• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rotation, Rotation: The Circle of Smash

Kittah4

Smash Ace
People, people. You're not obligated to praise or love this update. The amount of people that I've already seen that won't use it is large, but, perplexingly, some of these are praising the update. Why?

Imagine normal Brawl mode. All your people are using gamecube controllers or classics, and you all have names and controler configs set up. One, Two, Thre, and Four Play, and then Thre loses and has to give up his controller to Five. Five simply takes it up and picks his name to enact his controller scheme, then picks his character.

That was not hard, nor was it time consuming. Why do we have to have a micromanagement mode like this? It insults our intelligence. Oh, and the most hilarious part: you have to tell it when you're going to the bathroom, or whatever, isntead of just going and not having to worry about it. The other players don't have to press anything and continue playing.

Come on, really. Did you think skewing the Melee screen was a "nice feature though I'll personally never use it?" This is a pointless mode that assumes that everyone playing Smash with more than four people are mindless fools.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Waaaaaaah. I don't like this update. Waaaaaaah. People have been able to do this for ages, we don't need anything to make it easier or more convenient. Waaah.

I love when people complain about extra features that make things easier. Seriously guys, it'll be super convenient not having to change control settings every time a person swaps out. And what the hell is the harm of having this feature?

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
Sakuri's humor is what made this updage bareable. It's good for completeness sake, but I wont be using it for that.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Waaaaaaah. I don't like this update. Waaaaaaah. People have been able to do this for ages, we don't need anything to make it easier or more convenient. Waaah.

I love when people complain about extra features that make things easier. Seriously guys, it'll be super convenient not having to change control settings every time a person swaps out. And what the hell is the harm of having this feature?
No, its not "super convenient", it saves you maybe one or two button presses. "Super convenient" would be the feature that tracks all of your stats, because doing something like that yourself is a logistical nightmare. But all this does is save you maybe 5 seconds each for each round. For an entire mode. It probably will take more time to set up than the time you waste by NOT using the mode.

Thus, the harm: It's a waste of disc space that would have probably been better going to a sticker or 20.

Using the "crybaby" taun when there are legitimate logical complaints against something, not merely opinion, is very childish.

I'm not merely saying this update is bad, which it is, probably in the bottom 10 of my opinion. However, the entire mode is bad; super extraneous.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
You don't need a mode that says winner stays in everyone else leaves, you really don't. Why the winner staying in you may ask? Because not only is he the better player but when people play him they get better. Winner out is one of the most illogical things I've ever heard.
Maybe you're always super competitive, but other people are playing just to have fun and that's what it's for.

Winner out means that the less skilled players will get to play more often and more often against each other. Winner stays means that in a group with a large range of skill, one or two people will establish themselves as the best and stay in every single round. That gives the less skilled less time playing as well as making their time playing less enjoyable since they'll get beaten every time.

And I think that people will not necessarily get better if they do what you say - a beginner often doesn't learn from playing a skilled pro, but instead just loses badly every time and then get discouraged. And just getting more play time in might be better for a lot of people.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This feature will be handy with Brawl parties. I was excited cause I know I will use this feature when I have my Brawl party. I already have 10 people coming haha.

Rash

Smash Ace
You don't need a mode that says winner stays in everyone else leaves, you really don't. Why the winner staying in you may ask? Because not only is he the better player but when people play him they get better. Winner out is one of the most illogical things I've ever heard.
Yeah, well, if you do one you might as well do the other. Why not cover all the bases?

As far as my take on the update goes, I'd say that Brawl is using and/or improving many features already established in Melee. That's one of the biggest things people are missing about this update. It's not new, it's just improved a little. What did you think, Sakurai was just going to remove the feature from the game? Sakurai's not removing features, he's adding them. Period. And with that, he's trying to give the players as many options as possible.

Anyone complaining about the inclusion of rotation in Brawl is pretty much saying that it's okay to remove features. So, does that open the door for Sakurai to remove other stuff that people may have potentially enjoyed about previous Smash games? Hmmm? Does removing one feature encourage the removal of others?

The point is, sometimes it's better just to keep your mouth shut.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
No, its not "super convenient", it saves you maybe one or two button presses. "Super convenient" would be the feature that tracks all of your stats, because doing something like that yourself is a logistical nightmare. But all this does is save you maybe 5 seconds each for each round. For an entire mode. It probably will take more time to set up than the time you waste by NOT using the mode.

Thus, the harm: It's a waste of disc space that would have probably been better going to a sticker or 20.

Using the "crybaby" taun when there are legitimate logical complaints against something, not merely opinion, is very childish.

I'm not merely saying this update is bad, which it is, probably in the bottom 10 of my opinion. However, the entire mode is bad; super extraneous.
Its a logical step from allowing people to save controller schemes. Sure it doesnt have a ton of time, but it does make things more convenient. Trust me, you would be complaining about it if this feature didnt exist and *every* time you rotated in you had to go locate your name in the list again so your settings were there. Especially if that list starts getting long. Theres really no reason not to have something to makes things a bit more convenient for everyone.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Its a logical step from allowing people to save controller schemes. Sure it doesnt have a ton of time, but it does make things more convenient. Trust me, you would be complaining about it if this feature didnt exist and *every* time you rotated in you had to go locate your name in the list again so your settings were there. Especially if that list starts getting long. Theres really no reason not to have something to makes things a bit more convenient for everyone.
The key words here being "a bit". Picking names isn't too bad, really its not. I don't recall anyone griping about it in Melee, as you suggest we would if it wasn't here now.

This is the sort of mode you WOULDN'T notice if it was gone. If Classic Mode, Event Mode, or Break the Targets was gone? There'd be complaints. But I can't imagine people sitting there wishing: "Gee, I really wish the game would keep track of who has 'dibs' on next, because I'm clearly a selfish loser who can't give up the controller until the game tells me to."

But yeah, having a whole mode, a whole MODE for saving you the time equivalent of finding a quarter in your pocket and dropping it into a machine? Not impressed at all.

SlayerOfEvil

Smash Apprentice
Well it works well for me because often I have over four people who want to play, and yeah, there are people who will not give up the controller. So for this to be organized, it works for me. As for the character choice issue, pfft, only one out of all of us even think about changing characters.

I personally liked this update.

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
this update wasnt so bad...the people i play with use GCN remotes so we will be passing either way......maybe it is waste o space

edit- maybe during 1v1s

Proven

Smash Apprentice
2 cents:

1. This mode is for a party. As in, people running around, not just watching smash type party. If enough is going on (pizza, other games, chatting with people AWAY from the TV), you may forget who's next in line. Well, if you want to be fair, anyway. And if you want the person to sit out a round, because they're not there, just pick up their controller and select 'take a break' yourself. Oh yeah, and I bet most of the smash population didn't know about rotation hidden in tournament mode. This is probably them putting an updated version of a mode that was already there, and placing it where it won't be missed. Still sounds stupid and pointless to you? Well I've done all I can for the idiots and angry fools out there that can't have Smash be exactly as they like it.

2. I will plan on eating a shoe if you can't change your character when it's your turn. I'm saying this because I'm sure you can. This just checks who's profile is next; since you don't choose a character for your profile, they have to go to the character selection screen. The reason why they're not showing the character roster screen? BECAUSE THEY DON'T EVEN WANT YOU TO KNOW THE STARTING ROSTER YET DAMMIT!

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I believe it was a decent update. If I'm at a party at my best friend's house or if it's just a friendly gathering, I'll use this mode if they want to play Brawl. One more thing:

"Rotation!!"-Neji Hyuuga (Naruto Dub)

Just felt like doing that. :)

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Hmmm.....

This update is great and all, especially since I know Sakurai is trying his darndest to make this online/ party thing a success with no errors.

Still, I need a villain character update. And I need it now. . .whether it be a veteran or a newcomer.

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
This is really helpful, now when this happens at party's this can easily be done. This update is really good

Star105

Smash Journeyman
The first thing I said to myself when I saw this update was "Honestly, he really has thought of everything..." I don't think I've ever seen this kind of feature in a party game that only allowed for up to 4 players at a time. This sort of thing actually is a problem with me and my friends gathering in groups of 5 to 8 at times, having to always pass controllers and switch profiles constantly. This is simply magnificent.
Same here

it is really annoying since then people forget about it and we literally have to drag them back

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Me and my pals will us ethis mode a lot! definitely....

when we are not doing 1 on 1... we are mostly playing free for alls, or team battles.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
You assume this from merely one perspective. Most people I've ever played Smash don't care whether they get better or not, what would bother them more would be to sit and watch the same person play round after round because there good enough not to lose.

I can see some negative view on the statment I just made, but I want to clarify again: REAL (As in the ones that don't spent time bashing competitive players) Casuals don't really care all that much about how good someone is or most of the time, improving. It's more enjoying the game as they see fit... which isn't that different from the competitives either. Kinda of what we all do when we play a game like Smash.

Duh, most people in general won't use this but in certain scenerios, but for parties or large groups this is just a way to organize the things. And really I doubt a simplitic mode like this even took much effort to create at all so not really much of a waste of space really...

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I told my friends about this mode today.

They were more excited about this than the Dedede update.

We play smash ALOT and it's easy to lose track of who's next, especially with about 8 people.

This update is win, like it or not.

Try not to be selfish.

Demontree

Smash Journeyman
I guess this is good, but truthfully i have only two friends who can beat me, 1 who can beat me every now and then, and then the others which I can beat like that *snap*. I guess this is a good update so I'm fine.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
This will be fun for Pre-Tourney Free-for-all's or practice matches. I like it. Good update. Just taking a game mode we had and showing everyone we really have it. (because I didn't know this was in Tourney mode in Melee until I read all of the complaints here. Freaky, eh?)

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I told my friends about this mode today.

They were more excited about this than the Dedede update.

We play smash ALOT and it's easy to lose track of who's next, especially with about 8 people.

This update is win, like it or not.

Try not to be selfish.
No need to lie Mr. holier then thou.

Update was weak sauce no matter what planet you live on.

Http

Smash Cadet
It's updates like this that I really don't appreciate too much (along with things such as Widescreen) because it doesn't really apply to me. I can see myself using this feature a grand total of... once. And that's being generous.

Joecool

Smash Journeyman
I agree, I dont have 16 ppl around me, 3 tops that would play with me. But I guess this great for tournements, hopefully online tournys too.

gamer8

Smash Lord
God, I got flamed straight to hell on another forum I go to... dang it's called freedom of speech...

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Neat update. To bad I don't get large gatherings around at my house.

God, I got flamed straight to hell on another forum I go to... dang it's called freedom of speech...
Alright, what if someone kept whining in your ear about something? You just going to let them whine?

Top Bottom