• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Display Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
[collapse=January/4/2014]

Since it's a new year and looking back at my old roster makes me question my choices, here's my new prediction roster.

*Updated with new artwork for Ganondorf and Lucario. Lucario's SSB4 render*

• No cuts from Brawl + Mewtwo's back
  • King K. Rool
  • Palutena
  • Little Mac
  • Waddle (Bandana) Dee
  • Takamaru
  • Chrom
  • Ridley
  • Mii

Confirmed newcomers:
  • Rosalina
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Villager
  • Mega Man
[/collapse]

[collapse=February/14/2014]

I've decided that this will be my final prediction roster, the one that I will stick with til the games are released and we find out whose in and who didn't make the cut. Whether the following is an over-optimistic roster with a few big hitters or what SSB4 will actually turn out to very closely resemble is anyone's guess and/or opinion (probably the latter) but either way, here we go.

3/27/2014 - Updated with new artwork for Ike, Chrom and Takamaru.

(Random is there to make it symmetrical)

• No cuts from Brawl + Mewtwo returns
  • King K. Rool
  • Palutena
  • Waddle (Bandana) Dee
  • Ridley
  • Chrom
  • Takamaru
  • Mii
  • Pac-Man

Confirmed newcomers:

Final Smashes:

• Charizard - Mega Charizard (either one).
  • Lucario - Mega Lucario
  • Mewtwo - Mega Mewtwo (either one).
[/collapse]

[collapse=April/11/2014]

After the recent Direct....my previous roster was totally destroyed. I thought for hours and I couldn't think of any full-proof way to salvage it (and still can't) so it was time to make a new prediction roster (no more "this is the last prediction roster I'll make, let's ride it out from here" due to circumstances like that Smash Direct. That was, I admit, idiotic of me to assume I wouldn't need to do a major rethinking for the previous prediction roster. It's Sakurai after all).

I've thought for a few days of what I expect the final roster to look like, taking into account the size and recent leaks as well (leaks that actually hold up or have an extremely good chance to though that is usually heavily opinionated), along with basic knowledge of Smash 4 in general thus far. Of course, when it comes to leaks, I'm referring to the Palutena leak and the two leaks by Sal Romano. Note that this isn't just a prediction roster based entirely on a few alleged leaks.

Wii U:

Alternate version (4 horizontal rows)

3DS (scroll up and down):

*Updated June/18/2014 - New icons for Mr. Game & Watch and Chorus Men. 3DS version! Franchises moved around slightly.*

Newcomers:
  • Villager
  • Mega Man
  • Wii Fit Trainer(s)
  • Rosalina
  • Little Mac
  • Greninja
  • King K. Rool
  • Palutena
  • Chrom
  • Shulk
  • Mii Fighter(s)
  • Chorus Men
  • Ridley
  • Isaac
  • Pac-Man
Total Newcomers: 15
Cut: 4 (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas and Snake)
Returnee: Mewtwo
Overall Total: 51 (I don't see the final roster going over this number for playable characters, excluding possible DLC. 52 counting Random)

[collapse=Reasonings for Expecting:]
King K. Rool - The Kremlings appearing in the 3DS exclusive mode "Smash Run" along with being very popular worldwide. I'm not gonna lie, the Kremlings give me the most hope as of late for K. Rool though I do understand that could mean nothing for the Kremling King.

Chrom - One of the most relevant picks for a Fire Emblem representative and he's extremely popular (basically everywhere that I've seen, runner up it seems being Avatar).

Shulk - Requested by so many across the world, especially Japan. Has the credentials to be a unique swordsman. With the newcomers so far, may I remind you, I can not say unique enough. It's obviously one thing that Sakurai is really striving for.

Chorus Men - A very unique trio, kinda like Ice Climbers but with an additional Nana or Popo. Moves would arguably be no problem because of all the rhythm-based minigames in the Rhythm Heaven franchise that The Chorus Men could take from.

Ridley - I just have a odd feeling that he's playable. Sakurai has only teased Ridley and not even said his name once. The whole situation around Ridley seems so odd...
Ridley is one of two characters I'm remaining extremely optimistic about, hoping they're secret newcomers or we get a 3rd list from Sal in the upcoming months with a few more newcomers said to be in.

Isaac - From what I've heard so far, he's no where to be seen in the demo versions yet as an Assist Trophy. That alone gives me hope he's followed Little Mac's footsteps from an Assist Trophy to a playable character. Isaac is the other character I'm being optimistic about.

K. Rool isn't one of the two I'm optimistic towards because I really feel he has one of the biggest chances to be a playable character whose not been mentioned by Sal yet.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Final Smashes for Pokémon and StarFox]
Pokémon:
Mega Lucario
Mega Charizard (X)
Mega Mewtwo

StarFox:
Arwing for Falco
Wolfen for Wolf
[/collapse]

[collapse=Cuts and Character Updates]
Cuts:

Squirtle and Ivysaur - This should be obvious to anyone who watched the Smash Direct (which I hope was anyone whose buying either or both Smash 4 versions) but I'll say it anyways. mid-battle transformations (again, excluding temporary ones like Giga Mac) and switch-ins are no more for Smash 4 and I really do not see Squirtle and Ivysaur going solo like Charizard. I especially don't see them coming back as Blastoise and Venusaur with Mega Evolutions as their Final Smash, not with Greninja being a thing.

Lucas - To me, it seems Lucas is gone. Sal further confirmed my speculation by saying he likely may be cut. I'll gladly accept him back if he returns but I just don't see it happening. Call it a hunch.

*Snake - I just simply do not see him returning at this point. I think he should have been revealed by now if he was (if Sakurai had the intention to bring him back which I think he would have decided months ago). Right now, I do not see a similar happening for Snake like Sonic added into Brawl at the last minute.

*E3 2014 seemed to be the perfect place to reveal all the third party characters in Smash 4 and with us only getting Pac-Man with no one else announced afterward, it seems like a lock that Snake has been cut. I'll give it til August or September before I call it, just in case.

Character Updates:

Ike - Radiant Dawn design.
Wario - A little more Wario Land based, even if it's just one move change.
Ganondorf - His own unique moveset. No more Captain Falcondorf.
Meta Knight - Nerfed
Jigglypuff - Reflects the change to Fairy type.
[/collapse]

[/collapse]

[collapse=July/14/2014]

From now onward, I'm going to just keep these short and simple compared to previously. Without further ado, here we go.

*Updated August/21/2014 - New icon for Shulk.*

Wii U:

Alternate version (4 horizontal rows - I feel that the roster in the Wii U version could go 14 slots across)

3DS:

Newcomers:
  • Villager
  • Mega Man
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Rosalina
  • Little Mac
  • Greninja
  • Palutena
  • Lucina
  • Robin
  • Mii Fighter(s)
  • Pac-Man
  • King K. Rool
  • Ridley
  • Shulk
  • Rhythm Heaven Rep
Total Newcomers: 15
Cut: 3 (Squirtle, Ivysaur and Snake)
Returnee: Mewtwo
Overall Total Characters: 52 (54 counting all 3 Miis)

[collapse=Final Smashes for Pokémon and StarFox Characters]
Pokémon:
(
) Mega Lucario
(
) Mega Charizard (X)
(-) Mega Mewtwo

StarFox:
(-) Arwing for Falco
(-) Wolfen for Wolf
[/collapse]

[collapse=Character Updates]
(
) Ike - Radiant Dawn design.
(-) Wario - A little more Wario Land based, even if it's just one move change.
(-) Ganondorf - His own unique moveset. No more Captain Falcondorf.
(Uuggghhh...
(?)) Meta Knight - Nerfed
(-) Jigglypuff - Reflects the change to Fairy type.
[/collapse]

[/collapse]

August/29/2014

*Updated September/10/2014 - Roster arrangement and removed a few characters, replaced with others*

Wii U:

3DS:

Newcomers:
  • (
    ) Villager
  • (
    ) Mega Man
  • (
    ) Wii Fit Trainer
  • (
    ) Rosalina
  • (
    ) Little Mac
  • (
    ) Greninja
  • (
    ) Palutena
  • (
    ) Mii Fighter(s)
  • (
    ) Pac-Man
  • (
    ) Lucina
  • (
    ) Robin
  • (
    ) Shulk
  • (
    ) Bowser Jr.
  • (
    ) Duck Hunt Dog
  • (
    ) Dark Pit
  • (---) Dixie Kong
  • (---) Rhythm Heaven Rep
Total Newcomers: 19 (counting Mii as 3)
Cut: 4 (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Ice Climbers and Snake)
Returnees: Mewtwo and Dr. Mario
Overall Total Characters: 56 (counting Mii as 3)

[collapse=Final Smashes for Pokémon and StarFox Characters]
Pokémon:
(
) Mega Lucario
(
) Mega Charizard (X)
(---) Mega Mewtwo

StarFox:
(---) Arwing for Falco
[/collapse]

[collapse=Character Updates]
(
) Ike - Radiant Dawn design.
(---) Wario - A little more Wario Land based, even if it's just one move change.
(
) Ganondorf - His own unique moveset. No more Captain Falcondorf.
(Uuggghhh...
(?)) Meta Knight - Nerfed
(---) Jigglypuff - Reflects the change to Fairy type.
[/collapse]

I'll update this accordingly, whenever I get the time to do so and whenever needed (or just when I feel like it. Example: Icon changes for characters not confirmed yet).

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

This is my rough guess. 44 characters, 10 newcomers.
I'm assuming the third Fire Emblem spot will be a girl or the My Unit from Awakening

wah wah wee woo

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I've made this roster the other day using a image template I saw on /v/. It does has some questionable choices, and random names everywhere.

Transformations:
- Zelda: Sheik
- Samus: ZSS
- PKMN Trainer: Froakie, , Quilladin, Delphox
- Genesect Vehicle Mode

Alts:
- Dr. Mario
- Dr. Luigi
- Male WFT
- Lucina
- WarioWare Wario
- More accurate Blood Falcon
- More accurate Daisy
- Proto Man
- Solid Snake
- Wonder Red without costume
- Male X/Y Trainer
- Dark Pit
- Giga Mac
- Female Villager
- Alph
-
Lucas

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
I've made this roster the other day using a image template I saw on /v/.
Afrodude, I think that was a fake leak, not a roster template.

49 char.png

Anyway, here's my 49-spot roster. I'm not actually too confident on Dillon, Ridley, Klonoa, and Quote's chances of actually being included, so you can just ignore the rightmost row to make it a more realistic, 45-slot roster.

ADDENDUM: Hoenn Trainer can be swapped out for the regular Pokemon Trainer if one sees fit. I had trouble deciding, myself.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman

I did not cut anyone, although a radical idea would be to give Ike's move-set to Ganondorf and Lucario's move-set to Mewtwo and have those two characters removed. This way Ganondorf uses his sword and Mewtwo combines his old move-set with Lucario's.

I would have liked to add Kamek as a Yoshi representative but I wanted to play this safe and make a reasonable roster prediction rather than have my own fantasy run wild. Characters I would have loved to playable are Kamek, Geno, Mallow, Professor Oak, Skull Kid, King Boo and Crono. Skull Kid is an Assist Trophy, while Professor Oak and King Boo have zero chance. Geno, Mallow and Crono are extremely unlikely since they are Square properties. Kamek is the only one with half a shot but still highly unlikely.

Out of the newcomers I chose, I'm not very particular to Mii, Pac Man,Takamaru, Little Mac, or Palutena, I added them because they are likely. Ridley and K. Rool have always been favorites of mine and are iconic to their respective series. Mewtwo's return would be very welcome and Anna would be an awesome Fire Emblem character to add because she is iconic while being a good choice over so many equally likely lords.

~

I have updated the roster to accommodate the information revealed from multiple Nintendo Direct and E3. Most of the changes were due to the removal of transformation characters I could not have predicted. Also, I removed Lucas and Snake due to various rumors and much deliberation. This is my final revision before the game releases, hopefully the roster turns out to be awesome

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy

50 characters.
All returning from Brawl

12 Newcomers
Tetra, Ridley, Rosalina, Dixie Kong, Robin, Mewtwo, Paper Mario, Little Mac, WFT, Palutena, Megaman, Mii

Some may call this weird, others may see the logic. Only close Newcomer I didn't add was Pacman, but, screw Pacman, he ain't that important.

This is how I see it:
Dixie over K.Rool, sadly
Ridley because hes too big
Tetra because they were apparently thought to be added to Brawl, and I think the Toon series has alot of publicity and many installments.
Mewtwo because seriously
Robin because I've heard thangs about him she it, and I don't know Fire Emblem, and because no blue hair
Paper Mario as a hopeful logical please please guess, but seriously if there are two Links ....
Little Mac because honestly
Palutena because Kid Icarus is Sakurais baby and I feel like it's the new Starfox like how Falco was to Melee
Mii because it's a smart business move and like why hasn't it happened yet?

I also have fun making my roster look like a character select screen. Made sure I had all the important people at the top.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
NEW ROSTER UPDATE: VERSION 4.7!!!!

Full Roster 4.7.png

(Credit to Ariand/AEM for making the Background of Sheriff)

8/12/2013

Full Roster 5.3.png

10/21/2013

Please excuse the absence of Starfy & Paper Mario, I'd put them in if It was a 54 character roster

Newcomers: 13
Veterans: 39

Joke Roster:

12/22/2013

1/10/2014

1/19/2014

Last edited by a moderator:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Well the direct just passed so let's do a little update

Smash 4 Characters (Total 54)

Ok here is the way I see it. This isn't my wish list, this is what I VERY likely think will happen. This list is based off of smash's history and what we currently know about Smash 4. I think that 54 is a solid amount of characters.

I've followed the leak's roster placement and added in logical characters based off it.

Last edited:

Yams

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty satisfied with this roster, so I'll be sticking with it until something is revealed.

Notes:

-I think Sakurai would be willing to add Tingle, and he is one of the most important and iconic characters left to be playable, and the only iconic Zelda character left.
-Chibi-Robo has re-established relevancy due to Photo Finder, and can have a moveset that would be much more unique than other misc. characters.
-Dog & Duck is called "Dog & Dog" over "Duck Hunt Dog" due to personal preference, and other character duos using both characters names.
-Dog & Duck are added as a classic rep, seeing as every game so far has had 2.
-I hate Pac-Man. I think he's a bad character choice for SSB4. But, I think his inclusion is inevitable.
-Miis are not customizable, they have a set moveset.

-48 Characters + Mii
-0 Cuts
-4 3rd Party Reps
-6 New Misc. Characters

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
So here are my guesses, these are some rosters I made a few weeks ago.
The first one is what I'd like, the second one is what I expect

I changed my mind about some characters, Tetra being a transformation of Toon Zelda, No Snake and I'd really love Anthony from Other M

I have another one, I made it a few months ago, before the Rosalina reveal , it may be out of the realm of possibilities, but I'd be a good roster for me :3

Mugiwara no Luffy

Smash Rookie
Thought I'd post my roster that's been newly revised for 2014 :):

Some things to note:
  • Blue borders = veterans, red borders = newcomer
  • Only cut characters are Lucario, Wolf, Ike, and Snake
  • Ganondorf would still be considered a veteran, but now he would have a completely different moveset and appearance based off TWW
  • I put Ridley on the roster due to him being one of the most requested newcomers, but personally I would much rather have a different Metroid newcomer added (like Dark Samus)
  • I tried to keep within a character limit as far as newcomers go, but I would still like to see a few other characters like Takamaru, Mike Jones, etc. in the game (I would just prefer characters like Isaac and Shulk)
  • Though I tried to make this roster as realistic as possible, it would probably be more believable if I had replaced some of the newcomers on the bottom row with "revived" retro characters (since Sakurai expressed an interest in adding more of those)

Last edited:

DM1

Banned via Warnings
Thought I'd share even though mine is straight out of Roster Maker 7.0 and nowhere near as pretty to look at. Tried to be realistic and use as little of personal preference as possible, but I'm no wizard so I'm likely to be wrong regardless. Still, felt this would be too fun to pass up on doing.

So anyways, here's how I see it:

Returning Vets:
C. Falcon/Jigglypuff/Yoshi/Ness- The four veterans of every Smash title still unannounced. I'm sure not a lot of people would argue about their return but personally I think it would feel a bit off if they didn't make it back in. They practically have reserved seats for the crowded concert that is Smash Bros.
ZSS/Sheik- Two more characters that would make things seem odd if they weren't to return. With Zelda and Samus' "Zero Laser" final smash already revealed, these guys (or should I say girls) are pretty much guaranteed.
Mr. G&W/ROB- These guys are a bit odd and not often taken seriously but I'm sure Sakurai loves these quirky retro mascots as much as I do if not even more. I'm hoping that it becomes a trend that every game adds in some sort of Nintendo history character that never really served as protagonists/antagonists in any game.
Wario- A fan favorite that's only become more relevant since the days of Brawl. Seeing as how Ashley is a confirmed Assist Trophy, can we really expect Wario to not show up at this point?
Wolf- While generally pointed at first when asked who isn't likely to return, I think Wolf brought a lot to the table and generally represents the series well as a reoccuring long time nemesis of Fox.
Diddy- Much like Wario, Diddy is still very relevant to current Nintendo. Maybe we'll even see him with some abilities from Donkey Kong Country Returns?
Meta Knight- Despite balance issues Meta Knight was a very unique character who Sakurai clearly put a lot of love into. Perhaps he'll get toned down a bit.
Ice Climbers- Sakurai briefly mentioned in the past that he was having trouble with characters like the Ice Climbers on the 3DS version due to them having mutltiple AI. The way I see it is this confirms Sakurai was working them into the game at some point, and with Rosalina now sporting multiple AI similar (if not more complicated) than Ice Climbers, their chances are looking pretty good.
Mewtwo- While listed as a veteran, I would imagine Mewtwo to serve as more of a newcomer. Mewtwo back before Brawl was voted one of the worst characters in Melee by fans, but with his new popularity in Pokemon X/Y along with playing a major role in the latest Pokemon movie, Sakurai has already shown interest in bringing him back. Whether his Mega Evolution(s?) served as a transformation or a final smash, I would assume Mewtwo to be a very different character than he was in Melee if brought back to SB4.

Non Returning Vets:
P. Trainer/Ike/Lucario- Much like how Roy, Young Link and Mewtwo got swapped out with Ike, Toon Link and Lucario I get the feeling these guys are going to get swapped out with new/more relevant characters.
Snake- Probably one of the most interesting/ biggest characters to get added to Smash, but sadly I feel times have changed with the MGS series and Snake has only become more irrelevant and unfavorable for Nintendo to advertise. Not only was MGS4 not released on Nintendo's console, MGS:LC and MGR:R released on every home console besides Nintendo's, and MGS5:GZ is planned for the exact same treatment.
Lucas- As someone who mained Lucas and regards MOTHER 3 as their favorite game of all time, I don't want to see Lucas go. But in reality, MOTHER 3 is no longer the new entry in an already obscure series, Ness is much more iconic and likely to return, Lucas is very similar to Ness and can easily be carried over to him, Lucas' stage is regarded as one of the worst in Brawl by many, and he doesn't really add much to the roster. He's probably the least likely to return, as much as I love him and don't want him to leave.
Falco- Probably the most controversial theory in my entire speculation. With the roster as tight as it is I really can't see all three Star Fox reps returning. That being said, I feel that Falco, although a very loved and iconic character within the Smash Bros series, isn't as significant as Wolf or Fox in terms of the actual Star Fox lore and in terms of abilities brought to the table. That being said though, Falco should still make an appearance in the game in some shape or form, and some of his unique moves could easily be implemented on Fox/Wolf.

Newcomers: This is where things start to get a little creative and not as much predict-y. Given that new characters usually introduce 'new' things into the game, I came up with some of my own details for how some of the new characters would work. Some of them are pretty self explanatory however so I feel they wouldn't need a description. These are all the characters I think have the best chances of getting in though, so I listed all of my reasons for why they'd make it in as well.

Kalos Trainer- This one's a bit more of a creative rep, much like the original Pokemon Trainer was. I believe the original Pokemon Trainer was introduced not because of Gen I's popularity, but because of Fire Red/ Leaf Green being relevant at the time. Pokemon X and Y may not be as iconic as Red and Blue, but personally (as a fan of all of the Pokemon games) I think they stand out a lot more to many people because of the massive transition into 3D for the series and the introduction of Mega Evolutions.

As for the actual Pokemon the trainer uses, I was thinking he/she could use Fennekin, Quilladin, and Greninja. Unlike how the Pokemon's speed/strength were based on their evolution stage with the original Pokemon Trainer, Fennekin would be a medium speed light character with mostly long range attacks, Quilladin would be the slow hard hitting character, and Greninja would be the light and fast character. I think these three have a lot of personality and move potential which would make for a very fun character. Also, removal of the stamina system and being able to choose one or two of them instead of all three. This isn't as much of a prediction as it is a personal preference, but the stamina system was pretty busted and I'm sure that would be the best option in terms of balance.

Alph- I didn't personally want this character to be in the game. So then why am I listing him? Mainly because Olimar was announced and he doesn't use the Flying Pikmin or the Tock Pikmin from Pikmin 3 so I'm pretty sure we're going to get another rep for the game that does use them. Otherwise that would seem a little weird if we got a Pikmin 3 stage with Olimar's Pikmin 3 design but no new Pikmin to be seen.

However, I highly doubt that Sakurai would throw an Olimar clone in the game. My idea for Alph was he would be able to only pluck Flying Pikmin and Rock Pikmin, but his moves would be dependant on specifically Flying Pikmin and Rock Pikmin opposed to just having a bunch of Pikmin like with Olimar. Instead of having a rotation system of Pikmin, each with their own properties, The Flying Pikmin would always follow him in the air and the Rock Pikmin would always follow him on ground, and some of his attacks would only use rock pikmin or only flying. For example, his aerials would only his Flying Pikmin plucked and his smash attacks would only use the Rock Pikmin. He could also have moves based on how many of a certain Pikmin he had, such as a recovery move where he's lifted by all of his Flying Pikmin which lasts longer depending on how many he has plucked, Or a move where all of his Rock Pikmin do a ground slam which causes damage in a larger area depending on how many Rock Pikmin he has plucked. Of course, he would still have to have moves where he throws Pikmin at the enemy, or else they would never die.

Shulk- Shulk's already a bit of a popular vote on these forums, but I'll explain his significance anyways. He was from Xenoblade Chronicles, which, like Pandora's Tower and The Last Story, was a great game in the late era of the Wii that had no plans of release outside of Japan. This was changed by a massively successful movement called Project Rainfall, which was essentially a petition sent to Nintendo showing there was large interest in these games. While they all were eventually localized, Xenoblade Chronicles was a bit of a special case since Nintendo fully bought Monolith Soft from Namco Bandai back in 2007, making Xenoblade Chronicles technically a first party game. Shulk is one of the few new protagonists in a Nintendo game who hasn't had his face shown yet, and the fact that he's first party opposed to most of the roster being second party characters only helps his (imo) already strong chances.

But why just another sword wielding character? Shulk actually has tons of special attacks and abilities that could be incoorperated from Xenoblade Chronicles, almost enough to cover his entire moveset. He could even use some of his party member's abilities/ attacks if needed. Also, even if Shulk doesn't end up making it in for whatever reason Sakurai decides, not including at least a stage from the game would be a real missed opportunity since Xenoblade Chronicles has some serious potential for beautiful HD stages/ tracks to battle to.

Little Mac- Originally Little Mac was added in Brawl as an assist trophy, but since then he's got a reboot on the Wii from Next Level Games. Although a character being old/ obscure hasn't stopped Sakurai from adding them in the past, I feel like Little Mac's appearance as an assist trophy has gained him a ton of fans, and his new Wii game added even more onto his popularity. With how many Smash Bros characters already added in I feel like Little Mac is probably one of the most desired characters left to be added, and he's certainly got what it takes.

Chrom & Lucina- Following the logic I stated with Ike, I believe that the next rep of the series aside from Marth to appear in SB4 will come from Fire Emblem Awakening, as do many other people. It only makes sense that they would use a character from the latest major game, especially since Fire Emblem Awakening was surprisingly popular in countries outside of Japan. However, I've noticed that Sakurai has been really creative with characters as of lately and since none of the characters have too many unique assets, I thought they could instead capitalize on the new partnering system added into Fire Emblem Awakening, and without Spoiling who they are and why, Chrom and Lucina would make for the best duo.

Here's my general idea with Chrom & Lucina: They would play much like Zelda and Sheik where you can switch between the two in battle, except instead of just having them be the same character, one of them would always be standing in the outer field of the stage similar to Pokemon trainer while the other is in the fight. Unlike the Pokemon trainer though, they always follow the exact movements of eachother as well as jumping off the stage. This would be due to some attacks functioning as combos, similar to the double attacks you'd see in Fire Emblem Awakening when pairing two characters together. The only acception to this would be if one character was knocked off the stage, so the other character would take over instead as they clearly weren't hit in the process. I'd assume the best way to balance this would be to have them share percentages so it doesn't just function as a fresh new stock, but more as a second chance at escaping death, or possibly turning the tables on the enemy. Some moves that feature both characters attacking in a combo would also cripple the player in solo fights similar to Popo and Nana, so keeping both characters alive would always be a major priority.

Diskun- So at first this one may seem like more than a stretch. Easily the least likely newcomer of all of these to appear. But as stated with Mr. Game and Watch and ROB, I hope that Sakurai continues this trend of adding in bizarre characters important to Nintendo's history. If this were actually a trend that he were to keep alive with every new Smash Bros and if ROB being added after G&W wasn't just a coincidence, I think this guy is the next big and best "WTF" character of Nintendo's history: The Famicom Disk System mascot Diskun.

With that out of the way, what exactly could Diskun do? Predicting any moveset for this character would be like trying to shoot a bullseye while blindfolded, but seeing as how G&W's moves are directly related to the various Game & Watch games and ROB's moves are mostly related to the actual ROB's features, I figure Diskun could have a combination of these moves. Not only could he use moves related to various Famicom Disk System games, but Diskun was also actually a series of cleaning cases as well as rare Game & Watch games. The possiblities are near endless.

- - - - - - - - - -

So that's about it. To conclude, my only doubts are that Sakurai was very specific on how he wanted to keep the roster light. This roster is 40 characters, (46 including the transformation/ Swap characters Luma, Sheik, Lucina, Quilladin, Greninja, ZSS) who I would count as their own characters since they usually require just as much development and detail as a regular character. Sakurai's exact words-

"It isn't a matter of ‘If the next game has 50 characters, that'll be enough… There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive."

This may lean towards the "too big to balance" size but in terms of number, but then again, this roster would be the smallest in newcomers added (Melee +14, Brawl +18, This+12) and in overall size expansion (Melee +14, Brawl +13, This +7) if it were the final cut. Also, congrats if you got through all this and happy belated 15th anniversary of Smash Bros since it's now past midnight as I finish this.

Last edited:

BindingBlade

Smash Lord

Newcomers:
- Rosalina (Confirmed)
- Dixie Kong (High Chance)
- Yuga (Extremely Low Chance)
- Ridley (High Chance)
- Palutena (Extremely High Chance)
- Waddle Dee (Low Chance)
- Little Mac (Extremely High Chance)
- Kalos Trainer (Froakie/Fennekin/Chespin) [Low Chance]
- Villager (Confirmed)
- Shulk (High Chance)
- Mega Man (Confirmed)

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
(Version 2.0)
This is my ideal roster. Sheik is still present as Zelda's transformation. Charizard, Ivysaur and Squirtle are also still present as Pokemon Trainer.

Cut - Snake (because I do not see him fitting in well nor do I believe he really deserves to be in a second time). Originally I had more than just Snake but the confirmation of Lucario and Toon Link made me change how I want/think my roster should look like.

Newcomers - Rosalina, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, King K. Rool, Little Mac, Ridley, Palutena, Saki (Replaces Isa from my original roster because I believe Saki would have a higher chance), Lyn, Isaac, Andy, and Lip. (Previously on here was Mona. Replaced by Little Mac after his announcement).

Overall - 49 characters (52 including transformations), 1 cut, and 13 newcomers. Mewtwo returns from Melee.

I don't see this as entirely plausible but I think this would work well (and be incredibly awesome :p). As for any unannounced newcomers, I hope at the very least they make an appearance in Smash 4. My most wanted newcomers are Saki (Or Isa), Isaac, King K. Rool, and Andy.

Last edited:

Narigo1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-2763-4068
I tried to make this roster realistic as possible. The only brawl character that didnt make the cut was Snake.

Attachments

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Jonathan's Roster.png

Here's my own personal roster. It has a total of 50 characters, not counting transformations, and no cuts from Brawl. I guess that makes this a pretty optimistic roster, but at the very least I don't think anything here is entirely implausible. So, as for the newcomers...

King K. Rool: This shouldn't take too much explaining. King K. Rool is the recurring main antagonist of the Donkey Kong franchise, and arguably the most unique character that could be pulled from it. Although he didn't appeare in the most recently released game, he's still a very important character to the series as a whole, not to mention one of the most popular Smash candidates.

Tetra: Not a choice I see too often, but I think Tetra would make a lot of sense as the next Zelda newcomer. She compliments Toon Link well by giving us the Zelda of his timeline of games while being significantly different from the Zelda we already have. And this is just me, but I think it would be a neat idea to have the two main characters of the opposing timelines be playable and have Ganondorf there to tie them together. Maybe that's why Link and Zelda have their Twilight Princess design...?

As a side note, Tetra does not have a transformation to Toon Zelda here. I figured that having that feature would hinder her in terms of being unique than just being Tetra would.

Ridley: Hopefully this goes without question here, but Ridley is the most recurring, important character to the Metroid series after Samus, and is more than deserving. And frankly, he's not too big. He's not even that big, really...

Palutena: Technically, I made this roster before the Palutena "leak," and at that point I thought her to be one of the more "add-on" characters. In other words, a character that would be neat to have and is justifiable, but not necessary. I think the leak boosts her chances, to say the least, as well as the other Kid Icarus images we've been getting recently. And no, having a statue does NOT de-confirm her. I think she's quite likely at this point. I'd be surprised if she wasn't it.

Mewtwo: First off, Lucario has almost no impact on Mewtwo's chances. Unless Pokemon (for whatever reason) does not get five character slots, there is no correlation between the two. Aside from that, Mewtwo has every reason to be in the next game. He's very popular, he has current AND traditional relevance, and he was already a character in a previous installment. Why they wouldn't add him in is beyond me. Definitely my most wanted newcomer/veteren.

Robin: Probably another odd choice, but I think that if we do get a new Fire Emblem character, Robin would be the best choice. He'd give us something brand new from the Fire Emblem series instead of the traditional blue-haired swordsman we already have, and shows off nearly all the aspects of Fire Emblem that Smash ignores at the moment, such as Magic, tactics, customizable characters, and potentially even the changing of weapons to fit your current needs. If we're looking for more unique choices for the game, Robin is a potential goldmine.

Little Mac: Pretty straightforward. Punch-Out was a big deal in the past, and with a recent, successful installment on the Wii, he seems like a pretty good miscellaneous choice. After all, he is Nintendo's main "fighting" character.

Takamaru: Probably one of the better Retro options. Despite only having one game that was Japan exclusive, he seems to have left quite an impact, making several cameos over the years, including Nintendo Land, which featured some of Nintendo's biggest franchises. All this could be pointing to future plans for the Takamaru character, and Smash is a great place to start.

Shulk: Frankly, Shulk is just a good character from a newer, but VERY popular game. Not a necessary character, but would be very nice to have for a lot of people.

Pac-Man: I'm really not sure whether or not we will see another third party character in this game, but if there is one, I think Pac-Man is the best choice for that role. He's by far one of the most iconic video game characters in existence, and already has a lot of ties with Nintendo. While not necessarily one of the most popular third party characters, his sheer levels of fame as a video game icon are justification enough.

Mii: Eh, another odd choice. Unlike a lot of people, I think Mii's could be a fun addition to the Smash roster. The ability to add yourself, or any other person into the game could be a really cool feature, especially if the character customization they've mentioned is actually customization of the Mii's movesets. I'm not saying they will be in the game, or have to be in the game, but I think their addition is possible and would be fun to use. Not to mention, I find their absence in the Find Mii and Wuhu Island stages a little interesting...

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Like my roster? It's a mix of prediction and wish list.

As for the undecided:

I hope you like.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Mega Bidoof's SSB4 Prediction Roster!

2/8/14

52 Slots. 57 Characters (not counting same-time fighters like Ice Climbers and Chrom & Lucina)

Explanations:

- Large Roster Size: We don't know what Sakurai is thinking size-wise, so there is no basis on what is too small or too large.

*Lack of Newcomer for Certain Series':
-Yoshi & Wario Series': The only reason I didn't add newcomer to these series is just because Mario has a newcomer and Donkey Kong does too. If I added a Yoshi or Wario newcomer it wouldn't be kind of Mario overkill. I also didn't have enough room, and some other series would have deserved a newcomer before them if I had more room.
-If I added them, they would be Kamek and Mona. Or Birdo and Waluigi if they counted as Yoshi and Wario characters.

-Kirby Series: The only real reason I didn't add one is because there isn't enough room on the roster without it getting to big. If I had one more space, I would have to add Bandana Dee. Bandana Dee just seems the most likely, especially with Dedede's "Waddle Dee Throw" not being shown, which @pizzadudemanguy pointed out in his Dedede Dojo update video.
-If I added one, it would be Bandana Dee.

-Pikmin Series: It just doesn't seem necessary to have a newcomer from this series. Nobody would really bring anything new to the table, unless it was an enemy like Plasm Wraith.
-If I added one, it would be The Drake's Crew.

-Mother/Earthbound Series: Mother is such a small series (though it is a beautiful and awesome series) that it doesn't really need another newcomer. Maybe in SSB5, but for now it would be weird to give it more characters than Metroid and F-Zero, and the same amount as Kirby and Donkey Kong.
-If I added one, it would be Porky Minch.

-Starfox Series: Kind of like Mother, it doesn't seem necessary. It doesn't need a newcomer this time around. It would kind of over represent the series, and it is fine with 3 characters for now.
-If I added one, it would be Krystal.

*Newcomers:

- Diddy & Dixie tag-team: Sakurai allegedly wanted to implement this idea in Brawl but couldn't due to time constraints. Why wouldn't he do it now?

-King K. Rool: He is one of the most wanted Smash 4 characters, and is the main villain of the Donkey Kong series, which is the only one of the main 4 Nintendo franchises that doesn't have a villain in it yet (Mewtwo is returning as a "villain" for Pokémon).

-Tingle: Sakurai seems to be looking for more unique newcomers this time around, and Tingle fits that bill for a Zelda newcomer! He is also a recurring role, and only competes with Impa in terms of importance. He is the Zelda newcomer makes the most sense in my opinions.

-Ridley: Almost everyone wants him. Ridley = not too big.

-Palutena: There was that leak that Sakurai indirectly acknowledged in a later "Pic of the Day" when he posted a picture of a Palutena statue. Whether or not the leak is true, Palutena makes sense as a newcomer. Kid Icarus was treated as a main Nintendo series in the trailer along the likes of Kirby and Pokémon, and I think it deserves a newcomer.

-Mewtwo: He is basically shoe-in. You could say his chances are lowered due to Lucario's return, but the fact that Sakurai is making Lucario different means that he could be differentiating him from what he is planning for Mewtwo. Not to mention Mewtwo is really wanted among the Smash fan-base, and was a poster child for X and Y.

-Chrom & Lucina: Since Chrom was the main protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening, and Awakening was a VERY big game for the Fire Emblem series, Chrom deserves a spot on the roster. But since a lot of people are arguing that Chrom would be too similar to Marth or Ike, he should be on an Ice Climbers-like team with Lucina (another character from Awakening). Being a two character team of swordsman, with one being heavy and strong, and one being fast, light, and quick, would bring a unique play style to the table for a character who is constantly called generic and too similar. Though he could also be on a team with Robin, your avatar from Awakening, who could use magic with him too. I would take either one, though I prefer a Lucina team.

- Samurai Goroh: I feel that F-Zero deserves a newcomer, despite it being a "dead" series. All of the other series from Smash 64 got newcomers for their series (Samus got Zero-Suit which technically is a newcomer). If Earthbound can have 2 characters (don't get me wrong, I love Earthbound, it's my favorite game of all time), then F-Zero can. As for why I chose Goroh, I feel he can bring more to the table and is arguably more important than Black Shadow. Goroh can have Electricity-based moves (since his vehicle is called "The Stingray." Though Black Shadow would be cool in taking Ganondorf's moveset so Ganondorf can get a new one.

- Mii: Mii is slapped into everything made by Nintendo where you can choose your character. He is in all the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games for Wii and WiiU, and has had multiple appearances in his own games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Pilotwings Resort. As for his moveset, I have no idea. He could have a somewhat customizable moveset, or a default sports-based moveset. I honestly have no idea.

- Captain N: In both Melee and Brawl, there was an obscure retro, or historical, character. While I am not saying one is guaranteed for SSB4, I think having one is likely and would be cool. Captain N from the old 80s cartoon/comic series would be a hilarious addition to the roster! The fact that he is not from a video game makes him even more of a surprise as a newcomer, and the fact that he was from a show that wasn't very well received makes it even more surprising! Captain N would be a hilarious addition to the roster, and as an obscure and historical character, he makes sense.

- Little Mac: He is another character that is basically shoe-in for Smash 4. Almost everyone wants him, he had a popular and successful reboot for the Wii, and he could bring an unrepresented popular franchise to Smash!

- Sandbag: Smash Bros. has had some original characters (Master/Crazy Hand, Primid, Tabuu) and I think it is time for one to get in. An original Smash Bros. newcomer should be a classic one, and not a recent one like Primid or Tabuu from Brawl. Unless we were to get some sort of full-bodied Master/Crazy Hand, the obvious choice is Sandbag. It would be really funny and awesome to watch Sandbag to ironically beat up his foes with the home-run bat! He has an OK chance, but a very high chance if a Smash Bros. original character were to be included.

- Lip: Just like with obscure/hostorical characters, Melee and Brawl both has a retro character (Ice Climbers and Pit who is no longer retro due to Kid Icarus Uprising). Sakurai has shown to have a soft spot for Panel de Pon, so why not add Lip? There have been various Panel de Pon references in the Smash series (Lip's Stick item, Kirby garbage block transformation, and garbage block in Nintendogs 3DS stage), and I think it is about time to have Lip as a full-fledged newcomer.

- Pac-Man: Though Sakurai said that Namco-Bandai's involvement in the game doesn't guarantee they get a third-party, he also said that any 3rd party would have to be a very important character. Pac-Man fits that description very well! He is one of the most iconic video game characters right next to Mario, and was one of the first arcade games that revolutionized gaming and went down in history forever. Adding him would finish the list of the most famous video game characters: Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
My attempt to make a Smash 4 Roster that everyone would at least be "okay" with, while keeping the number under 50 Tried to remain realistic while still having fun. My personal dream roster would be different (really want Simon Belmont!) but I think this is a good compromise between something that could actually happen and everyone's individual wish lists.

The two franchises I am iffy on here are Fire Emblem and Donkey Kong, I almost included the Dixie-Diddy team and I really wanted to include Roy, but I think an Awakening new comer of some sort is more likely if we only get 3 FE characters. Isaac, Samurai Gorrah, and Lip (I don't really like Krystal, but she was also on the fringe) almost made the cut as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
What I would like to see as the roster:

- Characters like toon link, wolf and lucas are unnecessary.

- Profesor Oak would use Tauros, Exeggutor and Arcanine (his unused team from the original games). As you can see, I am a fan of Gen I. Red would keep his same team from Brawl.

- A new moveset for Ganon, possibly based around his sword.

- Paper mario would be an extremely unique character.

What I actually think the roster will look like:

2/12/2014

This isn't a prediction per say, but imo what the roster should look like in a perfect world, where Sakurai listens to his fans:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
UPDATED 13/02/14: Updated Little Mac icon and added Diddy-Dixie tag team

I figured that I might as well share my roster thoughts, seeing as it's an ostensible rite of passage 'round these parts.

So, here's my current SSB4 Roster:

This is a 52 character roster (50+Sheik+ZSS), composed of 36 Veterans and 14+2 Newcomers. Veterans are in Blue, Newcomers are in Green, Third Parties are in Yellow, and Cuts are in Red.

Breakdown is as follows:

VETERANS:
-In terms of Veterans, we have all Brawl characters save Pokemon Trainer (reasoning further below). This includes the Original 12, as I don't think Smash would quite be Smash without them.

-Mewtwo's classification is unique, since he is a technically a Veteran and a Newcomer. I chose to make him a Newcomer, since I define Veteran as being a character that appeared in the previous game. Whatever the case, there is much in Mewtwo's favour (considered for all Smash games, a non-clone Melee veteran, was partially developed for Brawl, but was cut for time constraints, has renewed relevance thanks to X&Y/Pokemon Origins, etc.).

Plus, I greatly enjoyed him in Melee, and found his absence in Brawl greatly unfortunate. So Mewtwo returns.

-I decided to cut out the Pokemon Trainer and retain Charizard. First, while the character concept was very novel and fitting for Smash (as well as a no-brainer for Pokemon characters), the Stamina gimmick and the shared slot placed limitations on all three Pokemon.

With Charizard becoming one of the poster boys of the Mega Evolution concept via X&Y/Pokemon Origins (as well as being iconic in his own right), he has the most reason to be in the new Smash of the trio, especially if they incorporate his Mega Evolution features. Plus, I personally enjoyed playing Charizard out of the trio, so there's that.

Barring a standalone Charizard, a secondary Pokemon character would consist of a Pokemon Trainer with more recent Pokemon in the mix. The only Pokemon game I've ever really played was Pokemon Stadium on the N64; I've never played the handheld games, so I don't keep track of Generations (therefore meaning that the choice for new Pokemon trios is irrelevant to me).

What would be nice, though, is if the Stamina gimmick is removed, or at least tweaked. Or, allow the player to choose individual Pokemon from the select screen (much as you can choose to start out with Sheik or ZSS). And of course, gendered costume swaps for the Trainer themselves would be a must.
NEWCOMERS
-First off, no new Kirby, Star Fox, Yoshi, Earthbound, F-Zero, Wario, or Pikmin characters. I find that Brawl has managed to include the essential characters for these franchises (main characters, supporting cast, main villains/rivals), and so they remain untouched for now.

Of them all, though, if any were to get a Newcomer, it would be F-Zero, simply because Captain Falcon has been in four games now, but F-Zero has yet to gain another character. You might say the same for Yoshi, but he's the face and name of his franchise - and much like Wario, he represents a spin-off of the Mario franchise, unlike F-Zero, which is its own original series.

-We have the five currently known Newcomers - Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina & Luma, Mega Man, and Little Mac.

-Dixie Kong joins the crew as a partner to Diddy Kong. The mechanic would work much as it did in DKC2; you have an "active" Kong, who is playing on the field, and a "passive" Kong who follows the active Kong along the background plane (in the same way that Nana closely follows Popo). At the press of a button (Down B, Tautnts, etc.), the active and passive Kongs trade places.

This was what was supposed to happen in Brawl, but due to time constraints, Dixie was cut, and Diddy made a standalone debut. For the sake of DK completionism and nods to canon, a Diddy-Dixie duo would be a fitting choice.

-King K Rool is the second DK Newcomer. K Rool is the arch enemy of the Kong tribe, being the villain of the original DKC trilogy, as well as DK64. By adding him, you would fill in an essential spot as the DK villain. You would also increase the number of Heavyweight characters (which thus far includes DK, Bowser, and DDD). In addition, K Rool has plenty of moveset potential mined from his boss appearances (boomerang crown, blunderbuss, copter pack, shockwave, etc.), and he has an unhinged lunacy and zaniness that would complement the world of Smash pretty well (i.e. among the Smash Rogues Gallery, he's definitely the Joker).

And again, with both Dixie and K Rool, the DK section has acquired all of its essential characters, so SSB4 might as well go all in on this front.

-Next, we have a Zelda Newcomer. I've chosen Ghirahim for a few reasons. First, I enjoyed the character in Skyward Sword, and I think his cartoony aesthetic and potential moveset (teleport, magic, sword, flying daggers, skin armour) would be a great fit for Smash. He was also the central villain of Skyward Sword***, the big Zelda console title since Brawl (and we already have a Skyloft stage on the Wii U version).

I recognize the chances of the other contenders, however. Tingle, for his recurring presence in Zelda; Vaati, for his recurring role as an antagonist in the Four Swords and Minish Cap handheld titles; and Tetra, as she would be the second Zelda character from the Toon continuity, which would help balance out the mainstream/toon representation among the Zelda characters in Smash.

Of them all, I think Tetra is the likeliest, and Ghirahim was a one-time villain. Still, I personally prefer Ghirahim, so he makes the cut.

***Demise was the true antagonist of SS, but Ghirahim had the most active role in the story, and the most screentime. And Demise isn't very feasible for Smash anyway.

-Ridley appears as a new Metroid character. While Zero Suit Samus technically consists of a second Metroid character, she and Samus are one and the same. After Samus herself, Ridley is the most optimal choice, as he the second-most recurring character in the Metroid series (after Samus), is a direct arch enemy to Samus (both as a recurring boss and having deep ties to Samus in Metroid lore), and already has prominent Smash presence (64 sprite, Melee opening, Brawl boss battles).

After Ridley, the only feasible choices would be the other Hunters, or characters from Other M (such as Anthony Higgs). But Ridley is certainly the most deserving. His canon size (which already fluctuates between Metroid games) is not an issue; if Sora wants him in, they'll work him in (and they're professional game developpers, not Internet dissenters ;)). And His status in Brawl as a boss need not be an obstacle, especially since an expansive SSE-like campaign has been confirmed to not be returning.

He would certainly be the largest character in the game - if not by body size, then certainly on account of his wingspan. And while he'd be awkward on the ground, he'd be the king of the skies. If he's to get in, they'll probably take his Other M design - but much as with Samus, they'd most likely tweak and streamline his look.

-Palutena is the Kid Icarus Newcomer. After the successful KI revival via Brawl and the KI Uprising 3DS game, the KI series has room to expand. After Pit, Palutena is next in line, as she is a prominent character and the namesake of the Japanese series title (Palutena's Mirror). I haven't played the KI games, but I figure that she would be a heavy magic user, alongside using her staff.

-Robin is the Fire Emblem Newcomer. I've never played FE games. It seems that Chrom is the star of the most recent title (Awakening), but Robin is apparently a sword/magic user. We already have a graceful, lithe swordsman (Marth), and a heavy, fire-based swordsman (Ike); a third FE character would ideally distinguish themselves from either of these paradigms.

Chrom is probably the most likely FE Newcomer, but he may not have enough to distinguish him in the same way that Robin can. Plus, Robin is apparently the "avatar" of the player in Awakening, and has male/female counterparts (which translates nicely to male/female alternate costumes).

-Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles makes the cut for brand new series. I haven't played Xenoblade, but it seems pretty interesting. Plus, Xenoblade was a Wii exclusive, and Monolith Soft has worked with Nintendo on many projects in the past. I figure this "slot" was a toss-up between Shulk and Isaac from Golden Sun (which I also haven't played); since I didn't want the roster to be too large, I couldn't include everyone, so I went with Shulk in the end.

-Takamaru is the "Retro" pick, hailing from the 1986 NES game Nazo no Murasame Jō (Mysterious Murasame Castle). I haven't played it, but apparently, Murasame is to Zelda as Kid Icarus is to Metroid. All four of these series debuted 1986, so Takamaru is the only one left to complete this Famicom Quartet. Not to mention that he hasn't been forgotten by Nintendo, with Murasame having its own minigame in Nintendoland on the Wii U, as well as appearing as a playable character in other fighting games (a Murasame song appeared in Brawl's soundtrack as well, for what it's worth).

Having an actual samurai swordsman would be very neat, as he would play very differently from other Smash swordsmen. He also has spells on his side, such as invisibility, fireballs, and so forth. Of all the possible retro/classic/obscure candidates, Takamaru is the one with the best chances (and personally, the coolest).

-Lastly, we have Pac-Man as a Third-Party character. This would bring us four Third-Parties, in addition to Sonic, Mega Man, and Snake. Snake's return is contingent on Nintendo and Konami working out an arrangement, though I don't see why Kojima would opt out of including Snake once more, so I've kept him (and this, in addition to Snake's unique projectile/tool-heavy playstyle, and myself being a big MGS fan).

To round out the roster, I decided to include one more Third-Party. Pac-Man is a highly iconic and renown video game character. And with Namco-Bandai co-developing SSB4 alongside Sora, Pac-Man's chances aren't negligible.

This doesn't mean that Namco-Bandai will be getting any special consideration, however. And there are other Namco and/or Bandai characters (and Capcom/other companies) that could make for less orthodox inclusions. However, Pac-Man would definitely be in the pool of the most probable Third-Party choices, so I've added him to the roster.

-I didn't add Mii (they would fit into the Random slot). The Miis are the mascots of the Wii and Wii U systems, so their absence in SSB4 would actually be kind of surprising. The reason I didn't include them was because I'm undecided on how they would fit into the game.

If the Miis are not customizable (i.e. they represent the Mii concept as a whole), then I'd expect the Mii to derive moves from the Wii Sports/Wii Play/Nintendoland/etc. series of games. If the Miis are customizable in appearance, then I'm not sure I'd want Mii to be in the main roster; maybe they could be in some special Mii-only mode where you could customize your appearance and moveset to your heart's content. And besides, we already have the Villager as an avatar character (alongside Robin in my own roster, and WFT being a Wii emissary).

So yeah. This roster may not be the most original or unique or cutting-edge. But then again, a great many others have already articulated at length the merits of all these characters, and I find myself agreeing with many of these arguments, which has swayed the selection of my roster picks.

This roster is subject to change, but it represents my ideal roster for the time being. My most desired characters include Ridley, King K Rool, and Mewtwo; if at least those three get in, they'll I'll be mightily pleased. :)

Lastly, I made a Starting Roster:

It has 27 characters (19 Veterans + 2 Transformations + 5 Newcomers + Charizard). Brawl had a lot of Newcomers in its starting roster, but I think SSB4 should hold most of the Newcomers back this time around (to add further incentive to unlock characters, among other things).

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
My personal guess:

Dixie and Diddy Kong: I believe Sakurai might try to make them work together as a paired character again
King K. Rool: Dunno, maybe I just want him to be in the game. Plus, he is popular in both Japan and here in the west
Toon Zelda and Phantom Zelda: I believe Phantom Zelda, the believed to be Assist Trophy, is actually Toon Zelda transformed
Ridley: Sakurai is teasing us so much about the Pyrosphere. He would have shown Ridley already, should he be a stage hazard
Palutena: Pretty much confirmed imo.
Mii: I believe the E3 leak
Shulk: Wishful thinking, but I think his chances are actually pretty good
Robin: Wishful thinking, I just don't want another blue-haired FE character. Also, I love avatar characters
Takamaru: The most likely retro character to be revived in SSB
Pac-Man: As I said, I believe the E3 leak.
Mewtwo: Returning veteran from Melee, most people like it, so it is almost a shoo in.

I cut Wolf and Snake. Wolf because I think it would be >the one< to be cut, should Sakurai need to. Snake because I just don't see returning, since most MGS games aren't even released for Nintendo consoles and I doubt Sakurai will keep the character just because he is a friend of Kojima. But who knows.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
can I post mine? I always update when someone is added. =P

LAST UPDATE: 05/24/2014

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
It's massive, I know. But if I was in charge of selecting the roster, this is what it'd be. And, I think, it'd be just about perfect. Red = unlockable.

Wishlist Roster Roster.png

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
FEB 25/2014

This is what I think is a very possible roster.

Zelda turns to Sheik, Toon Zelda turns to Tetra and Samus turns to ZS Samus.

PREV ROSTER:

FEB 16/ 2014

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
11/10/2013
Here's mine

No Cuts

Newcomers
-Roy
-Mewtwo
-Paper Mario
-King K. Rool
-Samurai Goroh
-Ridley
-Isaac
-Shulk
-Ray
-Excitebiker
-Takamaru
-Little Mac
-Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer
[COLLAPSE=45 Characters]
If I were to size down my roster to 45 characters, this is what it would look like.
Cutting
-Ray
-Roy
-Lucas
-Wolf
-Excitebiker

[/COLLAPSE]

12/24/2013

Character Changes

Rosalina: I obviously had to update with the confirmation of Rosalina. The obvious replacement was Paper Mario because 6 Mario characters is asking for a bit much and I never really found him too likely anyway.

Duck Hunt Dog: I decided to replace my retro from Excitebiker, to DH Dog. Asking for a complex bike riding character is a bit much given the amount of effort and developement time it would take, so I decided to remove him, despite how much I want him. But the reason I chose the Dog as a replacement was because of his history with Nintendo. He's one of the biggest (if not the biggest) Nintendo All-Star that hasn't been added. He's a staple in gaming and pop culture, and is an icon of Nintendo and the NES era. Even if he's not the likeliest character in most people's eyes, I'd still say he's more than deserving of a spot.

Dixie Kong: With DK being such a prominent series, and Tropical Freeze's promotion I felt that a 4th character would make a lot of sense. I didn't want to take out K. Rool either and Dixie Kong's iconic-ness, and her inclusion to Tropical Freeze made me feel that she still deserved to be added, even if K. Rool's included as well. So to add her, I had to remove someone else. It was between Ray, and Goroh, and ultimately I chose Ray. Samurai Goroh's much more iconic and important to Nintendo, and F-Zero's gone long enough without a second rep so I felt that Goroh was still the better choice.

2/17/2014

Current Roster

This time around, I decided to change the layout to a more unique style.

The newcomers include:
Villager
Mega Man
Rosalina
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
King K. Rool
Takamaru
Samurai Goroh
Isaac
Palutena
Ridley
Shulk
Mii
Pac-Man

Veterans cut:
PKMN Trainer

Veterans returning:
Mewtwo

Total Number of Characters - 49

Tyeforce

Smash Apprentice
Haven't been to this site in ages, but I popped in to take a look at the rosters here. Might as well post mine, too!

Here's my current roster for Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U:

Last edited:

MrAmaboKcorb

Smash Rookie
NNID
AmaboKcorb
Here's my predictions. I couldn't figure out how to add Shulk/Chrom without messing up the layout. It's a very safe roster. Hopefully Sakurai blows our minds with the real roster.
Predictionroster3.png

SyanRullivan

Smash Rookie
So I had to put it in paint to put it up here. I'd like to introduce my self as of today I am no longer a lurker here this is my first post on smashboards. So here's my roster. The blue are the starters which only includes the original 12. The red are all of the veterans from Melee and Brawl. The green are the confirmed newcomers. The yellow are newcomers that I feel fit, or are ones I would like in myself. I believe this would be a decent roster and I'm quite proud of this as I built it off of which characters are next to each other in the previous games (note the similarity of the starters with the way the select screen was in the first one).
Legit Roster.png
I just realized Palutena is green she should be yellow. Also I threw Tabuu in last so it would all fill out.

Last edited:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
~ deleting because the one i really wanted isnt getting in so i dont really care to update this anymore

Last edited:

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Here's my predicted roster:

Smash Wii U Roster.png

Confirmed newcomers:

Rosalina & Luma
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Villager

Returners:

Mewtwo

Further predicted newcomers + reasoning:

King K. Rool: DK series can use another rep, and although Dixie is a safe bet, I think K. Rool would have options for a unique moveset. If I were Sakurai and had to pick one of them, I'd go for K. Rool for sure. That being said, Sakurai is unpredictable at worst, so yeah.

Ridley: Metroid needs another representative, and he's the most recurring and important villain of the series. He's a highly-demanded character amongst the smash fanbase and could be scaled down to be a reasonable size. I can picture him a bit larger than Bowser, but in a hunched posture as in Super Metroid.

Palutena: Easily the second most important Kid Icarus character, with the only other possibility being Medusa, who fills both the female and villain representative criteria well. That being said, I'd bet on Palutena over Medusa.

Chrom: Perhaps the most advertised and important character of the most recent Fire Emblem game, Chrom is...another blue-haired sword wielding person. For some reason, I don't see Robin taking precedence over Chrom. Lucina, maybe? Or maybe even Micaiah from Radiant Dawn? Awakening was a very successful FE game and really made a breakthrough in North America, so I think it will be acknowledged with a new character in Smash either way.

Shulk: Shulk represents a new series with a strong fanbase. Xenoblade did pretty damn well and received highly critical praise. It's potentially either getting a sequel or a spiritual successor in the upcoming game known as X, and so it seems like Nintendo and Monolith are making it into a franchise. I can easily see Shulk being included.

Takamaru: I'm not really too bent on having Takamaru in there, but he seems to be highly demanded and has a decent possibility. He's cameo'd in a few games as of late and had an attraction in Nintendo Land, so Nintendo's at least giving him some attention and exposure. He's a bit iffy I think, but we'll have to see what happens.

This is a roster that assumes no cuts have been made. With the early announcement of Toon Link, followed by later announcement of Lucario returning, I'm kind of getting the idea that the entirety of the Brawl cast will return. A few thoughts on potential cuts:

Wolf: If I had to cut someone, I would have a tough choice choosing between Wolf or Falco. Wolf overall feels much more unique from Fox than Falco does...but Falco has seniority. Therefore, O'Donnell would be the first character I'd cut.

Lucas: I don't think Lucas will get the axe, despite the fact that many think he will. He was originally planned for Melee, and although he is similar to Ness, I don't think Mother will lose a character. Perhaps Sakurai will change up Lucas' moves a bit to make him more unique, but I was actually pretty glad with how he turned out in Brawl.

Ike: I hope Ike doesn't get cut. People generally really like the character and he has an incredibly fun and rewarding play style, so I don't think he will be removed.

Snake: Many think Snake won't return, but I think we'll see him again. He has one of the most unique movesets of the entire roster, and I can't see him being ditched just because there haven't been many MG games on Nintendo consoles lately. This was also true around the time of Brawl, and yet he made an appearance.

Not sure why people think Pokemon Trainer will be removed either, as he has very unique mechanics. I feel like Sakurai will make him work.

Just my roster and thoughts. Figured I'd put it up in the thread!

Mugiwara no Luffy

Smash Rookie
After the recent character reveals and what I've read in that one thread about characters that are popular outside of the US, I decided to completely revamp my roster. Needless to say I'm MUCH happier with how this one turned out as opposed to my previous ones, so I don't think I'll need to change it again (though I've said similar things in the past so we'll see... :p). First off, here's my ideal roster. This one purely features characters I'd really like to see included, and it isn't as restrictive with regards to cutting popular characters (or keeping certain ones in i.e. Snake).

My Ideal SSB4 Roster:

Alternatively, here's my "logical" roster prediction. Basically what it sounds like, it's what I think the final roster might look like based off of characters that are highly requested (on a worldwide basis), hints dropped by Sakurai, etc. ;)

My Logical SSB4 Roster Prediction:

Lastly, I'd like to point out that in both rosters Ganondorf would have his moveset be completely revamped, while Black Shadow would get a moveset that would be very similar to GD's old one. Also, the "Chrom & Lissa" icon should actually be a "Chrom and Lucina" icon, but my version of roster maker didn't have an icon for them. XD

Any thoughts on these? =)

Last edited:

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Prediction Roster.png

Hey.. I haven't posted here in ages...
Here's my roster. The borders indicate their chances.
Green- Confirmed
Red- Likely
Yellow- Not as likely.

-Reasonings-
Toad- There are already too many Mario characters, but it is Mario. It's the franchise that built the company, they deserve it. Toad has been there for everything and I think he deserves a shot. He could be the representative of the spin off games (Mario Kart, Party, Tennis, Golf) and have a moveset inspired by that.

Isaac- I never played a Golden Sun game, but there was a recent game that came out, and Isaac was supposedly likely before. Works for me.

Dixie- With Tropical Freeze I don't think there's much debate for Dixie. I mean you could go with Cranky, but no thanks. Dixie is cool and should join.

King K. Rool- I dunno about him. On the one hand he is cool and a worthy addition, on the other hand he isn't super relevant as of late. But that doesn't stop Little Mac now does it?

Ridley- We need another Metroid Rep. Dark Samus IMO is basically another Samus (I'm sure they are different enough). Ridley is the only choice IMO. Also he isn't too big so shush.

Black Shadow- Kinda an iffy choice. I dunno if F Zero deserves another rep, but here he is regardless. He'd have Ganondorf's moveset and Ganondorf would get a new moveset befitting a warlock.

Impa- Honestly it is either her or Ghirahim. The latter is more likely but he freaks me the hell out and Impa is awesome so there. She could have Sheik's moveset, which would separate Sheik from Zelda finally.

Chrom & Lucina- Awakening sold really well. There will be a rep. Rather than have another blue haired swordsman I figured adding two would make sense. Awakening features the new Double up option for combat (at least I think its new), so it works on that level, and it adds variety to the Fire Emblem cast. Robin is likely too, but unless they restrict it to the male or female version I don't know how that'd work.

Mewtwo- The greatest character to ever be cut. He should return because he is awesome. Bottom line.

R.O.B. - I dunno if he'll come back honestly. Up in the air here. I added him for the sake of preserving the Brawl Roster.

Palutena- Pretty much leaked already no? She seems the most likely choice from Kid Icarus and adds a female character. Works.

Wonder Red- New title, Interesting character. Works for me.

Mii- They are everywhere with Nintendo now. Makes sense. We can have Sean Connery fight Superman in Smash. Fun stuff.

Pac Man- Namco is helping with the game from what I hear. Pac Man is the Namco Mascot pretty much. Bam. KOS-MOS I hear is another option since she was in Project X-Zone.

Bayonetta- Two Sega/ Platinum Games reps is a bit much I know, but she has an exclusive sequel to a game previously on non nintendo consoles now exclusively on a Nintendo one with talks to keep her on the system. That should be celebrated. Also she is already programmed to be a fighting character. She needs to be in as many fighting games as possible. And yes they can make her Teen rated. Not hard. Ask Snake.

Ryu- Capcom may get another rep. Probably not. If they do it's gonna be Ryu. I'd rather have C. Viper, or Cammy, or Blanka, or anyone else, but it'll be Ryu.

Snake- In the process of preserving the Brawl Roster I kept Snake on there. Snake is likely to return as much as he is unlikely to return. It's up to Kojima and Sakurai I think. I'd love him to come back.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom