• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy FAQ v1.01 *PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING* *UPDATED 7/31/06*

Sgt. Conan

Smash Journeyman
foxandfalco said:
And it's cool arguing with people who lack experience, you should join in Dark Ness.
Noooooppeeee, would have to disagree on you there buddy. Just because you've never heard of me doesn't mean I couldn't hold my own, I haven't heard of you, so therefore, I conclude, you suck.
ROY SUCKS!!!!!!!.............FTW!!!!111

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Sgt. Conan said:
Noooooppeeee, would have to disagree on you there buddy. Just because you've never heard of me doesn't mean I couldn't hold my own, I haven't heard of you, so therefore, I conclude, you suck.
....I meant you don't play any experienced players.....so you lack experience.....

I haven't heard of FastLikeTree until FC but I do know he has a ton of experience since he plays good people.

Like that....play someone good Sgt. Conan. You get a F for reading comprehension :(

Dark_Ness

Smash Journeyman
foxandfalco said:
And it's cool arguing with people who lack experience, you should join in Dark Ness.
I'll join in with this trend. It sounds like fun. XD

foxandfalco said:
lolol, I never read this last part. The 3rd sentence is 2 good, I wonder if people get it (like Roew).
Dang straight, man. Dang straight. :p

Banned via Administration
I'm thinking of making a 1.01 version of this FAQ. What will be on it.........A MYSTERY!!!!

I just updated to version 1.01 with massive new content, and probably the best content in the whole FAQ imho.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
5150 said:
*NEW 7/31/06* Q: Who can I trust to give me reliable information in this forum?

A: To answer your question I have to give you two lists.

People who know what they are talking about:

En.Eh.Oh - However, he is sarcastic 99% of the time, so you may get confused.
5150 - Me, lol, I mean, I'm smart enough to make this FAQ, right?
foxandfalco - Knows the game.
LordKnight - A good roy.
Sethlon - A good roy.

People who DON'T know what they are talking about:
RastaImposta - He thinks Husband isn't a pro marth.
Zman - He's 13.
Sgt. Conan - He thinks roy is good.
Icedup414 - He made a tier list of DED that wasn't only wrong, but it was pointless as well.
Zodiac - He thinks roy is good.
Roew - He thinks roy is good.

This list is a work in progress and I can add people with the click of a button and a few punches of keys.
Hey I'm a pretty good Roy >.>

Picitt

Smash Apprentice
5150 said:
People who DON'T know what they are talking about:
RastaImposta - He thinks Husband isn't a pro marth.
Zman - He's 13.
Sgt. Conan - He thinks roy is good.
Icedup414 - He made a tier list of DED that wasn't only wrong, but it was pointless as well.
Zodiac - He thinks roy is good.
Roew - He thinks roy is good.
Sgt. Conan knows what he is talking about. He is prehaps the only person on the Roy forums that tries to have intelligent disscusions about Roy. Also Zman being 13 is irrevlivent because many 20 year olds here act like they are kids so its not about age its about maturity and intelligence.

Also why do you people instist on congragulating 5150 on this "FAQ" when it is merely a dumb way to discourage people from playing Roy who is a decent character but is overshadowed by the power of Marth. If you guys like to bash Roy just leave his section. Is it fun for you to discourage noobs who want to try to play Roy or are you just trying to up your post count. 99% of Roy's forum is spam or flaming, why not stop all of that and let the people who like Roy have our 1%. The only intelligent thing this "FAQ" says is that skills>teir and Marth>Roy in almost everyway. You did mention like two things that Roy has on Marth but you didn't offer any real information for someone who decides to continue to play Roy.

I'll admit that Roy isn't great but he has strenghts that you ignore. He has a fast SHFFL, long range, good grab range and a great combo starter in his D-tilt. He isn't Marth but almost noone in the game is equal to Marth. Just leave his forums alone if you don't like him but don't spam and try to discourage people from playing him. Its fine to remind people that Marth is generally better in most ways but other than that every other form of Marth promoting- Roy bashing is just unneeded.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Picitt said:
Sgt. Conan knows what he is talking about.
No he doesn't, the thinks Roy ***** both Fox and Falco...(which is false).
He lacks experience; how can he know what he's talking about if he doesn't even play good people?
Picitt said:
He is prehaps the only person on the Roy forums that tries to have intelligent disscusions about Roy.
No...you should read LordKnight's posts, just search for his posts.

Look, this FAQ started because of people saying "Roy is a great character, Roy is good on Marth, Roy is underrated, blah blah" not just for the sake that he isn't a good character. It's that most of the people in this forum think he is a great character (you wouldn't know since you joined the boards 2 months ago).

Picitt

Smash Apprentice
foxandfalco said:
No he doesn't, the thinks Roy ***** both Fox and Falco...(which is false).
He lacks experience; how can he know what he's talking about if he doesn't even play good people?

No...you should read LordKnight's posts, just search for his posts.

Look, this FAQ started because of people saying "Roy is a great character, Roy is good on Marth, Roy is underrated, blah blah" not just for the sake that he isn't a good character. It's that most of the people in this forum think he is a great character (you wouldn't know since you joined the boards 2 months ago).
As for Sgt. Conan, he may be a little overzealous in his defence of Roy's viability but that is completly understandable considering the constant attacks on Roy. My apoligizes to Lord Knight for not acknowledging him as a good, intelligent poster. In my defence it is hard to find intelligent posts amist all of the junk.

I may have only joined about 2 months ago but I have been around alost longer and I know that there are many misguided post says "Roy>Marth because Roy is stronger and has fire" but there are much better ways to explain the relitive abilities of the two than Roy sucks and Marth ***** Roy.

Picitt said:
but there are much better ways to explain the relitive abilities of the two than Roy sucks and Marth ***** Roy.
There are, but people here wouldn't understand them and/or wouldn't believe me If i used an alternative method.

stewie91

Smash Apprentice
Picitt said:
Sgt. Conan knows what he is talking about. He is prehaps the only person on the Roy forums that tries to have intelligent disscusions about Roy..
I'm sure there are others, but this forum is dedicated to saying that Marth>Roy. ESPECIALLY this thread. But some people just don't get it and keep trying to promote Roy.

Picitt

Smash Apprentice
stewie91 said:
I'm sure there are others, but this forum is dedicated to saying that Marth>Roy. ESPECIALLY this thread. But some people just don't get it and keep trying to promote Roy.
That is possible the most non-sencical thing I have seen post here at Smash Boards so far. This forums is not dedicated to saying that Marth>Roy at all. It is dedicated to the healthy disscusion of character specific strategies and match-ups as they pretain to Roy. People promoting Roy is fine as long as they acknowledges that he has certain limitations that make Marth a more powerful character in most ways. This forum is suppose to promote the disscusion of Roy's strategies and anyone who does is posting well. (So long that it is valid, non-spam, non-flaming).

Drosumn

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry Picitt, but I must disagree with you.

This thread is indeed about how Marth > Roy. 5150 made the **** thread. He's a roy hater.

I think you're in the wrong forum.

stewie91

Smash Apprentice
Picitt said:
That is possible the most non-sencical thing I have seen post here at Smash Boards so far. This forums is not dedicated to saying that Marth>Roy at all. It is dedicated to the healthy disscusion of character specific strategies and match-ups as they pretain to Roy. People promoting Roy is fine as long as they acknowledges that he has certain limitations that make Marth a more powerful character in most ways. This forum is suppose to promote the disscusion of Roy's strategies and anyone who does is posting well. (So long that it is valid, non-spam, non-flaming).
That's not what I meant. I meant that it is what people are turning it into. It is SUPPOSED to be for talking about Roy alone, but a good percentage of it is being used for saying Marth>Roy. People keep saying Marth>Roy because other people keep saying Roy is good. Promoting Roy isn't a bad thing, but you will never win in an argument saying that Roy is good with a Roy hater/marth lover, unless they didn't know what they were talking about.

Picitt

Smash Apprentice
stewie91 said:
That's not what I meant. I meant that it is what people are turning it into. It is SUPPOSED to be for talking about Roy alone, but a good percentage of it is being used for saying Marth>Roy. People keep saying Marth>Roy because other people keep saying Roy is good. Promoting Roy isn't a bad thing, but you will never win in an argument saying that Roy is good with a Roy hater/marth lover, unless they didn't know what they were talking about.
I am very sorry I snapped at you. I completly agree with you now that I understand what you mean. You must realize that there are a bunch of people in this forums or would have said that and meant it in the way I interpritited it as. Sorry for the confusion.

stewie91 said:
but you will never win in an argument saying that Roy is good with a Roy hater/marth lover,
because you would be arguing against the facts.......also i am not a "roy hater/marth lover"....lol

oneofthedragon

Smash Rookie
There are many reason this FAQ sparks anger in me 1. because i like roy ;) 2. Because in the first post There is little fact, mostly opinion and situational evidence. 3.**In general** Tiers only come into effect when 2 are of COMPLETELY same skills (very rare) and, they are effected, by some part luck. Some moves require exact placement to be useful, some are broad. A move could Ko or get YOU Ko'ed because of 1 step on you or your opponet's part. Few non-pros can comsistenly take the exact steps to make a move **perfect** THAT is where tiers come into effect. When 2 people know their charcter to the exact step for a move, then tiers will decide. How does this relate to roy? Well, when you are playing a pro, usually, marth will beat roy. But when you play a neighboorhood tournament or with a casual sibling /friend, Skill completely decides. Tiers dont trully effect casual, non pro games. Its skill, and blind luck. Roy doe NOT suck, He is not as good as many characters but he is a great pickup-and-play character. He is easy to get good at because his moves hit for more damage (usually) and a lot have more knockback (recovery move for example). Please, whether or not you are right in all aspects or wrong in all, Post statistics and true evidence. NOT " no roy sucks" and "roy gets *****" TY

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
oneofthedragon said:
Its skill, and blind luck. Roy doe NOT suck, He is not as good as many characters but he is a great pickup-and-play character.
You just said it's skill, not the character....how does that make Roy good? You can basically say Pichu doesn't suck too.
oneofthedragon said:
He is easy to get good at because his moves hit for more damage (usually) and a lot have more knockback (recovery move for example).
If he's easy to get good with, why are there barely any good Roy players?
oneofthedragon said:
Please, whether or not you are right in all aspects or wrong in all, Post statistics and true evidence. NOT " no roy sucks" and "roy gets *****" TY
He doesn't need to post statistics...it's a fact that Roy isn't a good character. Like you said "He is not as good as many characters"
True evidence? Everything he said was right.
Oh, and he only said Roy gets ***** by Marth in the first post...and it's true. Marth is a Roy counter.

oneofthedragon

Smash Rookie
foxandfalco said:
You just said it's skill, not the character....how does that make Roy good? You can basically say Pichu doesn't suck too.

If he's easy to get good with, why are there barely any good Roy players?

He doesn't need to post statistics...it's a fact that Roy isn't a good character. Like you said "He is not as good as many characters"
True evidence? Everything he said was right.
Oh, and he only said Roy gets ***** by Marth in the first post...and it's true. Marth is a Roy counter.
Ok then... lets try this... I doubt anyone can say " He sucks" is factual evidence. And Truly, I am sorry if the simple phrase "He gets rapred" is not good enough for me evidence-wise. Sorry. And yes. It is NOT the character most of the time. you take a first time marth player and veteran Roy player, Roy wil win 9/10 times. Why? Skill. And yes roy is easy to get good with not easy to master (master is pro-level tourneys, good is being able to beat the in game challenges easily) And Yes roy is not as good as many characters, You can say the same thing about practicly ANY other character. Also the thing that few people understand here is, Tiers dont truly come into account at lower levels. If marth is a roy counter how can I beat a level 9 computer marth? Well, for one computers have 0 intelligence for training... 2 because they are not skilled. As you progress upwards into higher ranked tournies, Roy WILL get weaker, but, truth be told, many of ou will never play in a top level tournament. Most of us MAY participate on lower level tournaments. And there roy does great. Roy is probably not meant for the highest level tournaments. Maybe he takes more work to master thats why there are no pros, this is all speculation though. Oh and one last thing. I've taken a few debate classes, and one of the most important things I've learned is "If you do not present fact, your opponet will. And when they do, no matter how many people agree with the you, you WILL lose!" Ok that about sums it up... HAVE A NICE DAY :psycho: !

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
oneofthedragon said:
And yes roy is easy to get good with not easy to master (master is pro-level tourneys, good is being able to beat the in game challenges easily)
I stopped reading after that. The purpose of Smashboards is to help players learn about the full potential of the characters in this game aka helping them "master" them...taking a game to a new level rather than simply dealing with single player "challenges". When we (the smashboards community) say "good", we mean those who do well against other players who play at a competitive level, not if they can beat Master Hand or All Star Mode on very hard. People on Smashboards are trying to takeSmashboards isn't really about the in game challenges, however, I'm not surpised someone with only 4 posts doesn't realize that.
You're on the wrong forum site sir.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
I think this FAq could use some of m2ks stat stuff for the sake of having factual info according to omni and then be stickied

Top Bottom