• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I loved 1v1'ing Murdock with Cath, Medeus with Julian, and making Sothe a general-destroying tank several times in PoR.
YA THIEF CREW, *HACK* I mean 'outlaw' crew or whatever the hell they renamed it to
26458589.jpg

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Ayy I just got my 3rd fe game, fe7, on the wii u virtual console. From what I've heard fe a and ss are 2 of the easier games in the franchise (I'm not surprised, I didn't struggle too hard with them) so with those being the only other 2 I've played, I don't know quite how hard I'll find fe7. I'm only on ch 2 think but I already know I won't use Kent but will use Sain just by their appearances and personalities, does anyone else get that while playing fe? where you know from the moment you meet a character if you'll use them or not? Anyway I already hate how much it babies me through the intro, not that I'm not surprised about it though, considering it was the 1st game out of japan, I hope it stops soon though. Please don't give me character spoilers, I want to see them for the first time myself.
AYY SAIN I THINK WE CAN BE FRIENDS

but please use his boon companion too, it will feel empty without him as well

And when I'm playing FE I just kinda use all of the units that I make OP from the beginning, or ones that look nice.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
So I am picking up Roy as a secondary. Mainly because he was my childhood favorite and his fighting style is excelent. I think that Roy might be one of the most aggressive characters in the game. Also, attacking with a sword upside down just looks sick.

Any advice for me?
Roy isn't a straight up agressive character, or at least you have to be really careful. His frame data is too slow for that. Like, for example, Captain Falcon can go in easier because his dash grab is so good, and he can cover close quarters combat options with his frame 3 jab. Roy has to be a bit more careful, at least imo. I think of him more as a walling, pressure, bait and punish type character, but that's just me lol. I like to use nair especially (A LOT) to own the stage (you can string nairs into nairs, sweetspot and sourspot), and force them to stay in frame trap situations because they can't easily get away from Roy's great mobliity. Also, don't be afraid to throw out uairs while you're being combo'd, it can actually work as a combo-breaker in some situations (not all, some). Just watch out for baits.

Also, people both love and hate how Roy holds his sword in this game lol. On one hand, less range than Marcina. On the other hand, less blindspots, and many of his hitboxes will actually hit behind him, such as jab and ftilt. Personally, I agree: the way he holds his sword looks totally cool.

If I.S wants to add past lords with DLC and sees some epic art, who knows? Maybe they'll have one of their picks, a character previously left out. Roy's mesh and new design in Smash looks eerily similar to obscure art a good amount of us sent in via ballot, email, and social media together early this year....

Awakening = leaving out Eliwood and some other lords entirely, Fates = no word on most continents with less hope for epic DLC redesigns.

I want to see Eliwood and Hector get their chance in Fates. I want to see Lyndis get something new too since being a trio is what makes them, and any of them being left out destroys that.

Their obscurity isn't what's hurting them, it's that they don't originate from Archanea or Ylisse for prime milking in the case of Fates, and that Lyndis was used to represent FE7 in Awakening when they could have just used all three since FE7's strength and role in FE history was having a heavily-contrasting lord trio. But I.S is a bunch of bucket heads.

Nah, it's only the people who say "Fire Emblem" and only mean Awakening and Fates that do this, anyone who is willing to at least acknowledge older titles and/or not Awakening-inize everything and maybe try more Fire Emblem when opportunities arise are A+ in my book.

*PTSD flashbacks of multiple people saying Lucina should/will replace Marth*
*flashbacks of people saying Chrom and/or Lucina should or will replace Ike*
*flashbacks of people saying that Roy's moveset should have been given to Chrom*
*flashbacks of people saying Ike would be cut at all*
*flashbacks of people thinking Marth/Ike/Chrom would be our only FE representation*
*recent laser eye hotflashes of people saying Kamui is a better DLC choice than Roy despite already having Robin AND Lucina*

I love 50% of Awakening and hate the other 50%. It feels like a second-rate anime, with painfully glaring plotholes and a good amount of dialogue bits that make no sense which detract from it. There were many opportunities for better writing and actual plot twists, unlike the "twists" they tried to throw in and eventually gave up on. Minimal strategy elements and just a meh feel overall hurt it. I still see an incredible amount of potential with what it could have been, and wouldn't mind the game reworked at some point to become much better.

Awakening on the first half of my first playthrough left a much, much better impression than any following glances at the game. You might be where I was in that regard if you have yet to try the game. If you do get more of a taste for it, you may feel the same, where its brand of different isn't a progressive or great one.

I can't see the necessary changes to fix the series with what truly makes Fire Emblem while remaining able to gross so many sales and appeal to the same crowd happening, unfortunately. They are definitely possible, though, so I'll peek in every now and then.

I was on the same thread briefly. I don't have the energy and patience to bother more with it for a while though.

Don't worry about that. You're fighting the good fight now and that's all that matters. It's a better time to push for the last DLC characters and future amiibo and FE content anyways rather than bother with it. You were previously against Roy around that time before seeing ChronoBound's words, and you weren't on Smashboards near as much iirc, which is perfectly fine and makes it easily understandable that you weren't there. You don't have to be from the support thread to be a valuable social member. bluecrow's a cool dude who isn't from that time and I still have a lot of respect for him.

It's only uphill from Shadow Dragon. FE7 and The Sacred Stones are recommendations I have for your next game that are easily-accessible.

I used to do this a lot more than I do now, it's more about teambuilding and classes for me now but I still will insta-use any character who truly stands out to me.

I loved 1v1'ing Murdock with Cath, Medeus with Julian, and making Sothe a general/laguz-destroying tank several times in PoR.

I always 1v1 Hardin with Feena, similar deal I suppose.

At least 7x and 10 are free reign, and Lyn's chapters can be sped through in less than an hour.

Learn what's safe in Roy's neutral, especially on shield and in footsies.

His punish game is good, use his falling uair/jab/fthrow/dthrow as universal combo starters, fair strings, maximize pummels, know when everything kills, and create sick strings based on DI/landing/reactions and such.

I would type more if I didn't have to go soon.

^_^ FE7 and Sacred Stones; I'll remember those.

I'm on chapter 6 of Shadow Dragon rn, and I'm mostly happy with my current army. Marth, Caeda, Cain, Abel, Draug, Gordin, Barst, Lena, Navarre, Merric, Wolf, Wrys, Ogma, and Julian. I'm trying not to spoil myself on the story, so I'm kinda picking characters with a vacuum of information (haven't checked Fire Emblem sites for min-maxing yet). The two I'm probably least happy with is Wrys (he's higher level than Lena and Merric, but his damage output is meh; I'm rotating my mages/healers for healer exp grinding; I hope class doesn't affect stat growth though lol), and Julian (forged a sword for him specially so he could actually do some damage; not sure if worth yet, but I wanted a thief on my team). We'll see how it goes. ^_^

Troykv

Smash Master
*PTSD flashbacks of multiple people saying Lucina should/will replace Marth*
*flashbacks of people saying Chrom and/or Lucina should or will replace Ike*
*flashbacks of people saying that Roy's moveset should have been given to Chrom*
*flashbacks of people saying Ike would be cut at all*
*flashbacks of people thinking Marth/Ike/Chrom would be our only FE representation*
*recent laser eye hotflashes of people saying Kamui is a better DLC choice than Roy despite already having Robin AND Lucina*

Oh god... I felt bad for Ike... Almost everyone expect to see him cut, and put Chrom in "his place" like the "Roy > Ike case". I'm grateful that doesn't was the case.

I'm also grateful to know that the japaneses don't insta-jump in the bandwagoning supporting the Fates characters.

And of course, I'm really happy to see Roy again over Chrom personally I find the MaIke dude boring when isn't a meme dialogue.

I love 50% of Awakening and hate the other 50%. It feels like a second-rate anime, with painfully glaring plotholes and a good amount of dialogue bits that make no sense which detract from it. There were many opportunities for better writing and actual plot twists, unlike the "twists" they tried to throw in and eventually gave up on. Minimal strategy elements and just a meh feel overall hurt it. I still see an incredible amount of potential with what it could have been, and wouldn't mind the game reworked at some point to become much better.

Awakening on the first half of my first playthrough left a much, much better impression than any following glances at the game. You might be where I was in that regard if you have yet to try the game. If you do get more of a taste for it, you may feel the same, where its brand of different isn't a progressive or great one.
This are my opinions about the game, has great parts (like the music), okay parts (some characters are more original and cool than others), awful parts (the plots twists with Deux Ex Machina and the boring maps).

I can't see the necessary changes to fix the series with what truly makes Fire Emblem while remaining able to gross so many sales and appeal to the same crowd happening, unfortunately. They are definitely possible, though, so I'll peek in every now and then.

I was on the same thread briefly. I don't have the energy and patience to bother more with it for a while though.
I'm wonder how exactly help more the game... The actual game advertising or other things?

Don't worry about that. You're fighting the good fight now and that's all that matters. It's a better time to push for the last DLC characters and future amiibo and FE content anyways rather than bother with it. You were previously against Roy around that time before seeing ChronoBound's words, and you weren't on Smashboards near as much iirc, which is perfectly fine and makes it easily understandable that you weren't there. You don't have to be from the support thread to be a valuable social member. bluecrow's a cool dude who isn't from that time and I still have a lot of respect for him.
*Still expecting that post*

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
This are my opinions about the game, has great parts (like the music), okay parts (some characters are more original and cool than others), awful parts (the plots twists with Deux Ex Machina and the boring maps).
I actually really loved the music of awakening, couple sour spots, but overall I enjoyed it

I couldn't tell you why (legitimately have no clue), but I only liked one character in Awakening

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
AYY SAIN I THINK WE CAN BE FRIENDS

but please use his boon companion too, it will feel empty without him as well

And when I'm playing FE I just kinda use all of the units that I make OP from the beginning, or ones that look nice.
I personally don't really like Kent, also I usually prefer to only use one cavalier.

also, imo the most Kreygasmic song all of fea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WEOmKkGfR8

I personally don't really like Kent, also I usually prefer to only use one cavalier.

also, imo the most Kreygasmic song all of fea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WEOmKkGfR8
Good pick.

Why not 5+ cavaliers?

I'm mad cause I can't find my file with Sain, Kent, and Lowen promoted with Marcus and Isadora in my final party as well.

Oh yeah, Priscilla and Rath promoted, too.

D

Deleted member

I haven't posted here in ages.
How are my fellow Roy boyz and girlz? (and yes I still use Roy despite what my profile says)

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I haven't posted here in ages.
How are my fellow Roy boyz and girlz? (and yes I still use Roy despite what my profile says)
Can school count as a feeling? If it does and you don't understand what I mean, I'll give you my definition:

1. school (skool)
noun
A feeling that signals mental deterioration and physical changes in appearance, not limited to but including: dark eyes, slouched shoulders, and glassy eyes.

Other than that, I'm decent. when I actually get time to do things besides study

How about you?

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
If I.S wants to add past lords with DLC and sees some epic art, who knows? Maybe they'll have one of their picks, a character previously left out. Roy's mesh and new design in Smash looks eerily similar to obscure art a good amount of us sent in via ballot, email, and social media together early this year....

Awakening = leaving out Eliwood and some other lords entirely, Fates = no word on most continents with less hope for epic DLC redesigns.

I want to see Eliwood and Hector get their chance in Fates. I want to see Lyndis get something new too since being a trio is what makes them, and any of them being left out destroys that.

Their obscurity isn't what's hurting them, it's that they don't originate from Archanea or Ylisse for prime milking in the case of Fates, and that Lyndis was used to represent FE7 in Awakening when they could have just used all three since FE7's strength and role in FE history was having a heavily-contrasting lord trio. But I.S is a bunch of bucket heads.
I dunno man, for one thing Roy's fan design and Roy's actual design don't look all too similar aside from the fact that they both are a mixture between the Awakening and SoS design. I actually prefer the fan design more; it's more sleek looking. I really don't like the whole bell-bottoms thing going on with SSB4 Roy lol.
Also, was that pic actually posted with the campaign you sent to Nintendo? If so, then if that design actually inspired Smash 4 Roy, then that means they actually saw it. Can't say that about my picture. It's on my tumblr, DA and reddit. That's it. XD

That's sad that they can't milk out FE7, I mean it's definitely a marketable game and a very important game in the franchise. It's the first game that got released outside of Japan. In fact, on a recent Fates poll, FE7 came either third or second as one of the games people played before Fates. It's still a relevant game.

I think the reason why they gave Lyn DLC was because of two reasons: She actually appears in Smash Bros, with full voice acting and everything, and she's a cute girl. Cute girl+Smash notoriety= EZ marketing. Can't say that about Eliwood and Hector. Eliwood has to compete with Roy, who is already popular and looks just like him. Hector? Well he's more popular at least. I actually don't know why he didn't get DLC. It's probably because he's not a cute anime girl like I said.

And I remember for the Song of 100 Heroes set, they drew Eliwood and Lyn (albeit with rehashed DLC art) but they didn't draw Hector. It's so weird how IS only represents one or two characters of the FE7 trio but exclude the other. This isn't just with official sources either, it's with the fanbase as well. Hector and Lyn are usually praised while Eliwood is forgotten or criticized. I like all three of them; is it a crime to have all them all together? XD

I see. I haven't bought Awakening yet due to money and time, but I need to. Gotta see why the game is such a big deal after all.

Troykv

Smash Master
I dunno man, for one thing Roy's fan design and Roy's actual design don't look all too similar aside from the fact that they both are a mixture between the Awakening and SoS design. I actually prefer the fan design more; it's more sleek looking. I really don't like the whole bell-bottoms thing going on with SSB4 Roy lol.
Also, was that pic actually posted with the campaign you sent to Nintendo? If so, then if that design actually inspired Smash 4 Roy, then that means they actually saw it. Can't say that about my picture. It's on my tumblr, DA and reddit. That's it. XD

That's sad that they can't milk out FE7, I mean it's definitely a marketable game and a very important game in the franchise. It's the first game that got released outside of Japan. In fact, on a recent Fates poll, FE7 came either third or second as one of the games people played before Fates. It's still a relevant game.

I think the reason why they gave Lyn DLC was because of two reasons: She actually appears in Smash Bros, with full voice acting and everything, and she's a cute girl. Cute girl+Smash notoriety= EZ marketing. Can't say that about Eliwood and Hector. Eliwood has to compete with Roy, who is already popular and looks just like him. Hector? Well he's more popular at least. I actually don't know why he didn't get DLC. It's probably because he's not a cute anime girl like I said.

And I remember for the Song of 100 Heroes set, they drew Eliwood and Lyn (albeit with rehashed DLC art) but they didn't draw Hector. It's so weird how IS only represents one or two characters of the FE7 trio but exclude the other. This isn't just with official sources either, it's with the fanbase as well. Hector and Lyn are usually praised while Eliwood is forgotten or criticized. I like all three of them; is it a crime to have all them all together? XD.
Fire Emblem was before Awakening's release the Fire Emblem best seller worldwide (and the only game before Awakening that almost get 1M).

Wait... Hector doesn't get a "Song of 100 Heroes" Art? Even the other "missing in Awakening" guys get a Art... Weird xD

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Fire Emblem was before Awakening's release the Fire Emblem best seller worldwide (and the only game before Awakening that almost get 1M).

Wait... Hector doesn't get a "Song of 100 Heroes" Art? Even the other "missing in Awakening" guys get a Art... Weird xD
Wow, really? That makes even less sense for IS to ignore FE7 now.

Nope. He didn't. I have no clue why, I mean Eliwood got a picture, and he's way less popular. He didn't even get top ten in the FE Famitsu poll yet Hector and Lyn did. I guess Eliwood got a picture because he is technically the main character of FE7... I dunno IS is weird.

Anyway, does anyone know how I could post deviant art pictures here? I found this really cool pictures you guys might like; it's on the topic of the FE7 lords in Fates. I'll post a link here: http://fav.me/d9c0gdx

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Anyway, does anyone know how I could post deviant art pictures here? I found this really cool pictures you guys might like; it's on the topic of the FE7 lords in Fates. I'll post a link here: http://fav.me/d9c0gdx
image tutorial.png

Fire Emblem was before Awakening's release the Fire Emblem best seller worldwide
not really much of a competition no one bought FE9, 10, 11

Wow, really? That makes even less sense for IS to ignore FE7 now.

Nope. He didn't. I have no clue why, I mean Eliwood got a picture, and he's way less popular. He didn't even get top ten in the FE Famitsu poll yet Hector and Lyn did. I guess Eliwood got a picture because he is technically the main character of FE7... I dunno IS is weird.

Just thinking about that poll and the reddit discussion over it makes me incredibly livid. Especially Roy and Eliwood not being up to par with other Elibe lords when some questionables are in other slots, and people rubbing that in a lot. r/fireemblem has repeatedly disappointed me on a lot of things since its creation, /feg/ died years ago and will never return to its former glory, I stopped wanting to post on my Facebook page for FE that was previously active for 4 years and Fire Emblem on Facebook declined in quality a long time ago, serenes forums were always horrible news but at least their front page is always A+, etcetera with emphasis on eh. It's part of why I'm afraid to discuss FE or keep up to date on literally anything going on with FE. All news articles on anything related to FE have been incredibly disappointing. Chrom and Lucina in Project X Zone 2? Tharja figurine and being featured more in Illusory when what it hyped up with all series lords is nowhere to be seen? Illusory Revelations not living up to the hype it created in 2013 at all? I'm trapped, aha. I sometimes wish I could like the popular lords more, or that Awakening resonated much more with me, so that things could be easier with both official representation and headcanon/general fan opinions. I don't really know how to go and don't know if staying's worth it, kind of a ghost state. A deal with the devil where I got into the series years ago and enjoyed it a lot more, but now I'm in Fire Emblem Hell anywhere I go.

At least Super Beats uploaded a lot of nice stuff lately. Ahhhhhhh....

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
All news articles on anything related to FE have been incredibly disappointing. Chrom and Lucina in Project X Zone 2? Tharja figurine and being featured more in Illusory when what it hyped up with all series lords is nowhere to be seen? Illusory Revelations not living up to the hype it created in 2013 at all? I'm trapped, aha. I sometimes wish I could like the popular lords more, or that Awakening resonated much more with me, so that things could be easier with both official representation and headcanon/general fan opinions. I don't really know how to go and don't know if staying's worth it, kind of a ghost state. A deal with the devil where I got into the series years ago and enjoyed it a lot more, but now I'm in Fire Emblem Hell anywhere I go.
I feel similar things... Actually, I was more hyped with the Ike and co. Fire Emblem Cipher Cards than the other news.. (Chrom and Lucina in PXZ2 leave hyped for other reasons that the character itself... the Fire Emblem Representation in that Crossover, even if Ike is the only no-Akanea character... please).

And the lords that I like more... Well, my favorite ones are Roy and Micaiah so... (At least the japaneses love them xD)

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Just thinking about that poll and the reddit discussion over it makes me incredibly livid. Especially Roy and Eliwood not being up to par with other Elibe lords when some questionables are in other slots, and people rubbing that in a lot. r/fireemblem has repeatedly disappointed me on a lot of things since its creation, /feg/ died years ago and will never return to its former glory, I stopped wanting to post on my Facebook page for FE that was previously active for 4 years and Fire Emblem on Facebook declined in quality a long time ago, serenes forums were always horrible news but at least their front page is always A+, etcetera with emphasis on eh. It's part of why I'm afraid to discuss FE or keep up to date on literally anything going on with FE. All news articles on anything related to FE have been incredibly disappointing. Chrom and Lucina in Project X Zone 2? Tharja figurine and being featured more in Illusory when what it hyped up with all series lords is nowhere to be seen? Illusory Revelations not living up to the hype it created in 2013 at all? I'm trapped, aha. I sometimes wish I could like the popular lords more, or that Awakening resonated much more with me, so that things could be easier with both official representation and headcanon/general fan opinions. I don't really know how to go and don't know if staying's worth it, kind of a ghost state. A deal with the devil where I got into the series years ago and enjoyed it a lot more, but now I'm in Fire Emblem Hell anywhere I go.

At least Super Beats uploaded a lot of nice stuff lately. Ahhhhhhh....
Man, I can relate. Majority of my favorite lords are the unpopular or mediocre ones: Eliwood, Eirika and maybe Roy. The only popular lords I like are Hector and Ephraim. I would have added Lucina, but I don't like her as much as I did back then. Kinda hurts to see that none of my favorite lords aside from Hector and Ephraim made the list. It even hurts more to see people crap on my favorite lords. I have to deal with it though; as ridiculous the hate bandwagoning is for some of these characters, not everyone is going to like the characters I like.

Surprisingly, I don't find /r/fireemblem to be that bad. Heck, I've found quite a few Eliwood fans on there. Yeah, the vast majority tend to crap on him and worship lords like Ike or Hector, but they're a nice community. It's not too big, but not too small either. I'm already making a reputation for myself there, lol.

Serenesforest in my opinion was even nicer. Barely saw others crap on each other's favorite characters. Then again, I haven't been on there since 2012 so things may have changed a bit.

Yessss I feel the same way you do about the news. More Awakening and Fates stuff! Yay? I especially am disappointed with SMT x FE. The original trailer had all the lords in it. I was expecting awesome, HD graphics and full blown voice acting for all the lords. Fast forward to 2015 where the first trailer for SMT was shown. My first response was: "What?"It looked more like a new Persona game than a new FE or SMT game. "Oh well," I thought, "Maybe they will reference the older characters somehow." Nope! Turns out they're only adding Awakening and Shadow Dragon characters! Boring, but that's what sells so I'm not surprised. Besides, they're not making the game for me, they're making the game for the newer fans. At least #FE has an original concept? Really wish they at least had gotten rid of the fanservice. Don't like fanservice at all.

Edit: Like you, I also wish I liked more popular things, but that's what makes us unique, right? If everyone liked the same things, the world would be boring. Liking unpopular things becomes more special when you find someone who also likes those unpopular things.

Last edited:
Man, I can relate. Majority of my favorite lords are the unpopular or mediocre ones: Eliwood, Eirika and maybe Roy. The only popular lords I like are Hector and Ephraim. I would have added Lucina, but I don't like her as much as I did back then. Kinda hurts to see that none of my favorite lords aside from Hector and Ephraim made the list. It even hurts more to see people crap on my favorite lords. I have to deal with it though; as ridiculous the hate bandwagoning is for some of these characters, not everyone is going to like the characters I like.

Surprisingly, I don't find /r/fireemblem to be that bad. Heck, I've found quite a few Eliwood fans on there. Yeah, the vast majority tend to crap on him and worship lords like Ike or Hector, but they're a nice community. It's not too big, but not too small either. I'm already making a reputation for myself there, lol.

Serenesforest in my opinion was even nicer. Barely saw others crap on each other's favorite characters. Then again, I haven't been on there since 2012 so things may have changed a bit.

Yessss I feel the same way you do about the news. More Awakening and Fates stuff! Yay? I especially am disappointed with SMT x FE. The original trailer had all the lords in it. I was expecting awesome, HD graphics and full blown voice acting for all the lords. Fast forward to 2015 where the first trailer for SMT was shown. My first response was: "What?"It looked more like a new Persona game than a new FE or SMT game. "Oh well," I thought, "Maybe they will reference the older characters somehow." Nope! Turns out they're only adding Awakening and Shadow Dragon characters! Boring, but that's what sells so I'm not surprised. Besides, they're not making the game for me, they're making the game for the newer fans. At least #FE has an original concept? Really wish they at least had gotten rid of the fanservice. Don't like fanservice at all.
-}==>mediocre

dear fire emblem lords they've brainwashed you too

I wish you were around during Facebook or /feg/'s primes, I'm truly sorry

the reason I'm really disappointed in what Illusory did is because of the 2013 trailer, they were initially making the game for us and trying to hype us up alongside newer fans

I'm being way too submissive and just pessimistic on this stuff, I gotta cut the cord entirely on FE besides a draft run group I'm in and private discussion with a few close friends.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Unpopular lords?
49438306_p11_master1200.jpg

no one will argue with you about Leif cause no one cares. I'm super ok with it at this point
I never liked atlas anyways, I just needed another to like them less while I was at it.

also I saw that fail image post, you can't hide from me
This is a very oddly addressed letter
I'm being way too submissive and just pessimistic on this stuff, I gotta cut the cord entirely on FE besides a draft run group I'm in and private discussion with a few close friends.
jump ship and play banner saga

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Can school count as a feeling? If it does and you don't understand what I mean, I'll give you my definition:

1. school (skool)
noun
A feeling that signals mental deterioration and physical changes in appearance, not limited to but including: dark eyes, slouched shoulders, and glassy eyes.

Other than that, I'm decent. when I actually get time to do things besides study
Tell me about it. After Tuesday & Friday classes I always take a nap because waking up before dawn for school ain't my thing. It's like the only time I take naps, strangely enough (unless if I'm really sick). Also, if anyone has some tips on how to create 2-point perspective grids & boxes and 2-point perspective chairs I'd greatly appreciate it. :p for some reason I'm not accurate with my drawings...

On another note, saw this while playing on the Miiverse stage and I totally had to look up the artist after

I feel like a lot of FE fans are stuck in limbo (including myself) nowadays. I won't repeat what's already been said, but I remember a year ago (before the SMT x FE trailer) I said that if IS really wants to explore and expand on the romance/dating sim concept (for whatever reasons) in FE, I'd appreciate a separate spin-off game more. I guess we're kinda getting that in SMT x FE, and although I'm probably gonna get the game, the major focus on Awakening and Shadow Dragon characters is really disappointing. There's a chance we may see Ike and Roy via amiibo though, which would make me feel a bit better. I'll also be happy if we see Merric and/or Camus, but I kinda doubt it.

You know what Fates kinda reminds me of? Rune Factory (I certainly wouldn't make the comparison to the older FE games though). There's just so many life simulation things to do in Fates (cooking, mining, interactions, dressing units up, etc.), and of course there's more otaku pandering. There's a reason why in FE-Amie units blush a lot, act nervous, and have fidgety movements (who are they appealing to I wonder...). I still love the series too much to drop, so I just grin and bear things tbh.

While most of the fanservice-y features are optional in the end, it does show what direction the series is taking. There's a translation of a Fates survey that Famitsu conducted. People commented on the marriage system (some like it, others prefer Genealogy's system). Here's the translation, but SPOILER WARNING!?

I never liked atlas anyways, I just needed another to like them less while I was at it.

They localized the Baroque PS2/Wii remake (which was initially why I bought the game), and it was my first roguelike game. Gameplay itself (especially the combat system) is pretty mediocre, but the story, characters, and atmosphere is like one awesome mind****. A roguelike RPG where you're suppose to die? Sign me up! But yeah, I guess the company will always have a special place in my heart for introducing me to Baroque. I really want to import the original game, but first I need a Sega Saturn... Sometimes I wish the games were more popular because it feels like there's 15 people in the whole entire fandom lol.

I always have a thing for companies that localize niche/obscure games. XSEED is one of my fave also.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

They localized the Baroque PS2/Wii remake (which was initially why I bought the game), and it was my first roguelike game. Gameplay itself (especially the combat system) is pretty mediocre, but the story, characters, and atmosphere is like one awesome mind****. A roguelike RPG where you're suppose to die? Sign me up! But yeah, I guess the company will always have a special place in my heart for introducing me to Baroque. I really want to import the original game, but first I need a Sega Saturn... Sometimes I wish the games were more popular because it feels like there's 15 people in the whole entire fandom lol.

I always have a thing for companies that localize niche/obscure games. XSEED is one of my fave also.
Sorry, but pretty much everything I've played from them has been garbage

D

Deleted member

1. school (skool)
noun

How about you?
School is lame, I'm so glad I don't go to school anymore.
Except when I take college classes sometimes, I only take them when I have enough money.

As for me, I'm trying to 'gid gud' at Smash since my boyfriend's 7 year old brother is even better than me. D:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
-}==>mediocre

I wish you were around during Facebook or /feg/'s primes, I'm truly sorry

the reason I'm really disappointed in what Illusory did is because of the 2013 trailer, they were initially making the game for us and trying to hype us up alongside newer fans

Dude, I'm not brainwashed. I've played bits of FE7/FE8 before, and Eliwood/Eirika aren't nearly as good as Hector/Ephraim. That doesn't bother me though; I still like them both despite them not being the best units. Whenever Eliwood/Eirika lands a kill, it is very satisfying. Calling lords mediocre is only bad if you also hate the entire character for that reason. I can like things while still admitting their flaws. I think it's healthy to think that way.

No need to be sorry. I've had plenty of interesting discussions on FE forums. Sometimes you just have to open up your mind and listen. c:
Unpopular lords?
View attachment 76874
no one will argue with you about Leif cause no one cares. I'm super ok with it at this point

also I saw that fail image post, you can't hide from me
Yeah, I removed Leif and Sigurd from my original post because not many people know about them to talk badly about them; it made no sense for me to mention them.

I like Atlus, but mostly for Persona and Radiant Historia which looks interesting. Other than that though, I don't really care for the rest of their games. I would've liked their #FE idea better if it were just its own IP; no SMT, no FE just its own thing. It would make things much less disappointing for me.

Yeaaaah had to edit that out. Looked stupid with the rest of my reply, lol.

Tell me about it. After Tuesday & Friday classes I always take a nap because waking up before dawn for school ain't my thing. It's like the only time I take naps, strangely enough (unless if I'm really sick). Also, if anyone has some tips on how to create 2-point perspective grids & boxes and 2-point perspective chairs I'd greatly appreciate it. :p for some reason I'm not accurate with my drawings...

On another note, saw this while playing on the Miiverse stage and I totally had to look up the artist after

I feel like a lot of FE fans are stuck in limbo (including myself) nowadays. I won't repeat what's already been said, but I remember a year ago (before the SMT x FE trailer) I said that if IS really wants to explore and expand on the romance/dating sim concept (for whatever reasons) in FE, I'd appreciate a separate spin-off game more. I guess we're kinda getting that in SMT x FE, and although I'm probably gonna get the game, the major focus on Awakening and Shadow Dragon characters is really disappointing. There's a chance we may see Ike and Roy via amiibo though, which would make me feel a bit better. I'll also be happy if we see Merric and/or Camus, but I kinda doubt it.

You know what Fates kinda reminds me of? Rune Factory (I certainly wouldn't make the comparison to the older FE games though). There's just so many life simulation things to do in Fates (cooking, mining, interactions, dressing units up, etc.), and of course there's more otaku pandering. There's a reason why in FE-Amie units blush a lot, act nervous, and have fidgety movements (who are they appealing to I wonder...). I still love the series too much to drop, so I just grin and bear things tbh.

While most of the fanservice-y features are optional in the end, it does show what direction the series is taking. There's a translation of a Fates survey that Famitsu conducted. People commented on the marriage system (some like it, others prefer Genealogy's system). Here's the translation, but SPOILER WARNING!?
First of all, that shirtless Roy drawing. Hnnnngh. Isn't he fifteen though? I hope he isn't. He looks older than fifteen in Smash 4. Second, I don't know how the heck people do drawings like that in Miiverse. I can only do head shots because that's all I have room for. Maybe I need to learn how to get creative with composition or something. Unfortunately, there aren't very many good tutorials on drawing in Miiverse, so I have to learn everything from scratch. Perhaps I could show you some of my Miiverse drawings for funsies.

The thing about #FE is that the concept is actually pretty cool, I just don't like how they represented FE in there. I'm not into Shadow Dragon, and I feel that Awakening is being hyped too much. I like Awakening, but I want the other countries to be represented in #FE. Honestly, I would've been less disappointed with #FE if it were either its own franchise, or if it had better FE representation.

I'll grin and bear the series too; I'm still into Pokemon for goodness sakes, even after the disappointment that was ORAS. I just hope that next FE, the anime-ness would be toned down. I like anime, but the cliches commonly found in anime are freaking annoying; I liked FE's somewhat gritty medieval setting. I hardly see that theme in anime/video games without the theme being ruined by otaku stuff.

Yeah, I read the survey a while ago. The problem with marriage is how poorly implemented it is in Fates. I liked it back when marriage was a one time thing. At least FE7 apparently was one of the games people played the most before Fates. It's the only non Ylisse/Akanaeia(sp?) game on there, yet IS forgets that it exists...

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Roy Kappa.png

Hey look guys! I found Roy!

Oh how salty I am about Nils, he seems so chill and I really want to use him but... he's a bard... I hate using bards...
Just making sure, there's no way he can fight, right? If there is then I'll totally do that and use him, unless it's like the enemy control glitch in fe8, I don't really like abusing glitches that way. Well at least his sister looks chill, and I have a good feeling that she'll use magic, or at least have some form of attacking. Also Eliwood! I can tell already that I'm gonna love Eliwood

edit:
RIP: my hopes and dreams of not having 2 of my least favourite class in one fe game

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
View attachment 76928

I'll grin and bear the series too; I'm still into Pokemon for goodness sakes, even after the disappointment that was ORAS. I just hope that next FE, the anime-ness would be toned down. I like anime, but the cliches commonly found in anime are freaking annoying; I liked FE's somewhat gritty medieval setting. I hardly see that theme in anime/video games without the theme being ruined by otaku stuff.
I actually ended up not getting ORAS, just because the 3d models did not look as pretty as bit models or R/S/E. Is it really that disappointing?
Yeah, I read the survey a while ago. The problem with marriage is how poorly implemented it is in Fates. I liked it back when marriage was a one time thing. At least FE7 apparently was one of the games people played the most before Fates. It's the only non Ylisse/Akanaeia(sp?) game on there, yet IS forgets that it exists...
ylisse is technically the same place because marth or something

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
ORAS was a dissapointment? In what way?
It pretty much is after SoulSilver my favourite one, I'd really like the reasoning for this statement.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I actually ended up not getting ORAS, just because the 3d models did not look as pretty as bit models or R/S/E. Is it really that disappointing?

Okay, I found it disappointing because it felt... slow? Like they were trying too hard to embellish it? I also didn't like how they didn't bring back the Battle Frontier. The BF was one of the main reasons why I liked Hoenn to begin with. I prefer X and Y over ORAS for some reason.
ORAS was a dissapointment? In what way?
It pretty much is after SoulSilver my favourite one, I'd really like the reasoning for this statement.
It could just be because I'm burnt out on Pokemon atm, or I overhyped the game, but I found ORAS disappointing for two reasons: It felt a lot slower than the older games, probably due to cutscenes and extra game mechanics. Then there's the fact that they took out the Battle Frontier because Game a Freak thought that the mobile gaming generation wouldn't have the patience to beat it. The BF was one of those things that fixed Pokemon's post game and they got rid of it. :c

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Why isn't this a side event at tourneys

Does anyone know if Ryu was still in hitstun before the dair connected?

"First imma start by saying I'm not ordinary"
"ROY!!"
"Born to rap, this stuff is not temporary"

I'm excited for where we go next now that the fighter ballot's closed. Into a new era....

Dude, I'm not brainwashed. I've played bits of FE7/FE8 before, and Eliwood/Eirika aren't nearly as good as Hector/Ephraim. That doesn't bother me though; I still like them both despite them not being the best units. Whenever Eliwood/Eirika lands a kill, it is very satisfying. Calling lords mediocre is only bad if you also hate the entire character for that reason. I can like things while still admitting their flaws. I think it's healthy to think that way.

No need to be sorry. I've had plenty of interesting discussions on FE forums. Sometimes you just have to open up your mind and listen. c:

Yeah, I removed Leif and Sigurd from my original post because not many people know about them to talk badly about them; it made no sense for me to mention them.

I like Atlus, but mostly for Persona and Radiant Historia which looks interesting. Other than that though, I don't really care for the rest of their games. I would've liked their #FE idea better if it were just its own IP; no SMT, no FE just its own thing. It would make things much less disappointing for me.

Yeaaaah had to edit that out. Looked stupid with the rest of my reply, lol.

First of all, that shirtless Roy drawing. Hnnnngh. Isn't he fifteen though? I hope he isn't. He looks older than fifteen in Smash 4. Second, I don't know how the heck people do drawings like that in Miiverse. I can only do head shots because that's all I have room for. Maybe I need to learn how to get creative with composition or something. Unfortunately, there aren't very many good tutorials on drawing in Miiverse, so I have to learn everything from scratch. Perhaps I could show you some of my Miiverse drawings for funsies.

The thing about #FE is that the concept is actually pretty cool, I just don't like how they represented FE in there. I'm not into Shadow Dragon, and I feel that Awakening is being hyped too much. I like Awakening, but I want the other countries to be represented in #FE. Honestly, I would've been less disappointed with #FE if it were either its own franchise, or if it had better FE representation.

I don't think Roy aged in 4, rather he was finally portrayed correctly. He is short, but not shorter than Marth, which is why his height caught some off guard on his return. He always had wavy hair and was well-built, which wasn't portrayed correctly in Melee or PM. These being easy to overlook may be why people assume he aged, we just don't have an answer. I like to think of his new look as what a true Master Lord class would be.

I do feel Eliwood and Hector are about as viable as each other, and they're both beasts. Eliwood has rougher starting levels but catches up quickly, his other strengths even it out. I'd rank Lyndis below them. Hector's just more novice friendly than the other two lords, and you did say that you're not into FE for gameplay and you've only played bits of the games, so claiming that is understandable. I also feel like being surrounded by that kind of bias is influencing it, too. My opinion was Hector > Eliwood for quite a while around 2010, also around the time I was on GameFAQ's forums where things were similar to where you are now, then it shifted to Hector = Eliwood once I stopped making rookie mistakes every turn and used every unit to their fullest. This is removing my obvious username bias. Once I did more laid-back playthroughs, as well as more serious LTC's, draft runs, and challenge runs throughout the series away from people, this became obvious. Back when I only played 2 Fire Emblems and wasn't that good at most RPG's and any opportunity to use the boards on GameFAQ's at the library got me hyped, I did have these kinds of opinions. I still spoke up rarely, though, once I became a slightly more experienced player, and then poofed entirely. I feel like forums now and places of decline are filled with players that are in my old, old incredibly scrubby shoes. I wanna buy new shoes for everyone.

I have tried giving places like r/fireemblem more chances and being more open-minded, I'm just more disappointed and sad every time I give them a chance.

People claim that some lords are mediocre or the worst lords in the series when they're far from the experience to speak on lords that aren't that much below great, there's too many who rely on novice-friendly lords which drop in usefulness with more experience/skill that let them make more mistakes, and then crap on lords that require more efficicent and smart use. I'm not saying all lords are excellent with smart use, just that some require good resource management and positioning that benefits them more than it does for others to bring them up to par. If any lord from the GBA games is mediocre, it's Lyndis.

Ephraim > Eirika, definitely. TSS is so easy, none of the enemies are really strong or noteworthy, and the lords have unbelievably high growth totals, so I don't think Eirika's bad or mediocre. Ephraim's just more noteworthy. Eirika would be mediocre in a different setting, though.

Eliwood is too good overall to be mediocre, Roy and Eirika don't stand out as much as really up-there lords but they're definitely not near mediocre and they shine pretty hard with their promotions and legendary weapons.

The only mediocre lords in my book are Celica, Lyndis, Micaiah, Sothe, and Lucina. The first four are underwhelming and glassy, Lucina comes in halfway through the game at Lv10 unpromoted when there's many braindead ways to break anything from Nor/Cas to L+/Cla much earlier without the tools to keep up with higher difficulties at all, unless you spend hours grinding which are hours that could have cheesed through and finished the game, and grinding a unit a bunch of levels between chapters (which lets anyone in Awakening break the game) isn't a good argument for efficiency. I wish I.S knew how to balance female lords, but I'll probably never see it.

I'd rank Hector and Eliwood as high-tier lords, Ephraim as upper-mid, and Eirika and Roy as mid.

Alm, Sigurd, and Ike above them all, but only those three. I don't think Hector and Ephraim are anywhere near as noteworthy as those three like some make them out to be, but they're good.

I would admit certain lords I like are mediocre if they actually were. I just don't see how they could be mediocre and I have a difficult and irritating time processing certain bandwagons if things just don't line up. I do like some of the truly mediocre lords, though, and I can admit Lyndis and Micaiah are mediocre despite liking them a lot. They still have some niche use. I used to really sugarcoat lords I like, but going the honest route, I really don't need to, and agree to disagree is the worst case scenario which isn't bad. I don't mean any of this discussion personally and I'm fine going with the agree to disagree route if I need to, I don't want to make it seem like an

Sry for rambling this much, didn't think I would, good lords. The ball got rolling and FE poured out of my head. I'm still thinking of what to do on my dillema, I don't think I'll make any big decisions right away since that never goes well.

View attachment 76928

Oh how salty I am about Nils, he seems so chill and I really want to use him but... he's a bard... I hate using bards...
Just making sure, there's no way he can fight, right? If there is then I'll totally do that and use him, unless it's like the enemy control glitch in fe8, I don't really like abusing glitches that way. Well at least his sister looks chill, and I have a good feeling that she'll use magic, or at least have some form of attacking. Also Eliwood! I can tell already that I'm gonna love Eliwood

edit:
RIP: my hopes and dreams of not having 2 of my least favourite class in one fe game
Nils can't retaliate, but he's required for the final chapter and makes it less of a pain, so it's worth having him be Lv20. He gets really dodgy later. His future stat boost rings are neat, too.

I really like his character, he's underrated in design and doesn't get enough love.

OR/AS is definitely a step down from both Emerald as a Hoenn game and HG/SS as a remake. Play Emerald if you're craving for Hoenn, BW2 for GOAT sprite animations, or HG/SS if you want a remake done right.
I'd only recommend OR/AS if you really like Zinnia, want to use a Lati at midgame, want to use the primal forms badly, want the Delta Episode, want R/S with updated mechanics badly, or if you want in on that hot VGC action.

Otherwise, I recommend Banner Saga.

Why isn't this a side event at tourneys

Oh heck yes

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

Does anyone know if Ryu was still in hitstun before the dair connected?
I've never seen it be a true combo, even as clean as this one was I'm gonna doubt it
it is pretty much fatal though, Roy's sweet spot dair is comparable to Ganon's Dair
Otherwise, I recommend Banner Saga.
can't tell if you're making fun of me or you actually played the game
right the first one, got it

I've never seen it be a true combo, even as clean as this one was I'm gonna doubt it
it is pretty much fatal though, Roy's sweet spot dair is comparable to Ganon's Dair

can't tell if you're making fun of me or you actually played the game
right the first one, got it
Making fun of you, but I'm really excited for when I do finally get to play it.

A buddy showed me the trailer and I've been eyeing it every now and then since. Thank you for reminding me of it again cause I forgot about it and now I'm looking into the soonest opportunity to play it.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Making fun of you, but I'm really excited for when I do finally get to play it.

A buddy showed me the trailer and I've been eyeing it every now and then since. Thank you for reminding me of it again cause I forgot about it and now I'm looking into the soonest opportunity to play it.
It honestly is like my replacement for new FE games at the time being

Top Bottom