to private, then editing them in the in-browser video editor. You know the thing that can convert replays that are 3 minutes or less from the game itself? I'm gonna use that for quite a while, but I'm excited for something better someday.

Thank you so much! These are the starting points I was looking for.

This video is the reason I got into competitive smash, back when I would look for people to whoop on GameFAQ's with Ike, and it's still my favorite combo video:

I should take my own notes from it....

I should play more Roys and make a community montage with all of them. There's some Smash 4 Roys I want to feature on YouTube, I just need a way to download the videos they're in and a good editor for them. Anyone got advice for this and both steps? It should help my videos too and get past my main issues earlier.
im technically still a Roy main in all games so if you could do netplay melee and PM i could record the footage like i do to stream and do my LPs. smash 4 on the other hand i cant record since no capture card

im technically still a Roy main in all games so if you could do netplay melee and PM i could record the footage like i do to stream and do my LPs. smash 4 on the other hand i cant record since no capture card
I can't do netplay of either, or even run them past a few frames a second =(

If you have footage of netplay matches, what I could do is make a combo video out of it. I want to put more Melee and PM Roys in the spotlight, too.

There's an in-game upload for replays that are 3 minutes or less in Smash 4, it takes forever and you have to grab the footage off youtube though, plus no 60 fps capture. It's what I'm currently limited to.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Happy 1,000 posts! :)

If you're thinking about splicing YT vids already uploaded, I'd definitely recommend getting permission from the owners first, but otherwise, it sounds like a pretty good idea. I use a Firefox extension called savefrom.net helper to download my uploads from youtube, so I can cut out clips in iMovie and make them into gfycats. Dunno much about video editing beyond that, tbh. If you use Windows, I'm pretty sure Windows Movie Maker will do everything you'd probably need to make the montage; I know people that've made pretty spiffy montages using that.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Can't you upload your videos since a few patches ago on Youtube directly...?

Edit: What I actually came here for:
I plan to play roy, but I really have no idea what I should main as Partner along. I though about Rosalina or Pikatchu, but I can play so many characters in the meanwhile... what are your opinions on this matter?

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Playing with Roy is really amazing... Now I'm wonder if put as the other Main Character in SmashBoards Ike or Marth xDD

I was browsing memes and I came up to the origin of one.
View attachment 78423
Is that you dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 ?
That is indeed me. Unfortunately, the other screenshot with Kirby is missed, where it reveals the best part of it all. =(

Happy 1,000 posts! :)

If you're thinking about splicing YT vids already uploaded, I'd definitely recommend getting permission from the owners first, but otherwise, it sounds like a pretty good idea. I use a Firefox extension called savefrom.net helper to download my uploads from youtube, so I can cut out clips in iMovie and make them into gfycats. Dunno much about video editing beyond that, tbh. If you use Windows, I'm pretty sure Windows Movie Maker will do everything you'd probably need to make the montage; I know people that've made pretty spiffy montages using that.
Yess!! Someone noticed my 1000th post! I wonder if I can keep a 720p video at the same quality in WMM. If I find a way, I'm set. I'll try that Firefox add-on.

I have some low 30+ percent combos for next time around for ya, btw.

Can't you upload your videos since a few patches ago on Youtube directly...?

Edit: What I actually came here for:
I plan to play roy, but I really have no idea what I should main as Partner along. I though about Rosalina or Pikatchu, but I can play so many characters in the meanwhile... what are your opinions on this matter?
Sheik is probably the most worthwhile and covers everyone for anyone. You have to really dedicate yourself to the character, though. A scrub Ness or Sonic can be a tournament threat, but a scrub Sheik can't be. I've always been really captivated by Sheik since 3DS release day and I'm mad at myself now for not picking her up a year ago because my Sheik sucks and I lack motivation to pursue other characters.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
This is actually Roy:

They share the same voice actor.
Jun Fukuyama is such an awesome voice actor. <3

Hmm... I made a few montages of me playing TF2 in the past, but I used Bandicam to record the gameplay and Sony Vegas (well, a trial version. Just wanted to test things out). I don't have much experience using the YouTube editor and how to download YouTube videos... But downloading videos is something I should look into if I want to create Smash montages myself (although I wonder how cheap capture cards are these days...). I'm gonna do some research to find the best ones.

As for editing software, I know you said it's a no-go, but Windows Movie Maker is one of the best free editors out there. At least from my experience. I do think YouTube editor is fine though if you want to continue using it.

Yeah, I'm not sure if there's interest, but great idea nonetheless. Only thing about online tourneys is that my wifi sucks (as in, sometimes randomly disconnects), so I may or may not participate if we do end up hosting such tourney. But it's always good to keep ideas for community activities open. I would love to see a montage down the road though. I know other character boards have done such things. The only problem is, like I said, the interest level.

Have ya'll seen the Zelda montage? Pretty awesome stuff. It would actually be fun to see all Smash 4 character boards make a similar vid. Although some boards are less active than others, which could be a problem.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
That is indeed me. Unfortunately, the other screenshot with Kirby is missed, where it reveals the best part of it all. =(

Yess!! Someone noticed my 1000th post! I wonder if I can keep a 720p video at the same quality in WMM. If I find a way, I'm set. I'll try that Firefox add-on.

I have some low 30+ percent combos for next time around for ya, btw.

Sheik is probably the most worthwhile and covers everyone for anyone. You have to really dedicate yourself to the character, though. A scrub Ness or Sonic can be a tournament threat, but a scrub Sheik can't be. I've always been really captivated by Sheik since 3DS release day and I'm mad at myself now for not picking her up a year ago because my Sheik sucks and I lack motivation to pursue other characters.
You mean this one?
roy mains Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 12.30.17 AM.png

Lol did you mean this as a joke or were you serious?

Jun Fukuyama is such an awesome voice actor. <3

Hmm... I made a few montages of me playing TF2 in the past, but I used Bandicam to record the gameplay and Sony Vegas (well, a trial version. Just wanted to test things out). I don't have much experience using the YouTube editor and how to download YouTube videos... But downloading videos is something I should look into if I want to create Smash montages myself (although I wonder how cheap capture cards are these days...). I'm gonna do some research to find the best ones.

As for editing software, I know you said it's a no-go, but Windows Movie Maker is one of the best free editors out there. At least from my experience. I do think YouTube editor is fine though if you want to continue using it.

Yeah, I'm not sure if there's interest, but great idea nonetheless. Only thing about online tourneys is that my wifi sucks (as in, sometimes randomly disconnects), so I may or may not participate if we do end up hosting such tourney. But it's always good to keep ideas for community activities open. I would love to see a montage down the road though. I know other character boards have done such things. The only problem is, like I said, the interest level.

Have ya'll seen the Zelda montage? Pretty awesome stuff. It would actually be fun to see all Smash 4 character boards make a similar vid. Although some boards are less active than others, which could be a problem.
I recognize that character from a Jun Fukuyama roles video you posted a few months back!

I wouldn't mind using WMM at all if there's a way to not compress quality, both in videos I can import into 2.6 and exported videos. I may have to compromise with modern WMM, but I don't mind too much. If it means I can use FE6 music and some of my own actual stuff rather than finding okay to good tracks that YT editor lets me use, sign me up. I didn't even think about that or how there's multiple WMM's until now, I feel bad.

I could download videos of a lot of Roys I've been watching since roylease from my Roy playlist on YouTube. I would like to make a giant Roy community montage at some point, I'm bad with projects since the shieldstun addition set my nair gude way back with how I used frame data and went into detail on pre-1.1.0 shields, and built so much of it off shields, and I just haven't been motivated to start over with its new role in the meta. I love the new changes, though, I feel like Roy flows a lot more naturally with being able to poke shields and follow what his foe does after.

Ah yes, I remember that. I especially liked the :4zss::4lucina::4marth: at 8:37 :p
I need to get around to watching an hour or so exhibition featuring you from someone's channel... I think Raziel's? Raziek? My brain can't grab the name I want, I think it's one of those two.

You mean this one?
View attachment 78507
Lol did you mean this as a joke or were you serious?
Yeah, that's the screenshot! I was joking around entirely since the initial screenshot. I don't normally like bait at all, but I saw the potential payoff and went for it.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I recognize that character from a Jun Fukuyama roles video you posted a few months back!

I wouldn't mind using WMM at all if there's a way to not compress quality, both in videos I can import into 2.6 and exported videos. I may have to compromise with modern WMM, but I don't mind too much. If it means I can use FE6 music and some of my own actual stuff rather than finding okay to good tracks that YT editor lets me use, sign me up. I didn't even think about that or how there's multiple WMM's until now, I feel bad.

I could download videos of a lot of Roys I've been watching since roylease from my Roy playlist on YouTube. I would like to make a giant Roy community montage at some point, I'm bad with projects since the shieldstun addition set my nair gude way back with how I used frame data and went into detail on pre-1.1.0 shields, and built so much of it off shields, and I just haven't been motivated to start over with its new role in the meta. I love the new changes, though, I feel like Roy flows a lot more naturally with being able to poke shields and follow what his foe does after.

I need to get around to watching an hour or so exhibition featuring you from someone's channel... I think Raziel's? Raziek? My brain can't grab the name I want, I think it's one of those two.

Yeah, that's the screenshot! I was joking around entirely since the initial screenshot. I don't normally like bait at all, but I saw the potential payoff and went for it.
Lol you invented a meme. That's an interesting feat!

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
It's Raziek, the Robin who took a game off ZeRo at Big House a few weeks back. Here's the video:
The few games I played Roy in, I used Flare Blade way too much. Other than that, I thought I played okay - Raz is a far better player than I'll ever be, so not getting completely annihilated is better than I was expecting to do :p

Last edited:
Lol you invented a meme. That's an interesting feat!
I did inadvertently several times in 2013, the power always comes back to haunt me.

It's Raziek, the Robin who took a game off ZeRo at Big House a few weeks back. Here's the video:
The few games I played Roy in, I used Flare Blade way too much. Other than that, I thought I played okay - Raz is a far better player than I'll ever be, so not getting completely annihilated is better than I was expecting to do :p
I should give it a watch tomorrow. I'm finishing up 24 or so Roy sets to take notes from and manage my playlist, then I can watch that after work.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
In terms of Roy meta-game, after a ledge trump I've managed to Dsmash the opponent on the regrab, but not always. I'm wondering if it's character dependent and/or depends on the hitbox on Dsmash.
If no one else does it, I'll try to make a list of characters that get hit by Dsmash on the ledge regrab.

In terms of Roy meta-game, after a ledge trump I've managed to Dsmash the opponent on the regrab, but not always. I'm wondering if it's character dependent and/or depends on the hitbox on Dsmash.
If no one else does it, I'll try to make a list of characters that get hit by Dsmash on the ledge regrab.
It's character dependent. It depends on how much of them hangs over the stage, every character is different. I like running offstage with the sour part of back air, it has ridiculous stage spike knockback. Much more than it does when sweetspotted. Sweetspot fair is more difficult, but it sends them straight down, kind of like a spike. Blazer against any part of the stage is always amazing.

Dsmash's first slash comes out frame 6, and jab to dsmash is a true combo at low percents. I tend to overuse dsmash and leave myself really open, I need to work on not throwing it out so much to form a good neutral.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Yeah, I suspected as much lol. The option is always there, for down the road. If we're sharing character group montages, here's one put out recently by the Marcina group. It's pretty good, imo.

---

I did inadvertently several times in 2013, the power always comes back to haunt me.
You started the skilled Roy meme? LOL! I use that meme as a joke sometimes. Kinda fun to know who started it lol.

Yeah, I suspected as much lol. The option is always there, for down the road. If we're sharing character group montages, here's one put out recently by the Marcina group. It's pretty good, imo.

---

You started the skilled Roy meme? LOL! I use that meme as a joke sometimes. Kinda fun to know who started it lol.
Added to what I'll be watching when I'm off work tomorrow. I have so many good Roys and Roy moments in mind. Which brings me to my next topic:

EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THIS OH MY GOD

https://youtu.be/O-pNX_RH3Mc?list=PLyjrSXzY5Wcnd5LlnLWlVutb800Pf_h6k&t=522

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

I should give it a watch tomorrow. I'm finishing up 24 or so Roy sets to take notes from and manage my playlist, then I can watch that after work.
24 Roy sets!?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that watches a bunch of Roy matches. When those new vids from my subscriptions roll in--

Duuude, I saw that match not too long ago and was freaking out when he got the spike. And for some reason I was nervous the whole time watching. Probably because the set felt really intense, but I usually never get that nervous.

Whoa, I really like the Marcina montage!

Only problem is, I almost cried at the end hearing Tears After the Cloudy Weather. :( :laugh: The old school soundtrack from the Pokemon anime is pretty awesome (nostalgia aside).

Ikr? Who knew...

Top Bottom