• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy FAQ v1.01 *PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING* *UPDATED 7/31/06*

stewie91

Smash Apprentice
foxandfalco said:
it was an unrecorded friendly...who would want to record a pichu friendly match...,how many of those have u seen recorded by pro players? i dont even think youtube was a website at the time, i found out about it aboiut a year ago and it could of even happened later than that. anyways, why not ask azen or dave himself? or pc chris or mew2king or zanguzen if it happened, that is, if u dont believe it did.

seriously, why do u we need vids wen we can just ask the players themselves. doesnt anyone realize how many matches arent recorded? plus, azen is a low tier god...dave isnt that good anymore....yea....

then again, it doesnt matter if you dont believe me or not. who are you?
I do believe you. I said that I would love to see that because I think that would be pretty cool. I think you're misinterpeting what I said lol

stewie91

Smash Apprentice
ZMan said:
Maybe the dude who posted the Marth v Roy data on GFaqs might have been pal. >_>
Maybe, but sometimes I get 10% when using Dtilt and Ftilt, sometimes 12%. I also got different scores for other attacks too. The thing is, when I was recording the infor for both Roy and Marth, I used each attack at least 5 times to find out when it was strongest. I'm guessing the guy tried it the first time and gt 10% so decided that was at the strongest.

stewie91

Smash Apprentice
Keep trying until you get the same or similiar results to mine. Try different things; such as hitting he enemy with the center as they are falling, or some other things. If possible, try to find a correct MAX for DED/DB for Roy and Marth because I just used their Meteor Smash combos followed by down for the last hit. I also had some fun doing this. I had Roy training against my brother as Marth, and I was screwing around pretending to be my secondary (Falco) and jumped out there to spike him and actually landed it. He went flying straight down. Though Roy's spike sucks compared to Marth's.

Banned via Administration
lol, stewie you are a n00b. USE AR YOU DUMB ****.

btw, OMG GUYZ NOW DAT DESE STATZ R OOT IM SW1TCH RITE 2 ROYZ HEL YAYAUZ

stewie91

Smash Apprentice
5150 said:
lol, stewie you are a n00b. USE AR YOU DUMB ****.

btw, OMG GUYZ NOW DAT DESE STATZ R OOT IM SW1TCH RITE 2 ROYZ HEL YAYAUZ
Look, I asked you not to flame me. I recorded these and you are entitled to your opinion, but you should test it yourself. And if you read the whole post it still says Marth is better and he might be just as strong if I got DED/DB wrong. And I get the lower % on the attacks MOST of the time but occasionally an attack will do 2% more than it's supposed to. Read it again, it still says Roy ges ***** by Marth, and that Marth is better overall. I'm not a n00b, I don't think Roy is better. You make it sound like I said "OMZG U GUYZ R0Y R0X0RZ MARFS S0X0RZ" and I said nothing of the sort. in fact, I agree with most of the things you have said in this topic, and I think it should be stickied; definatley. Don't take this the wrong way and think I'm trin to prove anything you've said wrong.

Roew

Smash Apprentice
stewie91 said:
Look, I asked you not to flame me. I recorded these and you are entitled to your opinion, but you should test it yourself. And if you read the whole post it still says Marth is better and he might be just as strong if I got DED/DB wrong. And I get the lower % on the attacks MOST of the time but occasionally an attack will do 2% more than it's supposed to. Read it again, it still says Roy ges ***** by Marth, and that Marth is better overall. I'm not a n00b, I don't think Roy is better. You make it sound like I said "OMZG U GUYZ R0Y R0X0RZ MARFS S0X0RZ" and I said nothing of the sort. in fact, I agree with most of the things you have said in this topic, and I think it should be stickied; definatley. Don't take this the wrong way and think I'm trin to prove anything you've said wrong.
I've also noticed this whenever I was playing roy myself. There's one move that I noticed in the marth roy comparison and it's ftilt with their sweet spots. Like, consistently, I don't know if I'm doing roy's sweetspot hitting wrong or what but I see that marth has slightly more knockback on his ftilt than roy does sweetspot wise. Check it out in training mode and you'll see what I mean. The same can also be said about their fsmashes, which marth clearly dominates due to recovery time alone as everyone knows. That tipper of his is just completely monstrous.

I will be gauging percentages on their DED attacks and whenever I get some accurate numbers, I'll present them to you stewie.

>>>> with marth on DED does 27% dmg total
>>>> with roy on DED does.. well I couldn't get this to combo due to the excessive knockback of the third hit but I'm assuming if it were possible, it'd be around 28-29%

If you want anymore percentages for their DED combos, I'd be happy to test it out and post it.

stewie91

Smash Apprentice
Roew said:
I've also noticed this whenever I was playing roy myself. There's one move that I noticed in the marth roy comparison and it's ftilt with their sweet spots. Like, consistently, I don't know if I'm doing roy's sweetspot hitting wrong or what but I see that marth has slightly more knockback on his ftilt than roy does sweetspot wise. Check it out in training mode and you'll see what I mean. The same can also be said about their fsmashes, which marth clearly dominates due to recovery time alone as everyone knows. That tipper of his is just completely monstrous.

I will be gauging percentages on their DED attacks and whenever I get some accurate numbers, I'll present them to you stewie.

>>>> with marth on DED does 27% dmg total
>>>> with roy on DED does.. well I couldn't get this to combo due to the excessive knockback of the third hit but I'm assuming if it were possible, it'd be around 28-29%

If you want anymore percentages for their DED combos, I'd be happy to test it out and post it.
Thanks, do that please. Maybe try hiting them with the third hit into a wall of Peaches Castle or something. I'm not at my Gamecube right now but maybe you can test this. Use the >>^v DED and delay the fourth hit for a second. I heard it's rumored to do around 35% damage. Until then I will put what you posted in the thing i made. I guess I should also add that Marth has more knockback at his tip than Roy has at the center though I find Marth's tip harder to hit with.

Gray

Smash Journeyman
Stewie, Roys neuteral A does 5 damage, not 6. And that was with hitting at the center of the blade. And Roy is a bigger n00b magnet than marth IMO.

Roew

Smash Apprentice
stewie91 said:
Thanks, do that please. Maybe try hiting them with the third hit into a wall of Peaches Castle or something. I'm not at my Gamecube right now but maybe you can test this. Use the >>^v DED and delay the fourth hit for a second. I heard it's rumored to do around 35% damage. Until then I will put what you posted in the thing i made. I guess I should also add that Marth has more knockback at his tip than Roy has at the center though I find Marth's tip harder to hit with.
Oh, he definetely has more knockback at the tipper.

Roy does a damage rating of 30% with the >>^\/ DED.

stewie91

Smash Apprentice
Gray said:
Stewie, Roys neuteral A does 5 damage, not 6. And that was with hitting at the center of the blade. And Roy is a bigger n00b magnet than marth IMO.
Read my oter posts, it said I tried each attack MANY times to find when it was strongest and one time I got 6% damage. Most of the time I get 5, sometimes I get 6.

And yeah, I guess n00b magnetism is kinda opinionized.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
The highest damage a move does should be the one taken accounted to, as moves lose power when overused.

Nongothic

Smash Rookie
ZMan said:
Marth is stronger than Roy.
thats only true when your comparing percents for the most part because on some move roy and marth have the same knowck back. I tested some moves from both Roy and Marth on Roy and they had the same knockback

Banned via Administration
Well, I tested roy and marth in ACTUAL GAMEPLAY, you know, what actually matters. And my results (along with everyone else who matters) are in the first post.

Roew

Smash Apprentice
Marth is stronger than roy in terms of knockout power comparisons especially when it's not sweetspotted. Don't even get me started on Marth's aerials and his tipper supremacy, especially on platform stages. The only moves that I feel that are slightly better in some situations than Marths in a Marth/Roy comparison is Roys downsmash due to easier sweetspotting, his DED to an extent, his arching flare blade, his charging b and his counter vs powerful attacks, but you can argue that marths counter is better in sheer utility due to the set knockback and the fact that it comes out faster and stays out longer than roys. I do better using Roy than Marth, but thats mainly because I still can't get past Marth's floatyness and for some reason he seems harder to SH with than any other character for me.

Nongothic, go hit a character at any given percent with Marth's tipper on any move, especially Fsmash and then use Roy's sweet spot on any given percentage then come back and tell me if its the same or not, because if they are the same then I must be on drugs or some ****. I've tested it countless times and it shows that marth has more knockback than roy. Believe me, I love roy as much as the rest of you but I am definetely gonna be real about how that he is completely overshadowed by Marth in virtually every category.

Edited for clarity.

Forgot about the tilts! haha.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
It really doesn't matter if Roy can out-percentage Marth hit by hit.

Marth's hits hurt the most with the greatest possible range. That is what keeps him kicking ***, staying alive, and comboing the **** out of everyone while Roy sucks all over mid-tier.

stewie91

Smash Apprentice
I know this. GOD, did you people even read my whole post?? It says Marth is better than Roy and has more knockback than him as well, Roy just has 1 more move that is stronger in the comparison. 5150, you're making it seem like I said Roy was better. Maybe you should go back and read my post again.

Sgt. Conan

Smash Journeyman
5150 said:
This FAQ is geared towards helping newer, less experienced players learn about roy and his workings without having them post stupid things before learning.

Q: Is Roy a good character?

A: No. Roy sucks.

Q: But I thought that tiers don't exist?

A: No, they do exist, and Roy is where he is on the tiers for a reason.

Q: But aren't mindgames > tiers?

A: No, skill > tiers, but if two players are of equal skill then tiers come into account.

Q: Who is better, Marth or Roy?

A: Marth in all aspects. The only exception is roy's counter and his DED, maybe his flare blade. Also his dsmash is better. If you need stats or whatever then here. But those stats just tell you damage and nothing else and shouldn't be the basis of why marth is better. It's what marth can do and what roy can't. I won't get any more specific than that.

Q: How does roy do against marth?

A: He gets *****.

Q: What combos does roy have, and on who?

A: Roy has CG combos on fox and falco only. Roy has some dtilt > aerial/fsmash combos on fox, falco, and falcon. Roy can do dthrow > fsmash on many characters if they DI poorly. There are other very situational combos as well but for simplicity's sake, that is it.

Q: If I disagree with you, what should I do?

A: Before you post your anger/frustration/fury please contact an experienced smasher and ask them if any of this is wrong. (an experienced smasher is not based on post count, btw, its based on tourney experience outside of their hometown. and as a rule of thumb, they should be older than, say, 13/14.)
I don't agree with half of it and don't think you should have used some of the language you used, but I guess nice way to insult a character everyone likes. I got a question? Why do you hate Roy so much? What has he done to you? Do you get ***** by a good one and start hating him? I mean, all you say is Roy sucks, Roy sucks, don't you have other characters you can bash/better things to do with your life. I bet half or your 1000+ posts were just bashing Roy and Roy players. Honestly who do you play with? Gannondorf? Top tiers only?

My analysis of tiers is this.

If top tiers=better characters.
If lower tiers=worse characters.

Then top tiers=take less skill to use well.
Then lower tiers=take more skill to use well.

Example:

Someone who has played with Roy against a good Marth will lose I'd say 2/3 times if they're both equal skill. Let's say they play this matchup often. Now the Roy player, so used to such a disadvantage, let's say he has an equally skilled Marth. His skill will build around how to fight a Marth, and therefore will use Marth effectively against the other Marth, and in the end, winning.

If this theory is wrong please use a well constructed, well grammar filled post, otherwise you will be flamed. Use facts. Don't post something like. "u ar eh noob, marth is lik 23123412x bettr tahn roy duh boon." Replies like these will surely get you flamed.

Nexis

Smash Apprentice
your right at saying marth takes less skill to use than roy. Thats why he is top tier.

and if we use your theory about you using roy then switching to marth to win is pretty hard. I doubt you can use Roy's disadvantage and try to learn from them to make a better marth.. Thats because you play Marth and Roy differently.. Unless you play them both the same.. which will be stupid.

Sgt. Conan

Smash Journeyman
Nexis said:
your right at saying marth takes less skill to use than roy. Thats why he is top tier.

and if we use your theory about you using roy then switching to marth to win is pretty hard. I doubt you can use Roy's disadvantage and try to learn from them to make a better marth.. Thats because you play Marth and Roy differently.. Unless you play them both the same.. which will be stupid.
Knowing the range of his attacks, his wavedash, how he floats, how to combo him. I play a slightly similar Marth, but not exactly the same, just doesn't work out.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Nexis said:
no, he's top tier because of his advantages, he is the better character. It's harder to win with roy than it is with Marth.
Link is much easier to use than fox, however fox is top tier... explain that. The reason is Fox has a easier time winning just for the fact he is the better character eventhough he isn't very easy to use.
There's a good thread on this:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=77005&highlight=lord

Sgt. Conan

Smash Journeyman
foxandfalco said:
no, he's top tier because of his advantages, he is the better character. It's harder to win with roy than it is with Marth.
Link is much easier to use than fox, however fox is top tier... explain that. The reason is Fox has a easier to winning just for the fact he is the better character.
There's a good thread on this:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=77005&highlight=lord
Fox's upsmash and uair are ridiculous. He has a shine that spikes. How hard is it to upthrow to uair/upsmash? How hard is it to drop of the stage and press vB? Link has to set up his bombs, boomerang, all of his attacks, while working around Fox's ridiculous speed, and combos. Link also has to sweetspot his hookshot on somelevels. I'll admit that SHL and waveshine takes skill, but once you put the 2 hour session to master it, you've pretty much got an 1337 Fox going.

Drosumn

Smash Cadet
Hello.

I'm Drosumn, and I'm a Smashaholic.

I once mained Roy instead of Marth due to Roy's easier to sweetspot, dealing more damage, and his looks. (Marth seems a little homo to me in the looks department)

Very recently, I switched to Marth. I went to Marth originally because my friends HATED counters, and Marth, having the longer counter, seemed to be the only thing to do. So I played with Marth for a couple days as my friends and I smashed it up.

Then, after they had gone, I decided to mess around with some comps. I played as Roy as I was accustomed to doing.

I got ***** by a SINGLE level nine. Say it with me. R-A-P-E-D. I played for a couple more matches and couldn't figure out why my skill with him was so drastically decreased. Then I played with Marth.

I owned. I owned three level nine computers on a team against me. I put two and two together and figured out the reason why I was so good with Marth, who I had formerly shunned for being a pansy, and not with Roy. As such, I created a list.

Marth comapred to Roy - Pros
Higher Jump
Floating jump, meaning more time in the sky to unleash damage upon my foes.
Faster (Oh my GOD the speed.)
Sweetspot. Roy's Sweetspot is easier to hit, but as a result you must get dangerously close to your enemies. Marth's is safer, and hits equally hard as Roy's.
Counter. Sure Roy's might do more damage, but Marth's is much easier to nail. Why counter if you don't succeed?
Aerials. 'Nuff said.

Marth compared to Roy - Cons
Roy does more damage.
His upsmash is more useful.

Thus concluding my list.

Marth - 6
Roy - 2

You do the math. I used to main Roy, and now I realize that Roy is lower on the tier for a reason.

My name is Dro, and I'm a switcher.

Drosumn

Smash Cadet
Oh, hush. You'd get the point of it if you read the rest of it.

In unrelated news, I appreciate the grammar Conan. It's a **** rarity on this board.

NG7

Smash Lord
Sgt. Conan said:
I don't agree with half of it and don't think you should have used some of the language you used, but I guess nice way to insult a character everyone likes.
Which parts don't you agree with?

They are facts not insults.

Edit: That's a d*mn awesom sig Dro!

Drosumn

Smash Cadet
Thanks! ^.^;;

Compliments of... some guy who's name eludes me for the moment.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
Sgt Conan said:
I don't agree with half of it and don't think you should have used some of the language you used, but I guess nice way to insult a character everyone likes. I got a question? Why do you hate Roy so much? What has he done to you? Do you get ***** by a good one and start hating him? I mean, all you say is Roy sucks, Roy sucks, don't you have other characters you can bash/better things to do with your life. I bet half or your 1000+ posts were just bashing Roy and Roy players. Honestly who do you play with? Gannondorf? Top tiers only?

My analysis of tiers is this.

If top tiers=better characters.
If lower tiers=worse characters.

Then top tiers=take less skill to use well.
Then lower tiers=take more skill to use well.

Example:

Someone who has played with Roy against a good Marth will lose I'd say 2/3 times if they're both equal skill. Let's say they play this matchup often. Now the Roy player, so used to such a disadvantage, let's say he has an equally skilled Marth. His skill will build around how to fight a Marth, and therefore will use Marth effectively against the other Marth, and in the end, winning.

If this theory is wrong please use a well constructed, well grammar filled post, otherwise you will be flamed. Use facts. Don't post something like. "u ar eh noob, marth is lik 23123412x bettr tahn roy duh boon." Replies like these will surely get you flamed..
Lol.

Everything that he posted is 100% accurate, and the fact that you don't know or understand it means that you're still very inexperienced. He doesn't hate Roy. I don't hate Roy. Roy's just average, and has very little options when it comes to approaches, and doesn't have much going for him because how he's designed. This topic is just laying it out because new members keep coming in here, saying stupid things based on nothing. I thought so too, originally, but playing the game, and getting experience taught me otherwise. I still main Roy, but I know when not to use him, because I know his limits.

Come back after you get some tourney experience.

Sgt. Conan

Smash Journeyman
Lord Knight said:
Lol.

Everything that he posted is 100% accurate, and the fact that you don't know or understand it means that you're still very inexperienced. He doesn't hate Roy. I don't hate Roy. Roy's just average, and has very little options when it comes to approaches, and doesn't have much going for him because how he's designed. This topic is just laying it out because new members keep coming in here, saying stupid things based on nothing. I thought so too, originally, but playing the game, and getting experience taught me otherwise. I still main Roy, but I know when not to use him, because I know his limits.
I understood everyword he said. Just not polite to say "He gets *****." or "He sucks." every 10 words when you post. People act like I don't know any of these things, sorry I don't have a 400+ post count.
Lord Knight said:
Come back after you get some tourney experience.
Ok.........alright I'm back. Been to tourneys........jerk.

NG7

Smash Lord
It's ok dude. Stop acting like Roy is a real person. He's not going to get insulted hahahaha

Okok fine Roy is indeed a real person and he's my boyfriend.

But could you please tell us. Which part of 5150's post do you not agree with?

Roew

Smash Apprentice
This thread should of ended like 3 pages ago. 5150 gets flamed and deservedly so because he has to be an *** about everything and thinks that because he plays with pros that everything that comes out of his mouth is the law and that's that. Just plain trolls and thats why he got banned. As for the Marth Roy comparison, we all know that marth ***** roy in every category, theres not even any reason to make a topic like this in the first place, I knew this whenever I first started playing smash and I'm sure everybody else should know this by now as well. I love roy as much as everyone does in this roy character thing but however, I'm not biased and will admit that my character is average compared to top tier, thats that.

And on the matter of ease of use with link and fox, I think you could probably agree with me that fox isn't THAT much harder to use than link, considering links plethora of projectile micromanagement, techs just plain knowing when to use his projectiles to give you an advantage, etc..

Sgt. Conan

Smash Journeyman
NG7 said:
It's ok dude. Stop acting like Roy is a real person. He's not going to get insulted hahahaha

Okok fine Roy is indeed a real person and he's my boyfriend.

But could you please tell us. Which part of 5150's post do you not agree with?
The combos section of his post is incomplete, he could hanve linked it to the sticky Roy guide at least. Roy does not get ***** by Marth. Roy CAN win the fight. YES he is at a disadvantage. So I disagree that Marth "*****" Roy.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dq244s9hYs

Neo's Roy picks apart Husbands Marth. The only real mistakes Neo makes are when he jumps off the stage trying to end the bout early, and Husband edgehogs/guards.

So if Marth > Roy.
Then Husband should have easily won. Because Marth ***** Roy right? And Roy sucks right? Wrong. I'll leave anyone conclude what they want. Say Roy sucks and that Marth's not Husbands main and Marth ***** Roy and whatever, there's some good defense for Roy right there.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Neo has much more skill than Husband. I mean, it's not just the characters, but also the players themselves. Azen's Pichu beat Dave's Falco, pichu > falco?...no. Azen is just far better than Dave skill wise.
Mew2king beats a few NJ players with Mew2 (a character he doesn't use despite his name), however, he only beats NJ players who suck (and they've used characters such as Fox). Also, Taj's and Mow's Mew2s beat many playings using characters such as Marth and Fox easily. Would you argee that Mew2 has a good time vs Marth and Fox?

Search Ken vs Neo on youtube. The gap of skill between Ken and Neo is much smaller than the gap between Husband and Neo. Look at the outcome of that match...

Sgt. Conan

Smash Journeyman
foxandfalco said:
Neo has much more skill than Husband. I mean, it's not just the characters, but also the players themselves. Azen's Pichu beat Dave's Falco, pichu > falco?...no. Azen is just far better than Dave skill wise.
Mew2king beats a few NJ players with Mew2 (a character he doesn't use despite his name), however, he only beats NJ players who suck (and they've used characters such as Fox). Also, Taj's and Mow's Mew2s beat many playings using characters such as Marth and Fox easily. Would you argee that Mew2 has a good time vs Marth and Fox?

Search Ken vs Neo on youtube. The gap of skill between Ken and Neo is much smaller than the gap between Husband and Neo. Look at the outcome of that match...
Watched quite a few Neo and Ken videos. Quite epic I must say. But people act like it is seriously impossible for a Roy to beat a Marth, altough it requires a lot of skill, it can be done.

Top Bottom