• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy FAQ v1.01 *PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING* *UPDATED 7/31/06*

Banned via Administration
This FAQ is geared towards helping newer, less experienced players learn about roy and his workings without having them post stupid things before learning.

Q: Is Roy a good character?

A: No. Roy sucks.

Q: But I thought that tiers don't exist?

A: No, they do exist, and Roy is where he is on the tiers for a reason.

Q: But aren't mindgames > tiers?

A: No, skill > tiers, but if two players are of equal skill then tiers come into account.

Q: Who is better, Marth or Roy?

A: Marth in all aspects. The only exception is roy's counter and his DED, maybe his flare blade. Also his dsmash is better. If you need stats or whatever then here. But those stats just tell you damage and nothing else and shouldn't be the basis of why marth is better. It's what marth can do and what roy can't. I won't get any more specific than that.

Q: How does roy do against marth?

A: He gets *****.

Q: What combos does roy have, and on who?

A: Roy has CG combos on fox and falco only. Roy has some dtilt > aerial/fsmash combos on fox, falco, and falcon. Roy can do dthrow > fsmash on many characters if they DI poorly. There are other very situational combos as well but for simplicity's sake, that is it.

Q: If I disagree with you, what should I do?

A: Before you post your anger/frustration/fury please contact an experienced smasher and ask them if any of this is wrong. (an experienced smasher is not based on post count, btw, its based on tourney experience outside of their hometown. and as a rule of thumb, they should be older than, say, 13/14.)

*NEW 7/31/06* Q: Who can I trust to give me reliable information in this forum?

A: To answer your question I have to give you two lists.

People who know what they are talking about:

En.Eh.Oh - However, he is sarcastic 99% of the time, so you may get confused.
5150 - Me, lol, I mean, I'm smart enough to make this FAQ, right?
foxandfalco - Knows the game.
LordKnight - A good roy.
Sethlon - A good roy.

People who DON'T know what they are talking about:
RastaImposta - He thinks Husband isn't a pro marth. Also, <RastaImposta> Im 13 and I have my own infiniti q45
Zman - He's 13.
Sgt. Conan - He thinks roy is good.
Icedup414 - He made a tier list of DED that wasn't only wrong, but it was pointless as well.
Zodiac - He thinks roy is good.
Roew - He thinks roy is good.

This list is a work in progress and I can add people with the click of a button and a few punches of keys.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
Roy has more power on his throws and his B moves are stronger. And Roy hs more of a chance to win against a MArth than a Peach. Marth vs. Roy is either 8-2, 7-3, or a 6-4 ratio. And Roy has more combos, you just have to be, creative.

ZMan said:
Roy has more power on his throws and his B moves are stronger. And Roy hs more of a chance to win against a MArth than a Peach. Marth vs. Roy is either 8-2, 7-3, or a 6-4 ratio. And Roy has more combos, you just have to be, creative.
This is exactly why I made this FAQ. So we don't get any more posts like this.
Lord Knight said:
Brilliant. Sticky plz.

Roy's DED is better than DB, his Dsmash is better than Marth's, and so is his usmash. Everything else (besides Counter), Marth's better.
The dsmash part is arguable, since Marth's recovers faster, even though roy's is stronger. So you could possibly argue that marth's dsmash is more useful because it is less likely of being punished. As for the usmash, both of them suck so I'm not gonna bother putting that in.

Miso

Smash Cadet
Roy may have more combos, but marths are more effective because his tips are much easier to hit than roy's sweet spot

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
ZMan said:
And Roy has more combos, you just have to be, creative.
wtf...he cant even combo in the air. also, he has trouble combing some characters unlike marth who can combo anyone.

oh, and 5150

you just made the best thread the roy forum has ever seen. (pm omnigamer's profile to sticky it)

foxandfalco said:
wtf...he cant even combo in the air. also, he has trouble combing some characters unlike marth who can combo anyone.

oh, and 5150

you just made the best thread the roy forum has ever seen. (pm omnigamer's profile to sticky it)
I pm'd him on the hub. He said although he likes it, he can't sticky it because well.......here i'll quote him.....

<Omnigamer> as much as I'd like to help you fight off the newbs
<Omnigamer> I don't think I can sticky that unless it actually had some actual factual gameplay info

Miso

Smash Cadet
ya, Roy's air game is pitiful, many of his aerials are extremely weak and offer no knockback or anything

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
Marth and Roy

Wavedash length: Marth’s is longer
Running speed: Marth is faster
Taunt length: Not sure, but I think Marth’s is faster?
Marth’s sweetspot is at the very tip of his sword
Roy’s sweetspot is at the center of his sword.
Marth is stronger than Roy.
Marth is heavier than Roy.
Marth’s ground A attack comes out faster continuously than Roy’s.
Roy’s special attacks are stronger.
Roy’s throws are stronger, but Marth can chain throw better
Roy falls faster than Marth.
Roy’s up B is slower than Marth’s and has multiple hits.
Marth’s dair is a spike (not a meteor smash)
Roy’s dtilt sends the opponent up, while Marth’s sends the opponent downwards.
Roy’s Usmash has multiple hits and can “spike” if you hit with the tip of his sword.

Credit to Wavedasher75

A moves
--------
Neutral A
Marth: 6%
Roy: 5%

Tilt Forward
Marth: 13%
Roy: 10%

Tilt Up
Marth: 12%
Roy: 8%

Tilt Down
Marth: 10%

Neutral Air
Roy: 11%

Forward Air
Roy: 8%

Back Air
Roy: 9%

Up Air
Roy: 6%

Down Air

Smash Forward
Marth: 20% uncharged, 27% charged
Roy: 20% uncharged, 27% charged

Smash Up
Marth: 18% uncharged, 24% charged
Roy: 16% uncharged, 22% charged

Smash Down
Marth: 16% uncharged, 21% charged
Roy: 21% uncharged, 28% charged

Who has stronger A moves?
Marth:
Roy: 1

B moves
--------
Neutral B
Marth: 7% uncharged, 28% charged
Roy: 6% uncharged, 50% charged

Forward B*
Marth: 4% 5% 10% 14%
Roy: 5% 6% 9% 11%

Up B
Roy: 13%

Down B
Marth: 7%
Roy: 1.5x attack countered

Who has stronger B moves?
Marth: 1
Roy: 2

Throws
-------
Forward Throw
Marth: 4%

Back Throw

Up Throw

Down Throw
Marth: 5%
Roy: 6%

Grab Attack
Marth: 3%
Roy: 3%

Who has stronger throws?
Marth: 0
Roy: 4

Who has stronger moves overall?
Marth: 10
Roy: 7

This should be in the FAQ as well, todo a side by side comparason to Marth and Roy.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
5150 said:
<Omnigamer> as much as I'd like to help you fight off the newbs
<Omnigamer> I don't think I can sticky that unless it actually had some actual factual gameplay info
:( that's odd. I mean, there's a thread in the Luigi forum stickied JUST to tell noobs his forward b is random.

edit: maybe you can add stuff in it like the info zman just posted to give more depth in your points

???

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
5150 said:
The dsmash part is arguable, since Marth's recovers faster, even though roy's is stronger. So you could possibly argue that marth's dsmash is more useful because it is less likely of being punished. As for the usmash, both of them suck so I'm not gonna bother putting that in.
Marth's has no practical application, while Roy's can kill floaties well. Good startup on both, but Marth has less wind-down lag. *shrugz*

Lord Knight said:
Marth's has no practical application, while Roy's can kill floaties well. Good startup on both, but Marth has less wind-down lag. *shrugz*
That's true I guess. For some reason I remember seeing some vid of some marth using dsmash on a peach. Must be having halucinations, lol. I'll change it.

And as for factual crap like zman posted. It isn't needed. You can throw around all the stats you want, but that isn't necessary. People STILL will think that roy is equal to marth or even better. They'll just skew the stats in their favor (i know you dont think its possible for someone to try and do that, but they will). You just have to tell them. But if omni wants more stat stuff then i'll link zman's post i guess.

Gray

Smash Journeyman
But comboes are 2 or more moves strung together! You said roy has comboes, and you named only one move.
ZMan said:
Better than nothing.
Wow. Do you have such a lack of confidence that you feel luck just to hit him? LOL.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Such a true thread, pity it can't just be stickied like that though.

Gray said:
Wow. Do you have such a lack of confidence that you feel luck just to hit him? LOL.
Ooooh, burn... but still I do agree with this thread.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
5150, I will always disagree with you about mindgames vs tier. It is obvious mindgames>tier, the better mindgames you have, the more likely you are to win with lower tier characters. Chu claims he can beat any peach with his young link. Why? Because he is fvcking crazy, and he his mindgames are so advanced, he probably could do it easily. Arash beat a fox 2 times in a row in a tourny match, from what I see you say all the time, that couldnt happen because tiers>mindgames. And the real reason everybody wins with shei......

But to get back on subject, yes roy sucks, does he get ***** by every character? No, only about 10 of them, and I wouldnt consider marth ****** roy. As long as roy can stay on the ground, he fairs a pretty good chance.
Zman, Roy does not have as many combos as you think, it is easy to do combo's to level 9 comps, humans react differently. The only combo I can do that is effective agaisnt is a marth is first 2hits of DED, dtilt to shffl'ed nair. The best thing roy can do is get them to the edge, or if your fighting jigglypuff, reverse upb, other than that he does suck. If you still want to argue about how much he sucks, then you need to goto MLG, or FC6 as 5150 will say, and just play roy. Yah, lets see how good you do agaisnt a shl falco, your not marth, cant chaingrab him up to 60 damage then tip him to death. If you do happen to go to MLG, find Ken or Chu and pay them the $20 they ask for an hour of smash practice, it will be worth it. Usually, characters have a couple moves that make them decent in tournys, hopefully somebody will figure that out for Roy.

NG7

Smash Lord
I dunno marth's downsmash is quite strong if tipped. I remember it kills peach at 80% on FD.

But yea, Roy sucks ALOT.

RastaImposta said:
5150, I will always disagree with you about mindgames vs tier. It is obvious mindgames>tier, the better mindgames you have, the more likely you are to win with lower tier characters. Chu claims he can beat any peach with his young link. Why? Because he is fvcking crazy, and he his mindgames are so advanced, he probably could do it easily. Arash beat a fox 2 times in a row in a tourny match, from what I see you say all the time, that couldnt happen because tiers>mindgames. And the real reason everybody wins with shei......
No. Those players win because they are phenomenol players, and like i said skill > tiers. (and btw, some say ylink counters peach).

As long as roy can stay on the ground, he fairs a pretty good chance.
That's SO ********.
The only combo I can do that is effective agaisnt is a marth is first 2hits of DED, dtilt to shffl'ed nair.
LOLOLOL that's not even a combo.

Rasta I would like to money match you at fc6.

Gray

Smash Journeyman
ZMan said:
That was only combo that I could pull off in a real match. Other I'm not going to realese until I try them in a real match/
Are talking about multiple shffled fairs or something? Because I think ROy falls to fast to do that. Either way that is not a combo. Good day sir.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Stop trying to get me to goto FC6, if you want to pick me up or pay for my plane ticket, fine, I dont have a problem with that. What I do have a problem is when I asked you to goto you MLG Dallas so we could play you just said "LOLOLZers, Im not going to MLG Dallas", so **** you, you had your chance.
Also, I have no idea how you play Roy, ****ty probably, but he does stand a good chance against marth if he is on the ground. Spamming DED, dtilt, and grabs are just about the only way to beat a marth. As for the combo, I guess we differ on the definition of combos.

For the record, I too would like to money match you, you talk alot of ****, Ive always wondered if you could back it. I doubt it.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
RastaImposta said:
Also, I have no idea how you play Roy, ****ty probably, but he does stand a good chance against marth if he is on the ground. Spamming DED, dtilt, and grabs are just about the only way to beat a marth.
ive speaking with some people before about this...
ken says marth ***** roy, ken is the best marth and has a pretty good roy.
neo says marth ***** roy, neo has one of the best marths and the best roy.
husband, mew2king, chillin, km, queendvs and everyone who knows how to play marth knows that he ***** roy.

-how does spaming DED help beat marth? marth can outrange it. overall, roy cant really touch marth, marth's tip completely outranges and out priotizes roy's moves.
-dtilt...doesnt even lead to a combo on marth. do you know what a DI is? it's something computers you play dont do.
-grabs....unlike marth's, roy cant combo from grabs on floatly characters. marth can up throw, repeative f-air combo roy to hell or juggle up with u-tilt...then f-air combo him to hell.

and yea, do just refute this with 5150 or I, refute this with the best marth (ken), best roy (neo), or any others i mentioned since they share the same opinion as us.

remember, Ken did **** Neo's roy Marth vs Roy. come on, best marth vs best roy...
can you find a vid of a pro marth losing to a pro roy?

next time, have some experience in whatever point your trying to make. fighting computers doesnt mean anything. go to a tournament with good marth players, win it with roy. also, your to vague.
"roy is good on marth, these 3 moves help roy beat marth and im not going to even explain why."

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
I never said Roy was good against Marth, I just said he doesnt get ***** by marth. I also said said stands a good chance against marth if he is on the ground. In the air, marth will **** roy, which is where most of his game is, but on the ground, Roy does stand a good chance against him. The moves I listed werent combos, just moves you should spam against a Marth.

I never fight computers, atleast not on roy, on Fox and IC I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dq244s9hYs&search=husband roy Pro Marth losing to Pro Roy, so theres that.

Rasta you are so effing stupid its not even funny. I want to money match you to show you that you aren't good or smart. And btw, inviting me to mlg dallas is not the same as me inviting you fc6. fc6 will be the largest tournament ever with smashers from all over the world, let alone the us. if you attended then i could show you some top smashers that will tell you marth ***** roy and that roy is a GARBAGE character. Please get your mom to let you drive out or whatever.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
RastaImposta said:
In the air, marth will **** roy, which is where most of his game is, but on the ground, Roy does stand a good chance against him.
there is something called gravity that keeps a character on the ground....now, marth has moves that help him put roy in the air...like his uptilt and throw. and explain how roy would have a good chance against him on the ground. Neo sure was jumping alot in that vid...speaking of that vid..

RastaImposta said:
NEO> husband skill wise, he is the best roy, isnt he?....why wont you ask neo about his matches VS ken's marth? i mean, best marth vs best roy should make sense.... so back to that vid, neo is too smart, did u notice how neo walked away and forward smashed husband right in the face wen he ran at him...yea, he's smart, that was nothing but mindgames, he didnt even need to be roy.
im pretty sure caveman's young link or mofo's ness would **** everyone who posted in this thread....but ness and young link are low tier...hhmmm. it's skill and nothing more. DA dave lost to Azen Pichu vs Falco...isnt azen one ot the top ranked? and dave is...well, just plan isnt...lol
oh, and yea...Neo says it himself...

[00:19]<NEO>wtf
[00:19]<NEO>roy gets ***** by marth

neo is a better player than husband, neo would 4 or 5 stock him if it was marth vs marth.
so anyways, yea, dont forget what happened to ken (marth) vs neo (roy)...

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Well I gave you a Pro Marth losing to a Pro Roy, I gave you what you asked for. Can you direct me to some links to see the Ken V Neo as marth and roy. I have some vids of them, but they dont go at it as Marth V Roy. Oh, and he sure did use his dtilt and ded alot, but yes, Neo is a top player and obviously and easily beats Marth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-rI1I47olU&search=ken marth
Thats the only video Ive found against NEO v Ken, ya, he got beat, badly. Notice how he grabbed alot in the beginning and used DED alot more than against husband.

5150, I can drive, but thanks for tryin to help me out. If you wanna give me $100 for gas there and back, thatd be cool, but I doubt that will happen. Trust me, Id love to play you, you can even be marth and Id be roy. For the record, OC2 probably is going to be bigger than FC6, and theres a better chance that Id be going to OC2.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
ZMan said:
But NEO has beaten Ken with Roy. Don't forget that.
has...but not the majority of the time...wonder why...
wen i asked for a pro marth vs a pro roy, i wanted two players at a close level.

like i said, here's two pro people dave and azen:
DA dave lost to Azen Pichu vs Falco...
it's about skill, skill, skill, skill, not the character!!!!!!!!!
SKILL, NOT CHARACTER, will you say Pichu>>> Falco???
yea...anyways...
neo is a better player than husband, neo would 4 or 5 stock him if it was marth vs marth.
yea...and
RastaImposta said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-rI1I47olU&search=ken marth
Thats the only video Ive found against NEO v Ken, ya, he got beat, badly. Notice how he grabbed alot in the beginning and used DED alot more than against husband.
notice by asking NEO HIMSELF, the match vs Ken is more recent....and he'd say that marth ***** roy...take it from the best roy player man...
husband falls pray to those things because he's stupid cpmpared to than Ken. Neo wanted to play smarter and safer vs ken since...ken is the best marth....however marth ***** roy unless the roy player is more skillful (like a 5 year old using marth vs your Roy rastaimposta).
ask any pro player...please, um, get DC++

Nexis

Smash Apprentice
boys and gals

people roy only for one reason

and thats for the sexy

oh and is fun to use.

sure he is a FUN character to use, but not a GOOD character.

Top Bottom