• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Display Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
My roster as of 2/25/2014

Things I'm iffy on:
-Dixie Kong
-Vaati
-Cutting Snake

branden4030

Smash Cadet
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97190399&postcount=7815

So this post was made on (01-15-2014, 02:22 PM) and a few things have checked out since then...

- Lucario is a playable character

- Little mac is a playable character ("He has the look from the Punch-Out!! reboot for the Wii")

- Diddy kong is a playable character

- Diddy kongs bananas have returned

- Waluigi Remains an Assist Trophy

This seems pretty legit so far what do you think?

So this is what the roster would look like:

1. Diddy Kong/ Dixie Kong
2. Lucario
3. King DeDeDe
4. Little Mac
5. Zelda/Shiek
6. Marth
7. Sonic
8. Rosalina & luma
9. Toon Link
10. Peach
11. Luigi
12. Pikmin & Olimar
13. Mario
14. Donkey Kong
15. Villager
16. Mega Man
17. Wii Fit Trainer
18. Link
19. Samus
20. Kirby
21. Fox
22. Pikachu
23. Bowser
24. Pit
25. Ridley
26. Wolf
27. Yoshi
28. Wario
29. Palutena
30. Pokemon trainer
31. Mewtwo
32. Jiggly Puff
33. Meta Knight
34. Lucas
35. Ness
36. Mr. Game & Watch
37. R.O.B.
38. Ice Climbers
39. Snake
40. Pac-Man
41. King K. Rool
42. Ganondorf
43. Chrom
44. Ike
45. (?) Zelda Character

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
When it comes to the new Smash, I only expect the game to have 10 or 11 newcomers. Melee had 25 characters, Brawl had 35, so if the series were to continue on a pattern like that, and we have 5 newcomers revealed already, I would expect the following to appear in Smash Bros. 4:

Ridley: This guy is a fan favorite and is the most requested (sensible) character to be made playable.

Saki: This guy needs to be promoted from Assist Trophy to playable. Sakurai even stated way back during the Brawl days that this guy looks more like a playable fighter than AT.

Chrom: Fire Emblem will almost definitely get a new representative, and Chrom is the most sensible choice. He can easily have a unique moveset and since a stage from Awakening is set to appear in the 3DS version, it would be an injustice NOT to include him.

Vaati: If there should be any newcomer from the Zelda brand to appear in Smash, it's this guy. The Wind Mage is one of the recurring Zelda characters, appearing in most of the handheld games. He would be a nice villain counterpart to Toon Link.

Krystal: Every Smash Bros game has gotten a new Star Fox representative. Melee introduced Falco, and Brawl introduced Wolf. The next in line to be playable has to be Krystal. Not only would it add to the number of female fighters in the game, but she is also one of the most requested characters.

Palutena: If Kid Icarus were to get a rep., it'd be her. A deity added to the roster would make for a unique addition, and we'd also get a staff user, so that could be a cool opportunity for a unique move set.

2/27/2014

This is my roster prediction as of 2/27/2014.

I think characters like Lucas and Snake will be cut. Sakurai already stated that not everyone from Brawl will return, so it isn't that much of a stretch to cut Konami's character and a character who was just a clone. Starfox will most likely get a new representative in the form of Krystal, ho would be locked. I think Red will return with the same moves, but the stamina bar be cut from his gameplay style. I believe Ike will return, but in his Radiant Dawn look instead of his FE8 look. Also joining the roster would be FEA's Chrom, who would be locked. Despite me not really liking it at all, I think ROB is going to return in the new one. Shulk would be added to the roster as Xenoblade was a highly acclaimed game. Also, I believe Wonder Red would make the roster as well, though he would be the newest character in terms of game release date. Both would be locked. Saki would be the other to be promoted from AT to playable fighter, and be locked. Ridley would be Metroid's second rep, and be locked. If Zelda were to get a new fighter, I think Vaati has a better chance than any other character, due to being one of the last recurring Zelda characters other than Impa and Tingle. Lloyd Irving is there if, and ONLY IF, Bandai-Namco gets a character in the game. I believe Lucas would be replaced by a more unique character in the form of Jeff, who would rely on his projectiles as a medium-long range fighter, and be locked.

Last edited by a moderator:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97190399&postcount=7815

So this post was made on (01-15-2014, 02:22 PM) and a few things have checked out since then...

- Lucario is a playable character

- Little mac is a playable character ("He has the look from the Punch-Out!! reboot for the Wii")

- Diddy kong is a playable character

- Diddy kongs bananas have returned

- Waluigi Remains an Assist Trophy

This seems pretty legit so far what do you think?

So this is what the roster would look like:

1. Diddy Kong/ Dixie Kong
2. Lucario
3. King DeDeDe
4. Little Mac
5. Zelda/Shiek
6. Marth
7. Sonic
8. Rosalina & luma
9. Toon Link
10. Peach
11. Luigi
12. Pikmin & Olimar
13. Mario
14. Donkey Kong
15. Villager
16. Mega Man
17. Wii Fit Trainer
18. Link
19. Samus
20. Kirby
21. Fox
22. Pikachu
23. Bowser
24. Pit
25. Ridley
26. Wolf
27. Yoshi
28. Wario
29. Palutena
30. Pokemon trainer
31. Mewtwo
32. Jiggly Puff
33. Meta Knight
34. Lucas
35. Ness
36. Mr. Game & Watch
37. R.O.B.
38. Ice Climbers
39. Snake
40. Pac-Man
41. King K. Rool
42. Ganondorf
43. Chrom
44. Ike
45. (?) Zelda Character
I'd be down with that roster, but I think you're missing Captain Falcon and Falco. Not a criticism, I think it's just an oversight since that "leak" doesn't mention them being cut.

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
Here is a roster based on probability and likelihood of inclusion. It is by no means definitive and is subject to change as new information is revealed.

Note: Randomselect isn't shown here since it is secondary to character selection and can be included in a variety of ways the game designers see fit (Melee's randomselect, for instance). Also, ZSS and Sheik are highly likely to return, but Pokemon Trainer may not be because of space constraints (3 characters in one slot on top of the 45-50 expected characters is perhaps too much to ask from Sakurai this time around, unfortunately...).

Character borders are color-coded based on the set criteria for character inclusion--
  1. BLUE = Confirmed inclusion
  2. RED = Possible inclusion
  3. YELLOW = Likely inclusion
  4. GREEN = Highly likely inclusion

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I don't know how to make one of those pics, so I'll just explain future announcements

Snake, R.O.B., Wolf, Ike, Meta Knight, and Pokemon Trainer are getting cut out.
Consider MegaMan the replacement for Snake
Consider Little Mac the replacement for R.O.B.
Chrom or Lucina will replace Ike
Krystal replaces Wolf
Mewtwo returns (maybe)

Further Newcomers
Dixie Kong
Either Shadow or Tails
Toon Zelda
Paultena
Ridley

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
3DS Roster.png

Here is my roster. It is the best roster ever.

3DS Roster.png

Here is my roster. It is the best roster ever.
3DS Roster.png

Revised Roster Now with reasons...

No Cuts: I feel that every Brawl Veteran has merit to this day. As of now, the main suspects seem to be Ike, a recurring Lord in the Fire Emblem series, which is a rare feet, a popular Brawl Vet, and had a unique moveset, and Snake, who generated a ton of hype for Brawl, had one of, if not the most unique moveset, and showed Nintendo's willingness to put in a gaming icon even with the looming release of MGS4 on the PS3. Given these reasons, I think they are safe. Wolf and Lucas are occasionally brought up, but their franchises loosing reps seems... off...

King K Rool: Dixie Kong's ideal reveal time is over. Boom. The further we go from Tropical Freeze, the more likely K Rool is. Being one of the most hyped character ideas in Smash 4, it seems his huge importance and moveset potential are going his way along with demand.

Ridley: I think Smashboards is the most Pro Ridley place on the internet. We all know Ridley is deserving. He has been argued to death. He is not too big, the Pyrosphere is a dying arguement by the day, and with Little Mac, a hugely popular choice in the west getting in, Ridley seems more likely as he is the ideal Metroid Rep, and Metroid needs another rep

Palutena: #Leak. Ok, I am pretty sure even without the leak, Palutena would be in the game. Uprising was a huge success, and she is popular Worldwide. Sakurai being the developer of both games is a huge help too...

Mewtwo: Shoo In. Revelent, Most requested, 'nuff said.

Robin: Chrom may appear to be the obvious choice, but he can't truly bring that much new to the table on his own. Robin Meanwhile is just as important to Awakening, but offers far more moveset potential. Robin can do anything from swordsplay to lancefare to axefaire to magic. Robin also represents more of the Series, as an Avatar character and as a Tactician, both of which have been reoccurring ideas. Robin also is more visually distinct, compared to Chrom. Also Lucina exists, but she is forced to play third fiddle to these two...

Shulk: Xenoblade was a huge success, Shulk is unique, and popular in Japan. I feel the Monado can offer a completely new style of Gameplay, and that idea might appeal to Sakurai...

Isaac: GBA games are on the Virtual Console, Isaac is unique, and popular in the West. Being able to do far more than swordsplay while having a strong Pre Brawl following helps Isaac Greatly.

Takamaru: Nazo no Murasamajo fits the bill for a revival retro, and Takamaru does have several appealing qualities. He has been in the public eye with Captain Rainbow, SW3, his Famicon Classic pre brawl, and Nintendo Land. Being a siset game to LoZ also helps, akin to KI to Metroid.

Lip: Lip fits several appealing qualities. She has a ton of moveset potential with Lip's Stick and puzzle block attacks, has a nice suprise factor, and Sakurai has issued several references to Panel de Pon over Smash history, even commenting on her Pre Melee...

3/3/2014

Empty Roster.png

This is my large 52 Character Roster, and atm my de facto roster.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Joke Roster
View attachment 9716
Golly fellas, this is my prediction for the new Superb Smatch Bros. It's not perfect, but I feel its fair and with a few unpredictable changes from Sakuray here or there I really nailed it in the butt. Thanks!

March 6, 2014 Roster Prediction
View attachment 9717
Legitimate prediction. No explanations yet.

March 23, 2014
View attachment 10802
Same thing as before but prettier and now with explanations.

April 13, 2014
aaaaaaaaa.png

Cuts
:ike:Ike :lucas:Lucas :pt:Kanto Trainer :snake:Snake. 4 in total.
Ike - Isn't too relevant anymore, besides showing up in Fire Emblem Awakening's DLC "Smash Brethren". Seeing that he isn't much of a clone, he could easily be a fan-favorite DLC Character, but I doubt they put the work into him to be in the main game. There are many more relevant characters to worry about.
Lucas - Is a lot more similar to Ness than Ike is to Marth and not part of the original 12 (Smash64 Roster) Maybe I just have a grudge against him for nearly stealing Ness's spot in Melee and tricking many into thinking he did steal Ness's spot in Brawl, but... well he isn't relevant anymore (like Ike) but relevancy doesn't really seem to effect the Mother or F-Zero series...but I feel relevancy effects Lucas more than Ness as Ness is part of the original 12... I'm repeating myself so...eh.
Kanto Pokemon Trainer - I have a feeling he would have been showed around X and Y's release as Kanto starters were a big part of that game, but October was our first smash character drought, much like March is turning out to be. Guess it's time for a new gen to be represented. Kanto Trainer was a great representative of not just FireRed and LeafGreen which were relevant at the time, but the series in general, as...well...he is the real protagonist. I can easily see him as a DLC character though with pictures on the site fighting Kalos Trainer. APRIL 13 UPDATE: DUHHHH CHARIZARG WOOOOP
Snake - Make room for MegaMan and Pac-Man. He was a great guest character but how long are they willing to do voice acting, animations, and all the other work for a character who supports Playstation more than Nintendo? And all because really, his creator is friends with Sakurai. I think that's great, and Snake is great, his guest appearance was great, but now it's over. The recent interview with Kojima supports Snake's cut but I feel like asking Sakurai to use Snake again this late in the game is kind of inappropriate. Anyway, instead of going into all that, I'll just say Snake has potential as a DLC character.
Newcomers
Rosalina, Little Mac, Villager, Megaman, and Wii Fit Trainer I don't really need to talk about, right? No? Good, great.
Dixie Kong - They made a big deal of her in the new Tropical Freeze making her relevant and boosting popularity. Plus she's a member of the prestigious Forbidden 7, being part of Brawl's code. Another thing, Sakurai has made a big deal about adding girls this time around, which is nice, so...her chances seem pretty good to me!
Tetra - WindWaker HD has made her relevant again and boosted her popularity! She's also a member of the prestigious Forbidden 7, being part of Brawl's code. Also Sakurai has made a big deal about adding girls this time around, which is nice! She shares many aspects with Dixie Kong, yes, but I hope my mind isn't clouded. Her chances are pretty good, right? I worry I've deluded myself because of how awesome it would be to play as a funny, bossy, and badass pirate princess.
Robin (Fire Emblem Awakening Avatar) - With both boy and girl outfits, yeah. Chrom could be a character, but I think we've got enough swordsmen from this series, when it has so much more to offer! Robin can use both melee weapons as well as magic! Therefore an automatically better representative of the series, in my opinion.
Palutena - Umm...to be honest, I guess I just believe the supposed 'leaks'. I haven't seen much of her, and Kid Icarus Uprising, but many here say she definitely deserves a spot. And from what I have seen, she certainly does more than Dark Pit, Hades, Magnus, or Medusa, though Medusa would be pretty cool. Plenty complain there's not enough females or villains, but there are zero female villains! Anyway... Palutena seems probable...I guess.
Shulk - I don't know much about this character either, besides the overwhelming amount of support he's gotten from fans. His game did very well in Japan and after enough begging, other regions got it too, and it sold great there too! With a new game coming soon, adding Shulk would certainly be a major win-win situation, eh? I also see him as Little Mac's equivalent, Little Mac being the big retro western character to get in, and Shulk the much more recent lovable eastern character.
Mewtwo - He was awesome in Melee, part of the Forbidden 7 in Brawl, and made relevant again in Pokemon X & Y, sporting two new Mega-Evolutions and a fight in the after-game. There is even artwork for MegaMewtwo fighting MegaLucario which if you ask me is an obvious hint for Smash Bros. I'd be surprised if Mewtwo didn't strike back.
Kalos Pokemon Trainer - While Lucario and Mewtwo represent the new Mega-Evolutions introduced in Gen 6, and Jigglypuff to represent the new Fairy type, who will represent the actual Gen 6 Pokemon? Every Smash game had a representative for the most recent gen (Pichu, Lucario...) but the dilemma is that there is no Lucario-esque Pokemon in this Gen with its very own movie! Luckily, we have a solution... A new Pokemon Trainer! Featuring Chespin, Braixen, and Greninja! ...erm...yeah, I guess that's it. APRIL 13 UPDATE: DUUURRRGH GRENINJA I WAS 1/3 RIGHT! WOAH MAMA
Mii - Eh...I'm not...the biggest fan of the Mii idea either, but... Why wouldn't Sakurai do this? It's the easy way out! He can just tell people to make a Waluigi or Goku Mii and leave him alone. And potential movesets are painfully easy to imagine. They've been in all sorts of games with all sorts of powers. Handglider Up-Special a la Pilotwings resort, swords and magic and jabs and specials. Easy. I'm not looking forward to it...but it seems pretty probable. Their home stages have already been shown, Pilotwings on the Wii U and the Tomodachi Collection one on the 3DS. Better get used to the idea...
Pac-Man - Mario vs Sonic vs Megaman vs Pac-Man. Boom, Wii U is saved. Namco's working on the game and Mario and Pac-Man have has crossovers before. And yes, Sakurai said in a certain interview that Namco characters aren't getting any special treatment, but what was he supposed to say? "Yeah, we're probably ganna put in Pac-Man"? Of course he's ganna give a vague "I dunnooo" kind of answer! Pac-Man will most likely be shown at this year's E3, almost 2 months and two weeks from now.
Grey Areas / Honorable Mentions
These are characters I'm a little unsure of that I feel are worth noting.
Ghirahim - When I saw this guy I thought of him as a perfect newcomer to Smash Bros. He had plenty of moves, plenty of personality, his very own theme song and stage ready to go, and is totally unique! Plus a villain. More of those are good. But then I see that Link and Zelda are based on their Twilight Princess iterations...which is good, since they look better in my opinion, but this did two things! Made me completely disregard Demise, maybe he can be a boss, and doubt Ghirahim. Can Ghirahim really be a lone Skyward Sword Rep? He's still relevant, I believe, being a pretty big character in the most recent console Zelda. Rosalina was a big character on the Wii as is the case with Ghirahim. So... mayyybe. If he isn't in, then he'd make a great DLC character.
Continued in the "spoiler" below. (I don't understand why it cuts here?)
Zoroark - I think if the roster was a size of 47 (reasonable...) that Ghirahim and Zoroark would be the extra two. Zoroark is the Lucario-esque Pokemon of Gen 5 sporting his own movie and unique abilities. But has his time passed? ...kinda. But that almost didn't stop Plusle and Minun from appearing in Smash! Plusle and Minun are rather underwhelming with...not really and unique abilities except for copying Ice Climbers I guess, and they don't have their own movie. Yet they were still considered! So Zoroark with his illusion ability, though I don't know how it would work, would be super cool! He'd even count as a new villain technically. A great rep to Gen 5 and Pokemon in general. A great DLC candidate.
Meowth - The only character planned for Smash 64 that never eventually got in. He most likely got his spot stolen by Jigglypuff back in the day who shared lots with Kirby, therefore being easier to add. I don't think Meowth is probable, but a Team Rocket theme song final smash that blasts all the opponents off again would be a sight to behold.
Hoenn Pokemon Trainer - Would make a great DLC character and perfect to advertise the upcoming Hoenn remake! ...that is...hopefully being made. Which is probable from Blaziken's Mega Evolution and the guide stating you must trade with another region for berries... Everybody lieks Mudkips, Grovyle made his name in the Mystery Dungeon series, and Blaziken has received plenty of love with its new Mega-Evolution and event for X&Y where you could download a special Torchic Day 1. Its Mega Evolution hints at a Hoenn remake with Swampert and Sceptile getting their own evolutions too. Therefore Hoenn Trainer's chances shouldn't be too bad a few months after Smash 4 comes out and a Hoenn remake is announced. Way better of a DLC character and Hoenn representative than Plusle&Minun.
Cranky Kong - If he's ever ganna be in Smash Bros, the time is now. I've never played a 'Donkey Kong' game, but an old-timer would be cool to see on the battlefield. He's really unlikely, but he could be a reasonable and unique character that definitely arouses some surprise. And we know Sakurai and the team would love to be surprising and unpredictable (a la Wii Fit Trainer).
Ridley - ...probably a stage hazard and boss at most, but then why hasn't he been shown yet? And why was there that weird update about the Nintendog where Sakurai said "Doy, scale doesn't matter here" an obvious reference to the whole Ridley argument. I guess I wouldn't mind him being in, but it sure would be weird. I mean, I fought him as a boss in Brawl. Now I'm just going to use him on a team with Wario summoning Pokemon? I dunno...

Captain Rainbow - Oh yeah! This guy! Possible since he'd be unique and that new trophy (Cpt. Rainbow iteration of Little Mac) might hint at a "Captain Rainbow" section of trophies. Or that series might just have 2 or 3 trophies in the miscellaneous section. Grey Area!

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

5/18/2014: I actually now have three possible rosters;

Roster A: assuming Part 1 of the Salromano leak is true:

Roster B: Assuming Sakurai decides to add 2 DK Newcomers;

Roster C: Assuming both of the Salromano leaks are true:

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Blue border = default, red border = unlockable.

Regarding my newcomers:

Ridley: I wasn't too keen on this fella at first, but I've warmed up to him. He's a giant space dragon; what isn't to like? I picture him as the opposite of Little Mac, fighting roughly on the ground but a killer in the air.

Medusa: Palutena is more likely at this point, but we've been needing more:
A. Kid Icarus characters.
B. Female characters.
C. Antagonists.

K. Rool: I never really knew I wanted him until I saw the "major" leak for the first time, actually. I don't really like the idea of him being a super-strong (and, evidently, agile) character with enough power to KO a lightweight in two good hits since, assuming he's as acrobatic as in his home series, that's a good way to get your character tourney-banned, but there's something appealing to me about the thought of a playable Rool.

Chrom: Because he's the newest lord. I'd be sad if Ike went the way of Roy, Path of Radiance being my first FE game, but I could see it happening.

Pac-Man: I'll be honest here - I don't want Pac-Man in Smash. People only think he stands a ghost (pardon the pun) of a chance because Namco-Bandai is developing, and there's very little his moveset could possibly be themed around. All he does in most of his games is eat dots. Street Fighter x Tekken put him in a wooden tank for Pete's sake. But this is the roster prediction thread, not the "roster I want" thread, plus I was trying to incorporate all of the characters from that pre-E3 "leak"...

Paper Mario: ...I don't think his chances are very good at all really, but I needed to fill in some space to get that eye-pleasing square shape.

Lip: She's cute, there's all kinds of interesting movesets she can have, we need a puzzle representative, she's cute, Sakurai likes her and her series, she's cute, and she's cute. End of discussion, Lip for Smash 4, you guys rock, good night everybody.

Mii: Neutral on this one, actually. I'm not sure if making a Mii character is a good idea (especially if they're customizable in more ways than just their appearance, since that would mean you'd encounter more Miis than anyone else in online play), but it's a plausible enough choice.

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
My dream roster is in my signature, but my realistic predictions {Excpet K. Rool who I may swap out for Dixie) are as follows:

Any critique is appreciated :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here is my roster. Its quite...different if I should say so myself!

Cuts: Ike

12 Newcomers:

Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina
Little Mac
Dixie Kong
Toon Zelda
Krystal
Palutena
Takamaru
Mii
Chrom + Lucina

Returning fighters: Mewtwo

DeliciousHotSchmoes

Smash Rookie
Um, Hi! I'm new to SmashBoards, and I'd like to share my roster. I tried to make it as accurate as possible, as well as adding a few major edits on the character's icons, thus thanks to those who made all of the character icons, over on the Roster Maker topic.

My Roster.png

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544

Newcomers+5= 16
King K. Rool: A requested character for a very long time, however, considering that he has not appeared in DK games recently, his chances may be hindered.
Wonder-Blue (or Red): I think a moveset for this would be very easy to think of and would work very well. Hopefully Platinum Games allows one in and the rest as alt costumes.
Krystal: Despite her not appearing in a game since Command, her moveset (staff included) could finally bring some justice to a series long populated by clones of Fox.
Ghirahim: Would have a good moveset and is still quite popular from Skyward Sword. Of course, he's only appeared in one Zelda game but that could change.
Shulk: I haven't played Xenoblade but from what I've heard and seen he could be a very interesting character.
Chrom + Lucina: Even though the Diddy/Dixie tag team has died, I still think it would be an interesting concept to bring Chrom and Lucina in.
Chibi-Robo: His moveset could be quite unique and his hopes have been revived in the form of Photo Finder. Why not?
Palutena: The leak. She has a higher chance than anyone else of getting in at this point, plus she'd be an interesting character.
Ridley: Possibly the character with the strongest support in the West, Sakurai cannot ditch this opportunity again. And plus, he's awesome.
Pac-Man: One of the most influential video game characters of all time, and since Bandai Namco is working on the game this seems inevitable.
Mii: This will likely be the "customization" Sakurai's been talking about. Plus, Mii are super popular even outside of Nintendo.

...and Mewtwo: His popularity is even stronger than Ridley's. Sakurai would be a fool not to bring Mewtwo back from the dead.

Cuts=9
:snake:: Chances lowered because of recent interview.
:lucas:: Undignified clone character.
:wolf:: A clone of a clone.
:jigglypuff:: It seems like Sakurai is completely unable to balance this guy.
:sheik:: Unfortunately, Sheik is obsolete nowadays in TLoZ and to make Zelda herself better, her other self might just go.
:popo:: Though somewhat popular now, the limitations of the 3DS might cause trouble for these guys.
:zerosuitsamus:: Seeing the E3 Trailer made me lose whatever hope I had in getting ZSS back. Alt transformations are so 2001 anyway.
:ike:: Might get ditched in favor of the tag team.
:pt:: See what I wrote for ZSS.

Granted, I don't expect to see all of these newcomers or all of these cuts. Then again, I don't see Goku getting in either. So yeah...you like?

5/8/14

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

3DS Roster.png

Here is my BEST CASE SCENARIO ROSTER! With various clones, I'll add more later

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman

Behold, unrealistic roster with over 9000 third party characters! (And unfortunately, no names)

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Edit: Originally had my roster here, but it's just way too hard to predict as all these newecomer trailers keep coming and changing everything haha. Great rosters, everyone!

Last edited:

Manatikik

Smash Rookie
This is my prediction/hope:

My big hope is that they finally include Sora to represent the KH series from the handhelds and to promote KH3 thats coming up here in the next few years. I feel ROB will be cut because IMO he was the least liked out of Brawl and someone has to be cut. Thinking Ike will make a return over Roy and Mewtwo will make a reappearance as the "new" Pokemon character for this Smash.

Last edited:

schavira

Smash Journeyman
Current Prediction (as of the Nintendo Direct) -

Likely

Best Case Scenario

(assuming Konami REALLY likes us, the Ridley tease was his 'clone' and King K. Rool is more than a boss or stage hazard)

----------------------------------------------------------

Previous Predictions

March 31st -

This is going to be my last stab at predicting this roster until the next newcomer who is NOT on here is announced. I would be impressed if Ike or Snake actually return. Other than that I think this is going to be it.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ah well might as well have a go at this too before the next Direct.

DK and Fire Emblem are open like this because I just can't make up my mind, I could see any of these characters making it in.... :T

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Up until now I haven't felt fully confident in actually predicting the Roster so I haven't posted one up here. However with the Smash Direct happening soon and the possibility of multiple revealed newcomers and information I want to try and predict it before so much information comes out that guessing the roster becomes somewhat "easy". Again the directs in a few hours so this might immediately get shot down but I'm going to try anyway.

My Roster Prediction:

MyGuessPredictionRoster.png

Everyone from Brawl returns except for Snake.

Remaining Newcomers:

Palutena
Ridley
PacMan
Mii
Shulk
Chrom/Lucina (combo/transformation character)
Mewtwo (returning)

Some alternate possibilities are: Robin instead of Chrom/Lucina, Takamaru instead of Shulk, No Mewtwo.
This is the best guess I have at this point, we'll see if it gets destroyed in a few hours or if it can stand the test of time.

------------[EDIT}-----------

Well now that my prediction has been destroyed it's time for a new one!

Came up with this one going off of the most credible leaks Sal Romano's E3 leak (Pacman, Mii) and his new leak on Gematsu right before the direct (Palutena, Chrom, Shulk, Choir boys) and Nintendo marketer JC Rodrigo tweeting that fans may have missed a few details from the direct (possibly the "trophies" pointing to 4 characters; reworked ganondorf, chrom, palutena, and ridley)... and also somewhat "loosely" following the guidelines of the Mario Kart 8 leak about 48 characters with 4 cuts...even though that leak is now considered false:

Snakes cut because Kojima tweeted about not being contacted for smash, Ike's out because all the series keep the same number of "reps" that way, and the obviously cut squirtle and ivysaur show that sakurai isn't against cutting unique movesets (though i'd rather cut wolf I feel Ike is more likely)

Mewtwo returns to give pokemon 6 reps like it had in Brawl.

Ridley has just been teased SO much even the direct disconfirming him seemed to hint there was more going on there, plus it would go with the "trophies in the direct = characters" nintendo marketing rep comment thing.

Mii's would be some form of customizable fighters and not playable online or something, so they don't "count" as a character more of a separate "mode" you can play.

So this could "technically" be 48 characters, 4 cuts. everyone Sal has predicted gets in, and no series lose the number of "reps" they had in Brawl (except metal gear solid).

Last edited:

Kon

Smash Journeyman
8/23/2013

This roster is my final roster, at least until the TGS 2013(I guess we will have another reveal of a character there)

Some changes to my roster, I've kicked Dark Shadow(as I feel for now F-Zero will not get a second representant) and Ridley(as Ridley seems to be part of a stage) and I've added Ike and Lucario. I think 3 representants for a series like Fire Emblem isn't that unlikely as Fire Emblem: Awakening is a huge success worldwide. I decided to add Lucario because with the new mega evolutions, Lucario is as probable to return as Mewtwo.

To create a likely roster, you have to analyse a bit the evolution of the roster since SSB64.

In SSB64, we had 12 characters and except for Mario and Luigi as well as Pikachu and Jigglypuff every character was a representant for a series. So in SSB64, we had 10 series.

In SSBM, we had 26 characters. Beside the 10 series from SSB64, we have got 3 other series:
Ice Climbers, Fire Emblem, Game&Watch.

In SSBB, we had 39 characters. Beside the 13 series from SSBM, there we 3/4 new series:
WarioWare/Warioland, Pikmin, Kid Icarus, (R.O.B.)

I could imagine, as Sakurai said they won't add too many characters, that they will go up to 45 characters.

So it we will see at least 3-4 new series I guess. What I've also noticed is the fact that no franchise ever had more than 4 characters and I feel like 4 characters is enough to represent a franchise. More than 4 characters could be too many characters for one franchise.
Mario franchise has already reached this limit as well as Pokémon. For Mario, I would keep the same 4 characters.
In the case of Pokémon where changes aren't that unusual, I've cut the Pokémon trainer and chose the two Pokémon Lucario and Mewtwo as they are known in the newest Pokemon games X and Y to have a mega evolution, a form that is first introduced in Gen6. So both would perfectly represent the newest Pokemon generation.
Fire Emblem will get a new character from Fire Emblem: Awakening for sure. Maybe Ike will stay because of his popularity, Marth will stay for sure as he is THE Fire Emblem lord of the whole series. For the new Fire Emblem entry I would pick Chrom or Lucina. I'm pretty sure one of both will get in.
As the Mother/Earthbound series has now found the way to Europe and America, I could imagine that they add another character from the series. Beside Porky, the Masked Man from Mother 3 is the most significant character in my opinion and would offer a few options to create an interesting moveset.
I don't think that Yoshis franchise will get another representant. The same goes for the whol Wario series as I don't see any character that is really worth getting into SSB4.
F-Zero is a franchise we haven't heard much for a long time now, so I think it is really unlikely that we will see any new character from the series.
In the case of Metroid, I could only imagine Ridley to enter the roster, but he seems to be part of a stage, so I can't imagine Sakurai will put Ridley in the game as a playable character. That's the reason I only put one Metroid representant.
I'll come now to Starfox. I've noticed that Sakurai always added one Starfox character since SSB64. In Melee he added Falco, in Brawl Wolf joined Fox and Falco. So another Starfox representant is likely and in my opinion Krystal would be the best choice. She could have a very unique fighting style and would be so different to the existing characters from Starfox in Super Smash Bros.
Next, I'll talk about the Donkey Kong series. With Donkey Kong Country Returns, the DKC series started a comeback. This year, the next DKC game from Retrostudios will be released and as we know already, Dixie will be playable. Isn't that a good reason to put her in the next Smash Bros game too?
Maybe we will also get a second newcomer for the DK series, but I wouldn't suggest that Sakurai will add another character from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. So the question is: Who could he add instead? Of course, he could add any character from DK64, but to be honest, the most significant villain from the DK series would be a much better choice. I'm talking about King K.Rool. He might not be in the two newest games of the DKC series, but Donkey Kong and King K.Rool are just like Mario and Bowser, so he needs to be in. I guess if King K.Rool won't be in the next DK game, he's getting more unlikely for the roster. So somehow I feel it's the last chance for him to get in.
Let's move to the next series, the Kirby franchise. In Brawl Sakurai added two new characters from the series, so I feel like Kirby doesn't need another representant for SSB4.
Maybe the Kid Icarus series will get more fighters in as Kid Icarus: Uprising brings the series back to life. I could imagine two representants, first of all Medusa as Pit knows her as a villain very well. Another possible character would be Hades as he is (spoiler!) the villain from Kid Icarus: Uprising.
I'll come back now to an old series that is represented in Smash Bros since the game for Nintendo64: The Legend of Zelda. In Melee, Sakurai added 3 new characters. In Brawl, he cut one and put another one in instead. I would be fine with just 3 representants you can see on my roster pic above. Still I could imagine that Sakurai may put in a new character, but I really can't predict anything. It would be a bit normal if he would add just another Link like he did in Melee with Young Link or in Brawl with Toon Link, but somehow, I think this time it will be different. Instead of predicting something weird, I won't predict any character for the Legend of Zelda franchise.

Now, I'm moving to the new series that could be in Super Smash Bros 4. Animal Crossing and Wii Fit are already confirmed. I don't like the idea that Sakurai may add the Miis. I prefer franchises like Punch Out! or Dillon's Rolling Western as they bring something new. Little Mac would bring something to the Smash Bros games by being a boxer. All the other characters aren't boxers and so a boxer would be something new. It would be a bit like Snake in Brawl.
Dillon, an armadillo with cowboy appearance, would bring something new too. I would really like to see how he is fighting against other Smash Bros characters. He isn't that unlikely as he has got two games, the first released in 2012, the second released in 2013, and beside that he has already got an own Mii Plaza puzzle. So Nintendo seems to push him. Another opportunity to push Dillon would be to add him to the Smash Bros roster where he would just fit perfect. I'm crossing fingers and I really hope Sakurai will add him. He isn't the character most people expect, but still he isn't that unlikely neither.

4/9/2014

Sorry Ridley supporters, after the Direct I feel like Ridley won't be in. Of course Ridley could still be in and Sakurai could just play with our expectations. I really wanted to support Ridley but given the pieces of information from the Direct, Ridley will probably be a stage Boss instead of a playable character.
Also I think the Kirby series will stay at 3 playable characters just as before. On the other side I'm not even sure anymore if we were to see two Kid Icarus reps. Given the franchises promoted by the E3 trailer, only Kid Icarus still has one sole rep. Chances are given there may be a 2nd rep, especially as Pit has a new final smash and (!) Sakurai was trolling by showing us a fake Palutena trophy. However I'm not sure anymore about a second rep for the Kid Icarus series and therefore I kicked Medusa out.

I also feel like F-Zero will stay at one rep while the Mother series MAY keep the 2 reps from Brawl. (almost not sure about it)

Another point: While I'm hoping for Mewtwo, I feel like Jigglypuff being more realistic as Jigglypuff is a fairy-type Pokémon and as a SSB64 veteran who has been playable in almost every Smash game so far, I don't think Sakurai will cut her/him/whatever.
Mewtwo on the other side would just be a third Pokémon in the roster with a mega evolution. Mewtwo is still iconic without a doubt, but I see Jigglypuff being in before Mewtwo.

As for the Donkey Kong series: I don't expect 4 DK characters anymore, but given the Direct, I can't really say who will be in: Dixie or King K.Rool? I'll go with King K.Rool for my wish roster(especially because of the Kremlings in the Direct!!!11) but for the realistic one, I've just put both in.

I also feel like the Zelda series with 5 reps having 5 spots is fine. I don't think Sakurai will cut Ganondorf and I don't think the Zelda series will have 6 characters in the roster.

Starfox series is fine the way it was in Brawl and I don't think Sakurai will cut Falco or Wolf.

Next is the Fire Emblem series. I wouldn't expect 3 Fire Emblem reps anymore. Chrom will probably get in but I think that's it. No Ike, no Roy. Just my expectations.

As for new series: I think Takamaru because of Nintendo Land has pretty obvious good chances to get in as a retro character.
Shulk from Xenoblade and Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western(and as eShop franchises rep) will get in.
Maybe, just maybe, Sakurai also knows already about Miyamoto's new IP which will probably be presented at E3 this year. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to put the protagonist of that new IP already in the new Smash Bros game. It would be without a doubt good promotion for the new IP and get us hyped for both, Smash Bros and the new IP from Miyamoto. (of course Sakurai can't confirm the new Miyamoto IP protagonist as a playable character before the Miyamoto IP was officially revealed)

47 characters for the final roster seems at least to me as a possible number of playable characters.

hjihjihjihji

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4184-3014-8369
Here are my predictions/wishlist.

I'm not marking Ridley as red just yet as I'd rather wait until he is 100% not a playable character. And I don't want to upset any Ridley supporters :p

I've made minimal cuts to the Brawl roster (only Squirtle and Ivysaur) as I believe Sakurai will generally be reluctant to cut characters. However I do believe some characters such as Snake will be unlikely to return and there won't be as many characters in the game as i have in my roster below.

Super Smash Bros. Wii Character Roster.png

Bowser Jr. - I have a feeling there could be up to 6 reps for popular franchises and if Mario has a 6th character he is the most likely/deserving. I also don't think Sakurai would reveal 5 Mario characters if he didn't have a little surprise saved for release.

I think Dixie has a huge chance to be in this game. King K. Rool has less going for him but Donkey Kong games have a special place in my heart so this is me being extremely hopeful. And when the Kremlings appeared in the direct I bumped my ticket on the hype train up to first class.

I think we will be treated to a new Zelda character and I think the most likely is Tingle. He is a series staple, has his own spin off games, is very popular in Japan and would provide a nice contrast to the other Zelda characters. I would generally prefer him to one game villains like Ghirahim who would be better suited as an assist and I never found Vaati that interesting so I think Ganondorf suffices in the villain department. He also hasn't been seen anywhere yet so fingers crossed.

Due to Charizard being standalone and the introduction of Greninja I've cut Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Krystal - I'm don't think her chances are great but I would love to see her in the game.

I've never been a huge fan of Metroid but I think Ridley is deserving of a place and could make an interesting villain as well as adding more variety.

I think Ike will stay and Sakurai will bring in Lucina as a female FE rep. To me it seems more natural than dropping Ike and then having to make a different but likely similar moveset for Chrom or by having 3 unnecessary male FE reps.

Sakurai has been trolling us about Palutena with the trophy in the direct and the statue update after the 'leak' which only makes me think all the more likely. Also Pits final smash has changed meaning she no longer appears in it.

I don't particularly want Pacman but I think they will definitely go with a Namco Bandai rep and he is easily the most iconic even if his 3D design is terrible.

Edit 16/07/2014

Super Smash Bros. Predicted Roster.png

Removed Tingle from the roster after E3. Now hoping for a reworked Ganondorf instead of a newcomer.

Ive removed Snake as he doesn't fit in with the other 3rd party newcomers and Konami isn't supporting Nintendo.

Removed Krystal to make it a bit more realistic as much as I would love to see her.

Added in Mii, Shulk and Robin.

Really happy with Sakurai fulfilling his promise to include more female characters but we have yet to see any villains apart from Bowser and Dedede so hopefully the final newcomer reveals will be some more villains.

So happy Sakurai went with the most interesting fighters from Fire Emblem rather than Chrom. He just wouldn't have added anything new but now we have our first swordswoman and a mage type character.

Also the double Lucina/Robin reveal trailer has got me hyped for a double Dixie and K. Rool trailer. That would be so awesome!.

Edit 29/08/2014

Super Smash Bros. Predicted Roster.png

Sakurai has presented us with a very interesting and diverse roster. This predicted roster is little optimistic given all we now know but I decided to fill up the remaining spaces on the screen.

As much as I would love K. Rool and Ridley I just don't see it happening now. I also refuse to accept that the Ice Climbers have been cut. I know it is not looking good but i can still hope. If Ice Climbers and Mewtwo return and we get a new Donkey kong rep (Dixie) this will actually be all I ever wanted and more. But failing that it is still pretty awesome and I can't wait to play it.

PS. I am so pleased that we are getting both Bowser Jr. and Rosalina!!

Last edited:

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
Here's my prediction roster:

myrosterprediction.png

Most of it is built upon the belief that the Gematsu and Palutena leaks are real, which predict Palutena, Pac-Man, Shulk, Chrom, "Chorus Men", and Mii in addition to the already confirmed characters listed in the leak.

DK Rep - It's either Dixie or King K. Rool, but one of them is going to be in the game. I'm rooting for Dixie.
Tingle - Most likely Zelda newcomer IMO at this point. He would rep his own series as Yoshi/Wario do.
Mewtwo - He's slightly less likely after Greninja's reveal, but I still feel we'll see him return. If not, I could see a different Pokemon veteran taking this spot (Squirtle/Ivysaur/Solo Red) or another Pokemon newcomer (even less likely though).
Lip - A personal favorite of mine, her chances dropped slightly after Lip's stick was confirmed. At this point she's either playable and Lip's stick was too iconic to remove or she's doomed to only have an item this game. :(
Takamaru - My choice retro; he could really use a series revival. If he doesn't make it, another retro could take this spot.
Another promoted AT from an unrepped series - It's either Barbara or Issac left at this point. It could go either way. If we don't get another promoted AT, this spot goes to "unexpected newcomer" if we get another surprise reveal instead.

What's that weird symbol over villager? I'm predicting that Mii will be playable as an alternate costume via Mii Masks. Basically the Mii Symbol will appear on Villager's CSP and you simply click it and select your Mii from the drop down menu. The Mii's face you selected appears instead of the Mii Symbol like it does in Animal Crossing as shown in the roster above to show which Mii is selected as your costume.

So, there's my prediction as of now. 53 characters or less (16 newcomers or less). I originally wasn't thinking we would get this many (48 was my original guess) but with the Gematsu leak and removal of transformations, I believe this is a fairly realistic expectation for the final game's roster.

Last edited:

PsionicToomey

Smash Rookie

Oh and disregard the link below for some reason I cant get rid of it. It doesn't even appear in my edit window

Attachments

Last edited:

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
3DS Roster.png

( The Question Mark represents Chorus Men.)

Alriiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. My roster is pretty safe, and is largely based off of the Sal Ramano leaks at Gematsu, so it shouldn't be too surprising. I believe that leak is more likely true than not. Here goes-

Confirmed roster plus...

The rest of the newcomers:
-Shulk
-Palutena
-Chrom
-Chorus Men
-Pac-Man
-Mii
-King K. Rool- Not in the recent leaks, but I believe he'll get in because of a relative lack of DK content shown so far. Metroid has an abundance of Assist Trophies compared to other franchises (Dark Samus, Metroid, Mother Brain), and a boss/ stage hazard (Yes, I believe Ridley is a stage hazard. His shadow was significantly larger than Pikachu's). The Zelda series has a huge amount of items this time around along with two confirmed assist trophies in Skull Kid and Midna. I believe those two series got extra representation because they will not have newcomers this time around. DK though... has not really gotten anything. Not one assist trophy and few, if any, items. I think that series has a newcomer and K. Rool is the most likely for me (sorry Dixie).

Veterans:
-Everyone from Brawl except for four cuts. I think the cuts will be Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, and Jigglypuff.
-Mewtwo returns.

With this, the roster sits at 49, 10 more than Brawl, with 13 newcomers (14 if you want to count Mewtwo, but he's technically a veteran).

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
3DS Prediction Roster.png

Unconfirmed Newcomers
  • Wario: He will be in the game and I made his default the classic outfit because I like it more.
  • Jigglypuff: She was in the original 12 so I think she will return.
  • Mewtwo: Pokemon had 6 characters in Brawl and he is by far the most popular candidate there is.
  • Ganondorf: He is too important to leave.
  • Meta Knight: He isn't going anywhere.
  • Ike: I think that Fire Emblem will get three characters and he makes more sense than Roy or a second newcomer.
  • Ness: He will return.
  • Lucas: See above.
  • Falco: See above.
  • Wolf: See above.
  • Captain Falcon: Original 12 won't go anywhere.
  • Ice Climbers: I think they have/will get past technical difficulties they have.
  • Mr. Game & Watch: He is a good retro character and easy to program.
  • R.O.B.: He will return no doubt.
Unconfirmed Newcomers
  • Bowser Jr.: If Mewtwo returns then the Mario series will most likely also get 6 characters and he is way more likely than Paper Mario.
  • King K. Rool: He is extremely popular and the kremlings prove that he isn't to old.
  • Bandana Dee: He had a 50/50 chance earlier but the lack of Waddle Dee Toss helped him out.
  • Chrom: He is recent and way more likely than Lucina or Robin.
  • Palutena: The leak, the Psudo-Palutena trophy, and Pit's new final smash all make her extremely likely.
  • Pac-Man: The Galaga ships make him more likely.
Cut Veterans
  • Pokemon Trainer: He was confirmed to be cut.
  • Ivysaur: With the amount of pokemon we already have he is unlikely.
  • Squirtle: See above.
  • Snake: He has so much against him that it isn't even funny.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
My prediction:
Fireball, I guess. Roster.png

King K. Rool- He deserves it, and is extremely likely, plus a villain and a new DK rep. It could also be his return to the limelight.
Takamaru- I really don't like Duck Hunt Dog, but personal opinions aside, Takamaru actually has a pretty viable moveset and has been mentioned by Sakurai himself.
Ridley- A new rep for Metroid, he's pretty likely since Sakurai's post about character scales and could be really interesting.
Ray- Custom Robo needs a revival, since it's one of Nintendo's most interesting series and Ray would have an interesting series.
Baby Donkey Kong- An extremely WTF character, I see him having an interesting moveset with exploding eggs, a banana bat, and his expert agility.
Sukapon- A good retro rep, he's already been in a Nintendo fighting game and would be extremely interesting with an infinite reach.
Palutena- I don't like her, but she's likely, so meh.
Pac-Man- Namco's making the game, Sakurai should include a character, Pac-Man is the world's most famous video game character, and he's complete the Ultimate Video Game Foursome of Mario, Sonic and Mega Man.
Mii- Meh.

4/5/2014

Prediction Roster.png

Note: Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Young Link, King Hippo, Alph, Slippy, Pichu, and Tom Nook are DLC, should've shown up red.

Newcomers:
King K. Rool- The most deserving DK rep, much more than Dixie, he has great moveset potential, he's pretty much the most popular newcomer for SSB4, and he just frankly makes sense, Nintendo hate or not. Wario is hated by Miyamoto, and he still got in Brawl.
Takamaru- The most deserving Retro rep, he also frankly makes sense, even having his own mini-game in Nintendo Land, so... yeah.
Ridley- The most likely Metroid newcomer, toobigots be damned. He has great moveset potential and even perfect attendance appearing in every Smash game, first as a cameo, then a trophy, and in Brawl as a boss. The playable character step is next, and I would hug him if he wasn't so goddamned big. :p
Waddle Dee- Pretty much established as the fourth main character in the Kirby franchise, he also has a great moveset using his spear, parasol and Megaton Punch. Kirby is one of the most popular franchises of all time, and Waddle Dee is one of the most loved characters in the series.
Samurai Goroh- Honestly, F-Zero deserves a new character, even if there hasn't been a new game in ten years, his presence could earn another, maybe even revive the franchise. His strong sword moves combined with lightning speed would make for an interesting character.
Chrom- Fire Emblem Awakening needs their poster boy, so here's Chrom. ... Not much else to say.
Palutena- Personally, I don't like Palutena, but she's really likely, so... she uses light powers, that mirror shield thing and her staff.
Pac-Man- Welcome to Smash, old friend. Utilizing his powers form The Ghostly Adventures, Pac-Man is a gaming icon, and has more than earned his place in Smash. Namco developing the game helps, too.

4/12/2014

afae Roster.png

My roster. Deal with it.

EcoNative

Smash Rookie
I decided to finally make my own roster. I used the Sal Romano leak in combination with my own hopes to make an, albeit unrealistic, 54-character roster. Red borders refer to secret characters, Rhythm Girls represents a character from Rhythm Heaven, and Bowser Jr. is interchangeable with Paper Mario.

Attachments

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Here's my prediction for the game's roster.

April 13, 2014 (Post-Direct)

Unconfirmed Veterans:
  • Wario- He is a prominent character. I don't see why he'd be cut. Also, Ashley, a character from his series, will be a new Assist Trophy.
  • Ganondorf- Easily one of the most important Zelda characters. I'm a little surprised he hasn't been shown yet.
  • Jigglypuff- Been around since the original game. Jigglypuff might not be the most relevant Pokémon character, but she has that Kanto nostalgia and maybe they could update her with a Fairy move or something for some relevance.
  • Mewtwo- One of the most popular Pokémon (in general) and with Mega Evos, I'd love to see him return.
  • Meta Knight- He was OP in Brawl, but I'm sure Sakurai would love to change that in SSB4 by making him less OP, thus I can see him returning.
  • Falco- He was a clone, but I still used to main him in Melee and I'm sure they can think of new moves for him.
  • Wolf- I never mained him, nor really played as him much, but I liked having a Star Fox villain here and would love if he stuck around. He's a clone, but I'm sure they can think of some way to differentiate him.
  • Game & Watch- Meh, I don't really know if he has high chances, but he is a nice retro character and I'd like to see him back.
  • Ice Climbers- Sakurai mentioned the challenges of IC on the 3DS, so I'm sure he'd want to get that working correctly, so I can see them possibly returning. There's also the fact that the polar bear enemy from the series is returning and was shown in Smash Run.
  • Ness- One of the original 12. Also, we do see the Franklin Badge & Mr. Saturn reprising their roles as items, so I'd find it weird if he didn't return.
  • Captain Falcon- One of the original 12. Also, we see Samurai Goroh reprising his role as an Assist Trophy, so I'd find it weird if CF didn't return as well.

Unconfirmed Newcomers:
  • Bowser Jr.- If Pokémon has 6 reps, I think Mario should match that and I think BJ would be an awesome character to play as. To avoid being a Bowser clone, BJ has his paintbrush, could have a Final Smash of summoning an airship, among possibly other things.
  • Ghirahim- I think Zelda should get a brand new rep, more specifically an antagonist, and Ghirahim is a fairly new character. I chose him over Demise as to avoid final boss spoilers in SS.
  • Palutena- I think Kid Icarus definitely deserves another rep. I really want Palutena playable (and I think Sakurai knows how much people want her playable with the Kid Icarus posts shortly after the Palutena leak and Pseudo-Palutena in the Direct).
  • Cranky Kong- Meh, I don't think DK getting another rep is overly necessary, but if there is one, Cranky would be perfect. Promotes TF and I feel he'd be less of a clone than characters like Funky or Dixie.
  • Waddle Dee- Similarly to DK, I don't know if Kirby needs another rep here, but if it should get one, I think Waddle Dee is good to promote the somewhat recent Return to Dream Land and Dedede now just tossing Gordos does seem to increase Waddle Dee's chances slightly.
  • Chrom- THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN. Chrom would greatly promote Awakening and is very popular.
  • Robin/Avatar/My Unit- Awakening was a huge success and like how Uprising makes me want another KI Rep, Awakening makes me want an extra FE rep. I think My Unit would be a good idea. My Unit doesn't even need to specialize in swords, as FE reps usually do, so it would add something interesting to the FE reps and perhaps SSB in general. Also, I can see there being a male/female option, just like Wii Fit Trainer and hopefully Villager. Even if Robin doesn't get in, I still want 3 FE reps, so as long as we get Marth, Chrom and a third FE character (even Ike/Roy), I'll be happy.
  • Pac-Man- I think SSB4 will have at max 3 third-party reps, with a third rep being a Namco character, and I think Pac-Man would be great. Not sure if they'd go so far as to add a male/female option, but it would certainly be appreciated.
  • Mii- Miis are popular characters and having one of the Miis you've created, or pre-existing Miis from SSB4, being playable would be an interesting addition.

Cut Characters:
  • Dr. Mario- Wasn't in Brawl and he seems like a waste of a character slot. I would like to see him as a skin for Mario though.
  • Young Link- Though I would have liked to see him return and use his masks as transformations, 2 different Links is more than enough (especially since all 3 have several similarities). Using his masks wouldn't even be possible n SSB4 and besides, they should have had him do that in Melee.
  • Pichu- Arguably a bigger waste than Dr. Mario. I see no reason for Pichu to return in any way for SSB4.
  • Roy- Outside of FE A DLC, Roy hasn't been in a FE game in over 10 years, so it would be wasteful to have him over other incredibly relevant FE characters. He was a great addition in Melee, but isn't relevant enough for SSB4.
  • Lucas- I don't think Earthbound deserves 2 reps and while Lucas was a cool addition for Brawl, it seems wasteful nowadays to have more than just Ness playable.
  • Pokémon Trainer- We see Charizard by itself, so I don't see Pokémon Trainer returning. I also don't see Squirtle or Ivysaur returning.
  • Ike- He certainly is an awesome character, but I don't see him returning for similar reasons to Roy (though a least Ike is more recent, and is different from Marth).
  • R.O.B.- I know I said characters like G&W & IC are great retro characters and naturally R.O.B. is too, but I just don't see him returning. I like how he plays, but I feel like at least IC & G&W are better.
  • Snake- He is easily the only character that has ever been playable that I 100% don't want to return. I'd much rather see Pichu, Dr. Mario or Roy than Snake. Nothing against the character, but I don't feel that he fits in anymore. Outside the 3DS remakes a few years ago, Snake hasn't even been on a Nintendo system in a long time.
Total Characters: 49
Veterans: 34
SSB- 12
SSBM- 10
SSBB- 12
Newcomers: 15

May 2, 2014 (Pre-E3 2014)

Unconfirmed Veterans:
  • Mewtwo- Starting to doubt that he'll return. 5 standalone reps seems to be enough for Pokémon in this game.
  • Wolf- I would love for all 3 Star Fox reps to return, but that series doesn't represent a lot nowadays and 3 seems to be a bit much. I'd prefer Falco over Wolf.
Unconfirmed Newcomers:
  • Bowser Jr.- Probably better as an Assist Trophy, now that I think about it. Also, like Pokémon, I think 5 standalone reps is enough for Mario in this game.
  • Ghirahim- Similarly to Pokémon & Mario, I think Zelda only needs 5 reps here. Also, I feel like Ghirahim would just be a one-time character, thus it would be wasteful to have him here.
  • Cranky Kong- 3 DK characters seems to be a bit much, even if Cranky could be unique.
  • Waddle Dee- 4 Kirby characters seems to be too much, even though the Kirby series is Sakurai's baby.

Total Characters: 43
Veterans: 32
SSB- 12
SSBM- 9
SSBB- 11
Newcomers: 11
Even though I liked the previous roster, I feel it had a little bit much compared to what might be reasonable for this game (probably somewhere around 43-45 characters). Also, I know the layout might look a bit weird with the placement of the Mii and Random Icons, but the layout really isn't important here.

June 15, 2014 (Post-E3 2014)

• Added back Wolf, Lucas & R.O.B.- Honestly, I'd love if the only Brawl cuts were Snake, Squirtle & Ivysaur. Could see Lucas potentially getting cut.
  • Removed Robin because we have Marth & Ike confirmed and I believe the Gematsu Leak, so I think Chrom should get the third spot. I doubt FE will have 4 reps.
  • Added Chorus Men & Shulk because of the Gematsu Leak.
  • Added back Ike due to recently being confirmed.
Total Characters: 48/50
Veterans: 36
SSB- 12
SSBM- 9
SSBB- 15
Newcomers: 12 (or 14 because of the 3 Mii Fighters)
As usual, the order of the characters isn't the main focus here, neither is who an unlockable or starter could be. At the end of the day, these are the characters I'd like to see in SSB4.

June 27, 2014 (Early Summer 2014)
3DS

Wii U

• Cut Lucas because of the Gematsu Leak. Also, based on what I've read in the Roster Size Thread, it is looking more likely that we will have 47 characters & Random.
  • Reformatted to what I think the rosters will actually look like. It definitely seems like the Wii U version will be 12x4, but I don't think that will fit on the 3DS, so I made an 8x6 one for the 3DS version.
  • Once again, the order of the characters is irrelevant. Well, mostly it is. I listed the ones from SmashFest in the order they appeared there (except I put Pikachu before Greninja), though the order for other characters isn't important here. Who is going to be a starter or unlockable is also unimportant here too.
Total Characters: 47/49
Veterans: 35
SSB- 12
SSBM- 9
SSBB- 14
Newcomers: 12 (or 14 because of the 3 Mii Fighters)
As usual, the order of the characters isn't the main focus here, nor is who an unlockable or starter could be. At the end of the day, these are the characters I'd like to see in SSB4.

Some Notable Alternate (Unconfirmed) Skins:
  • Lucina as a skin for Marth.
  • Dr. Mario as a skin for Mario.
  • Dr. Luigi as a skin for Luigi.
  • Dry Bowser as a skin for Bowser.
  • Wario's overalls as a skin for Wario.
  • Skyward Sword Zelda as a skin for Zelda.
  • Outset Link as a skin for Toon Link.
  • Alph & Louie as skins for Olimar.
  • Dark Pit as a skin for Pit.
  • Ms. Pac-Man as a skin for Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
2/4/2014

Here is my dream roster. Red=unlockable.

4/13/2014

Here's my updated hopeful roster after the direct. A sizable 60 character roster (40 starters, 20 unlockables). Red = unlockable.

April Updated Roster.png

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
It's safe assume that there will be more characters in SSB4 then there were in Brawl. It's also safe to assume that not every character from Brawl and/or melee will be returning.

There's no way of knowing who all will be in the game so here's my roster prediction only taking into account the confirmed characters and veterans whom I think are guaranteed to return, based on importance, popularity, consistency throughout the series, and other factors.

I think wolf's chances are extremely high but he with Falco being a given and many new characters yet to be announced I don't think it's a sure thing.

I'm pretty convinced that Mewtwo will be in the game. His absence in Brawl was not well receive and Mewtwo still remains one of the most popular pokemon of all time.

Roy, Ike, and Lucas: Popular, but not enough to be a sure thing.

Pichu, Squirtle, Bulbasaur: Not popular enough

ROB, G&W: Very unique. Somewhat popular, but still expendable

Dr.Mario: Him and Mario are the same person but Doc isn't iconic or very popular.

Snake: 3rd party character from a franchise that has barely touched Nintendo consoles. No guarantees

So right now I see a minimum of 38 characters.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I think it's about time I put one up:

This one has 50 characters, and assumes the Gematsu leak is real. Replace "Rhythm Heaven Girl" with Chorus Men/Marshal. I tried to balance out some of my personal wants with keeping it somewhat reasonable and accounting for the leak. I think I'd be pretty satisfied if the final product looked like this. I'd be willing to possibly swap Lucas with Ike if necessary, but I'd be OK with this roster.

Cuts:
Snake
Ike
Squirtle
Ivysaur

Newcomers:
Villager
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina and Luma
Little Mac
Greninja
Palutena
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Chorus Men/Marshal
Chrom
Shulk
Pac-Man
Mii

Returning from Melee:
Mewtwo

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Here's my dream roster based on the "Sal Romano" leak. 53 characters total. (Green borders indicate newcomers.)

Here's my roster based on the same leak as well as that awful "48 characters, 4 cuts" rumor I don't like.

Last edited:

Forstride

Smash Rookie
NNID
Forstride

Here's mine with 48 characters total. Some of the characters are more "wishlist" characters rather than characters I think have a good chance (Ridley, Bayonetta, etc.), but I tried putting some thought into it.

Wonder Red and Bayonetta could also be swapped out for other first party characters, as I doubt we'll be getting 5 third party characters total. I think Pac-Man has a really good chance though, seeing as he's a very popular icon in gaming, and the game is being co-developed by Bandai Namco. He's my most wanted newcomer as well, just for how well he would fit in.

I'm a bit skeptical on Falco and Lucas returning, but I threw them in there anyway since I couldn't think of anyone else. Palutena and Chrom are obvious choices, so I don't think I need to explain them. Ridley is sort of a weird choice, because while I don't really care if he's added or not, he would be a good addition. A lot of people have been saying he could be like Little Mac's counterpart, exceeding at aerial combat, but lacking at ground combat.

And of course, Mii. Seeing as Nintendo has been doing a lot with Miis lately (Tomodachi Life for example), there's a very good chance he could be added to SSB Wii U/3DS. I'm sure his stats would remain the same regardless of what Mii you're using, but it'd still be neat to be able to play as your own Mii, or other Miis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom